The walking dead is boring

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
I read the graphic novel till volume 65 or so, after that I stopped reading it because nothing new happened. I watch the TV series to spot the similarities between the graphic novel and the tv series, and that is the pasrt I enjoy most. I watched the first episode of season 2 today, and I must say that I found it very thrilling at the point the herd passed by.

I thought that the 'drama' dialogues in the graphic novel were great, whereas in the TV series they sometimes seem a bit corny and forced. The same with the action scenes; Carl being shot in the 8th episode? I haven't even bonded with the brat yet!

For me, the Graphic novel kinda ran out of 'flow', so I stopped reading it. Now I'm waiting to see how long the TV series last

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
CODE-D said:
Anybody else think so, and yet so many people say its so awesome. Theres even a show called talking dead about it right after it goes off. It had an okay first season but im already tired of it and zombies as a whole.
I fully agree with you 100%. In fact, I even made a Thread about how I felt as soon as I got done watching the first episode of Season 2. Was boring, many flaws (like how the zombies didn't smell them spite that cars don't hide your scent), unrealistic drama (with them letting a kid tag along in the woods with zombies all over), and so forth. Just really brushed me the wrong way.
The zombies operated off of sound, not smell. The olfactory senses must have deteriorated long ago. Their hearing, however...not so much. And, even if they could smell them, the oil, rubber and metal would have put them off. Cars stink.

As for letting a kid tag along in the woods. In all fairness, there were zombies everywhere. The kid was about as safe tagging along as he was back at base.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
no, Im happy for a zombie show with high production values, and would rather focus on the problems people have to face in the apocolypse rather than shove a buch of zombies every other minuet

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm sorry, but I really don't see the point of this thread. Were you expecting a massive outcry of "Yeah! Fuck AMC! Zombieland + House of the Dead: Overkill FTW! WOOOO!" or something?

As someone else said, different strokes for different folks. Decent zombie-themed settings aren't about getting a kickass modded ride and running Stenches over with Punk Rock blasting out your speakers. They're about the human element; about how screwy we can get when something starts screwing with us or downright destroys everything we take for granted.

And, Poleboy, I'm afraid the sad truth is that people don't turn on a dime or generate wholly new conflicts for themselves all the time. Personalities don't shift without warning, which means that the issues that bother you now are still going to bother you in two, three, or ten years from now. You are who you are, and The Walking Dead tries to present us with individuals, not characters.

Think of it this way. There's a reason the characters in Zombieland don't have names proper. They're Columbus, Tallahassee, Little Rock. They're not meant to be viewed as persons, but rather as archetypes. Frank Grimes isn't just the Guy Who Used to Be a Sheriff. He has a lot more than that riding on his shoulders.

I'm not saying one is better than the other; I'm trying to say that unilaterally considering TWD to be boring is failing to give it a chance.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
It just seems like another drama trying to force "realism" to make the show more appealing to people who like that kind of thing. Not that show is realistic at all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Caramel Frappe said:
I fully agree with you 100%. In fact, I even made a Thread about how I felt as soon as I got done watching the first episode of Season 2. Was boring, many flaws (like how the zombies didn't smell them spite that cars don't hide your scent), unrealistic drama (with them letting a kid tag along in the woods with zombies all over), and so forth. Just really brushed me the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the show sucks. However I am saying they can make it way better. When you've got a load of fans watching your series having high expectations, you should make the results better. That's just my opinion though. Sure this is about zombies, and they're trying to focus on the drama but it's pointless drama with no real reason to dwell on when you're in a serious situation. That's just odd to me...
Ok I must asked, have you try watching season 1 yet? I felt that was one of the reason why you didn't get it (not fully grasp the situation they are in). You probably already know that it's base on the comicbook of the same name although I have been told it had been alter but so far it following the comicbook route at the moment. The main thing about this series is that it's the people they have the problem to deal with the most, not the zombies. So this add the drama to it.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
CODE-D said:
Anybody else think so, and yet so many people say its so awesome. Theres even a show called talking dead about it right after it goes off. It had an okay first season but im already tired of it and zombies as a whole.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but you are most certainly entitled to that opinion. I disagree with you, but it could definitely be a factor that I read the comic book, and have since day one. I can tell you this... there is some seriously, seriously messed up stuff coming this way.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
I think the comic is much better but the show is interesting if abit lacking in a larger plot device to move the story, not a bad show but not amazing.

