The Turn Based Combat Thread

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
I honestly don't think the later FF series Active Battle could be considered in true keeping to "turn-based" as it robs you of those precious seconds (sometimes minutes) of surveying the field in depth to carefully set your grand scheme in motion.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Another thing about the ATB gauge is I'm pretty sure Square has a copyright on it. In other words, only the Final Fantasy games and other Square titles will ever have it.

ATB is plenty turn based though. Its a more 'fast paced' turn based combat, but nothings stopping you from pausing the battle to take a breather. You can also set the system from Active to Wait, giving you time to play with the menus.

NXMT

Jan 29, 2009
Fallout Tactics. Setting to to turn based allows you more room to try out various strategies.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
schubi said:
In the '90 i was primarily a PC gamer, so i could choose from a huge amount of turn based strategy games from Panzer general to UFO to Jagged alliance. Now that i focus more on consoles, the pickings are slim at best. Sure there are games like Advance wars, FF Tactics, and other JRPGs feature tactical combat, but mostly it doesn't feel the same. Is the genre slowly folding?
Jagged Alliance 2 has to be one of my favorite Turn Based games. There are also a lot of good mods for that game if you get tired of playing the vanilla version of the game.

Jagers1994 said:
Civ series and FF7 are really the best turn based systems out there.
But didn't you realize that Final Fantasy 7 has the same "system" since the first game? The only difference was that the Active Time that was added starting with 4.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
The Jagged Alliance 2 system is my favourite. Because it has very fast turn resolution (unless it bugs out, which does happen every few hours). Compared to the more recent Silent Storm series, JA2 resolves a turn in a few seconds, while SS takes a few minutes (on my laptop).

Civ series is good and simple, but Civ 4 ruined the game for me when on big maps in the modern era, a turn takes forever to resolve. I prefer the SM Alpha Centauri system where turns resolve almost instantly even late into the game, and multiplayer turns can resolve simutaneously (I bet you didn't know that before!).

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP) is growing on me also, but unlike the Civ and JA2 system where I feel the action is intense and I really need for it to be broken into turns to make proper decisions, in FFT I think the turns just drags on a lot. This could be because I'm still early in the game, and all of the attacks are soooooo weak.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Big fan of turnbased. Tactics imo will always be greater then the fast paced button frantics of newer RPG's. And nobody did this better then Shining Force and Dark Wizard. *clears throat....SEGA!

suiraclaw

Nov 26, 2008
Okay here is what i've heard. You have a set number of points each turn, and you can spend them on attacks. For example: Fire 1 point, Fira 2 points, Firaga 3 points.
Note this is only what i've heard. I have no Idea, how many points you can spend each turn. For all I know, it's a new mana system.
That's already implemented in a lot of games. For example, in the game (dofus arena) I reviewed here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.85677 .

It's actually quite a nice system if the spells are well balanced and work in synergy: the system only matters as picking different spells to use is better then using all points in one spells.

Hope I understood the concept right...

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
goodman528 said:
The Jagged Alliance 2 system is my favourite. Because it has very fast turn resolution (unless it bugs out, which does happen every few hours). Compared to the more recent Silent Storm series, JA2 resolves a turn in a few seconds, while SS takes a few minutes (on my laptop).

Civ series is good and simple, but Civ 4 ruined the game for me when on big maps in the modern era, a turn takes forever to resolve. I prefer the SM Alpha Centauri system where turns resolve almost instantly even late into the game, and multiplayer turns can resolve simutaneously (I bet you didn't know that before!).

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP) is growing on me also, but unlike the Civ and JA2 system where I feel the action is intense and I really need for it to be broken into turns to make proper decisions, in FFT I think the turns just drags on a lot. This could be because I'm still early in the game, and all of the attacks are soooooo weak.
I have a 2.8gig processor and Silent Strom still takes a minute or two to take a turn. But it also depends (in both games) on how many enemies and npcs are on the map. And I also recently started playing FFT for PSP. I played the heck out of the original PSX version, but a lot of people have been complaining about the slow down in the PSP version that occurs when you use most any ability or spell. If you are having trouble you should learn JP Boost from the Squire class for everybody and spend an hour or so leveling up your jobs until you can either get better spells or just make everyone a Dragoon and with Items and Throw Item and you'll be pretty much unstoppable. I leveled up to a level 28 by the end of the second chapter and I'm having trouble beating the end of the third at level 35. Even though I'm a higher level than them they still do more damage.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
hefajstos2 said:
Heros of Might and Magic, it explains itself.
Good call, hadn't thought of that. Heroes is awesome on that part. And Temple of Elemental Evil does it really good as well.

