The Suicide Squad (James Gunn) Trailer

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would say even the bad MCU movies like Iron Man 3, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are by far better than even the best of the DCEU movies, including and limited to the first half of Wonder Woman, and that scene from BvS where Batman saves Martha.
I would not go that far. Iron Man 3 is a B- (IM2 sucks hard and I hate it more each year), Dr. Strange is regular good, and CM is just plain mediocre and too much nostalgia baiting.

I'd still watch most of the DCEU over these films and nearly all of phase 2 MCU.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I would not go that far. Iron Man 3 is a B- (IM2 sucks hard and I hate it more each year), Dr. Strange is regular good, and CM is just plain mediocre and too much nostalgia baiting.

I'd still watch most of the DCEU over these films and nearly all of phase 2 MCU.
Age of Ultron has alienated me from the MCU entirely.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
That's funny, because AoU brought me back into the MCU because I thought Avengers 1 was a really weak story. Although I imagine both are hard to watch now, given what we know about Joss Whedon and his penchant for threatening actresses with career damage if they don't do his fetish scenes. Which is probably why every shot of Black Widow is either her tied up, an ass shot, down blouse, or with a male actor motorboating her.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not for me. I'll still watch their other stuff.

That's funny, because AoU brought me back into the MCU because I thought Avengers 1 was a really weak story. Although I imagine both are hard to watch now, given what we know about Joss Whedon and his penchant for threatening actresses with career damage if they don't do his fetish scenes. Which is probably why every shot of Black Widow is either her tied up, an ass shot, down blouse, or with a male actor motorboating her.
At least Avengers 1 I can still find some joy in watching. Age of Ultron is just utter boredom and hatred.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I always kind of find it weird that Joss Whedon somehow had more pull than Scarlett Johansson in Hollywood that he could pull this on her and not have it cause massive problems.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
I always kind of find it weird that Joss Whedon somehow had more pull than Scarlett Johansson in Hollywood that he could pull this on her and not have it cause massive problems.
And he was still doing this in Justice League which came out AFTER the "Me Too" movement came out if I remember right. I am surprised people still get away with this considering Weinstein was broght down and the guy might as well have been Zeus with how much he got away with this crap.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And he was still doing this in Justice League which came out AFTER the "Me Too" movement came out if I remember right. I am surprised people still get away with this considering Weinstein was broght down and the guy might as well have been Zeus with how much he got away with this crap.
Weinstein was much worse and absolutely everyone knew this.

Just quietly abuse one or two high profile actresses and you might be ok, don't openly try for dozens.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Watching it tonight, if the family allows it. If they don't, eh, I'll watch it by myself.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Okay, so it was good. Not quite the superhero blockbuster to save this horrible year, but good enough for a watch.

I had two main complaints. First, the pacing. I get that you need some slow bits before the frantic action moments, but they felt especially slow and didn't do much to develop the characters or the plot. A lot of it felt like Gunn just being quirky with music and gags that don't pay off. The movie is two hours, but it felt a lot longer than that. The second problem was the bodycount. We all expected a shit ton of people to die, and they do. Some even who I did not at all expect. But I thought the deaths could have been spread out more to be more meaningful. I was genuinely sad when some people died, but they just kept coming one after the other in short bursts so the impact was lessened.

What I did like: The cast was great. I think this is the first time I've seen John Cena act, and he managed to be comic relief that you could still take seriously when it mattered. Idris Elba is Idris fucking Elba, Joel Kinnaman looks like he's actually having fun, the lady who plays Ratcatcher was likeable, Stallone as King Shark always gave me a chuckle, etc, etc. It was a very funny movie, very James Gunn, which I'm sure will piss off those who preferred the more serious DCEU. The action and gore didn't really stand out, but was still serviceable and in my opinion way better than Black Widow.

TLDR; The movie was fun but didn't quite live up to the expectations I had. I think Gunn needed to reign in the quirkiness a bit for a tighter movie. Still worth a watch.

EDIT: Shit forgot to mention Starro. He (they?) is as big, silly, terrifying, and disgusting as we could have hoped. Although I think the way they beat him was a little cheap.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is the best fucking Suicide Squad movie ever fucking made! If SS (2016) is a C-Rank, and Birds of Prey is an A-Rank, then The SS (2021) is an S-Rank! What a way to go out on. Excellent job Gunn, Edris, Robbie, Cena, Stallone, and everyone else! I am not spoiling this. Go see this goddamn movie!

