The TF2 Spy & Sniper Update, your thoughts

MrLS

May 17, 2009
I liked the achivement system a bunch more.
Me and my Friend stayed up to 3a.m yesterday waiting for the update and when it arrived it was like ''**** You, No Achivement unlocks for you, you git'' This random system really blows, I been playing for 4 hours since i woke up i only found the FAN wich i already had, And i played with a friend that got 3 diffrent weapons under 4 rounds.
And every time someone else got weapons i felt like punching them and stealing it. Seriously Bring the achivement unlocks back instead...

EDIT: Oh yeah and the update introduced alot of bugs, Me and a couple of people has had problems with our graphic cards on TF2, I have random FPS lag spikes i shouldnt have. Someone else i talked to had problems with TF2 only detecting his first graphic card from his crossfire setup.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
Can one not simply host a local server, then go afk for a few hours and end up with stuff?

MrLS

May 17, 2009
spuddyt said:
Can one not simply host a local server, then go afk for a few hours and end up with stuff?
Good question, I'm gonna do that now. If it works im gonna send proof to that this was a bad idea to Valve.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
The new unlock system seems like a really weird move on Valve's part because they're usually so conscious of the reasons and consequences of actions. I can't really see the point of this one though. I understand that it removes some of the acheivement-grinding and class-hogging that some people seem to dislike, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to not just have all the weapons automatically unlocked if that's what they wanted to do. The only thing I can think of is that they just assumed that since they'd had a system for unlocking weapons previously, they needed a system for unlocking weapons now, but they forgot that there should be a reason for it. I hope they do away with it one way or another.

Gizmo

May 4, 2009
no there is not stat padding or what ever u wunna call if for achivements

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Can someone explain to me the new unlock system, I've got 16 achievements for the Spy and not a single weapon unlock.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Utterly shit, pointless, bug ridden and counter productive.

Honestly it's impossible to tell what was on purpose and what is a bug. So this is written assuming everything is deliberate.

The Rifle now has cross hairs.
Spies appear to able to stab whilst cloaked (briefly uncloaks after stab).
When disguised Spies now appear as a friendly spy disguised as an enemy, no longer calls medic.
Spies can use enemy teleporters.
Weapons appear to no longer be class specific eg: Spawning as a Scout may yield a Pyro load out.
Weapon load outs appear to be random.
Achievements are no longer tied to unlocks.
Unlocks system appears random.
Unlocks can now duplicate themselves.
Unlock are no longer class specific eg: playing as a Soldier can gain Heavy unlocks.
Character info/set up screen has replaced weapon image with 50x50 sprites stretched to meet screen resolution.

I really, really hope this is some kind of joke by Valve.
Having played it for a couple of hours all I can say about the updates is that they are both confusing and frustrating.

In particular the spy has gone from nuisance to nigh invincable, there are literally no give aways as to who is or isn't a spy, whilst the sniper's new cross hairs make no-scoping a formality.

I assume the changes to unlocks are a reaction to achievement servers, as well as to make the game more new player friendly. They achieve neither, the new system is confusing even for established players, what hope does a newbie have? The unlocks process appears totally random, it instantly wipes out the feeling of progression that made TF2 so addictive in the first place. It completely removes the player from their own advancements, the closest thing I can liken it to is random battles in RPGs.

As an 'improvement' I think this ranks as one of the worst ever. I won't go as far as to say NGE bad just yet, but if Valve doesn't explain what the hell is going on and fix a hell of a lot of things fast it will easily be the NGE's equal.

I think I'll just not play TF2 until Valve fix this mess.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Can someone explain to me the new unlock system, I've got 16 achievements for the Spy and not a single weapon unlock.
Well you see, the new system basicly means achievements are now obsolete.

Yes, it doesnt matter at all whether you have 1 or all of spy/sniper achievements.

Damn i loved that milestone system :'(

EDIT: And i played for few hours today and all i got was a lowsy axtinguisher, again.
Other people seemed to get new weapons though

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Mr LS said:
spuddyt said:
Good question, I'm gonna do that now. If it works im gonna send proof to that this was a bad idea to Valve.
Actually you can go spectator mode and get the weapons.

Random Weapon system=bad no one likes random stuff

While the Achievement system was not 100% perfect it gave some feeling of accomplish not:

"oliveira8 has found a: FLARE GUN" "oliveira8 has found a: FLARE GUN" "oliveira8 has found a: FLARE GUN"

I got 3 stupid flare guns >.< I already have the flare gun!

At least the Pyro/Heavy/Medic/Scout can unlock their weapons throught achievements.

Random drops=Stupid. BAD VALVE BAD!

But apart from that the game is still fun to play and thats what matters in the end. :p

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
To me TF2 had two important things.
1) TF is still fun to play and its actually suprisingly balanced even at spy/sniper update. Unlike recent scout update which was horrible (for the first 3 days that was).
2) Achievements: i love achieving stuff, in everything. Nothings greater than noticing that i've really succeeded in something. But in TF thats gone now, Well the achievements are still there but there is no real carrot at the end of that stick. so they have become worthless.

I never cheated to get achievements, But i think im going to cheat on this one, since it doesnt matter what i do, as long as i do it for undefined amount of time.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Meatstorm said:
Ollie596 said:

Yes, it doesnt matter at all whether you have 1 or all of spy/sniper achievements.

EDIT: And i played for few hours today and all i got was a lowsy axtinguisher, again.
Ok ok i'm still confused so do you pick these weapons up and do i just randomly play and hope for the best?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Meatstorm said:
Ollie596 said:

Ok ok i'm still confused so do you pick these weapons up and do i just randomly play and hope for the best?
Randomly play and hope for the best.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Ollie596 said:
Meatstorm said:
Ollie596 said:

Randomly play and hope for the best.
Sucks since the guy afk'ing at the spawn has equal chance of getting them as you do.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Played for 4 hours. Ranked up 300 kills. Not a single unlock. Was rather annoyed. Need to stop forming sentences like Rorschach

mimefan

May 18, 2009
I don't see what's so bad about it, I mean, some people could have, I dunno, lives, and in all seriousness, it's a good idea. Don't know what's the fuss about, I mean it's good that you don't spend 100 hours on the computer trying to unlock a weapon, like, staying on the same computer and then you beat your girlfriend up because she's trying to make you dinner and you don't want to have dinner because you must stay on the computer and unlock achievements, now you can have dinner with your girlfriend and by perchance pick up a nifty weapon.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Meh doesn't bother me, stops those losers on the achievement servers from cheating and those people who didn't get their unlocks now have a chance to get them. Now i can get my Kritzkreig.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
mimefan said:
I don't see what's so bad about it, I mean, some people could have, I dunno, lives, and in all seriousness, it's a good idea. Don't know what's the fuss about, I mean it's good that you don't spend 100 hours on the computer trying to unlock a weapon, like, staying on the same computer and then you beat your girlfriend up because she's trying to make you dinner and you don't want to have dinner because you must stay on the computer and unlock achievements, now you can have dinner with your girlfriend and by perchance pick up a nifty weapon.
No.

Random drops are stupid as hell. Its what they are random. I played 3 hours and I got 3 flare guns. In 3 hours you can complete 10 achievements to get the flare gun if you bother to look at the achievement description.

And cause they random you can play for 20 hours and get NO weapons. They traded a simple grind for an annoying and stupid one.

The worst part is that you don't even need to play to get the weapons, you can go spectator mode, leave PC on, go to sleep, in the morning -if you lucky this is- you have all the weapons....or 50 Flare Guns...

I remenber in WoW people complain about Epics are to easy to get. TF2 takes another step in giving the weapons for nothing.

Its just...urg..

Random drop system=Stupid and needs to go/reworked

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
beholdmycape said:
spuddyt said:
One does not simply walk into stuff.
Yes you do.

You don't pick stuff, you get them. Even by not playing and just be AFK you get the weapons.