The Suicide Squad (James Gunn) Trailer

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No no, the scene where the militant bad guys set fire to the President's bird collection...just to prove they're evil.
Oh right...that scene. I don't know how I forgot about that. My reaction was, "yeah whatever, you're evil".

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Oh right...that scene. I don't know how I forgot about that. My reaction was, "yeah whatever, you're evil".
That was exactly my thought. Like those Loony Tunes episodes where the bad guy blows up Bug's home, or Marx Bro movies where the bad guy hits Harpo, or more modern, killing John Wick's dog. Its just to get the audience to be like "Yeah whatever, you're evil" so that anything is a just comeuppance.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
In four to five years later, the movie will have bigger appreciation and be vindicated by history from the casual movie going audience. It's already happened with s lot of the DCEU movies. That is the first Suicide Squad movie too.
Sorry, but in what universe is Suicide Squad vindicated? I mean, I'm more sympathetic towards it than most, but look at any DCEU ranking, and it always ends up near the bottom. And as for the quality of the film itself...

I may not be that harsh, but it's a deeply flawed film.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
First movie was mediocre, Birds of Prey sucks and not that it means much but this one was better than both combined. At least it felt sufficiently like somebody's vision moreso than a studio's.

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Hawki, Check the YouTube comments from any clips from the movie. You'll find defenders of the whole thing, defend only certain segments, or claim it got too much hate and say the film is average overall. Not to mention the teenagers who love this movie are getting older now, and they're on the defense force. I already gave my rankings on the film, and consider it a C. Nothing more, nothing less

• Critical Dissonance: Par for the course with the DC films at this point, though it is a lot weaker this time around. Critics hated the movie and by opening it had a 26% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes. Fans, however, were more mixed, with a 61% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score and a pretty good B+ Cinemascorenote a research firm that surveys film audiences to rate their viewing experiences among the general movie-going public, rating particularly well amongst teenage viewers.
  • Critic-Proof: Despite the critical bashing it received, the film smashed records for an August opening and was able to keep its number 1 spot at the box-office for three weeks in a row. It wrapped up its run around $750 million. For comparison, direct competitors X-Men: Apocalypse and Doctor Strange (all three films from separate studios released within a few months of each other) got significantly stronger reviews (52 and 72 on Metacritic, to Suicide Squad's 40) and similar production budgets, yet only grossed $544 million and $677 million respectively. Suicide Squad also had higher home video sales than either, by more than 2-1 in the case of Doctor Strange and 3-1 for Apocalypse. This is all without having been released in the huge, superhero loving Chinese market as well.
Bonus trivia: there are lot of fans of the DCEU and Deadpool fans that want crossover with the two properties. I can't blame them. I know in my home state, there are many a people that SS/Deadpool crossover. Really noticeable back in 2016.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sorry, but in what universe is Suicide Squad vindicated? I mean, I'm more sympathetic towards it than most, but look at any DCEU ranking, and it always ends up near the bottom. And as for the quality of the film itself...

I may not be that harsh, but it's a deeply flawed film.
One more thing....

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
One more thing....

That reminds me, I went see the original in theaters with my Dad. He's a massive comic nerd. Like my parents house has like 6 or 7 book cases that just nothing but graphic novels and collections. We went in with low expectations, just hoping it'll be entertaining. I think around the time they're just kinda beating up nameless monsters, but none of it looks cool because they don't showcase any of their abilities, its just generic punching and shooting, I looked at my dad and said "hey man, you just wanna leave?" "Please." So we just left and found something else to do.

I have never been so bored in a theater before or since and I'm one of those obnoxious indie film people that can handle a good slow burn movie. ROTS was at least entertaining flashing images on screen.

I went back and struggled through Suicide Squad after the directors cut came out on streaming, hoping it would fix at least some of the problems, but fuck I can't picture ever being more bored in my life. I can't even remember the last act. Actually, I cant remember what their mission was. I feel like it wasnt originally the witch lady, but idk. I've seen a lot of so-so, to bad Marvel and DC movies, but Suicide Squad was an editing nightmare. Scenes would often cut for no reason. Music would start and stop at random, but not flow with the action, just...start..and cut off, often not even a fade out. The editing gave me a massive headache. I won't disagree that in theory there were good ideas in the film, but not even enough to justify defending it. You can't defend a film on the merits of things it implied or kind of showed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That reminds me, I went see the original in theaters with my Dad. He's a massive comic nerd. Like my parents house has like 6 or 7 book cases that just nothing but graphic novels and collections. We went in with low expectations, just hoping it'll be entertaining. I think around the time they're just kinda beating up nameless monsters, but none of it looks cool because they don't showcase any of their abilities, its just generic punching and shooting, I looked at my dad and said "hey man, you just wanna leave?" "Please." So we just left and found something else to do.

I have never been so bored in a theater before or since and I'm one of those obnoxious indie film people that can handle a good slow burn movie. ROTS was at least entertaining flashing images on screen.

I went back and struggled through Suicide Squad after the directors cut came out on streaming, hoping it would fix at least some of the problems, but fuck I can't picture ever being more bored in my life. I can't even remember the last act. Actually, I cant remember what their mission was. I feel like it wasnt originally the witch lady, but idk. I've seen a lot of so-so, to bad Marvel and DC movies, but Suicide Squad was an editing nightmare. Scenes would often cut for no reason. Music would start and stop at random, but not flow with the action, just...start..and cut off, often not even a fade out. The editing gave me a massive headache. I won't disagree that in theory there were good ideas in the film, but not even enough to justify defending it. You can't defend a film on the merits of things it implied or kind of showed.
Understandable. Like I said before, I get the detractors points, but I didn't feel it was that bad, just average. I know I was never bored, even after seeing the movie in theaters. SS2 is basically the first movie, but way better executed. SS1 is a C rank, while SS2 is an S rank.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So how's the movie now that the dust has settled?
Well its budget was some $185 million, and it's box office was $155 million. Which to my mind is a shame, that's way too much money for them to earn for this hot garbage.
If you thought the first one was an incoherent mess of plot points and character development coming and going, all combined with sloppy editing, the second one is even worse with even more egregious editing mistakes and character traits just disappearing.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well its budget was some $185 million, and it's box office was $155 million. Which to my mind is a shame, that's way too much money for them to earn for this hot garbage.
If you thought the first one was an incoherent mess of plot points and character development coming and going, all combined with sloppy editing, the second one is even worse with even more egregious editing mistakes and character traits just disappearing.
And compared to the other DCEU movies?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You clearly didn't have enough popcorn to fill the void of your time wasted. I personally enjoyed the film, not because it was "good," but because it was so dumb and self-aware. Makes me think I might actually enjoy the Fast and Furious movies if I can put my brain down, eat some junk food and see just how a ridiculous millions of dollars were spent to create a hot mess.

I know this might sound counter-intuitive to my sentiments about people liking bad movies, but there's a difference between a "bad" movie and a movie that's "not good, but effort was put in." I wish I could articulate that difference. Maybe the difference between taking joy in failure versus taking joy at failed attempts at greatness? Like, I don't think at any point THE Suicide Squad thought it was to be taken seriously, so they just... went with it and had fun. Versus a movie like, I dunno, Spider-Man 3 where they were clearly trying to capitalize on the success of the first two films, and accidentally shit the bed.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And compared to the other DCEU movies?
Worse than the average, but I've made it clear I think the DCEU movies are just all sorta low quality to begin with. I thought about half of Wonder Woman was good, I actually liked BvS, the Man of Steel movie was okay, but I haven't seen it in awhile, and I like scenes from Justice League.
The rest, Shazam, Aquaman, Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad 1 & 2, Wonder Woman 2 and half of the first one, I just don't think are good. Just from a production stand point the scripts don't make sense, scenes just sorta happen, plot points come and go seemingly at random, the editing it sloppy and jointed. They remind me a lot of the Watchmen movie, that I thought was really lazy and boring. Just a by the numbers movie with no actual vision or goal, just "This is the scene where people are sad, play Sound of Silence".

I absolutely agree you can find joy in a bad movie. I love me some MST3K and I love roasting movies. And yeah, from the sounds of it people had fun on set and the movie and cast don't take it too seriously. That's fine to a degree. What I don't like is when that lack of seriousness simply become disinterest in the movie or just laziness. Like the Polka Dot man swells up twice a day with polka dots and has to throw them up...and then they just sorta dropped that. He simply doesn't do it in the second half of the movie, which takes place the next day.
Or the scene towards the end when its raining and they're having a big fight and then the rain just stops. Like one frame its raining, the next its just over and everyone is dry. Clearly two separate takes of the scene, one where they filmed in rain, and another dry, and they just cut them together without caring about weather continuity.
Or when Waller tells BloodSport he was right, the one guy is betraying them. And they never explain how he knew, why Waller would trust him, and why she purposefully sent an entire team to their deaths, including Flag and Harley, all as a distraction because someone they recruited for the mission betrayed them and changed the mission.

To me that's a little worse than simply not taking things too seriously. To me that's just straight up laziness, and disrespect to the audience that all we want to see is Margot Robbie's Harley do something wacky, and some blood and tits. Who is going to notice things like dialogue and character traits and continuity when there are flashing lights on the screen?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Worse than the average, but I've made it clear I think the DCEU movies are just all sorta low quality to begin with. I thought about half of Wonder Woman was good, I actually liked BvS, the Man of Steel movie was okay, but I haven't seen it in awhile, and I like scenes from Justice League.
The rest, Shazam, Aquaman, Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad 1 & 2, Wonder Woman 2 and half of the first one, I just don't think are good. Just from a production stand point the scripts don't make sense, scenes just sorta happen, plot points come and go seemingly at random, the editing it sloppy and jointed. They remind me a lot of the Watchmen movie, that I thought was really lazy and boring. Just a by the numbers movie with no actual vision or goal, just "This is the scene where people are sad, play Sound of Silence".

I absolutely agree you can find joy in a bad movie. I love me some MST3K and I love roasting movies. And yeah, from the sounds of it people had fun on set and the movie and cast don't take it too seriously. That's fine to a degree. What I don't like is when that lack of seriousness simply become disinterest in the movie or just laziness. Like the Polka Dot man swells up twice a day with polka dots and has to throw them up...and then they just sorta dropped that. He simply doesn't do it in the second half of the movie, which takes place the next day.
Or the scene towards the end when its raining and they're having a big fight and then the rain just stops. Like one frame its raining, the next its just over and everyone is dry. Clearly two separate takes of the scene, one where they filmed in rain, and another dry, and they just cut them together without caring about weather continuity.
Or when Waller tells BloodSport he was right, the one guy is betraying them. And they never explain how he knew, why Waller would trust him, and why she purposefully sent an entire team to their deaths, including Flag and Harley, all as a distraction because someone they recruited for the mission betrayed them and changed the mission.

To me that's a little worse than simply not taking things too seriously. To me that's just straight up laziness, and disrespect to the audience that all we want to see is Margot Robbie's Harley do something wacky, and some blood and tits. Who is going to notice things like dialogue and character traits and continuity when there are flashing lights on the screen?
Totally agree. Difference being, I had no substantive expectations going in. I literally only watched it because my gf dressed up as Harley Quinn a couple years ago for Halloween, and now has a preference for the character, and she wanted to watch it. I expected the film to be bad, and certainly wasn't about to "fine-tooth comb" it in such as way as you've apparently done, and as such was able to enjoy it as a "fun" film versus "a film with blatant flaws." Not disagreeing with your assessment at all, but you have a lot more fun with...