The Turn Based Combat Thread

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Rodger said:
I'm of the opinion that, pre-Advent Children, the characters really weren't pulling stunts like that. I honestly believe the characters only became walking supermen to add flashy action scenes to the movie. It wouldn't have been half as popular, as a movie, if it didn't have characters battling it out on the side of buildings. If thats how they were always meant to be then there's no reason they couldn't have hinted at it out of battle or through the character's attack animations. Every final fantasy since Advent Children has either had characters showing Advent Children-level powers or, in the case of the remakes, shown it in CG scenes.
Eh. Hard to say what was really happening in Tetsuya Nomura's imagination from FF7 up until Advent Children, but you have to admit it's difficult to believe that Terra Bradford was fighting this:

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/40%20-%20Kefka.gif

... with anything OTHER than some really fancy moves. Personally I think there were plenty of indications. FFIX stands out in particular, especially in the final scene where Zidane races through the Iifa tree to find Kuja. And do you really think Sephiroth WINCHED the Midgar Zolam up to the top of that tree he impaled it on? I don't...

I should also note that pre-dating Advent Children was Kingdom Hearts, which had the strongest indication of the action level apart from that film.

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
Disgea and Front Mission 1 are my favourite turn based stratagy games followed closely by warlords 2.

schubi

Aug 27, 2008
In the '90 i was primarily a PC gamer, so i could choose from a huge amount of turn based strategy games from Panzer general to UFO to Jagged alliance. Now that i focus more on consoles, the pickings are slim at best. Sure there are games like Advance wars, FF Tactics, and other JRPGs feature tactical combat, but mostly it doesn't feel the same. Is the genre slowly folding?

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Turn-based combat always goes well in RPGs... Final Fantasy (up to X-2), Legaia 1 & 2, Wild ARMs 1-3 (4 wasn't turn based... it was just shite. I haven't played 5, but don't care to do so either).
The list goes on...

Tactics games are good too. The Disgaia series, Luminous Arc 1 & 2, the Final Fantasy Tactics series, etc.

Anyway, in responce to the battle screen not portraying the world at the time... I think they need to make a turn-based combat that doesn't go to a seperate screen.

I swear I've played a game that has monsters roaming the areas you're running around in and when you get within a certain distance, the game "pauses" the world around you as you go into turn-based combat without going to a battle area, letting you select your moves and targets etc.
If not, they need to make one like that.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I've always thought the battle system in "Mazes of Fate" for the Game Boy Advance or the Nintendo DS was very reminiscent of the Active Battle System in FF5 to FF9, including Chrono Trigger, except more fast and fluid. It felt like it was a real-time combat system but *WAS* a turn based system.

Each character had one turn they could use in combat, and had a gauge to determine when they can enact their turn, similar to Chrono Trigger (CT). Unlike CT, the gauge was always at maximum, but depleted a little based upon what action the character did, even moving around on the map. Of course moving doesn't take that much from the gauge, but say for example your characters ran down a hallway at a monster, then they wouldn't be able to act right there. Characters performing moves like attacking or casting spells reduce the gauge further, some more then others, which means you have to time your attacks properly and wait in a turn-based fashion to attack the enemy.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I've always thought the battle system in "Mazes of Fate" for the Game Boy Advance or the Nintendo DS was very reminiscent of the Active Battle System in FF5 to FF9, including Chrono Trigger, except more fast and fluid. It felt like it was a real-time combat system but *WAS* a turn based system.

Each character had one turn they could use in combat, and had a gauge to determine when they can enact their turn, similar to Chrono Trigger (CT). Unlike CT, the gauge was always at maximum, but depleted a little based upon what action the character did, even moving around on the map. Of course moving doesn't take that much from the gauge, but say for example your characters ran down a hallway at a monster, then they wouldn't be able to act right there. Characters performing moves like attacking or casting spells reduce the gauge further, some more then others, which means you have to time your attacks properly and wait in a turn-based fashion to attack the enemy.

EDIT: GAH!! Stupid double post. Sorry. >.<

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
Well I love Final Fantsey's system. I also love Xenosaga's system. They are very fun. I love them!

Gantoris

Aug 6, 2008
"GloatingSwine"

LoL i did actually mean to say epic 40k, my bad! I was never a huge fan of regular 40k either (Tho i did have a 40k scale Reaver Titan!), it was always about Fantasy Battles and Epic for me with a healthy dose of Blood Bowl on the side. It was in fact a new edition of epic that finally killed GW for me, the rules were simplified so much you might have well just both rolled a dice and the highest wins the battle. The only Games Workshop stuff ive touched in the past 6-7 years is there video games like Relics Dawn of War.

