The Suicide Squad (James Gunn) Trailer

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Cecil has even better morals and standards compared all of the Wallers. Even he would call the DCAU Waller an imbecile.
To be fair, we're just waiting on him to do something as stupid as Waller's shenanigans. I haven't read the comics, so maybe he makes it through the series intact.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To be fair, we're just waiting on him to do something as stupid as Waller's shenanigans. I haven't read the comics, so maybe he makes it through the series intact.
I've never read the Invincible comics either, but Cecile looks and acts like he keeps his head on his shoulders and not some inflated ego like Waller. Cecile has actually empathy for the people around him, despite the semi-jerk ass facade. Almost all of the versions of Waller have none of this, or grow old to regret for being such an asshole. Cecile has humanity, Waller does not. He still sees those with or without powers as people. She only sees others as rats or dirty pawns.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've never read the Invincible comics either, but Cecile looks and acts like he keeps his head on his shoulders and not some inflated ego like Waller. Cecile has actually empathy for the people around him, despite semi-jerk ass facade. Almost all of the versions of Waller have none of this, or grow old to regret for being such an asshole. Cecile has humanity, Waller does not. He still sees those with or without powers as people. She only sees others as rats or dirty pawns.
Fair enough. I'm not a fan DCAU Waller for the most part. When I think of Waller, I always think of her during the Beyond era, when she's just an old lady who's realized the folly of her ways.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I always think of her during the Beyond era, when she's just an old lady who's realized the folly of her ways.
That version of Waller exists in the DCAU as well. Though most people hate that episode, because of an unnecessary retcon to Terry in Batman Beyond, makes Waller even more unlikable (stay out of peoples lives you biatch!), and ends up being a glorified Clone saga. It's also sends a bad message that you can only be Batman if it's in your blood. Fuck Bruce Timm and the writers on that one!

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
At it's worst, it's a 7/10. And that is if I did not like it. Don't bother holding your breath expecting the DCEU to die this quickly. SS2 performed excellently on both sides of the spectrum. Not to mention The Peacemaker spin-off is actually happening. We still got Shazam 2 and Aqua Man 2 on the horizon at some point. So expect the DCEU to stick around, for a long time.
I mean the movie is worse than the first one, and that's at least a 4/10 for just slopping film making. At least from what I remember, the first one bothered to keep the rain on.
And I wouldn't hold my breath on the DCEU. Shazam 2 is in production hell, Flash isn't canon anymore, they have a completely different Batman going now, Superman is gone, Cyborg is gone, Wonder Woman is in a weird limbo because her second movie was awful, Aquaman 2 just this week is having production problems because they're worried Amber Heard is damaged goods, and the Peacemaker spinoff is an HBO max TV show, which is were franchises go to die. Also ironic that HBO and DC thought the great spinoff character from their weird barely held together with sloppy editing movie was the John Cena wears tight underwear joke character, who has a pretty definitive end in the movie and his origin story was literally joked about in the movie as not being unique and special. Personally I would have gone with the Ratchatcher because she had well, a character. But I guess John Cena was in really really good shape and they just figured they could do something on a budget.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
In what way? Although it feels like every DCEU movie these days is no longer "canon", especially Wonder Woman 1984.
Well the Flash has Affleck's Batman in it, and he's no longer considered the Batman of the DCEU, and his movies are no longer considered canon. That's why they had to redo the origins and characters of the Suicide Squad with this movie, because they need us to forget Batman.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean the movie is worse than the first one, and that's at least a 4/10 for just slopping film making.
I disagree with you there big time, but whatever.

Superman is gone, Cyborg is gone, Wonder Woman is in a weird limbo because her second movie was awful, Aquaman 2 just this week is having production problems because they're worried Amber Heard is damaged goods, and the Peacemaker spinoff is an HBO max TV show, which is were franchises go to die.
We'll see....

Like said before, if it dies, it dies. If it does not, oh well, expect more.

Personally I would have gone with the Ratchatcher because she had well, a character.
Agreed, though I 'd say all of the cast have character. Just done either better or more subtley. Harley still has her character development from Birds of Prey (Red flag boyfriend; refuses to fall in that same trap again), Rick Flagg being kinder to the squad, and more rebellious of Waller (Dude got killed by Peacmaker for doing the right thing. Sucked to see him go), Peacemaker obviously hated killing Flagg, but still went with it, King Shark got friends and family now, Polka Dot finally became the hero he wanted at the cost of his own life, and Bloodsport found his redemption, approval, love, and respect from his daughter. The way everyone rebelled against Waller is one of the best moments in comic book move history. Even Waller's personal team gets on in the act and knock her evil ass out cold! It's all there, but your view clouded by eyes of hate and too much cynicism to care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well the Flash has Affleck's Batman in it, and he's no longer considered the Batman of the DCEU, and his movies are no longer considered canon. That's why they had to redo the origins and characters of the Suicide Squad with this movie, because they need us to forget Batman.
I don't think Pattinson's Batman is part of the DCEU, in the same way that Joker isn't part of the DCEU either. And the Flash movie is going to be a Flashpoint adaptation supposedly, which would make it the most canon DCEU movie we've gotten in a while if it's going to reset the universe like everyone is saying/hoping.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It was fine.

My main gripe was with the pacing, and the editing. There were a lot of unnecessary scenes which could have been stripped out, and the pacing was overall pretty slow.

I still preferred the Birds of Prey movie, but this is still leagues above the rest of the DCEU.

I liked the gore, a lot of the new characters were fun (I really liked Bloodsport), and many of the returning characters either continued to absolutely kill their roles (Harley Quinn), or got a well-deserved refresh (Rick Flag).

That said, im just at the point where I wish that DC would just admit defeat, and reboot the franchise. There are so many ifs and buts about the established canon, and questions as to who is who anymore, that I really do hope that the slate is just wiped clean, in the near future.

Hopefully the upcoming Flash film is the start of that - but jeez, I hate Ezra Miller's Flash, and the idea of sitting through multiple hours of that version of the character, just makes my brain hurt.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Agreed, though I 'd say all of the cast had character. Just done either better or more subtley. Harley still has her character development from Birds of Prey (Red flag boyfriend; refuses to fall in that same trap again), Rick Flagg being kinder to the squad, and more rebellious of Waller (Dude got killed by Peacmaker for doing the right thing. Sucked to see him go), Peacemaker obviously hated killing Flagg, but still went with it, King Shark got friends and family now, Polka Dot finally became the hero he wanted at the cost of his own life, and Bloodsport found his redemption and approval, love, and respect from his daughter. The way they everyone rebelled against Waller is one of the best moments in comic book move history. Even Waller's personal team gets on in the act and knock her evil ass out cold! It's all there, but your view clouded by eyes of hate and too much cynicism to care.
See I disagree entirely.
Peacemaker's story was that he was a joke and just like Bloodsport, but in an even dumber outfit.
Bloodsport's story was that Will Smith wouldn't come back as Deadshot, so they just did his character again, complete with daughter issues. And he still shot and almost killed Superman, not sure how going rogue on a blackops missions after killing hundreds of people makes up for that in his daughter's eyes.
Polka Dot man's sad arch of always trying to kill his mother and get over his trauma just sorta ended without a resolution. They forgot to show him seeing people for who they are, not just his mother.
Flagg's character as the grim no-nonsense, follows orders to the T leader is just a totally different guy who now has a conscious and morals and says no to missions. Oh and doesn't have a Samurai ghost bodyguard anymore, 'cause. Oh and was he the one who was alive in the post credit, or was that Peacemaker? It was over so quick I truly legitimately couldn't tell who it was.
Harley's character is pretty much the same. Except she seems to have lost her sidekick/daughter and completely forgotten about her. And her thing about never being under anyone's thumb and turning over a new leaf and not wanting to be a criminal again kinda all got undone with a single line that she has road rage. LULZ. And road rage so bad she apparently was sentenced to a supermax with multiple decades of a sentence.
King Shark was just the Hulk, down to Idris Elba telling him "Hulk Smash".

Maybe I am just not a DC fan, that can be why I find so many errors. But its equally likely you are a DC fan, and don't want to see them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But its equally likely you are a DC fan, and don't want to see them.
That is where you wrong. I am fan of DC, Marvel, and comic book movies in general. Just because I like something does not mean I never see the flaws. The MCU has plenty of flaws I called out on, regardless if I liked them or not. Your problem and many others on the Internet that like to jump on the hate train and go too far in criticizing and inflating flaws, while happening to ignore the MCUs. That statement more so applies to them, than you as I've seen your posts enough to know you're not a hardcore MCU fan either. So you can provide me the curtsy and do the same.

No movie is perfect, but I am not gonna spend my life ragging on movies that are trying their best. Whether they succeed or not. I don't like most of the MCU Phase 2 films, could not care for the Ant Man movies, and I find Batman V. Superman & SS (2016) average. I hate the Whedon cut of Justice League, and have no interests in the Snyder Cut. I'm giving you this as a reminder, because I've mentioned it several times before. Now you have no excuse for making that same claim next time.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
No movie is perfect, but I am not gonna spend my life ragging on movies that are trying their best. Whether they succeed or not. I don't like most of the MCU Phase 2 films, could not care for the Ant Man movies, and I find Batman V. Superman & SS (2016) average. I hate the Whedon cut of Justice League, and have no interests in the Snyder Cut. I'm giving you this as a reminder, because I've mentioned it several times before. Now you have no excuse for making that same claim next time.
See I don't hate the DCEU, I want it to be a huge success. I want to see movies that try. And so far, almost none of the DCEU movies have tried. They want the success of Marvel without any of the discipline to get there. No one is in charge of continuity, or keeping the canon straight, or even keeping the story straight in individual movies.
When Suicide Squad says this is Polkadot man, he's infected in an extra dimensional virus that causes his face to swell up with glowing radioactive sores, and he needs to purge his body of them twice a day or he dies, I'm not some ill tempered jerk for noticing they simply dropped that aspect of his character entirely. One second he's swelling up and Ratcatcher even says its happening again, he explains that he sees everyone as his mom, and then the next cut he face is normal, the polkadots are gone and its never mentioned again. I wasn't sitting in the theater thinking "Man I must spend my life ragging at movies for even noticing that."
Or in the big climatic scene in the end when its pouring rain, and then one shot its a sunny day, the rain is over, and its never shown again. Just the weather got cut. Noticing that doesn't mean I hate the DCEU, it means the movie isn't trying.
In the first movie Rick Flagg has a life-sworn Samurai bodyguard with a magical possessed sword, Katana. She follows him everywhere and is sworn to protect him. Not even mentioned in this one. Just a major aspect of Flagg's character, missing.
When Waller tells Bloodsport he was right, Blackguard is betraying them, way to see that coming and...and its never shown. That scene got cut. And I'm not the Grinch for noticing that.
Its a sloppy movie, pure and simple, and its not some moral failing on my part for noticing. Im not looking for a perfect movie, like you said they don't exist. But other movies have managed to keep their story and characters straight for longer than a few scenes, why can't Suicide Squad? What's unique about this series of movies that the concept of a consistent plot is just not something they worry about?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And so far, almost none of the DCEU movies have tried
In your opinion and absurdly high standards. I get wanting what best for DC characters, but sometimes you got roll back and calm down. Be realistic. WB/DC salvaged what they could, and turned it around for the better. In such a quick fashion too; not bad and impressive. I'm grateful for what we got despite a few falters. I got high standards too, but not that high to get upset and nitpick at every single moment. You get dumb shit like Cinema Sins, RLM, and Honest Trailers when they really have their heads stuck in their ass.

They want the success of Marvel without any of the discipline to get there.
That part true, but at least they course corrected.

Its a sloppy movie, pure and simple, and its not some moral failing on my part for noticing.
In your opinion. I don't find it sloppy. Hence why I also said that statement applied more to the hardcore haters of DCEU than you. You've criticized plenty on the MCU side, so you have huge mile over the MCU fan-boy & girls/DCEU haters.

In the first movie Rick Flagg has a life-sworn Samurai bodyguard with a magical possessed sword, Katana. She follows him everywhere and is sworn to protect him. Not even mentioned in this one. Just a major aspect of Flagg's character, missing.
I can see where you're coming from, but they dropped her because she does have much interaction, that was unfortunately cut out of the original print. She has little other to do than having another token good person on the team. Sad, because I like the idea of character and her design. I always saw her absence as my work here is done, moving towards something else. While I do miss Katana, I am not going to knock it against SS2.

I'll end here as this back and forth is just going to keep playing out to boredom otherwise.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I hadn't realized this, but Joel Kinnaman, who plays Rick Flagg gave an interview where he said absolutely yes, this is a completely different Flagg, the first movie is not canon, these are all brand new versions of these characters, and that even though he hasn't been asked to come back and reprise his role, he's open to the idea and wouldn't say no. So in his interpretation of DCEU production, they would absolutely bring a dead character back if it fits the plot, which in my mind says how committed DC is to a cinematic universe, ie not. Because character deaths aren't really considered when planning stories.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hadn't realized this, but Joel Kinnaman, who plays Rick Flagg gave an interview where he said absolutely yes, this is a completely different Flagg, the first movie is not canon, these are all brand new versions of these characters, and that even though he hasn't been asked to come back and reprise his role, he's open to the idea and wouldn't say no. So in his interpretation of DCEU production, they would absolutely bring a dead character back if it fits the plot, which in my mind says how committed DC is to a cinematic universe, ie not. Because character deaths aren't really considered when planning stories.
Interesting, but I would be weary of Word of St. Paul. Unless he got direct word from the top or Gunn himself, I doubt it. I know the sequel is a soft reboot, but there's enough reference and minor call backs to the first and Birds of Prey where I consider it a sequel. Thanks for the info though.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I did not expect that. Oh well, I still think it's a good movie.
From my experience its not overly surprising. I saw the 7pm Saturday night opening weekend at the Galaxy Megascreen here in St Louis, largest screen in the city, seating capacity of 1,000. Its fucking gigantic, like part of a sports stadium just set up for a movie.
Including the 3 of us that went, there were 9 people in the entire auditorium. And 2 of them left right around the time the bad guys burned all the birds for no reason.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And 2 of them left right around the time the bad guys burned all the birds for no reason.
The guy with a bouncy ball. He only killed one bird.

In four to five years later, the movie will have bigger appreciation and be vindicated by history from the casual movie going audience. It's already happened with a lot of the DCEU movies. That is the first Suicide Squad movie too.

Last edited: