The Simpsons Skewer Videogames at "E4"

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
The funniest bit was Marching Band. The concept of a Kinect game where you march in rhythm to John Philip Sousa while holding a tuba is just plausible enough to be real. It's just icing on the cake that the game actually makes you study for 12 hours on the bus-trip back home. What an accurate simulation of being in band!
Study? Were you actually in a marching band? It's all I can do to keep my damned students off each other the whole ride back, while trying to keep the bus on the road.

Honestly, though, while Sousa is hardly timely music for today's marching band, it's good to know that school bands are remembered outside the band room at all. As a band director, it gives me just a tiiiiiny bit of hope for my future...

(But seriously, were you in band?)

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Meh, the E4 part was funny but only lasted a couple minutes.

Best part of the episode was Homer summing up Hipsters: "Takes a lot of guts to all wear the same hat."

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
funnier then familly guy probably south park had a terible 15th season (or at least the first half was terible and the second was nice) but its overall better then the simpsons
just my opinion...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Lattyware said:
If you are going to compare it to other animated shows, then you are forgetting Archer, which remains the funniest animated (hell, maybe the funniest full stop) thing on TV.
As a fan of Frisky Dingo (the show the makers of Archer had before) I challenge you to a fight to the death.

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
It was a much better episode then they have previous shown in the past few seasons.

However I wish it was a full episode about gaming and not the first few minutes the rest followed by food. They could have done two separate episodes.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
>Funnier than Family Guy

Oh dear god I lol'd. Does anyone still think Family Guy is funny!?

Despite what people say, I grew up in the 90's watching The Simpsons, and I still do. And I still think it's the second best mainstream comedy sitcom out there, first place belonging to South Park, though, it's debatable whether you call that a sitcom or insanity.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
hurricanejbb said:
Saw them, the jokes are pretty flat IMO. You might have seen similar stuff done on online forums 3-4 years ago.
This is exactly why I have problems with "parody" as a part of mainstream culture. It seems like a thing that just doesn't need to exist at all anymore in the Internet age. Whether it's coming from The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, a Seltzer and Friedberg movie, Mad Magazine, or Weird Al, all the best jokes have already been made and played out on the Internet by the time you can get your thing released. The only thing they really have going for them (except Seltzer and Friedberg movies), besides on rare occasions having better jokes than the ones the Internet came up with, is the prestige that supposedly comes from getting parodied by something as mainstream as they are.
Yes, and all the best jokes on the internet are accompanied by people making endless strap-ons of the same joke but applied to other situations, thus eventually taking it to meme territory.

Regardless of whether or not the Internet can take credit for all these jokes, at least other mediums at least attempt to have something of a quality control meter. And when you consider how terrible shows like Family Guy are, think of how bad the internet really is.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
The Simpsons are watching Hollyoaks and bad Channel 4 comedies?

The sad thing is, I'm not sure even my fellow Brits will get that - TV is dead.

Ima842

Jan 8, 2011
Squilookle said:
E4!! Get it everyone? E4! Aren't we just so witty!?

Honestly- people still watch the Simpsons anymore? That's news to me...
You must be fun at parties.
By the way Is there a video of this episode, I didn't watch it.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh man, Dig Dug Revelations is spot on. I bet it's a FPS set in the near future.

TwistedEllipses said:
It's a shame that in the same episode they seemed to get confused between arcade and newer games. A bit afterwards, Homer goes into videogame mode in a first-person point-of-view style in order to get the kids into the Funtendo announcement. So when he's punched the screen goes red round the edges a la Call of Duty, but at the same time he has a health bar and has to eat to get back his health...
You are the worst nerd.

THE WORST NERD

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
While I get the jokes and think they're funny, this really shows to me that The Simpsons are running out of things to parody. Don't get me wrong,I'm glad that they're making video game jokes that are actually relevant, but I'm guessing most of the people that watch The Simpsons were like "...What?"

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
You forgot to mention the part where Bart finishes Guts of War II in 30 seconds and the developer standing there says, "I spent a year of my life on this game, I missed my twin daughters growing up."

I don't get why people don't like the Simpsons? What exactly is wrong with it? I still think it's funny. It never stopped being funny. Or at the very least entertaining.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
Baron von Blitztank said:
Uhhh, can someone explain that Assassin's Creed picture?
I really don't get it and while part of me doesn't want to, it's gonna get on my nerves all day so I must know
The Assassins Creed games are set in a variety of historical periods. This is one set in a period that is fundamentally incompatable with the gameplay and story of the game. Its like a Call of Duty game where you are brouht before congress to talk about Veterans benefeits.
Except that Assassin's Creed totally dropped the concept of a variety of historical periods after the second game.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Simpsons might still be funny if it didn't take them two major ideas to get out one show. Right here's a perfect example; they make fun of the video game industry for 5 minutes, then do 5 minutes on foodies, and I'm sure Lisa had some sub-plot where she was whining about whales.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I admit that the Simpsons are getting kinda old and should maybe retire, though that might make people whine about "How they want it to keep going" or some other bullcrap.

Just let it die, guys...