the whole "geek chick" thing....

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Vault101 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Agree with OP. Case in point: Jessica Chobot.
hmmmm not sure if Ive herd of her, so where is she from? like I assume on the internet
IGN lady. Famous for licking a PSP...no really.

Oh and this
I can't stand her. Even before I saw this video.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Vault101 said:
(not blowing my own horn at all..)

OT: It's the same as anyone doing anything for attention really: stupid people fall for it and think they person is awesome, intelligent people think they're fucking moronic.

It's easy to tell them apart anyway.

Circusfreak

Mar 12, 2009
lets find out the answer with SCIENCE!

lock subject in room with a SNES/etc, something else other than a SNES/etc and without any male lifeforms within 500 kilometers.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
Fanboy said:
There are worse ways to seek attention. At least posing as a geek means she is seeking attention from geeks. :D

As for the main difference between "poser" and "real deal", I think you already covered that. The latter is interested in the subject and the former is interested in the attention.

Yeah, this.

I don't really hate on "posers" unless they're intentionally making a bad name for what they're posing as, rather I consider them to be like a "light" version.

Even at their worst a "poser" will never be as useless and arrogant as an emo.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'm a woman and I've been a complete nerd/geek my entire life. And no, I do not advertise it. But if I'm in a conversation with someone and they so happen to bring up video games or anything related, then yes, I am going to boast about my geekiness. I'm not the attention seeking type either. But if we share the same interests, then yes, I shall talk about everything geeky and nerdy I know. For the good of the conversation!!!!!!

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Vault101 said:
Korolev said:
How do you know if they are faking it or are genuinely interested? You can't. No one can. But I imagine most women wouldn't pretend to like something like games to get attention. The majority of women who profess an interest in things like Sci-Fi, video games or old movies, genuinely have an interest in those things.

while I agree that you cant judge people based on apearnce and should not assume a girl is a poser because she is a girl...

I think youre taking it to an extreme, no one is "suspicious" of female geeks, but its seems people recognise a type of person who may or may not be genuinly interested but the main thign being flaunting it in an annoying way for attention (thats what I ment by cross over)

thats were the "patronizing" part comes in its like a girl is like "hey Nerds! I play games and Im a chick!, so you may stand before me with awe! cus I bet youve never even seen a female before LOL"

and yeah its not just females it goes both ways, generally I prefer to give people benifit of the doubt
No, I understand. There have been cases in which women have tried to shallowly dress up in a gamer T-shirt, because they want to see guys drool over them. I've met one or two people like that. It's not fun to be around such people since they automatically assume that you'll fall head-over-heels for them.

But patronizing attitudes is something that geeks like me have to put up with. After a while you learn to build up a pretty thick skin. I can't tell you how many advertisers have a condescending attitude towards male and female nerds and geeks. Case in point: Look at the female character design in every single MMO. Every time I see a female warrior MMO character clad in a bikini or a thong, I just know that some artist or game designer or business man out there thinks that it will appeal to me, since they think I'm a pimple-faced lonely man-child who sits in my mother's basement and who can't get a date.

And I admit, that's annoying. But I've learned to just deal with it. So what if some people (mainly advertisers and business folks) think nerds are a bunch of lonely, sweaty, man-children who will be utterly infatuated by the first cute girl who says "PWN!". They can think whatever they want about me.

But to answer your original question: no on can tell if a woman is faking an interest (unless she's a really bad actor or has been obviously paid). That's part of life. Ain't life annoying, huh? We go through life never being certain of anything. I really took Descartes to heart. We simple can't know. Hell, are you a man dreaming of a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming your a man? Since I can't answer that question with 100% certainty, I have never really held 100% confidence in anything (well, other than the fact that I am self-aware). But we've got to be practical and make judgements as best we can. I tend to trust women who profess an interest in geeky things until I see evidence otherwise, and I think you're the same. That's the sane thing to do.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
A girl trying to get attention from geeks? Sorry, I don't see the problem. If she wants a geek, and I want a girl (I don't at the time) then who cares if she isn't really a geek? Heck if she knows that the cake is a lie and where the reference actually comes from that's enough for me.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I'm a passionate gamer, roleplaying games enthusiast and Computer Scientist. The amount of times I've been told I'm only doing all that just to get attention...
Hey, if I was only doing it to get attention, I wouldn't have been doing all that for 15+ years.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
I'm confused.

Why would anyone WANT to be labeled a geek, let alone become a poser.

That's insane.

I mean, not bashing on anyone here, it's just that there's such a strong sense of disapproval associated with the term, I just find it hard to believe anyone who isn't an actual geek would try to get around being called one.

Of course there are posers in every group, I'm just saying that most who say they are a geek, probably are one unless they're off their rocker.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Cheery Lunatic said:
I'm confused.

Why would anyone WANT to be labeled a geek, let alone become a poser.

That's insane.

I mean, not bashing on anyone here, it's just that there's such a strong sense of disapproval associated with the term, I just find it hard to believe anyone who isn't an actual geek would try to get around being called one.

Of course there are posers in every group, I'm just saying that most who say they are a geek, probably are one unless they're off their rocker.
I dont think the "geek" thing is as unaccpeted as it used to be

plus you know if youre a geek theres no denying it, might as well wear the label with pride as part of your identity..kinda thing

anyway an outsiders veiw on geek culture is probably quite different to a geeks "insider" veiw on geek culture, so this issue I supose is more of an "internl" thing if that makes any sense

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Ah nerd girls...
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/101/1303865123801.jpg/]

I think the bottom line is that geeks and nerds of the female persuasion will invariably attract attention from their more male-minded counterparts. If you're the type of person who seeks attention as its own reward, then this is likely an attractive prospect. (dress up as princess Leia and have an entire convention centre lusting after you. It's like an exhibitionist's dream.)

The acid test for a potential poser is whether they know what they're talking about. The aforementioned Leia cosplayer would likely know a lot about Star Wars. If she doesn't, then there's your answer. If the conversation veers toward whether the prequel movies should be considered canon in the overall Star Wars Universe, you also have your answer :)

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
I don't think I've ever encounted someone who pretended to be a geek, nerd or a gamer to get attention, male or female.
But then, I don't know as many geeks, nerds or gamers as I wish I did. As a gamer/seminerd I'm withdrawn and fairly socially awkward. =(

Aura Guardian said:
IGN lady. Famous for licking a PSP...no really.

Oh and this
I can't stand her. Even before I saw this video.
Yeesh. Was it so hard for them to find a real female gamer?

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Vault101 said:
so my question to you is, what are the main differences between a "poser" and the "real deal"?
Since you said that you yourself are a geek chick, compare yourself to this

THAT is someone doing it for attention

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
I think I've only met one of these girl gamers in person in my life. And god she is hot, I would totally take her and... uh, wait, nevermind that, you heard nothing, uh uh.

I've never met one of these posers. That phenomenom belongs to the UK-America. Here in Spain being a geek is being a geek, it's not considered cool. Keep in mind our culture is like a 10 years old version of america, so eventually we'll catch up.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
As far as I can tell, real "geek chicks" are the ones that don't flaunt it. They're either the ones that pretend to be guys on forums or just leave others to assume as such. The fake ones, even though they may genuinely have a slight interest in geek culture, make the fact that they're girls offensively glaring, and don't seem to be that adept when dealing with conversations/discussions about a geeky subject.
That's just my opinion, though. I generally have a way of sniffing out "fake geeks" that I can't really put into words. It usually starts with comments like "I'm a girl and..." but that's the most obvious one :D

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
I think there are different levels of geekiness. It's not black and white, geek or not geek.

And as mentioned before there are also different types of geeks.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Hmm I really like games, I've been playing since I was 5 (1986) and I love comic books and certain tv shows. Not sure if I'm geek, I have two degree's in IT and History, I'm possibly a nerd I guess lol although I'm terrible at maths.

I'm possibly the most shy person on the planet so I don't do it for the attention that's for sure. If anything boyfriends always have an issue with how much I game. :S I mostly assume men are only messing with me if they act interested.

Admitting your a girl tends to be a bad idea in some places as you get labelled an attention whore and not taken seriously. Mostly I just tag myself as a girl on a profile then leave people to assume if they check then they will see. *shrug* Oh and before you kick off my name here is my baby neices name and I couldn't think of anything :/

Apr 5, 2008
I suppose the thing is that even if a girl is nerdy, she is still a girl and thus a target for men's affections. Perhaps even more so than other girls, the nerdy ones are likely more down to earth, more accessible, have more in common with geeky guys and still look like girls. In the nerd arena it's even more apparent as nerdy guys tend to be among the most shy, introverted and socially awkward with less contact with girls than other social groups. Further, any woman a man can relate to is immediately more attractive and special.

From a sociological point of view, it's not dissimilar to the whole "in a world of the blind, the one eyed man is king" or even perhaps the "if there was only one man left alive in a world full of women" phenomena. Just by being female and surrounded by such a much higher proportion of males, there is a status conferred automatically. The character of Penny, from "The Big Bang Theory" sitcom, while not aactually a nerd herself is a great example. Being pretty, female, socially well adjusted and down to earth meant she rules/ruled the roost of nerds on the show.

For me, the most attractive traits in a girl would be a tomboy with one or two things she's absolutely girly over, a hint of nerd with the willingness to forgive me my geekiness and a small creative streak of any sort...musical, literary, performance or arty. Girls like that don't tend to be vain or seek drama, can give as good as they get, have passion for what they do and are the best combination of partner and best friend. If only. :)

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
if a girl enjoys games, she's a girl gamer.

what I can't stand is people like the FragDollz- the kind of "YEAH, I'M A GRRL, SO WUT? I'LL STILL KICK UR ASS!!! SEE THIS TATTOO OF A 360 CONTROLLER? YEAH, MU-FUCKIN GRRL POWRR!!!" gamers... UGH...