The video game that got you into gaming

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
hmm...what first started my interest in games was this arcade in a pizza place my mom would take me too when I was wee little thing. This was about the mid 90's, so I must've been 5-7 I guess, and I would play those silly Frog Race games where you had to bash buttons faster than your adversary, or something that I think was Street Fighter :p. But then I went off games until Baldur's Gate 2. Been hooked ever since ^^

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
First game I remember playing was Pokemon Colloseum on a borrowed N64. But the first game that got me into gaming would probably be a Spyro game on the PS1. I can't remember the exact name but I was in hospital for something I can't remember and they had a PS1 and a few games to keep kids occupied.

I can't actually remember the name of it, but I remember one level where you're in a skatepark, trying to hit balloons on a skateboard.

Ah, nostalgia!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Hmmm...
Probably Mario Kart 64, first game I ever played at a Costco with my dad. We were on Royal Raceway, and were stuck in the corners of the grating just off of the big ramp that leads to Peach's castle. I remember backing out and trying to drive back up and over the ramp, but for some reason I kept falling off the ramp. I guess I was just that bad at the game's controls, lol.

First game to really get me into gaming though, would probably be Super Mario 64, my first 100% game, and the first game to really give me a sense of accomplishment for all my hard work.
Other notable series' would be: Pokemon for getting me into handhelds, all Blizzard games for getting me into computer games, Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars for making me obsessed with strategy games, and the Metroid Prime series for being the only series that I have 100% on every single difficulty, for each game.

Edit:
zigzigzigbah said:
Operation Neptune for Windows 95
First game I ever played and we lived in a rural area so it was my only game for a long time and i craved for more. The game had you control a submarine and had a bit of maths thrown in, but with context.
LOL! I REMEMBER THAT GAME!
Omg, that was a massive hit of nostalgia I was just hit with xD

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
I never played many video games until I was older. When I was young it would have had to be Ocarina of time or banjo tooie. But the game that turned me into an avid gamer would hands down be Tales of symphionia.Can't believe that was like 8 years ago. I never even knew there were games with stories or play style like "Tales of". I now spend a couple hours a week looking up games like Tales.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
Age of Empires 2 and Half-Life were the first games I remember playing and enjoying.

But it was Neverwinter Nights and Battlefield 1942 (DC Combat/final) that really got me into gaming, especially multiplayer.

I always remember playing Neverwinter online, after a few years many people started to leave the game claiming that this new game 'World Of Warcraft' was amazing. I hated the game without knowing what it was... little did I know...

First game I was truly addicted to? Neverwinter Nights, without a doubt. I think I played the singleplayer a total of 15 times before I was introduced to the online game... which then ruined my life for the next 3 years

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Would have to be Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum, that game was brilliant - it had so much going on, when other games were much more straightforward. I defy any hardcore gamer to get through it without cheating. That and Skool Daze cemented my love of games.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010

Electro Man!
A simple DOS game that had some teleporter puzzles and side scroll jump/shoot elements.
Of course, our old monitor couldn't handle colour so I had to play it in black and white.

Good times.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Stilkon said:
Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom on the PS2.

Hey, I was ten.
That game was awesome.

For me it was Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone on the PC.

Or maybe Ratchet and Clank on the PS2.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
The game that really got me into video games was Pokemon Diamond. It sounds a bit weird but I had other games on my DS before then like Nintendogs and Harry Potter, maybe Super Mario 64 DS but I was never too psyched about any of them. Apart from the possibility of Mario, Diamond was the first game in Nintendo's main franchises that I owned. I might have had a Game Boy with Pokemon Red or Blue when I was younger but I didn't car about gaming in the slightest back then and I only played on it about once so it doesn't really count.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Whichever came 1st between Pokemon R/B/Y and Spyro/Robocop on PS1 were the 1st games I played.
Then I started properly with Jedi Outcast 2

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
So, the first two games I had were powerboats racing & pandemonium for the PSX, while god games neither one sparked my interest too much, then we got Spyro 3 Year Of The Dragon which is still one of my favorite games to this day

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
That got me started? Oh man.. that was... almost 30 years ago... with the Atari 2600... I remember COMBAT... Defender... Qbert... Boxing... Kangeroo... Bugertime... so many others...

Then, my addition went into overdrive when I played the NES classic Dragon Warrior... (my first RPG.)

Then I got my first PC... and discovered Xcom... At which point, I was a full on Junkie...(first real PC gaming expearince that wasn't solitar..)

Street Fighter 2 for the arcade happened at some point around this time, and I started hanging out as Arcades. LOL (Pacman may have been my first Arcade game, but Street Figher was the game that made me want to GO to an arcade. LOL)

Then came Tribes...(first MMO)

Then Asherons Call... (First MMORPG that sucked my life away and cause my first family intervention... >,< I kid, i kid...)

I've been around and gaming, maybe not from the VERY start, but I was pretty close... And now i feel old... and nalstagic....

Operative1980

Oct 1, 2010
It was a game called Spellbound on the Spectrum. A simple puzzle/RPG game lots of fun and it only got better with the 2 that came after :)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Rock Star Ate My Hampster
(C64) on two... two tapes, you put together your band from rip off's of famous artists (Tina Turnoff and Michael George are two I can remember) and sent them off to do gigs. You had to keep them sweet by buying them, new instruments, new clothes, beer and eventually you'd move up from playing shitty clubs to theatres and finally arenas.

I was eight, I thought it was the greatest thing ever!

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
I played some Doom and Worms on playstation, but what really made me crazy for games was Legend of Zelda the Ocarina of Time

Vanalosswen

Feb 5, 2011
My brother got a Gameboy Color shortly after they first came out. With it, he bought Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Time. I think we played through that game six or seven times apiece; I never got some of the puzzles, and had to keep passing them off to him, but that game defined the idea of a storytelling game.

Fast-forward through years of playing Sims and educational games, to when I moved out of my parents' home. My first roommate had Persona 3 on the Playstation, and he let me play it while he played obscurely complicated games on his PC. When I made the step of buying my own game system, I made sure to get a First-Gen PS3 so I could play the Persona games.

Dragon Age: Origins was the first game I completed entirely by myself, and it's helped me step further into gaming. I still consider myself a "casual" gamer, since my current roommate is a true gamer, and he's always on his system--I don't devote enough time to gaming to be a serious gamer. But I'm on my second playthrough of Dragon Age 2, trying to get all the trophies. I think I'm well on my way to becoming a serious gamer, as long as the world keeps providing me with well-written RPG games.