Aug 28, 2010
"The Walking Dead is attempting to make the reality of a zombie apocalypse more like what would ACTUALLY happen. People who would run around and gun everything in sight would very quickly find themselves lacking an unchewed face. Just because you can't appreciate that, or that you're tired of zombies as a whole, doesn't reflect on the show. It reflects upon you and your preferences. Also, the show that comes before or after another show is also not a reflection on that show."

Nuff said.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I was a huge fan of the comics, and I love the show.

Seriously, can you think of one other properly done zombie drama show? Didn't think so.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
CODE-D said:
Its trying to mix zombies and a more mature style of storytelling, with some proper pacing thrown in. If you don't like that then that's fine, nobody is going to force you to watch it. Zombies are a tired resource to be sure, this is the first legitimate zombie story I found interesting on more then a RAR KILL basis.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I love how everyone will jump on call of duty because it lacks story and has no juxtaposition but when they talk about tv shows they jump on a series because it's "too slow".

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
legend forge said:
CODE-D said:
Its trying to mix zombies and a more mature style of storytelling, with some proper pacing thrown in. If you don't like that then that's fine, nobody is going to force you to watch it. Zombies are a tired resource to be sure, this is the first legitimate zombie story I found interesting on more then a RAR KILL basis.
No shaun of the dead, no 28 days later, no zombieland? They didnt focus on RAR KILL

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
CODE-D said:
serenityzero said:
The Walking Dead is attempting to make the reality of a zombie apocalypse more like what would ACTUALLY happen. People who would run around and gun everything in sight would very quickly find themselves lacking an unchewed face. Just because you can't appreciate that, or that you're tired of zombies as a whole, doesn't reflect on the show. It reflects upon you and your preferences. Also, the show that comes before or after another show is also not a reflection on that show. Idiot.
If it was realistic itd be like this.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

but somehow zombies that dont eat each other are plentiful even though they should be barely movable shells of of rotting humans.
They also seem to have good motor control.

I would prefer a show based on zombieland where people are making the best of it in a fun way and the characters werent so sad that I wished theyd get eaten already.
If you're honestly bringing up the fact that zombies aren't realistic in giving reasons why you don't like a realistic zombie story, then the zombie genre ain't for you. If you prefer the crazy survival scenario, then take your pick, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE. The zombie popculture is FILLED with parody, so it's not really hard to see why it's refreshing to see a good, well-written realistic take on the zombie apocalypse.

Also, to counter your secondary points:

This.

mikepyro

Sep 17, 2010
I gotta agree. The first episode was phenomenal. And the second very strong (they did have frank fucking darabont directing, then they fired him and cut the budget for season two, for some stupid reason)

Its not just slow, it's NOT WELL WRITTEN. There's a difference between slow methodical pacing and intensity ala Deadwood or The Wire and boring, bland characters doing boring bland things and spouting boring, bland writing.

I still watch because I know it has the POTENTIAL to be great, but every fucking episode is a letdown. I will admit the s2 premiere was a massive leap in quality over episode 3-6 of s1, but the second episode of s2 went right back to the crap, with poor acting, rediculously soap opera styled drama (did we need 35 minutes of crying over a kid with zero personality?)

They expect us to get involved with these character's drama yet every character is an idiot. All the women are whiny pathetic bitches who blame other people for their problems, and half the men are too stupid to lead.

They try and make it a realistic survival show yet they don't even bother to loot cars until the second season? They have a truck full of water cans yet they only take one bottle? They walk up to the disease control building surrounded by hundreds of dead soldiers with machine guns only to leave them all and keep their shitty six shooters?

