The Sims 2 And All 18 of Its Expansions Are Free on Origin

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Scorpid said:
Lol alright how about this one for you, its a bad idea. It reminds people that they were asked to buy nearly the exact same game with sims 3 and Sims 4 is probably going to be even worse since they've already said Pools and toddlers are out of the game, when everyone and their mother knows they'll be back in a expansion for 29.99.
I'm willing to take a bitter reminder that Sims 4 is going to suck if it means I get $200+ worth of stuff for free.

Also, The Sims 3 is "nearly the exact same game" as The Sims 2? PFFFFFFFFFF. They actually made a whole bunch of sequel-worthy changes and upgrades in Sims 3 that changes how interaction, travel, needs, etc. work and very much makes it its own game. You can't just say nonsense because it supports an incredibly tenuous point you want to make.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow, that is actually very nice of them. shame that i dont care for this game regardless but i give the thumbs up for EA for doing this.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Cool, downloaded it pretty quickly, updated it pretty quickly......wrong registration key for some shitty "fun with pets" add on. Can't play it.

Once again, the golden shimmer of joy is revealed to just be the light reflecting off a stream of piss.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Lightknight said:
It's on Origin though. So it's a higher cost than full price.
Oh, is hating on Origin still a thing? I could swear that fad had passed but maybe I need to update my calender.

Anywho, I've never been much of a Sims player, but shit if it's for free I may as well.

Geofuji

May 2, 2010
I know it's PR for Sims 4 but all I could think of is their previous statement about not wanting to cheapen their products after being asked why they don't behave more like Steam. : )

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Lightknight said:
It's on Origin though. So it's a higher cost than full price.

Honestly dude cheer up.

In other news Cool I can't get my disks to run on windows 8 so this will really help.

*downloads it*

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I loved (and still love) The Sims 2. 3 was kind of disappointing for me, and 4 is sounding like it will be the same. And while I don't love Origin, this will give me an easier way to install the whole thing in the future than having to pop in each disc for each expansion one at a time. Plus, there are lots of people who never played TS2 or never got all the expansions, who can now get it all at no cost.
EA really didn't need to do this really cool thing, but they're doing it anyway. I didn't expect I'd be saying this, but good on you, EA.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Even for free i cant bring my self to play that bore fest that is Sims 2. But im thinking my sister will, she was addicted to that game when it was first released.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I enjoyed 2, but refused to buy the expansions... base game was fun enough yet I wasnt about to join the expansion train.
3 was even better if you compared just the base games BUT its unplayable for me now as they moved the store from a link in the loading screen dialogue box to actually nagging the fuck out of you in game (unless there was a option to hide these items you bought with real cash from the game, I didnt stick around long enough to find out).

... 4 sounds like it will be even worse with the store, I wouldnt be all to surprised to see it 'evolve' into a free 2 play model but just changing the free 2 play part of the model.
If this game isnt going to be clawing at your wallets a month after release, I'll be really shocked.

Re-deemed that code though, free is free even if I dont bother with it ever... doesnt hurt to have it unlocked in case I get really nostalgic :p

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Huh. Now that you two mention it, I can't recall ever having paid for any of the diseases I've picked up in my lifetime.

So anyone have an access code for the clap? Figure I'd give it a go and see what it's like.

Free = Free!
The fact that you're comparing a digital distributor that essentially is the more pricey equivalent of Steam to disease leads me to believe you're not the most reasonable to deal with. Maybe that's hyperbole, but given some of your previous posts I'm worried you might be serious. Either way, you can sit in your folding chair of cynicism and (supposed) sense of superiority while I'll be having fun slowly destroying the confidence and happiness of each and every one of my Sim's acquaintances.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Mortis Nuncius said:
...but shit if it's for free I may as well.
Brian Tams said:
Whine all you want, but its free. Free. Free.
Huh. Now that you two mention it, I can't recall ever having paid for any of the diseases I've picked up in my lifetime.

So anyone have an access code for the clap? Figure I'd give it a go and see what it's like.

Free = Free!
Because Origin + The Sims 2 equals disease.

Please stop.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Well this obviously a marketing move much like the humble origin bundle was. but I see no reason not to take advantage of this like did with the humble origin bundle.

The only games in my origin library so far is the ones from the humble bundle and now the sims 2. The only money that was spent in all of this was giving money to charity thus Has I have not give ea a penny in origin.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
MinionJoe said:
Mortis Nuncius said:
...but shit if it's for free I may as well.
Brian Tams said:
Whine all you want, but its free. Free. Free.

Free = Free!

Mate Cheer the hell up it's a free game not a disease that renders you infertile.

Im not stupid I know it's them trying to get me to use Origin but I don't care, free game!!

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
Really tempted actually... I'm not going to regret putting Origin in my laptop am I?
EA changed their more questionable EULA sections a long while back so it shouldn't be an issue.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Nothing is ever truly free.

For EA, not only is this good publicity for the Sims 4, but having people install Origin is profitable, as that exposes more users to their online store, and gives them more of a market share.

Which, incidentally, it's why Steam keeps making all those sales.

I'm tempted to bite and get the Sims 2, but the thing keeping me back is the suspicion that the game will require launch of Origin whenever I want to play it, or some convoluted offline mode like Steam has.

Again, their objective is to make me used to using their frontend, so I don't have much hope I can set it up so I can play offline without Origin popping up (That's also my main gripe with all Steam games).