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
This is the best fucking Suicide Squad movie ever fucking made! If SS (2016) is a C Rank, and Birds of Prey is an A-Rank, then The SS (2021) is an S Rank! What a way to go out on. Excellent job Gunn, Edris, Robbie, Cena, Stallone, and everyone else! I am not spoiling this. Go see this goddamn movie!
Same, no wasted moments in this one on setup or story. It never really slows down for exposition. Each scene pays off as it's happening. It's the first comicbook movie in a while that I immediately rewatched because it's not only full of great vignettes, but the whole thing pays off gloriously even through the end credits.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is the best fucking Suicide Squad movie ever fucking made! If SS (2016) is a C-Rank, and Birds of Prey is an A-Rank, then The SS (2021) is an S-Rank! What a way to go out on. Excellent job Gunn, Edris, Robbie, Cena, Stallone, and everyone else! I am not spoiling this. Go see this goddamn movie!
Saw the movie today and holy shit it's great! It is easily the best DC movie ever made and I find it funny just how much better these comic book movies can be when they let themselves be R-rated and not take shit so fucking seriously. It's comic books you fuckers, have some goddamn fun with it.

I do have a couple of gripes though. James Gunn is basically just made a Guardians of the Galaxy movie with different characters. But the set up was the same for the most part even including the animal/creature member of the team who doesn't do or say much.

Additionally this movie also showcases how terrible DC characters are. Two members of the team had the exact same "power" and the other characters were basically bland or outright stupid power wise (fucking polka dots seriously?).

Still James kicked ass with what he had to work with and I found this to be one of the most enjoyable comic book movies in a long time and would easily sit in my top five comicbook films ever.

I hope they take this as a lesson, HAVE FUN WITH IT! If they can do that more of these movies could actually be worth a damn.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But the set up was the same for the most part even including the animal/creature member of the team who doesn't do or say much.
Rocket Racoon and Groot done a lot more with or without the comparison to King Shark. I knew Weasel was going to be a fake out and not with much presence. Most of the people on the squad are C or D list Batman/DC villains, so you knew most were going to die early on. Not to mention, SS2 is following a similar blue print to the first movie, just done better or more elaborated on. A shooting guy with daughter, sacrasitic asshole who is biggest jerk out of the group, a nice guy/redemption guy in the group, a nice gal, animal man who's strongest in their element of water, aaaannnndddd Harley!

outright stupid power wise (fucking polka dots seriously?).
Polka Dot is awesome! His original powers allowed to make/pull weapons with polka dots, but the burning dimensional dots work way much better. Gunn made polka dots awesome and deadly.

Still James kicked ass with what he had to work with and I found this to be one of the most enjoyable comic book movies in a long time and would easily sit in my top five comicbook films ever.
Same. This, Let There Be Carnage, and Shang-Chi are my most looked forward to movies of this year! Suicide Squad 2 I put high up there with Aqua Man, The Deadpool movies, etc.

