The Underappreciated Gems of Gaming

army-88

Sep 4, 2008
Alright, so I'm sure there are plenty of games out there that pretty much nobody ever played but you, but did you ever love them. What are some of the most underappreciated games you've played?

I'm going to say Silicon Valley for the N64. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to ever love that game but it is completely amazing.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
"Otogi Myth of Demons."

... said Vrex very much aware that he had mentioned this enough times now to make eyes bleed, but to hell with it he thought. It got few sales and I loved it and I praise that which is good. Quietly Vrex wondered if he would be enough of a smart arse to say 'search button the game that's really good but often ignored'. But out of respect Vrex stayed silent.
"Never be harsh to other." He reminded himself.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
1. Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
2. Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
3. God Hand
4. Ghost in the Shell (PS2)
5. Gotcha Force
6. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
7. Dragon Ball: Advance Adventure
8. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
9. Urban Reign
10. Transformers (PS2 version by Melbourne House)

That's probably my top ten. Shadow of the Colossus isn't going on here because everyone either loves or hates it. God Hand, however, IS on the list because I'm not going to stop promoting it until every person on the planet plays it. It really is that awesome.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The Bloodlines: Masquerade - underrated because at launch it had a hell of alot of bugs! Community patches seem to have fixed nearly everything now.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Dreamfall was extremely under appreciated. It's an excellent game with one of the best script and characters in games.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anyone want to bet on how long it takes Psychonauts to be mentioned?
You sly dog, you just mentioned it! Any bets we placed would be moot!

Anyway, I nominate Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus, maybe the other two are good too but I never did have an xbox so I wouldn't know.

But those two games blew my miiiiiind. Unique story, challenging (and at times frustrating) gameplay, and controllable farts. What more could you want in a game?

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Vrex360 said:
"Otogi Myth of Demons."

... said Vrex very much aware that he had mentioned this enough times now to make eyes bleed, but to hell with it he thought. It got few sales and I loved it and I praise that which is good. Quietly Vrex wondered if he would be enough of a smart arse to say 'search button the game that's really good but often ignored'. But out of respect Vrex stayed silent.
"Never be harsh to other." He reminded himself.
I was about to say that (otogi), that game was a gem which stuck with me from the moment i accidentally played the demo. Too bad the sequel felt too broken to be as good as the original, even though they added more stuff (not the characters, that deviated game play).

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Its such a great game yet underrated, shame the gaming community didn't pick up on it.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Despite its many flaws (and admitedly there are many) the remake of Alone in the Dark has some really good features, and if you'll forgive it its flaws, you'll find that it does some things really well. The interactive melee system is more fun than the normal "press x for attack a, y for attack b, or x and y for combo c, etc...", combining various items to try and make something new that will explode is fun, driving, despite its bugginess at times, is a blast, and the game has a spectacularly cinematic feel to it at parts, so that unlike other games which let the cutscenes show you the cool parts, in Alone in the Dark you are actually playing the stuff that looks really cool.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
ThisNewGuy said:
Dreamfall was extremely under appreciated. It's an excellent game with one of the best script and characters in games.

This. Found it by chance and haven't regretted it.

For me it would be

Shadow of Memories A very unusual game and a true one off.

Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars: Definitely a grower. I don't if it's hard because it's supposed to be or just bad programming. Still good though.

I'll think of more I'm sure.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Heroes of Might and magic 3-5. best turn-based strategy game of all time.

Titan Quest. Best RPG of all time (single player most of the time, but it has online play and a map editor).

Dawn of War: Soulstorm. Best of the DOW series, but it was not very well known and DOW2 has ruined the entire franchise.

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
Amarok said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

Anyway, I nominate Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus, maybe the other two are good too but I never did have an xbox so I wouldn't know.

But those two games blew my miiiiiind. Unique story, challenging (and at times frustrating) gameplay, and controllable farts. What more could you want in a game?
Definitley Abe's Oddysey, that game was fantastic, very underappreciated. I particularly liked the humour.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Amarok said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
In the capacity of noting hopw everyone else seems to keep dragging it up, not in it actually being an Underappreciated Gem. So bets are still on, until someone says they feel it is the latter.
In that case, I'm betting bottom of the first page

BenMcMichael

Feb 6, 2009
Crowser said:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Its such a great game yet underrated, shame the gaming community didn't pick up on it.
Is this trolling? cos god damn I'm angry now. I think you should leave "Crowser"

BenMcMichael

Feb 6, 2009
Christemo said:
Heroes of Might and magic 3-5. best turn-based strategy game of all time.

Titan Quest. Best RPG of all time (single player most of the time, but it has online play and a map editor).

Dawn of War: Soulstorm. Best of the DOW series, but it was not very well known and DOW2 has ruined the entire franchise.
I only played Heroes of might and magic 3, and loved it. Which would you say is the best out of the 3 listed?