The Spoony One has been ejected from That Guy With the Glasses.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Azure-Supernova said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Fusioncode9 said:
And for the love of God stop whining about Scarlet. It was over a year ago, move on with your life.
I always wondered, what the hell happened there?
They broke up and Spoony never got over it. There was an incredible awkward video commentary where he drinks himself into a stupor and then decides to go off on one about the good old days when he was with her. I think it was one of the Twilight films.
He did? Link?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Khazoth said:
Azure-Supernova said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Fusioncode9 said:
And for the love of God stop whining about Scarlet. It was over a year ago, move on with your life.
They broke up and Spoony never got over it. There was an incredible awkward video commentary where he drinks himself into a stupor and then decides to go off on one about the good old days when he was with her. I think it was one of the Twilight films.
He did? Link?
Try and navigate his website, I don't know whether it's just me but I can't get on to the second page. I've noticed his Snow White and the Huntsman and Prometheus commentaries are missing off the front page too, so I have no idea what's wrong with the site at the minute.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Khazoth said:
Azure-Supernova said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Fusioncode9 said:
He did? Link?
I think this is the one.

KirinBoltIndora

Jun 25, 2012
I'm new here and I made an account to weigh in on this, and this will get wordy so I apologize, but I'll preface the "You have to admit such and such was prodding him on." crowd with a quote from Zen Buddhist philosopher Takaun Soho:

"If one's right-mindedness is correct when he is associating with others, he will not be insulted by them. Being insulted by others, one should realize that he had lost his own right-mindedness prior to the offense."

It's not about "misogyny jokes". It's about the attitude behind those jokes that is the problem. Spoony's attitude as of late has just sucked. Yeah, you can argue he's depressed. Yes, you can argue that his ex-girlfriend screwed him. Yes, you can argue that some people took swings against while he was already against the ropes.

It doesn't matter. Spoony put himself in this mess, by himself. He has no one to blame for his rotten behavior and shitty attitude that lead to all of this but. him. self.

"But depression--" Yes but depression. Spoony has depression. Ya know what, so did David Bohm. So did Mike Wallace. So do a lot of other people from all walks of life...including myself and several of my friends who legitimately suffer from bipolar disorder. And to a degree my depression caused me to do sort of the same things he has done, only I never lashed out at the people who were trying to help me at worst, thank god, and I never let me problems spill over to places where I would frequent on the internet, thank God, Billy Bob, and Buddha. My friends bent over backwards to help me and eventually I lucked out and I got over it and I will never let it happen again.

Spoony is in control of his own destiny here. He brought this on himself and it's very clear at this point that the only one that is going to dig him out of the hole he has dug is himself. Fortunately I've not see all the twitter drama and I never frequented his forums past his early days of his old site, but you can just tell from his vlogs and recent videos he's coming apart at the seams.

My associates who suffer from bipolar disorder have found ways of dealing with it. A man I work with takes medication AND has a child to raise as a single father. His bipolar disorder makes him feel miserable at times but he works through it cuz he's got a kid to take care that he cares deeply about. A good friend of mine with bipolar disorder was going through a rough patch in their life and invited a friend of theirs they met online who had problems of their own to live with them so that could give each other support. And they are both doing great today despite their problems. And at my friend's worst they'd make Spoony's rage look like a road flare compared to my friend's volcanic eruptions. Today my friend is so mellow you would have never known that they had these issues. Another friend of mine has bipolar disorder and they are married now. Another friend of mine spends time playing games online with another friend of ours that lives out of state who isn't so socially inclined.

I myself went from weighing less than 240 pounds to only 160 pounds within the span of a year. I suffered from major depression and anxiety attacks along with aches and pains triggered by depression. I kept going to the doctor convinced something was wrong with me. But it was all in my head. All of it. Looking back my depression nearly killed me, and gave me horrible medical bills. When people I knew gave me a chance to help bounce back from this I took it, and it was not easy. I'm still physically recovering from my problems over a year later with how badly I had wasted away.