I hope they take this as a lesson, HAVE FUN WITH IT! If they can do that more of these movies could actually be worth a damn.
DC more or less learned that lesson with Aqua Man. Sony is learning that lesson with the next Venom movie, and Disney already learned that lesson years ago.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I just got back from Suicide Squad. HOLY FUCK! Its worse than the last! I mean this was Harley Quinn's fucking dumb movie bad. The first movie was an incoherent mess of scenes just kinda hacked together, with no concept of flow, continuity, character growth/personalities and was very clearly a mess of a production. This one is all of that, PLUS a completely random entirely unrelated Harley movie stapled in, and with the collapse of the DCEU the continuity is beyond fucked. At one point they reference Superman and its like "Well which one? You clearly want us to forget the previous Suicide Squad, and that one was canon to the DCEU, so which Superman?"
The movie is tedious. Just actually annoying to watch. Every 7 minutes, because its been so hacked together, the scene transitions are the words "The Next Scene" popping up on screen, and then it cuts to the next scene, stone cold 100% not following the last scene. Just "Several hours later" and now the characters have a car, new clothes, personalities and motivations. Because whoever was in charge of story just quit when they saw Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was involved.
Like you know how Quinten Tarantino convinced a bunch of people he's a great movie maker despite not writing a flowing continuous story by just doing "2 Days Earlier" between every scene? Well that's this movie. The hook isn't a clever take on story telling, its just they haven't shown you the scenes yet.
To give a great example, the first 10 minutes are meaningless. Not only do they spend all this time building up the squad to kill them all off in what someone still thinks is a clever deconstruction of the Avengers, but Pete Davidson's character has somehow betrayed the squad and told the bad guys when and where they would land. Okay, sure, whatever. But THEN Viola Davis radios to the actual squad, the ones they should have spent the first 10 minutes introducing, to confirm to Idris Elba's character that yes, Davidson IS betraying them, he was right...and they never bring it up again. They never show how Idris figured it out, or why Viola Davis purposefully sent Flag and Harley in the sacrificial wave to die, only to then change the mission to rescue them. Like the fuck? She was okay with them dying, but hold on they're alive? Well fuck me, go rescue them!
Also at another scene the squad is getting drunk. They're drinking, laughing, drinking, dancing, drinking and then the scene ends and boom, stone cold sober everyone. Just done. The drinking scene is over, moving on.
Later on its raining. They have a big song and dance to show its raining and lighting and huge huge storm. Literally within the same scene its no longer raining. At one point John Cena's character is hacking people and its raining, jump cut and its done raining. Just off. They forgot to keep the weather in continuity.
And Harley's little side movie? Im convinced they filmed a short film called "Harley's Vacation" where she's wined and dined by some big dick handsome man, finds out he's a jerk, kills him, gets tortured and escapes, and the ending scene was supposed to be Flag trying to rescue her. Aha! A funny little ending! She was on a mission the entire time! Isn't she just so fucking quirky? But then some studio executives were like "So what happens next? Where's the rest of the movie?" and with no answer, they hired James Gunn thinking he still had some Guardians of the Galaxy magic on his lapel and told him to hack together a movie around the Harley mini story.
And this is the result. The Frankenstein monster of a movie with no continuity, scenes just sorta happen and then end, adding nothing to anyone's story, and then its over.
Also as a side note, Viola Davis's Amanda Waller is a joke in this one. She used to be so badass and cold she told Batman what to do. Now she's so fucking stupid and over-the-top angry she gets the human-weasel do agree to an aquatic drop, the weasel knowing he can't swim and he dies. LULZ! And then Idris Elbas's Will Smith had better things to do so lets get another black actor to play a super accurate ex-military mercenary with wrist mounted weapons, a distinct skull helmet, and daughter issues, gets deployed alongside the Rat Queen and LULZ he's afraid of rats! Boy fucking howdy Amanda Waller, you found out Bruce Wayne is Batman, but not that the wereweasel couldn't swim or that the man you trusted to tell you about a double-cross is deeply afraid of the single super power of a major member of his team, and at no point did anyone think to mention that Ratcatcher 2 was involved with...rats. This version of Amanda Waller couldn't even figure out what my shoe size was if I told her and had it tattooed on her hand. But I guess she had to be stupid for the obnoxiously happy ending to be a thing.
1/10, seriously its not funny anymore guys, just let the DCEU die. Turns out having someone keep track of character personalities and arcs and continuity between movies was the keep to a cinematic universe, not just making a bunch of movies with the same actors.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I just got back from Suicide Squad. HOLY FUCK! Its worse than the last! I mean this was Harley Quinn's fucking dumb movie bad. The first movie was an incoherent mess of scenes just kinda hacked together, with no concept of flow, continuity, character growth/personalities and was very clearly a mess of a production. This one is all of that, PLUS a completely random entirely unrelated Harley movie stapled in, and with the collapse of the DCEU the continuity is beyond fucked. At one point they reference Superman and its like "Well which one? You clearly want us to forget the previous Suicide Squad, and that one was canon to the DCEU, so which Superman?"
