The TF2 Spy & Sniper Update, your thoughts

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
mikecoulter said:
I hate the fact I have this on the 360, and I refuse to purchase it again. Dammit.
Purchase the game and a new gaming PC, and probably upgrade your internet connection ect. Yeah, I think I'll keep mah 360 >_>

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:
I hate the fact I have this on the 360, and I refuse to purchase it again. Dammit.
Purchase the game and a new gaming PC, and probably upgrade your internet connection ect. Yeah, I think I'll keep mah 360 >_>
Yeah, there's just no logic in pc gaming for me, every six months your hardware is obsolete!

But, I do like some pc games, Sim City for one.....

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
rainman2203 said:
I bet the servers are ridiculous right now. I'm not bothering to try to get on till after this weekend though. Why the hell would Valve release a huge update and have a free weekend in the same week?
Erm, to get moneys when people (who may have already tried the game) buy it to get the shiny new toys.

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
I don't feel like I'm making aaany sort of progress anymore, getting achievements is just pointless. And I still don't have anything of the drops after playing for a pretty long time.

Oh well TF2 is still a fun game.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
mikecoulter said:
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:
Yeah, there's just no logic in pc gaming for me, every six months your hardware is obsolete!

No its not.

Since I got my PC which costed around 1200 Euros 4-5 years ago I spent on it 10 euros on a new keyboard and it runs everything today apart from crap Vista only games.
BillyWentBoom said:
I don't think I really care. I stopped playing shortly after the Scout update which broke the game into a thousand tiny pieces then shat on them from the empire state building. They also had rancid meat the day before explaining the stench. In more recent light this looks interesting and probably worth the re-install which I am doing right now. The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do.
How was it broken beyond repair?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
mikecoulter said:
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:

Mike, less of the retarded trolling please. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't speak, please. My 6 year old computer can play TF2, and that was no gaming rig. You, sir, fail (esp since my significantly younger original Xbox can't play TF2. Which system has the more longevity? :p ).

On topic, this is annoying - one of the reasons I kept picking up TF2 was because of the character updates - the new achievements and unlockables gave a reason for playing, as they do with any game. Now however if you can stand around for 15 mins and unlock shit where's the point? Seeing someone with unlocks no longer means that they're a competent player - it means nothing now :'(

Bad move, Valve - and I'm saying that even though there was no way in hell that I'd ever get milestone 3 on most characters :/

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
oliveira8 said:
mikecoulter said:
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:

No its not.
I spent £1000 pounds on a Dell about 4/5 years ago, and had to spend about £90 upping the ram and getting a remarkable deal on a graphics card. But it's by no means state of the art. Runs pretty much everything, but people rant about Intel I7's as if they're must have. My Dell has one core and is considered "obsolete" but, runs anything I've tried. But still, people advise the newest and latest things. Which is why console gaming is for me. You get a guaranteed 5 years of having top of the line equipment.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
mikecoulter said:
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:

Mike, less of the retarded trolling please.
How exactly have I "Trolled" this topic by giving an opinion? And admitting it's just not for me?

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
oliveira8 said:
BillyWentBoom said:
I don't think I really care. I stopped playing shortly after the Scout update which broke the game into a thousand tiny pieces then shat on them from the empire state building. They also had rancid meat the day before explaining the stench. In more recent light this looks interesting and probably worth the re-install which I am doing right now. The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do.
Could you indicate where I said "broken beyond repair?"

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
mikecoulter said:
Wicky_42 said:
mikecoulter said:
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:

How exactly have I "Trolled" this topic by giving an opinion? And admitting it's just not for me?
The statement "Every six months your hardware is obsolete" is incorrect, and commonly made by console fanboys trolling PC threads or within console vs PC threads. At the very least it is a misrepresentation of PC gaming, the spreading of lies and misinformation that helps no-one and serves only to stagnate ill-informed opinions.

That and the fact that it was an off topic criticism that served no purpose other than the one stated above.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
mikecoulter said:
Wicky_42 said:
mikecoulter said:
sooperman said:
mikecoulter said:

The statement "Every six months your hardware is obsolete" is incorrect, and commonly made by console fanboys trolling PC threads or within console vs PC threads. At the very least it is a misrepresentation of PC gaming, the spreading of lies and misinformation that helps no-one and serves only to stagnate ill-informed opinions.

That and the fact that it was an off topic criticism that served no purpose other than the one stated above.
I am in no way a fanboy, I even praised Sim City. Possibly I should rephrase obsolete with, no longer top of the line. And for people who don't want to adjust their systems from time to time, console gaming could offer a guarantee of more economical security in the long run. Also, it was an off topic remark that sprouted from an earlier on topic remark.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
it sucks.Servers are full,no milestones,random picking up...
Did Valve had a party with crack and got idea of Free Weekend,2 new updates and random picking up weapons?

Nickzilla

May 12, 2009
BillyWentBoom said:
oliveira8 said:
BillyWentBoom said:
Well, how was it broken then? I played before the scout update and after and not so much difference.

As for this update... it seems like a pretty serious botch so far. Unlocking items is now completely random which Valve kept a secret. That's stupid for a start. If they announced an idea like that, the community would shoot it down in minutes, but now they've just implemented something that nobody likes.

Oh wait... I forgot something. You now unlock achievements randomly too, which means that even if they didn't implement random item drops, we'd still unlock items randomly!

They had the same problem with left 4 dead briefly. I managed to get lamb 2 slaughter as a survivor on campaign for example. But why they made the same mistake for TF2 I don't know.

If none of you have noticed, you will soon I think. I saw a sniper unlock an achievement for killing me in midair while I was crouching, I saw a spy get the achievement for backstabbing a medic after being healed by said medic after shooting me with a revolver (while I was playing spy) and I got the achievement for backstabbing somebody and making them switch to pyro by frontstabbing... a pyro.

At least the double payload is fun. Much better than single payload.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I really don't get this new system. I went on to see players with new weapons already, to find it's now a chance game?

I mean, in the time I played this morning I somehow got the Kritzkrieg and the Boink! Atmoic Punch, yet I only had got 2 achievments.

So my question is, how do these weapons get distributed? Is it when you pick up a dropped weapon from a dead enemy? Does the weapon you get have to be the one dropped by the dead guy? Does it matter what class you play to get certain drops or is it equal for all of the weapons from all of the clases?

Is there some kind of official forum-post about this new system? I'm really confused.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
mikecoulter said:
*snip*
I am in no way a fanboy, I even praised Sim City. Possibly I should rephrase obsolete with, no longer top of the line. And for people who don't want to adjust their systems from time to time, console gaming could offer a guarantee of more economical security in the long run. Also, it was an off topic remark that sprouted from an earlier on topic remark.
I didn't say you were a fan boy, there's no reason to get all defensive. If you read what I said, I pointed out that such comments were common of fanboys, and thus unnecessary. The 'on topic remark' you refer to said that the guy would need to buy a new computer if he wanted to play the game on PC, which didn't need you to make an inflammatory exaggeration regarding the nature of PC hardware.

As to your suggestion that console could offer more 'economic security in the long run', I would disagree. Consider the failure rate of this gen of consoles vs PCs, and that my 6 year old standard part PC can still play TF2 great, whilst my younger original Xbox cannot and is now no longer supported (I can't even get my controllers repaired, and at £25 a pop that's a nasty chunk of cash burned there by outdated hardware that broke down before my PC did).

There's little substance behind claiming PCs have higher obsolescence than consoles - sure, if you must play the next graphically-demanding game at high-def with 16x anti-aliasing and maximum graphics settings then you're going to need to upgrade, but part of the fun of PC games is that their graphics are scalable - the same 6 year old computer could run Crysis on low settings, which quite frankly beats the socks off any console.

... Damn, it looks like you've got me ranting :/ sorry about that.

on topic, I'm still looking forward to trying out the latest stuff, and I can understand that Valve didn't want servers suddenly completely filled with spies and snipers achievement grinding, but the lack of a goal beyond mindless achievement-whoring kinda makes me feel cheated :/

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Crystal Cuckoo said:
EDIT: Perhaps this was to prevent people from farming achievements purely for better weapons?
Yeah except one can set up a server to be just them and leave it overnight to automatically give them items. New form of farming already. Quite simply, they solved nothing and created a wave of bitterness. I don't even consider it possible to fix this stupid random system. I played for 10 hours. I got 2 items. I have seen people who have played for twenty minutes and gotten more than I did in the time it took me. And granted they were getting duplicates of stuff they already unlocked, so it's even more broken.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Glad that I have an Xbox for once. Although recently, all the games have zero gravity and criticals. Weirdly enough, I played a game with the G-Man and some Vortigants standing around.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
BillyWentBoom said:
oliveira8 said:
BillyWentBoom said:
I stopped playing shortly after the Scout update which broke the game into a thousand tiny pieces then shat on them from the empire state building.They also had rancid meat the day before explaining the stench. In more recent light this looks interesting and probably worth the re-install which I am doing right now. The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do.

Here.

That kinda says that the game got so bad that its almost unplayable and no matter how much updates it gets, it will stay the same broken crappy game.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
The new unlock system helps prevent everyone spamming the upgraded classes, it puts an end to farming achievements. I don't have any big issues with it. Everyone will get all the unlocks in time, you just have to work for it rather than just getting some mates together and farming them all.

Jan 29, 2009
Senrab said:
Played for 3 hours and unlocked nothing, not even stuff I already had. Dunno about this new system, but I'm glad you don't have to be playing the class you wanna unlock stuff for.
Yes! I think it was a smart move, as they removed the aspect of only 1 class per team of people getting achievements! It is actually well-balanced!