No. The Walking Dead is not great tv. Anyone who says so is lost because of its themes or doesn't know good tv. This is the channel responsible for Breaking Bad and Mad Men. WD doesn't belong on amc with its cable level gore and broadcast level writing.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Thyunda said:
The zombies operated off of sound, not smell. The olfactory senses must have deteriorated long ago. Their hearing, however...not so much. And, even if they could smell them, the oil, rubber and metal would have put them off. Cars stink.

As for letting a kid tag along in the woods. In all fairness, there were zombies everywhere. The kid was about as safe tagging along as he was back at base.
I'd believe you except that there was the scene with the guy's arm bleeding so the zombies picked up the smell pretty quickly. It's odd how they smelled his blood over everything else with all those cars there. Plus, the guy's arm was bleeding at a ridiculous level yet they couldn't find him under a corpse (hiding under it)? Just sort of 'ify' to me. They should of planned that scene out better but that's just me.

Yeah, zombies everywhere and I agree that being with two trained gunners was pretty well but then what's really irritating is that they allow the boy to walk very close up to a deer. I don't understand the point in that. The guys are smiling with the boy going up to a deer spite they're on a rescue mission to save the little girl... and letting the boy wonder that far could have anything happen which something did happen.

The boy gets shot through the deer.

So the common sense in this show sort of flies out the window. Not saying I don't believe you, but with the mom crying under the car along with everything else going on... it's just all based on 'it just happens' sequences. Still not saying the show sucks believe me, but it doesn't make sense to me at times.
Alright, I concede one point. The spoiler is a bit silly.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
El Zorro:
The premise of Walking Dead never appealed to me. It seemed like yet another Dawn of the Dead- styled show and from what i've seen on Youtube, it looks just like that. Maybe its just me, but the zombie genre seems too overdone with weak plotlines and downright bad and uninteresting protagonists. 28 Days Later did it right in my book, but no one else has come close to that benchmark.

macrobstar:
"Sorry but dawn of the dead is a horror movie about consumerism, The walking dead is a drama about characterisation and survival
So how are they alike?"

They all have reoccuring plots and themes: find family, hold out someplace temporarily, forage for supplies, journey to a far-off sanctuary, ad-nausem. Granted, i've only seen the first episode of walking dead plus commercials, but from what i've seen, it sounds pretty similar to the generic zombie flick with the depth and personality (in the characters) that comes with being a tv series. I'll take a deeper look at the series though, maybe i'll like it...

(Sorry about the crappy format)

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Haven't seen 28 days, and to me the other 2 aren't really about the zombies as much. For one they are comedies and not horror, meaning they use a different pacing and character arc. For another the character interactions are the meat of the story. Though they are some of the funniest movies I have seen.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
CODE-D said:
TheScientificIssole said:
Flame bait is flame bait. Jebus guys. He just wants some people to disagree, there's no discussion here.
Besides the fact we're discussing it. Stop playin troll hunter.
Look, putting a "MY OPINION IS DIFFERENT;GIVE ME VIEWS" thread is just a bad move. This thread should have been named "What's your opinion on The Walking Dead(TV)?" This is just bait that you used so somebody could get all riled up and contribute to your thread.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
legend forge said:
Haven't seen 28 days, and to me the other 2 aren't really about the zombies as much. For one they are comedies and not horror, meaning they use a different pacing and character arc. For another the character interactions are the meat of the story. Though they are some of the funniest movies I have seen.
As people have made quite clear walking dead isnt about the zombies either..."its about the characters and drama" however uninteresting at times they/that may be and this "amazing character driven story" that seems nonexistent, perhaps in the comics but I dont see it on tv.
And wait you havent seen 28 days later I mean walking deads opening is almost identical to the point of ripoff. guy, coma, wakes up in hospital...shits gone down, difference was the use of silence and a car alarm that made one of scariest zombie free scenes ever.