The TF2 Spy & Sniper Update, your thoughts

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
Personally, Valve has made a very bad mistake with this one, at least in my opinion.
My reasons being, originally, you had to get achievements to unlock the new weapons, sometimes they were a bit extreme, but never that hard to get enough. With this new update you get weapons at RANDOM. There is no way i know of so far to get things on purpose. That's right, no more milestone system. It's gone. You don't even have to playing as the same class to get the weapons for it. You'll even sometimes "find" weapons you already unlocked.
Post your reasons for hating, or liking it. Valve made some minor improvements. But made many major faults.

Edit*
Forgot to Mention, anyone having problems with spawning as one class, but having the weapons of another class.

Some servers had people picking sniper but spawning as a scout with a sniper rifle and smg etc
But they could still double jump. problems. They also had the speed of a scout
When i tried to go spy. I had the skin of an engi. But spy weapons. I even picked up metal. But i couldnt build anything, disguise, or go invisible. So i just died. This happened alot to me

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
Played for 3 hours and unlocked nothing, not even stuff I already had. Dunno about this new system, but I'm glad you don't have to be playing the class you wanna unlock stuff for.

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
Senrab said:
Played for 3 hours and unlocked nothing, not even stuff I already had. Dunno about this new system, but I'm glad you don't have to be playing the class you wanna unlock stuff for.
but don't you see, you get rewarded for doing NOTHING. You don't have to do anything to get it. I saw one person stand for 14 minutes afk, then it said he found the razorback. When he came back he started bragging about it. This takes away the purpose of playing the game more to unlock the items. Because you can just leave and come back later to see if you found it

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
... Is this what they are SERIOUSLY doing now? God damn it. I was starting to grind achievements as a spy to get that kickass new spy watch.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I like it. I really hated how for all the other updates, people played exclusively that class. I mean, when the scout update came out, I could see as many as eight scouts on a team. I much prefer this new system, as I hated the old one (in fact, I still do not have the scout unlocks).

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
This new achievement system was obviously implemented to encourage playing with people rather than sitting in achievement servers.

Yes, it isn't fun to discover unlocks you've already aquired, but in all; you will get all of the unlocks in roughly the same amount of time it would take you to acquire them via achievements.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
The good
I like the concept of the bow and the ambassador looks awesome. yet to use either but I seen them they look awesome.

the cloak and dagger is cool, although weaker than I was hoping, last a very short amount of time. so its great for camping enemy base but terrible for crossing the "front", in any hurry anyway.

Some really nice overall balance updates, such as fixing many of the things which made spy disguises so obvious. disguises in general are much more viable, spy checking slightly harder. couple of other cool things added.

The bad
I dislike how there are no kukri or knife unlockables. apart from bow these updates fail to really change the classes much. especially the spy I feel who only vastly different object is the dead ringer which will probably be useless.

despite some really cool achievements added, they are now obsolete, all that hard work we have done for nothing. the sense of achievement has really been taken from the achievements. makes you wonder why they went through all that effort.

new random picking up weapons is FAIL. why ability to have more than one of a weapon? why have a massive backpack? why ability to delete weapons? perhaps they will add a reason but for now there is absolute no sense to it.

Overall
Alot of mystery and speculation about what valve is doing to TF2, but so far the community are really not liking it. look at the steam forums. its mad because TF2 is so popular and they are alienating their fans and player base.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
I bet the servers are ridiculous right now. I'm not bothering to try to get on till after this weekend though. Why the hell would Valve release a huge update and have a free weekend in the same week?

Offriender

Jan 10, 2009
For what it's worth, I just got Scout Milestone 1 and unlocked the Force-a-Nature. So you can still get old weapons from achievements.

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
rainman2203 said:
I bet the servers are ridiculous right now. I'm not bothering to try to get on till after this weekend though. Why the hell would Valve release a huge update and have a free weekend in the same week?
My opinion, to cram the server downloads so noone can see what it looks like.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Here's my thought, they got WoW in my TF2 and I am not happy. The random drop system is completely broken. People who are merely spectating can get unlocks, and the achievements are now meaningless instead of serving as a way for (most) people to get better. I unlocked everything that I unlocked so far through playing and learning how to be damn good at a class. Yes I know some people farm achievements, well screw them for ruining it for the rest of us I guess.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
Like the guy who got the Force-A-Nature, I got the Backburner from unlocking Milestone 2.
Iono. I liked it when you could unlock weapons by achieving something. I started playing more often with a new type of flamethrower in my mind =].
I doubt this was to counter-attack achievement servers, because the achievements, to most people, were just little surprises that you got for killing a certain amount of people. You kind of denied yourself the satisfaction of igniting 10 spies and getting a whole new weapon you're been wantign ofr a while. It's like you're cheating yourself.

EDIT: Perhaps this was to prevent people from farming achievements purely for better weapons?

May 15, 2009
i haven't tried the update yet, since i'm at work today.

but from what i can gather regarding the forum activity, a lot of people are unhappy with the 'random unlocking'. you have to ask yourself, which is better?

a) forcing players to endure a boring grind on an achievement server for ~4 hours, or playing on official maps for weeks/months
b) forcing players to play the game for an unspecified length of time

frankly, i don't really care, but option b does stir a bit of excitement like the good old times playing diablo2. also solves the problem of people cheating to get their weapons.

as for the other changes, specifically spy bug fixes, sniper shooting through teammates and pyro tweaks - fawking awesum.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
tarquin biscuitbarrel said:

but from what i can gather regarding the forum activity, a lot of people are unhappy with the 'random unlocking'. you have to ask yourself, which is better?

a) forcing players to endure a boring grind on an achievement server for ~4 hours, or playing on official maps for weeks/months

frankly, i don't really care, but option b does stir a bit of excitement like the good old times playing diablo2. also solves the problem of people cheating to get their weapons.
Both are bad considering you can spend 4 days playing straight and not get the weapons at all.

I already have Natasha!!! Geez....But its not gamebreaking its just boring. I liked more the achievements. They made the game more..hmm..streamlined.

To get unlockable weapons->complete achievements->get weapons.

Now:

To get unlockable weapons->get lucky with random drops->maybe get weapons

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
oliveira8 said:
tarquin biscuitbarrel said:

Both are bad considering you can spend 4 days playing straight and not get the weapons at all.

I already have Natasha!!! Geez....But its not gamebreaking its just boring. I liked more the achievements. They made the game more..hmm..streamlined.

To get unlockable weapons->complete achievements->get weapons.

Now:

To get unlockable weapons->get lucky with random drops->maybe get weapons
This could have been done better. For example, higher scores give you a better chance to find Items, you can trade Items you already have like they promised, and you have a higher chance of finding weapons you don't already have.

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
I don't think I really care. I stopped playing shortly after the Scout update which broke the game into a thousand tiny pieces then shat on them from the empire state building. They also had rancid meat the day before explaining the stench. In more recent light this looks interesting and probably worth the re-install which I am doing right now. The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do.