The unoffical Beer thread

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Hey guys, I work in a nice restaurant with very nice beers, some of which cost about 12 a glass while others cost more. It seems to be that interest in beer, the brewing and drinking of, is coming of age in America. While it pains me that bud, miller, and Coors make up 95% of the beer consumed here, it's getting better.

So anyone have any favorite brands no many others know about? I am going with Corsendonk Pale Ale, an Abby ale made by Monks. Anyone a fan of the good stuff?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Couldn't this be the unofficial (check your spelling) alcohol thread? Then I could actually contribute.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
Being a poor college student, the higest quality beer I drink is Red Stripe or Heinneken when I can afford it. I also like Carlsberg Elephant. ANd that's about as expensive as I can get right now.

gamebrain89

May 29, 2008
Vek said:
Being a poor college student, the higest quality beer I drink is Red Stripe or Heinneken when I can afford it. I also like Carlsberg Elephant. ANd that's about as expensive as I can get right now.
I thought the offical beer of poor college students was Pabst Blue Ribbon? :p I have yet to develop a taste for beer, but when I do I doubt Coors or Budwiser will be my first choice.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
Innis and Gunn. And I'm apparently high brow because I genuinely enjoy Guinness.

Beer in general is always good. Budweiser can be my best friend and my worst enemy.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
gamebrain89 said:
I thought the offical beer of poor college students was Pabst Blue Ribbon? :p I have yet to develop a taste for beer, but when I do I doubt Coors or Budwiser will be my first choice.
I live in Wisconsin, home of Miller, PAbst, Blatz, and god knows how many others. I can buy a 30-can case of PAbst for $10.50. At the friggen Wal-Mart. No. No no no. My beer never costs less than $12 for a 6-pack of longnecks.

Fuuten

Sep 5, 2008
Vek said:
You haven't sunk low enough to buy Natural Ice, so you're aces in my book.

As far as I'm concerned Guiness does the trick, but if you're looking for American made beers of interest, look up Anchor Steam Beer. Kinda interesting stuff they make in California.

gamebrain89

May 29, 2008
Vek said:
gamebrain89 said:
I live in Wisconsin, home of Miller, PAbst, Blatz, and god knows how many others. I can buy a 30-can case of PAbst for $10.50. At the friggen Wal-Mart. No. No no no. My beer never costs less than $12 for a 6-pack of longnecks.
I undertstand the feeling, Pabst is for people who just want to get drunk, not for people who actually want to taste it. Fat Tire isn't too bad, I have had that, you should try it.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
I Drink miller by the gallon :D just hook it straight to my veins there's to much blood in my alcohol anyway.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
gamebrain89 said:
I undertstand the feeling, Pabst is for people who just want to get drunk, not for people who actually want to taste it. Fat Tire isn't too bad, I have had that, you should try it.
I'll have to look for it. Danke sehr.

OurGloriousLeader

May 14, 2008
I love beer! Nice beer. Chimay Grand Reserve, a tasty Trappist ale from Belgium, is ace, although all Chimay varieties are tasty. I'm currently enjoying a Zywiec, a nice polish lager. Paulaner or Erdinger are tasty german Weissbiers. Lia Fail is my favourite Scottish ale methinks. For a refreshing lager, try Kasteel Cru, made with Champagne Yeast and all the flavours thereof. I recently discovered Asahi, a dry and tasty Japanese lager. I used to really love Hoegaarden but have gone off it recently.

But the winner, and I'm not sure how widespread this beer is as it may be quite a regional one, is Innus and Gunn. It's matured for 3 months or so in Whisky casks and tastes like Toffee mixed with sex. Mm, yes.

I like beer, it is tasty.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
There's this brewery in Burlington, Vermont called Magic Hat that makes a good number of tasty beers. My favorites are Hocus Pocus, a summer wheat, and Circus Boy, a hefeweizen.

In a town here in Maine they brew Shipyard Ale, which is quite good as well. And they make a great pumpkin flavor in the fall. Always my drink of choice on Halloween :D

Sam Adams is the best "macrobrew", in my opinion. They make some pretty good flavors, and it's usually available at any bar or restaurant you may find yourself in (at least here in the north-eastern US).

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
PatientGrasshopper said:
Arrogant Bastard Ale.
Sam Adams
Ooh. Arrogant Bastard. I once had an awesome experience with that beer on a train. Delicious.

As for cheap beer, I tend to prefer Budweiser. A friend of mine grows barley for them.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
InsanityBaronOfAtrocity said:
Bud. Seriously, What's wrong with Bud?
Bud is actually the only beer I drink, but because I am English (and we love our beer and ales) my friends and anyone I talk about it with say it's piss water.

I'm not a beer person to be honest, but I heard bishop's finger and IPA (Indian Pale Ale) are good beverages, my friend raves on about ales and he loves IPA.

As for me, break out the strongbow or Magners and we're laughing.