The slut issue

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
The word you're looking for is promiscuous. It is gender neutral and doesn't have a negative connotation. Slut is gender specific and generally unfair.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
matthew_lane said:
VoidWanderer said:
Let me put it this way, when you think of a 'player' who do you immediately think of? Specifically what gender?
None. Gamer is a gender nuetral term, that denotes neither men nor women, but people with an interest in gaming.

VoidWanderer said:
Now do the same thing for 'slut'.

Notice the difference?
You mean that sluts aren't people interested in gaming? I suppose that is a difference, but i don't see what it has to do with this conversation.
I'm pretty sure you're just a troll at this point, but I can't resist an opportunity to help a person in need.

Player, not gamer. Player as in someone who 'plays the field', and I don't mean in regards to football. It is commonly used to refer to someone with multiple sexual (sometimes romantic) partners. It is primarily masculine.

Slut, however, is the overwhelmingly majority of the time, used to denounce someone for doing the same as the example above. It is primarily feminine.

The point is, where a man is often praised for his sexual conquests, a woman is demonised for it. That is why 'slut' (y'know, or slattern) is an offensive term.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Nope, because you said jack shit about context originally. Sorry, can't really insert new things to fix your mistake. Btw, I mentioned social context there so...
Insert new things? Nope. Explaining why they have something to do with each other. Because you didn't see it. If you still dont see it, meh, I guess.
You added new bits to it when 'interpreting' it. Plus of course, you're jumping on my poor wording when it comes to 'has to do with each other' when the main bit was that it didn't address my argument.
My very first post was set up as thus

-Woman sleeps around a lot
-I call her a slut
-She cant handle the truth

When I asked you to expand on something, you basically said(correct this part if it's wrong)

-It has less to do with it being the truth
-generally it's an insult.

I said
-It being an insult is based on context.
-It has to be taken at face value with context is not give.

Your point I'm suppose to be addressing
-absurd to take it at face value
-it has social context added to it.

Me: Must be taken at face value when context isnt there
You: Cant be taken at face value because There's a context to the word.

Well there's the problem. We were contradicting each other from the get go.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I don't think the word slut is inherently a bad word to use, it's all about context and how people react to it. If the act that the title refers to is deemed taboo then it'll obviously be an insulting word when used, but it's not that the word is bad. I would argue that "cheater" and "liar" are both insulting words too, just to a lesser degree because cheating and lying haven't historically been as taboo.

A slut is a sexually promiscuous woman. So if a certain woman sleeps with many different men without hesitation, calling her a slut makes sense. What's wrong with that? It's a true statement about her according to the definition of the word. If the statement is true there's no reason why it's improper to use it.

-If the woman gets offended it's because she sees the connotation of the word (a promiscuous woman) as taboo. If she fits that description then she deserves the negative feeling that comes with the word slut because she fits a description that is taboo in her own mind.

-If the woman doesn't consider the connotation of being a slut offensive because she's okay with what it means, then she won't get offended by the word when used and once again is perfectly acceptable to use it.

I would say it only becomes inappropriate to use a word if it implies something that isn't true or exaggerates something to be worse than it really is. Calling a girl a slut just because she's cheated on you is obviously wrong and unfair. Similarly calling someone a liar, cheater, or even gamer if it's not true of them is wrong.

Datsle

Feb 4, 2009
Dressing up proactively or (Or with few clothes or w/e) isn't asking for it.
But doing that and walking through a bad neighborhood is seriously stupid.
/Don't go visit rapetown if you dislike beeing raped, even though its illegal.

I guess some of the negative vibe from the word slut comes from the lack of self-esteem sleeping around shows.

If you think highly of yourself and your qualities, you will wait for "someone" worhy.
If you constantly need validation from everything walking, you might sleep around just for them to say you are super pretty.

I guess. Thats the least sexy part of acting slutty in my opinion atleast. (Note, not gender specific)
I have a hard time falling for someone who hates herself.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
And look, we see you admit you didn't address my point. Simply by acting as if it is possible for there to be no context to it when the social context always remains.
Always? Always?

"My sister is a slut"

You dont personally know the person I'm talking about. You don't know the kind of envirnment either of us were in or what the people around us attributed slut to mean. You dont know if I even like her or not based on how I'm verbalizing it. You have no context. One would assume it means she sleeps around a lot.

There is the word without the context

Point addressed.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Yes, always. Shockingly enough society doesn't vanish when you talk about your sister.

Blathering on about OTHER possible parts of context doesn't erase that part.
So...what you're saying is that no matter what, because society colors the word as an insult, that you should not just take a word to mean what it's textbook meaning is?

Because if that is what you mean, I got to say that words are sometimes just what they are.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
matthew_lane said:
Thats because Slattern is also an Noun as Adjective. Kind of like how mountain & bike are both nouns, but if you combine them then mountain becomes an adjective. Slattern is the same: Its a noun as an adjective.
Ive never heard slattern as an adjective. Normal usage as an adjective would be slatternly. But the point remains that slut and slattern do not come directly from verbs, which is how all of the other examples are used in the context.

Game - v. to game; Gamer - someone who games.
Cheat - v. to cheat; Cheater - someone who cheats.
Lie - v. to lie; Liar - someone who lies.

There is no word meaning "v. to slut", nor is there a "v. to slattern". There is no slutter, or slatterner. There is no descriptor with the direct meaning of "somebody who sluts" or "somebody who slatterns". You can say "somebody who is slatternly", but as I said - that does not directly fit the pattern of the other examples.

A gamer is somebody who enacts the verb of "game". A slattern is not somebody who enacts the verb of "slut" - no such verb exists.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
Always assuming that a word has the more negative connotation is just as absurd. A large number of words can be used with other meanings, but you ant let your mind default on the lesser one.
Since it seems to become a state of "nuh-huh" "yuh-huh" between your and Mortai now, I think I'll try and tip the scales to hopefully settle this down a little before it ends up with angry Escapists.

Calling someone a '******' doesn't mean "respectable black individual" to most people just as how '"slut" doesn't mean "respectable woman who enjoys an active sex life."
While some people may use '******' casually, they are very few and far-between compared to the amount of people who do not use the word because the connotations the word has carried for decades. 'Slut' is a similarly old word and is very rarely used as anything but a term of offence so you'd have to justify your usage of the word.

Words have certain inescapable connotations. That may change in future, but right now (at least where I come from) calling someone a 'slut' you don't know will almost always end in you upsetting someone.

EDIT - To directly discuss your latest post: if society colours a word as insulting, then you'll have to justify yourself to that majority when using the word. It's as simple as that. If you don't justify yourself to the majority, you're insulting them and further perpetuating the insulting nature of the word. The only way you can get around it is if a group of people use it so often it loses all trace of meaning, like "fag".

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
I still think my suggestion of calling them Schwinns is the best.
To fit the pattern of adding er to the end, I think it would have to be Schwinn - v. to sleep with many people. Schwinner - n. a person who Schwinns. ;)

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Yes, always. Shockingly enough society doesn't vanish when you talk about your sister.

So...what you're saying is that no matter what, because society colors the word as an insult, that you should not just take a word to mean what it's textbook meaning is?

Because if that is what you mean, I got to say that words are sometimes just what they are.
Congratulations on fabricating something I did not say.

I'm saying there's always context to it due to the use in society. Do stop trying to add on strawmen.
Do stop making stuff up at every stage of the argument.

Notice how I put that in the form of a question? "What you're saying is..." I needed to be clear on your standpoint before I did anything else. Hopefully so you could stop with the "misrepresentation" BS.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Because slut also indicated weak morals and that the person is dirty. It's also tied to women rather than being gender neutral. The word you're looking for is promiscuous.

Slut is also more of a subjective thing than an objective thing.

MagunBFP

Sep 7, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
And look, we see you admit you didn't address my point. Simply by acting as if it is possible for there to be no context to it when the social context always remains.
Always? Always?

"My sister is a slut"

You dont personally know the person I'm talking about. You don't know the kind of envirnment either of us were in or what the people around us attributed slut to mean. You dont know if I even like her or not based on how I'm verbalizing it. You have no context. One would assume it means she sleeps around a lot.

There is the word without the context

Point addressed.

I know I'm coming late to this party (4 pages in 8 hours) but it always amazes me how much people love to hold onto negative implications, and their judgemental language. A slut is a woman who sleeps around alot. No individual word is negative, having sex isn't bad (unless you're a fundamentalist/prude) so the problem is the intent behind the word... but what if the intent behind calling someone a slut isn't mean, what if its just a general comment on how much sex they're getting?

Shadowstar could just be calling her a slut to illustrate the point that she has alot of sex. He could say that she's a slut and he's not... thats simply pointing out the difference between their sex lives. If you choose to see that as an attack or slander against his sister thats just because you either hold the value that lots of sex = bad person, or you assume that Shadowstar does... in very simple terms saying the earth wasn't the center of the universe was just Galeao stating a fact, not attacking God.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:

Congratulations on fabricating something I did not say.

I'm saying there's always context to it due to the use in society. Do stop trying to add on strawmen.
Do stop making stuff up at every stage of the argument.

Notice how I put that in the form of a question? "What you're saying is..." I needed to be clear on your standpoint before I did anything else. Hopefully so you could stop with the "misrepresentation" BS.
Was the textbook meaning of slut not posted in this very thread? Was it not clearly negatively coloured?
If slut is such a neutral term, walk up to any gal on the street and call her a slut, ask her if she is a slut and if she wants to be a slut.
Then go to any guy and do the same with player.