I myself made a commitment to a lifestyle change so I wouldn't wind up back where I was this time two years ago. I go outside. I take walks, I get fresh air, I get some sunlight. My New Year's Resolution was to get a tan. I went from being paler than Noah at the beginning of this year to almost looking like an Indian in less than six months.

Now I'm not just gonna bust on his chops. But for me and my friends we all pulled ourselves together and worked past our problems because we wanted to fix them. He's got people that truly care about his well-being and he's just throwing it back in their face. The only person that can fix this mess is Noah himself. He has to want to fix it.

The real problem is that it's clear Noah spends too much time spending his life with the internet. He spends too much time on Twitter looking for justification for his crappy behavior. He needs a lifestyle change before he can even begin to recover to what has happened to himself and his career. I know he has heart problems but the man needs to go outside and start taking walks. He needs to find a place to ride a bicycle around in a way that isn't gonna be too strenuous. He needs to get some sun and fresh air.

Next, he needs to start spending time with people that are not his internet friends. As in people that he can actually physically speak with face to face. Part of what is enabling this is the fact that all the people he associates with may be more accustomed to his behavior since they too are internet celebrities, but even they have their limits to what they'll put up with, hence him getting kicked off the site/him quitting/whatever. His social inhibitions are waaaaaay out of alignment and he needs to spend some time with regular people to get them fine tuned again (if they ever really were to begin with).

He needs to possibly get a real job again, somewhere, which would force him to get his social inhibitions further in check and give him something to do besides be on the internet. I cannot stress enough how much keeping yourself physically occupied can go a long way towards fixing your emotional issues. Noah has all this pent up stress and anger and doesn't have a physical outlet for it so it's being dumped on his fans and his friends. Working and exercising will allow for all that to be bleed off in exertion rather than on his twitter account.

Moving might be a good idea, also. People are flooding into Texas because of job opportunities. A change of scenery might help (and Angry Joe does live in Texas so he's near physical support). Or anywhere where he is near tangible human support.

I don't wanna see this happen to him. He's in a bad place but he's put himself in this situation. He's become an internet celebrity and he's emotionally unable to get a handle on it, and he needs to. Badly. The best way to "stick it" to those he thinks have wronged him is to get his act together and continue his career from here like an adult and man up for his mistakes. There's no shame in suffering from depression, but don't use it as an all-encompassing go-to excuse for your poor personal conduct, because it isn't, and his fans are tired of it, and the contributors at TGWTG were clearly tired of it and didn't wanna watch someone as talented as himself self-destruct further.

Anyways, this was painful to write, because it's painful to remember my own personal bouts with this crap, but I recovered and I have that sobering experience to weigh in on this whole situation pretty intimately today. My best wishes to Noah, hopefully he'll get his head back on straight. I want to see him and TGWTG succeed because these guys, whether they realize it or not, are unwittingly spearheading the future of TV, as in we'll be watching it via the internet on our HDTVs instead of through traditional media outlets. Spoony has inspired a lot of people to do what he does for a living, and that alone is reason enough to get his act together so he keep moving forward and inspiring others to make entertainment for themselves and others.

VoiceOfTheVoiceless

Jun 2, 2011
What I found odd is that none of the longer tenure reviewers have commented. JewWario, AngryJoe, NChick, Linkara, Snob, Bennett, etc all have been quiet. Only ones who've said anything were Lupa & Phelous (who was probably expected to since he's dating Lupa). I heard the stream with LordKat and you could just tell her smugness in that she got this accomplished. She then kept trying to hide it but you could hear in her voice at times she's happy.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Do you give lessons by any chance? I'm honestly impressed by your ability to shrug off passive agressiveness without crossing the line yourself or veering into condescending. I'm seriously in awe.

KirinBoltIndora said:
Nice first post and well, i'm hardly part of the cool kids circle on the escapist but lemme welcome you all the same ;)

I'd caution about comparing you and your friends cases with anothers as the factors might be different but I agree with the general gist of it and particular the part about him spending too much time on the internet and on twitter, which doesn't do him any favors and only fools fans into thinking they are more in touch with him then they really are.
Between that and his occupation being a net critic on the net, its a recipe for disaster for someone like spoony.

Also agree that moving to live with Joe or any of his actual real life (NOT internet) friends would be a great move.

Nov 28, 2007
GeedAwesome said:
What I found odd is that none of the longer tenure reviewers have commented. JewWario, AngryJoe, NChick, Linkara, Snob, Bennett, etc all have been quiet. Only ones who've said anything were Lupa & Phelous (who was probably expected to since he's dating Lupa). I heard the stream with LordKat and you could just tell her smugness in that she got this accomplished. She then kept trying to hide it but you could hear in her voice at times she's happy.
Actually, Angry Joe has come out in support of Spoony, saying that he still intends to do crossovers with him regardless of whether he is affiliated with CA or not. And from what I hear, Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob) has also come out in support of Spoony.

Nov 28, 2007
And That said:
Wow I'm late to the party.....

Am I really the only person who supports LordKat in all of this?

The man is INCREDIBLY protective of his fans, and was never afraid to state his opinion.

I was a fan of his since he got banned from this community over your (kinda laughable) Madden review. He stated his opinion, you banned him for it, and he just moved on.

As for the whole spoony thing, "imma tie you up in my basement and rape ya" might be taken in good humor from someone like... Zac Efron , for example, but not a 30 year old guy with greasy hair that is making a living reviewing Final Fantasy. If that sound blunt, sorry, but that's probably what went through Lupa and company's mind when they first heard it.
Don't say stuff you can't afford to say, I guess is what the moral of this story is...
You do realize that LordKat said that Spoony should take Miles' gun and go kill himself, right?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
And That said:
Wow I'm late to the party.....

Am I really the only person who supports LordKat in all of this?

The man is INCREDIBLY protective of his fans, and was never afraid to state his opinion.

I was a fan of his since he got banned from this community over your (kinda laughable) Madden review. He stated his opinion, you banned him for it, and he just moved on.
LordKat protective of his fans? He said that anyone who likes spoonys videos doesn't deserve to watch anything of his, while banning anyone for disagreeing with him in the live chat. He also wanted Spoony to kill himself with his brothers gun (Who has been upset over having to kill a criminal in self defense) and in that Madden review he said that John Funk should die for liking it. Sorry, but LordKats kind of a dick

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Khazoth said:
Azure-Supernova said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Fusioncode9 said:
He did? Link?
Right around here...kinda sad really.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah so... looked at Lupa's latest vid to look at the comments, saw one that really caught my imagination:

Anarchitech: Does anyone know Spoony's mental condition? Seeing him leave brought me to the bleak realization that tgwtg is a work team, not a group of friends as I disillusioned myself to believe. And after I invested all that time watch the TLC playthrough just to find out you and Phelous ( my favorite!) aren't even a real couple, but a pairing by Channel Awesome to increase views. You can read Channel Awesome's internal memo on wikileaks.
Can one of us thats really good at playing internet Batman try to dig up this internal memo? (and the plot THICKENS!)

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
erttheking said:
Right around here...kinda sad really.
[ youtube=Ti1vJCjiJEc ]
I saw that one. I thought it should have been called Breaking down. I do not mean it as a joke, but as a description of his mental state.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
And That said:
Wow, I'm also rather surprised to see just how much people are upset over the all TGWTG thing.

Do any of you really believe that everyone working there is a tightly knitted community of friends ?

They're producers of content working for a company that manages content. They "produce" "videos", as in: "edit together streams of content" . Do you really think all of them act that way all the time?

This reminds me of the whole debacle with Lindsay Ellis and her move the A Word.

"Ubbbuh WHA? The Nostalgia Chick had an abortion? But she's so funny and innocent!"

Yea real people are like that.

Honestly, I've pretty much made up my mind with spoony after the X-com betrayal thing. That was just the most ridiculously stupid thing you can do as a "journalist".
Actually as niave as I realize this is, yeah I did believe that... okay maybe not best friends but that they were a group of people all at least on good terms with each other. I mean the entire anniversary special thing is kinda played on that idea. Instead it's more backstabbing, infighting, and politics then the cast of Saturday Night Live.

Also yeah I had a similar reaction when I heard about Chick having an abortion. It wasn't like negative, just like "whoa shit just got real for a moment."