Just had a thought folks, just how awsome would it be if they made a Warhammer: Total War :)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Grimm91 said:
Well I love Final Fantsey's system. I also love Xenosaga's system. They are very fun. I love them!
Which System? Xenosaga 1 had an Attack Point system similar to Chrono Cross and Xenogears, Xenosaga 2 had that weird Body Part Targeting System that didn't make any sense and Xenosaga 3 had a pretty standard but well built Turn Based System that added in the break meter.

By Final Fantasy I'm guessing you mean Active Time Battle? Technically that's real time, only a slower style of real time.

Gantoris

Aug 6, 2008
"GloatingSwine"

LoL i did actually mean to say epic 40k, my bad! I was never a huge fan of regular 40k either (Tho i did have a 40k scale Reaver Titan!), it was always about Fantasy Battles and Epic for me with a healthy dose of Blood Bowl on the side. It was in fact a new edition of epic that finally killed GW for me, the rules were simplified so much you might have well just both rolled a dice and the highest wins the battle. The only Games Workshop stuff ive touched in the past 6-7 years is there video games like Relics Dawn of War.

Just had a thought folks, just how awsome would it be if they made a Warhammer: Total War :)

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I think Final Fantasy X had great use of turn-based combat.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm not big on table top tactical myself, I tend to just stick with my standard Pen and Paper RPG's... which are unavoidably turn based. Though in the best sessions one can usually discard the Rigid Turn Structure in favor of a more fluid style of play.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
i can't believe that no one's yet cited X-COM! turn-based goodness at it's best if you ask me... the game is what, 20 years old? and the depth and game-play has yet to be matched as far as i'm concerned... i still play it to this day...

i also really enjoyed the highly underrated game Gladius...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
I think my opinion of the X-Com games speaks for itself... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.82574]

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Of course one can always point to something like Chrono Trigger and say it is great because it is, no doubt about it. However, I've always been one to find more joy in the little things.

First off, one of my favorite additions to any turn-based combat system is Disgaea. Aside from making almost any level a tricky puzzle on how to clear the level doing the most damage to the geopanels, it also had the super-entertaining lift/throw system that was a constant amusement, especially if you have a few penguins lying around, and the combos and spells that you could access even from the beginning felt unique.

OK, that turned out to be more about the game necessarily than the turn basedness, but lets look at another one that always amused me, Chrono Cross. While it has some bits that definitely detract from the finished product, I was always pleased with the way you were forced to manage your spells carefully. The limitation made me choose a lot more carefully when I fought and led to more time spent with those spells customizing than with Materia. Which, unfortunately, turned out to be my downfall as I have never finished the game. I spent so much time and just barely had made it past the halfway point. The balance of magic in that game was always one of my favorite points of it though, so a plus there.

Golden Sun was another great example. Every move changes the way you have to play the game, as you can change classes mid battle if you plan it right. The summons were something you had to plan in advance since even getting them would often leave you rather weakened, and the creatures themselves were charming without being cute and annoying. The Djinni are the unique bit here, and they were what made the game special to me.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Strafe Mcgee said:
I always thought that Chess's turn based system was pretty compelling. :D
Not meaning to be mean or anything but can we avoid posting about Table Top Turn Based please?

Table Top is pretty much Turn Based by necessity and this thread is really geared more towards videogames.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
I really like the original X-Com like so many others. Turn based games that have internal sub turns per turn per-se (that's a mouthful)...meaning, you just don't move a chracters like a chess piece...you move the character, then assign action points for them to do various thinsg with each sub-action having a diffrent value assigned.

Example: Do you move you guy 5 square, or do you move him 4 space, then crouch, then pull off two burst shots, or do you move three, kneel and pull off a single devestating snipe shot?

The combination of the sub moves and the slow and deliberate pace on how the action strategically unfolds I haev always found more tense and riveting...than to non-turn based games where you gun and run.

Maybe it's a product of my environment, being an only child....I had the luxury to entertain myself, and thus I could craft things my way. I love turn based games, because after I save a session and go about my day, I often fill my idle time in thinking of "What if I do this? I wonder if I try that?" I don't know how many times I'd go to bed and continue playing out a scenario in my head 3-4 turns into the future, trying to anticpate the opponet or A.I. next move.

I think turn based games keep the mind very sharp and active and always engaging whether you're playing or temporarily away.

So games I like: Civ series, X-Com, Advance Wars, Jean D'Arc...and there was an old Sierra game I like played on a hex board using customizable mechs...Mech Assault? I dunno...but it was Sierra