The Uselesness of Flamethrowers

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Robert632 said:
I think part of it was fear tactics. Think about it. There are already bullets flying everywhere and artillery going off, but now some guy is running about lighting people on fire.That just scares the shit out of me.
Bahaha, this is so true.

What is this untimely man doing dispensing flame properties in my general direction!

TO THE TRENCHES....oh crap we're dead.

XD

nick_knack

Jul 16, 2008
PossiblyInsane said:
What exactly is the point of flamethrowers? A machine gun will kill ordinary people much faster for less weight, and its not much good against zombies because the avereage human body will burn for at least an hour.
Do you know anything, about anything?

Seemingly no. Shut up.

Here is a hint: The vast majority of games depicting real life weapons only just cling to any semblance of realism. Real life is not games. Do some research before asking stupid questions.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
PossiblyInsane said:
What exactly is the point of flamethrowers? A machine gun will kill ordinary people much faster for less weight, and its not much good against zombies because the avereage human body will burn for at least an hour.
They were originally invented as a means to clear out trenches and other enclosed spaces. They were used to great effect during WWII as a counter to the numerous tunnel networks the Japanese built. It's basically the single most efficient way to clear a room of enemy combatants.

The only downsides to flamethrowers, really, are that they are heavy and whoever's wearing it may as well paint a bullseye on their forehead.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Dr.susse said:
I've always had a funny mental picture of a flame thrower going array in a strong wind.

Back-burn
You just reminded me of this [http://cectic.com/166.html].

OT: Morale, bro, morale.

insaneHoshi

Mar 26, 2010
dathwampeer said:
firedfns13 said:
DeathsHands said:
They were used for clearing fortifications and to deal with armour. Although more modern munitions kinda put a stop to 'em.
How'd they stop tanks?
Wouldn't a tank just roll straight through the flames and run the guy over?
He didn't say tanks. He said fortifications and armour. Not sure what he meant by armour but I doubt it was tanks.
Some one said tanks, and if you get the engine compartment on fire tanks tend not to do so well, Why do you think moltovs are good against them?

Notere

Sep 11, 2008
It's all been said up here, but lemme just emphasize something said previously. Up to 80 meters in range. That's just shy of an entire football field worth of FIRE. If anyone actually gave them respectable range in a video game, they'd be the only thing you'd want to use when going into an alley or fighting a swarm of anything.

That and it's not gas that's being fired. It's gas forcing liquid out and over a fire. Thusly, it's not quite napalm, but it's not going to be very effected by immediate wind and no one's arguing with results like that.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
They're basically like a shot-gun, what with the close range and the messy way they kill.
And have you ever used the one in COD 5?
That was probably over-powered.

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
Oh yes, flamethrowers are uzeless.

And so are wernches, and wooden shields and jars of piss...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Slemmy said:
"flamethrower" roughly translates as "best way of shoveling snow ever"
Not really, actually.
The best way is to spray boiling hot steam at really high pressure.
It gets rid of snow like fucking magic.
Fire would likely yield similar results, but with more poison.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Kill it with fire!!!

Also, you can deflect incoming arrows and rockets... Uhhm, wait what?!

Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath

Feb 20, 2010
Flamethrowers are effective at : Spychecking, Airblasting Ubers, and a whole lot of other stuff...

saying Flamethrowers are Useless are like saying Jars of Piss are useless....