Edit: Oh, and speaking of Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders works really great as well. Rather than the based-on-the-guy's-speed-thing HOMM has, Age of Wonders lets you control your units all at once on your specified turn, then you end it, and the opponent gets to do the same. The downside of it is that the first one to reach the enemy lines during his turn gets a clear advantage, but the upside is that it enables you to better plan your movement and coordinate your forces.

Flinchy

Sep 17, 2008
FF style combat, FFT style combat, Civ style gameplay
yes please, any day.

the only reason i can't play final fantasy games any longer... the up to 10-20 seconds long wait between loading areas (an issue with every single non tactics final fantasy game, barring the SNES ones, and the computer versions of FFVII/VIII)

sometimes 5-10 second pauses between deciding to give me a random encounter, and actually letting me fight, then a two second instant win battle... then 5-10 seconds back to the world. (this isn't so much of an issue with FFXII)

though on both these points, its a possibility my PS2 was slowing down on its read times... or the discs were damaged and hard to read (both?)

i've already finished the storyline, so purely being able to enjoy the gameplay, is somewhat tarnished.

for Civ/tactics type games, this however does not apply, as the pauses are ALWAYS miniscule fractions of the actual gameplay.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
I'm surprised noone said Shattered Union. The game was addicting, and it gave me brief case of Tetris syndrome, where I started seeing Hexagonal grids everywhere.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
I adored Final Fantasy III. And Advance wars, and Pokémon!

I love turn based combat, although I feel it's not at all as skillful as RTS style combat.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Just to point it out to those who may not be aware...

Final Fantasy has only changed "systems" a few times. The method of Ability Learning is often very different from the previous installments but many of them have similar battle systems.

Final Fantasy 1-3 (Not the remakes): All of these have Ultra Standard Turn Based combat with Speed determining Turn Order. You enter all your combat commands at the begining, and then wait to see when they occur.

Final Fantasy 4-9: These all use Active Time Battle, a psuedo real time system where Time Bars fill up according to Speed and you Act when your bar is full. One of the problems with this is that often when an Action is taken, it does not occur immediately, but rather it occurs in comparisson to when other commands were entered and when the animations for said attacks go off. Basically that Cure All you desperately need doesn't always occur before the Boss uses his Massive Kill Everyone move.

Final Fantasy 10: This used the Conditional Turn Based system, an extreme modification of Standard Turn Based Combat where Your Speed determines when your turn pops up in the Displayed Turn Order. But certain Actions are Faster or Slower than others, which can change your turn order. For example Quick Hit is a Fast Move, your next turn will come up quicker, similarly Slow Moves like many of Aurons will delay your next turn for a bit. A major advantage of this is you always know when your turns will occur, actions happen as soon as they are entered,

Final Fantasy 10-2: A variation on Active Time Battle where actions occur as soon as they are entered OR they display a "Charge Up" or "Count Down" bar that displayes the time it will take for the action to occur. This system is very Action Heavy and almost Real Time in its execution.

Final Fantasy 12: Used a Variation on the Active Time Battle system by transplanting it all into an Overworld Setting and having Warmup Timers for all the actions, so you knew when they were going to occur. Battles basically occur in Real Time with the player having the option to pause the action in order to enter commands.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Gantoris said:
Although i love many of the games mentioned here like Civ, Galactic Civ and the Total War series for me the greatest of great turn based games is Jagged Alliance 1/2. Massively underrated squad based combat games that almost no one has ever played, i strongly recommend giving JA2 a try if you haven't i seriously doubt anyone will be disappointed. Also along a similar vien and almost as awsome are the first two UFO games (UFO: Enemy Unknown and XCOM Terror from the deep) which gave me weeks of joy back in the days, as did the original Fallout games.
That sums it up for me.

Jagged Alliance had some pretty nice stuff. I like AP systems.

I'd also like to mention Shining Force was awesome. And Langrisser.