You send an amateur comedian to cover a video game convention... Who expects him to act like Anderson Cooper?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Okay... gonna share this because it DID make me chuckle. Spoiler tag cause it is kinda meanspirited.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Falcon123 said:
I think you'd find his twitter interesting then. The line between Noah and Spoony has been blurred to a rather scary extent. Honestly, I can't much tell the difference anymore myself; I'm only hoping he figures it out BEFORE something happens
I was subbed to his twitter for a long time. I was not subbed to any of the other Channel Awesome members, so I did not have any of that context thing to aid me in understanding what the fuck is going on.

Either way, the more Noah becomes Spoony, the less I like him. When he's not talking down to his audience, I like the videos. When he is not raging at easy targets, I like the videos. When he's having fun with his reviews, they are great.

Until he stops taking his personal issues out on his audience, I will not watch his videos.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Austichar said:
Okay, so I've been reading this thread for a while and I've been keeping my mouth shut since I didn't really want to get involved but with people talking about the Holly aspect and whatnot, I feel I should probably offer my story and two-cents involving that woman and to possibly help peoples' opinions on what may have gone down. This is a bit personal, and involved me and my "ex", so it may be long, so I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom for conveniences sake.

But basically I have no doubt in my mind that Holly was a big factor in what happened. Especially with her siding with Lupa and Scarlet. Holly is a MAJOR drama queen and will pretty much side with the girls in many issues. Especially when a guy is involved on the other side. I was an admin on Blistered Thumbs through Angry Joe and was set to start doing a machinima series for them, but I took a hiatus to focus on college and get my editing skillz better. http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2010/12/thtbs-fable-3-dlc-disgraceful/ (Proof for peoplez)

At the same time I got extremely close to a girl (We'll call her Carie) who started doing vids and was trying to get on the site as well. Blah blah stuff went on and eventually we met at MAGfest '12. Well somehow we started hanging with Holly and a few other people. Well Holly started a joke about Welshy and his gf and they kept overdoing it by making a fake twitter and posting insults about Welshy's gf on it. Well on the 3rd night of magfest there was a party in Carie's room and I got pretty damn drunk. I'm not of the legal drinking age and security was coming up for noise complaints, so I had to go back to my room across the street and Holly was gonna help me to it. Well as we were walking away from the party security came to the door and Holly told me to go to my room as she ran back to Carie's room. So I was left to go to my room by myself. (don't even know how I got to it lol)

Well at the room I called a "friend" who was close friends with Welshy and accidentally told the joke to her. Well she told Welshy a few days later and he got pissed at Holly. Holly lied and said "Oh i didnt do anything, other people made the joke and I wasn't even laughing. I wanted them to stop, but didnt want to start an argument". Bullshit. He told her that I was the one and leaked it and she got PISSED. Really pissed.

Around the same time some things happened between Carie and I that soured our relationship, but we were going to work through it. Well Holly starting making up bullshit and telling Carie about it. Like saying I crawled into her bed and did stuff to her (I passed out drunk while everyone was in the room and woke up with all my clothes and shoes on so nothing happened), claiming that I was gay, calling me a stalker ( I had only sent Carie two messages, one asking to talk things out and the other about Skyrim), and a bunch of other bullshit that terrified poor Carie to the point where she hid in her room with a shotgun for a day. Around the same time I started receiving death threats in email and shit from a bunch of made up email addresses. No idea who sent them.

In the end Carie ended up blocking me everywhere, I got banned from TGWTG and everyone there except Angry Joe probably thinks I'm some psychopath stalker now, got sent into a huge depression and ended up failing college as a result.

But so yeah, that's my experience with Holly. Fuck Holly she's a drama queen ***** who'll manipulate people to get what she wants. I wouldn't be surprised if she made things worse under the surface. Granted Spoony definitely did fuck things up worse by flipping out at everyone, but I have a feeling Holly definitely had something more to do with it.

TL;DR Holly's a *****, wrecked my life. She'll lie and manipulate people to get her way. wouldn't be surprised if she made this worse in order to help her girlfriends.
Dude... That true?
That's not even a *****, that's psycho!