The Walking Dead Rises for a Second Season

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The Walking Dead Rises for a Second Season

AMC was infected by a zombie bite and now it can't get rid of The Walking Dead.

It officially took two episodes for AMC to realize that bringing back The Walking Dead for a second season would be a good idea. After the series premiere was massive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104980-AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Is-a-Massive-Zombie-Hit] for the network, and the second episode aired to a similar success this past Sunday, AMC has ordered another lineup of brand new episodes.

Fox International Channels also aired The Walking Dead in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East last week and it was the highest-rated original series premiere to air simultaneously on FIC worldwide. "No other cable series has ever attracted as many Adults 18-49 as The Walking Dead," AMC president Charlie Collier said. "This reaffirms viewers' hunger for [brains]." Okay, he actually said "for premium television on basic cable," but I think brains fits better in this case.

The second season of The Walking Dead will consist of 13 episodes, 7 more than the show's fairly short first season. "I wish all programming decisions were no brainers like this one," FIC's Sharon Tal Yguado said of the series' continuation. I'm not sure if they're trying to go for zombie references here, but I'd like to think so. She also said that FIC wants "at least 10 seasons." An air date for Walking Dead's second season wasn't announced.

The UK's Dead Set, which recently aired on the Independent Film Channel in the U.S., may have brought zombies to television first, but The Walking Dead feels like it's on a different level of production. If the storyline ends up being similar to the Robert Kirkman comic book [http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289352139&sr=1-1] of the same name, it should kick into high gear once the show establishes itself and its main characters. For as long as they're alive anyway, because there's really no such thing as a safe character in the world of The Walking Dead. Believe me, someone you like will probably die in season 2.

The Walking Dead airs Sundays on AMC at 10PM EST.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Cool I like it, really well done adaptation of the comic.

I am surprised it get away with only a TV14 rating but I'm not complaining.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
I thought the show was pretty solid, and I'm glad to see it come back for a second season.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm watching the series in Fox and I gotta say that I DO love this series. It's been a while since the last time I was this hooked by a TV series and I want more of it (brains).

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
You can't really go wrong with zombies, but...

Was anyone else rather unimpressed with it? It is cool and all, but thats a given when you add zombies. But I swear I have seen it all done before, and better.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Wow...only two episodes in and it already gets a second season...

Guess i'm going to be a very happy viewer for a long time

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
Great news. I've already said this is by far the greatest show on television to most bored enough to listen to me. Of course I say this from a heavy zombie fan bias. Zombies rule, or at least they will one day.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
FUCK YES! Great series.

Edit: I missed the one on Sunday, anybody know where I could find an online version?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
FUCK YES! Great series.

Edit: I missed the one on Sunday, anybody know where I could find an online version?
AMC's official site or fastpasstv.com

OT: This is show is beyond awesome. I still can't understand how they get away with saying "shit" and "ni---r" on Basic cable, can someone explain that to me?

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
Great news. Given the quality of the other stuff AMC airs, I had high expectations. The show has been meeting them admirably so far.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Ive been obsessed with this show since Halloween. Best 44 minutes of television all week. Glad to hear it might stick around for a while.