The Turn Based Combat Thread

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Strafe Mcgee said:
I always thought that Chess's turn based system was pretty compelling. :D
Not meaning to be mean or anything but can we avoid posting about Table Top Turn Based please?

Table Top is pretty much Turn Based by necessity and this thread is really geared more towards videogames.
Aw c'mon man, that was quite clearly a joke...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Front Mission 4 had some very nice turn based combat with a mix of destroying the parts on the enemy.
Oh, the laughs I had blowing off his arms so he couldn't attack and leaving him for last so he could watch his friends die in front of him.
*Very, VERY evil grin*

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
NDWolfwood5268 said:
I absolutely loved the FF8 system. Magic junctions to adjust attributes and attack characteristics made it seem much more intelligent than just 'this armor rocks' and 'this weapon pwns'. I had the best weapons, with one guy having sleep junctioned, another with poison, and the last with blind. This setup made me able to defeat every boss, including Omega weapon, but didn't reduce the game to easy mode.

I would faint if I ever saw this system integrated again with more options (more magical effects, fire/ice/thunder wasn't too great on weapons) and especially in todays graphics. Maybe particle effects emanating from the weapons based on the magic selected.

After FF8, all other turn based systems seemed sub-par to me. I long for the return of that majestic element of preparation needed for FF8 fights...
I really have to agree with you. Although it can seem overwhelming at first. I think that's why my friend never got into it.

gamebrain89

May 29, 2008
Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri is one of my personal favorite turn based strategy games. I found my copy for a dollar at a garage sale. I still pull it out and play it every so often. Something about destroying my enemies with "Mindworms" is just so freaking awesome. I love it. Great game, great game.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
scarbunny said:
NDWolfwood5268 said:
I absolutely loved the FF8 system. Magic junctions to adjust attributes and attack characteristics made it seem much more intelligent than just 'this armor rocks' and 'this weapon pwns'. I had the best weapons, with one guy having sleep junctioned, another with poison, and the last with blind. This setup made me able to defeat every boss, including Omega weapon, but didn't reduce the game to easy mode.

I would faint if I ever saw this system integrated again with more options (more magical effects, fire/ice/thunder wasn't too great on weapons) and especially in todays graphics. Maybe particle effects emanating from the weapons based on the magic selected.

After FF8, all other turn based systems seemed sub-par to me. I long for the return of that majestic element of preparation needed for FF8 fights...
Agreed, just with out the sucky draw system.
Yeah, it was kinda genius. Weapon customization on the fly, limited by your magic spells. Ditto with the thing about the Draw system too. However, element/status strike weapons in FFX kinda beat it out (but more significantly limited by one's patience to find/customize said weapon) You can also swap out weapons mid-fight, as opposed to FF8. Celestial weapons are near Game Breaker, but they're kinda off topic here.

Powerman88 said:
I don't mean to be a jerk and change the subject of this forum, but FF8 had to be about the worst FF game ever; in terms of gameplay systems, characters, and plot. The combat system was one of the most flawed i can think of; use summons every battle until the game is over. Not to start a flame war, but that game gets me so fired up because of its piss poor quality!!
Definitely disagree with that one. FF8 did have a somewhat tedious system (possibly magnified due to the many times I had to restart), but I like the story, characters, and plot. Of all the FF's I've played significantly, 10 has the best story and 12 has the worst story and characters (solid enough game for me though) I never played 1-5, didn't play nearly far enough in 6, never played 7, 9, X-2, 11, or any spinoff titles minus Crystal Chronicles (didn't get to finish)

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
To me?
I must say Lost Odyssey and the Final Fantasy games(I may not like them, but they do have good turn based combat)
I really haven't played another game that has more enjoyable turn based as them

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Oh, about the actual topic. I would say FFX has the best fight system (sorry, I'm kinda limited when it comes to experience with turn-based games). Eventually, the game evolves from "hit the attack button till it dies" or "use X-strike weapon or X spell on enemy for extra damage" to basing it around how each character can inflict maximum damage on their turns (this is for people who don't have time to spam Quick Hit because they made every hit 99999) Strong attack but give the enemy another move if it doesn't die vs. markedly weaker move but everyone else may clean up (but something more complicated than that). I never did figure out Rikku's super potent mixes, or didn't have the rare items to keep using them if I did know. KOTOR was good too (it's technically turn based, right?) It could look really cinematic if the graphics were better and the animations deeper, with priority on animation. Lightsaber styles translate to different on-screen actions that show why that style is good at what it's for.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
KOTOR and the Bioware games don't really have "Turns" but they use a Psuedo-Real Time system that allows you to pause in place of turns.

They also carry over the aspect of Turn Based Combat that makes me annoyed at some real time games. You have complete control over several characters, you can pause, issue them all commands, then let the battle go, then do it again etc.

Deadlydorito

Dec 1, 2008
Final Fantasy 10.

My favourite Turnbased final fantasy, second favourite overall after ff9. Oh i almost forgot i like Chrono Chross, awsome.

I like active time battles like Chrono Trigger, and even enjoyed FF12 although it felt rather like a chrono trigger fight with too much going on and the camera not providing full view. Excellent game though, top of the line!!!

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
See I loved 9. It has to be my fav with 6 a close second mostly because of nostalgia. I didn't like 5 too much because the flow of it didn't seem right to me. 10 was okay and i couldn't bring myself to finish 8. 8 is the only one that really felt cheesy anime jrpg to me. Maybe thats why some people like it, i dunno. at the time the graphics were top notch and it prolly has one of the BEST BEST BEST intro videos of all time (i remember watching it and being so jazzed up to play the game). I dunno I just really liked 9.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
zeldakong64 said:
Catkid906 said:
I don't mind turn based combat, it's fine. Apparently FFXIII (Yeah, you know, that 2010 game) will have point based combat, which is an evolution of turn based combat.
do you know HOW it's evolved or what is different?
Okay here is what i've heard. You have a set number of points each turn, and you can spend them on attacks. For example: Fire 1 point, Fira 2 points, Firaga 3 points.
Note this is only what i've heard. I have no Idea, how many points you can spend each turn. For all I know, it's a new mana system.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
FFX was really good, in that you could plan out your attacks.

Advance Wars, however, takes the crown. That game series is superb.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
Turn-based Gamers: "We'll get you back"

FFT on the PS would win my gold star.
Silver Star for Worms.
Amiable Gold-like but mostly bronze star for PnP Initiative Modified Dice Roll.

...Anyone for MegaMek [http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main]?

henrebotha

Jan 29, 2009
I still think the Active Time Battle system is an awesome way of making turn-based look and feel more "real".

I'm also a big Civilization fan but the combat really is so simple that it doesn't need analysis or anything like that.

EDIT: Oh, and Worms! Worms is rad.