The Underappreciated Gems of Gaming

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
We've had this thread so many times before, and remember people...

If a game is on this list, it is NO LONGER underrated! This thread is self-deprecating!!!

(Btw, everyone KNOWS ground control 1 is the most underrated game of all time, with fallout tactics a close second... actually, they don't, but i suppose that's the point...)

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
UtopiaV1 said:
We've had this thread so many times before, and remember people...

If a game is on this list, it is NO LONGER underrated! This thread is self-deprecating!!!

(Btw, everyone KNOWS ground control 1 is the most underrated game of all time, with fallout tactics a close second... actually, they don't, but i suppose that's the point...)
Don't be a tool.
Just 'cus a game gets mentioned doesn't elevate it to being appreciated. I value these threads. The more games I find through others recommendations, the more enjoyment I get from gaming.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Peach_hat said:
GodsOneMistake said:
Beyond good and evil
This. Considering we never got it in Australia.
Dude... did you ever try LOOKING for it? It wasn't hard to find. Even now you have a fair chance of finding a copy of the PS2 version on a second hand shelf.

In case you don't get what I'm saying, we DID get it in Australia.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
Amarok said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anyone want to bet on how long it takes Psychonauts to be mentioned?
You sly dog, you just mentioned it! Any bets we placed would be moot!

Anyway, I nominate Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus, maybe the other two are good too but I never did have an xbox so I wouldn't know.

But those two games blew my miiiiiind. Unique story, challenging (and at times frustrating) gameplay, and controllable farts. What more could you want in a game?
Damn you. I came into this thread to say Oddworld. Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus were the best. Munch's Oddysee was good, but the controls were kind of awkward. Stranger's Wrath was great. Though the giant talking chickens kind of killed the feel of Oddworld. And Stranger's Wrath wasn't on Mudos like the first three were.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Crowser said:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Its such a great game yet underrated, shame the gaming community didn't pick up on it.
Um. The gaming community DID pick up on it, and its one of the best Zelda games ever made. It most certainly is not underrated :p

Unless you were being sarcastic.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
GUN. It truly a great Wild West experience.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.112047
It was good, don't get me wrong, but I didn't particularly like the ending, and there should have been a few more side quests in my opinion.

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
1. Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
2. Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
3. God Hand
4. Ghost in the Shell (PS2)
5. Gotcha Force
6. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
7. Dragon Ball: Advance Adventure
8. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
9. Urban Reign
10. Transformers (PS2 version by Melbourne House)

That's probably my top ten. Shadow of the Colossus isn't going on here because everyone either loves or hates it. God Hand, however, IS on the list because I'm not going to stop promoting it until every person on the planet plays it. It really is that awesome.
YES!!! Genji, unreal 2 and god hand are great!! I never played strangers wrath, but I loved the series earlier games. I'd add Legend of Legaia to the list, but it was certainly an acquired taste.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
needausername said:
Godofgame67 said:

It was good, don't get me wrong, but I didn't particularly like the ending, and there should have been a few more side quests in my opinion.
In the end Colton gets revenge and his fathers death is avenged. What more could you want? I covered the side quests and other problems in my review.

haxxorzd00d

Apr 15, 2009
Alundra, on the PSX. Seriously great game. (Unlike Alundra 2, which was a sequel about as much as Halo was a sequel to Super Mario World.)

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
needausername said:
Godofgame67 said:

In the end Colton gets revenge and his fathers death is avenged. What more could you want? I covered the side quests and other problems in my review.
Yeah, but a lost city of gold, it just feels a bit out of place...

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Goomboss said:
golden eye 64
How is that game underappreciated?

I hope nobody says one of these games: Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico or Beyond Good and Evil.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
haxxorzd00d said:
Alundra, on the PSX. Seriously great game. (Unlike Alundra 2, which was a sequel about as much as Halo was a sequel to Super Mario World.)
Alundra was an awesome game. I'd love to see that released on PSN. Really hard game though.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
Vlane said:
Goomboss said:
golden eye 64
How is that game underappreciated?

I hope nobody says one of these games: Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico or Beyond Good and Evil.
The only ones that weren't mentioned were Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

I'll have to go with Stubbs the Zombie in "Rebel without a Pulse".

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Doug said:
The Bloodlines: Masquerade - underrated because at launch it had a hell of alot of bugs! Community patches seem to have fixed nearly everything now.
bought it on steam a year ago i think :D its so fun to play :)

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
The darkness and Saints row 2 (many more people say GTA is better but i disagree)
Oh and lost planet! Cant wait for number 2!