The movie is tedious. Just actually annoying to watch. Every 7 minutes, because its been so hacked together, the scene transitions are the words "The Next Scene" popping up on screen, and then it cuts to the next scene, stone cold 100% not following the last scene. Just "Several hours later" and now the characters have a car, new clothes, personalities and motivations. Because whoever was in charge of story just quit when they saw Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was involved.
Like you know how Quinten Tarantino convinced a bunch of people he's a great movie maker despite not writing a flowing continuous story by just doing "2 Days Earlier" between every scene? Well that's this movie. The hook isn't a clever take on story telling, its just they haven't shown you the scenes yet.
To give a great example, the first 10 minutes are meaningless. Not only do they spend all this time building up the squad to kill them all off in what someone still thinks is a clever deconstruction of the Avengers, but Pete Davidson's character has somehow betrayed the squad and told the bad guys when and where they would land. Okay, sure, whatever. But THEN Viola Davis radios to the actual squad, the ones they should have spent the first 10 minutes introducing, to confirm to Idris Elba's character that yes, Davidson IS betraying them, he was right...and they never bring it up again. They never show how Idris figured it out, or why Viola Davis purposefully sent Flag and Harley in the sacrificial wave to die, only to then change the mission to rescue them. Like the fuck? She was okay with them dying, but hold on they're alive? Well fuck me, go rescue them!
Also at another scene the squad is getting drunk. They're drinking, laughing, drinking, dancing, drinking and then the scene ends and boom, stone cold sober everyone. Just done. The drinking scene is over, moving on.
Later on its raining. They have a big song and dance to show its raining and lighting and huge huge storm. Literally within the same scene its no longer raining. At one point John Cena's character is hacking people and its raining, jump cut and its done raining. Just off. They forgot to keep the weather in continuity.
And Harley's little side movie? Im convinced they filmed a short film called "Harley's Vacation" where she's wined and dined by some big dick handsome man, finds out he's a jerk, kills him, gets tortured and escapes, and the ending scene was supposed to be Flag trying to rescue her. Aha! A funny little ending! She was on a mission the entire time! Isn't she just so fucking quirky? But then some studio executives were like "So what happens next? Where's the rest of the movie?" and with no answer, they hired James Gunn thinking he still had some Guardians of the Galaxy magic on his lapel and told him to hack together a movie around the Harley mini story.
And this is the result. The Frankenstein monster of a movie with no continuity, scenes just sorta happen and then end, adding nothing to anyone's story, and then its over.
Also as a side note, Viola Davis's Amanda Waller is a joke in this one. She used to be so badass and cold she told Batman what to do. Now she's so fucking stupid and over-the-top angry she gets the human-weasel do agree to an aquatic drop, the weasel knowing he can't swim and he dies. LULZ! And then Idris Elbas's Will Smith had better things to do so lets get another black actor to play a super accurate ex-military mercenary with wrist mounted weapons, a distinct skull helmet, and daughter issues, gets deployed alongside the Rat Queen and LULZ he's afraid of rats! Boy fucking howdy Amanda Waller, you found out Bruce Wayne is Batman, but not that the wereweasel couldn't swim or that the man you trusted to tell you about a double-cross is deeply afraid of the single super power of a major member of his team, and at no point did anyone think to mention that Ratcatcher 2 was involved with...rats. This version of Amanda Waller couldn't even figure out what my shoe size was if I told her and had it tattooed on her hand. But I guess she had to be stupid for the obnoxiously happy ending to be a thing.
1/10, seriously its not funny anymore guys, just let the DCEU die. Turns out having someone keep track of character personalities and arcs and continuity between movies was the keep to a cinematic universe, not just making a bunch of movies with the same actors.
Amanda Waller was a joke in the first movie. No version of 'The Wall' that I'm familiar with would go to Batman for help. Or come up with as stupid a plan as the first movie. Or this one, it seems.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Amanda Waller was a joke in the first movie. No version of 'The Wall' that I'm familiar with would go to Batman for help. Or come up with as stupid a plan as the first movie. Or this one, it seems.
The article the Escapist posted recently about Waller considers her incompetence a bonus, as some sort of criticism of her archetype. But honestly, I still wish we could get a more accurate depiction. I see the perspective of "Waller is glorifying fascism/imperialism/etc" the same way I see the "Batman should be using his wealth to help the community instead of beating up the poor" shtick: pointless rationalization/moralization of a fucking comic book. I'd say the closest we've gotten to the original DCAU Waller was Cecil in Invincible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Amanda Waller was a joke in the first movie. No version of 'The Wall' that I'm familiar with would go to Batman for help.
She did in the JL Animated Series when Lex Luthor betrayed her and CADMUS. With that said, I never liked the character as a whole, no matter the version. A glorified government stooge who claims to be all about the "greater good"/protecting The World America. Granted, I like her here more compared to the first SS. Viola Davis did an excellent job in both movies, but her character is much better written in the sequel by comparison.

At it's worst, it's a 7/10. And that is if I did not like it. Don't bother holding your breath expecting the DCEU to die this quickly. SS2 performed excellently on both sides of the spectrum. Not to mention The Peacemaker spin-off is actually happening. We still got Shazam 2 and Aqua Man 2 on the horizon at some point. So expect the DCEU to stick around, for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock