The ten commandments of gaming

TheDutchin

Jul 27, 2010
ManInRed said:
The ten commandments I would always try to follow when making a game:

1. Don't show it, let the player do it.

Sometimes more information can be received from a cut-scene, sometimes text is best, and other times carefully constructed atmosphere can give the most. Different narratives require different amounts of each, but you never want to make the player feel like they are just receiving information and not interacting with the game. This is certain to happen if you show a scene you could have had a player execute. I don't care if all the player could do in a scene is walk over and press a switch, if you don't give back control to the player to do that, they'll be pulled out of the experience. In film there's a rule: "Don't tell, show." This can be view as an extension of that rule for games. You don't want an audience watching a film to wish they could see the event the hero described, and you don't want a player to wish they could do what they see the hero doing on screen.

2. Meaningful actions should have immediate noticeable consequences.

Basic rule to conditioning teaching: the reinforcement has a greater effect the closer it is performed to the behavior it would like to change. A player needs to see or hear right away that what they have done is good or bad, and then later get more detail information telling them how good or bad it is. It's just as important not to send false signals with behavior you don't care about modifying in the player. Games are great teachers when they do this right.

3. Never repeat the same event thrice.

The first time it is brand new. The second time it proves how far along the player has come. After that, it becomes redundant. Some redundancy is unavoidable. An event is a culmination of actions and objectives, and while the actions or objectives may appear again, the event should never repeat. Tetris is the same actions and the same 7 pieces, but the event of placing each block is always changing based on the position of other blocks. Having to perform the same fetch quest multiple times is repeating the event. Three is the limit. You can still have a boss rush at the end of the game, but not two times in a row. Anymore times and the events will begin to feel like filler.

4. Obstacles should be encounter before acquiring the tool to overcome them.

When getting a new tool or key, a player should never think: "What the hell am I going to use this for?" They should be thinking: "Ah ha! With this I can get past the so and so." Knowing what the obstacle is first, allows players to have these little Eureka moments. Also, any reoccurrence of the obstacle seen after gaining the tool will feel linear compared to going back to previously explore areas and opening up the world in a different direction. There's a reason Link doesn't get a tool in a dungeon until he's nearing competition of a dungeon.

5. Give multiple tasks at a time a player can work towards accomplishing.

All games are linear, players only walks the path they are walking, as they do in life. Freedom is not being able to do anything you want, freedom is choice. Players must believe they have a choice to do one thing or another, even if they are merely choosing the order they do things in. It makes the player feel free, it gives them options to avoid feeling stuck on one particular problem, and it can make the game more complex.

6. Game mechanics should reinforce who the characters are.

The things a character can do and the things a player can do as that character, should be the same. Similarly, how a character compares with other characters in certain regards should match who that character is in the narrative being told.

7. Judge a player on what they do, not on what they choose to be.

The biggest issue with moral choice systems is players know when they are choosing to be good or evil. In real life, no man does evil. We do what we feel is best at the moment, and some people may judge us are heroes for our actions while others judge us as villains. A player should never be aware when they are being judged or who is judging them. Giving players option boxes of what to say are too obvious. By basing judgment on a player's actions, you also strength the argument a third party has against them. A player can deny having evil intentions, but cannot deny deeds they perform or didn't perform. Be honest, at this very moment in real life there are thousands of good deeds you failed to do, based on the right point of view. I mean, what have you've done for me lately? And did any of you even think about Zoidberg?

8. Layout future goals and how the current actions lead to achieving it.

The objective of playing games is to determine what it is you're supposed to do. This is unique among any other story structure; someone reading a book usually knows how to continue the story when they reach the end of a page. But all good narratives have a clearly define purpose the audience can follow along. The purpose of the plot may not remain the same, but it's there to define a goal for the protagonist and explain why they are going through the events they are going through. Not all games have narratives, but they all have an ultimate goal and a current task the player is faced with. It is important to let players see how these two are related or there's less motivation in completing the current task.

9. Players should fear losing progress, but the plot should never regress.

How much a player fears death is proportional to how much progress is lost when they die. Controlling this fear is essential in controlling how reckless and cautious a player plays. If you want players to care about their actions in a game, then there must be some level of progress they can lose. However, any narrative a game has should not be undone only to be retold later. Plot points, like exposition, plot twists, and character introductions and deaths, should never be revealed a second time due to lost progress. If a plot point is followed by a boss there must either be: a save point before boss battle, an option to continue and retry boss match, or the boss needs to be easy enough to ensure any player capable of reaching this point in the game may defeat it. The ability to skip any narrative scene will provide a solution to any mistakes player or designer makes that could regress the plot.

10. Always allow a player to pause or stop playing the game.

Games are supposed to be so engaging players cannot put them down. But when you don't allow a player to pause the game during a battle or cutscene, and when you don't give a player an available save point, you're trapping the player to continue playing the game or lose progress. As a player, I should always have the option to stop playing. Maybe there's a mission that needs to be completed between saves, but I should at least be able to pause the game during that mission. People should be able to prioritize their life, and leisure activities should not require participants to devote an unknown continuous amount of their time towards.
You sir are the proud owner of 9001 internets! :D

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Thou shalt not readeth of thine manual nor ever openeth thine manual. For it is abhorrent. Thine manual shalt be the ever-living spirit of trial and error. Thou shalt however feel trespassed against when there is no manual, and lament thine hardships at not having readeth the manual freely and with bitter breath for days without end. Thou shalt holdeth of those concepts which be not readily apparent against the developer if he does not include them in tutorials, for I have commanded thee to forsake thine manual before invoking thy game.

Dooooooo this in memoooooooory ooooooof meeeeeeeee.

k0n9

Apr 15, 2011
Thou shalt not artificially pad the length of the game(damn the great sea.)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Thou shall not fix camera angles to show off scenery rather than what the player is doing.
Thou shall honour thy health kits, and forsake all other forms of regaining health.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Thou shalt remember your customers are friends, not enemies.
Thou shalt be allowed to advertise to a degree, but not over-hype.
(As an add-on to the prior one.) Thou shalt market responsibly.
Thou shalt not needlessly add co-op to a game that does not need it.
Thou shalt not clone another game for profit.

There's my contributions.

rc0ll

Apr 14, 2011
Thou shalt allow stealth in, y'know, stealth games
Thou shalt not make the player do things the game clearly wasn't designed around (ala squad based shooters making you play half the levels on your own)
Thou shalt not make unnecessary multiplayer
Thou shalt make multiplayer balanced and fair
Thou shalt not make enemies detect you hiding in a bush five miles away (Far Cry style)
Thou shalt refine the art of the moral choice system

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Thou shall not tempt the player with equipment that they can never get or make gear nearly impossible to get.
(I'm looking at you FFXII and even FFIX)
Thou shall not allow easy stun locks either in PVP or from enemies.
Thou shall not release a buggy game.
Thou shall treat other players with respect.
Thou shall not create terribly unbalanced characters in fighters.

megaman24681012 said:
1. Thou shall release all Operation Rainfall games in America.
2. Thou shall not have generic regenerative health in ANY game.
3. Thou shall not make a game repetitive.
4. Thou whom announce a game WILL be dedicated to releasing it.
5. Thou shall not grief.
6. Thou shall not fuck over those who buy second-hand games
7. Thou shall release Mega Man Legends 3 on PS3 and 360.
8. Thou shall release Mega Man Legends 3 on PS3 and 360.
9. Thou shall release Mega Man Legends 3 on PS3 and 360.
10. Thou shall burn in all circles of hell if thou does not release Mega Man Legends 3.

Hmm, was I being a little to straightforward with those last ones?

nah.
Nah. You did fine. But I added a little something to those commandments for ya. It's in bold in case it's not perfectly obvious. I say that because I was heart broken for them to release it on the 3DS. I'd much rather see a proper sequel than a handheld. Not sure why Capcom ever thought that was a good idea. And would it kill them to make a new Breath of Fire game?

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Servallier said:
Thou doth not need that many snipers in one area
I'm gonna have to say this is the best thing anyone has said today. Well done

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
Thou shalt recognise there are more countries in this world than america, china, russia and generic middle eastern country.
Thou shalt read and learn that WW2 started in 1939 not the day of pearl harbour
Thou shalt make it so planes and helicopters in battlefield can be flown without the need of a third arm.
Thou shalt stop with the realism thing

Darklink82

Jun 30, 2011
Thou Shalt respect thine customers
Thou Shalt market responsibly
Thou Shalt never copy gameplay mechanics unless thou art combining them in an interesting and fun way
Thou Shalt add substantial content to sequels
Thou Shalt never have pre-order bonuses
Thou Shalt make DLC worth thine customer's money( No $2.00 chicken suit or dye)
Thou Shalt make multiplayer free without subscription
Thou Shalt never lock away content because the game is used
Thou Shalt never make a movie tie in game
Thou Shalt have fun

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Thou shall let me destroy mine enemies totally, without them screaming hacks.
Thou shalt not let cake jokes make up half of thy game's easter eggs.

Those are my biggest two.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009

Pretty much sums up the majority of my opinions

Our Past-time, which art on screens, hallowed be thy frames.
Your release dates come, your fragging done
On console as is on PC
Give us this game, our daily fix;
And forgive us our failings,
as we have forgiven our noobs.
And lead us not, into Bitching;
And deliver us from Rage Quits.

Sacrilegious? Yes, still waiting on the lighting bolt.

Muh_Balls

Jul 18, 2011
Thou shall value aesthetics over graphics (example: Team Fortress 2)
Thou shall give the player useful advice durring loading screens (not like 'grenades blow up')
Thou shalt not make a generic, brown fps (give something to look at other than iron sights)

Dr_Feelgood

Dec 22, 2010
Servallier said:
Thou doth not need that many snipers in one area
You have played to much TF2 2Fort...haven't you?

Here's mine: Thou shall not have level restrictions on guns. Looking at you Borderlands.

PleasantAsAHeadcrab

Jan 22, 2011
Thou shalt not make the camera an uncooperative son of a motherless goat this points that is always either having some sort of epileptic fit or pointing the wrong way I'M LOOKING AT YOU SILENT HILL 2.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Thou shalt make one Madden(or any sports title) per console generation and sell yearly dlc roster update/texture update if needed/new features
Thou shalt not make a shooter where the pc is made out to be a badass, yet has to spend the whole game in stealth mode or die(I'm looking at you Crysis 2)

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Thou shall complain on gaming boars over minor difficulties and annoyances as if they were major problems.
Generally this, but to rephrase it:

"Thou shalt not Whine."

EDIT - Also, "If Thou should Boycott, Thou shalt stick to it or be forever remembered as a Hypocritical Pansy."

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
How about this one: Thou Shalt not make a NPC extremely powerful when fighting against you and incredibly weakened when fighting with you (the only difference being they switched sides and not for any other reason).

I'm looking at you Baten Kaitos.