The Witcher 2 Sexed Down for Australia

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Technically the North American version still had "boob cards" and all that jazz, they'd just slightly changed the artwork to cover up the exposed breasts - pin-up art is still pin-up art whether or not there's actual nudity involved after all. Also a few of the non-human female npcs that would wander around naked had longer hair that covers up their nipples, but nothing was actually "cut" from the game like what this story seems to be suggesting.
Actually, it seems pretty clear to me that nudity was cut from the game, which is definitely something. And definitely censorship.

It's neither here nor there, really, I just don't like the idea of heading down the track where we actually start thinking, oh, it's not really censorship because they didn't cut very much out.
See, with my overly pedantic mindset, while I can certainly agree that what transpired was in fact censorship, I have a difficult time considering it "cut content". The reason being of course that they actually added content - new polygons to the models in the place of longer hair, adding some clothing over top of the original artwork, etc. The changes they're making for the sequel in Australia sound like the game itself is being altered so that scenarios where sex and nudity would have cropped up simply won't be there at all anymore, while the censorship in the original kept all those game mechanics in place and just gave the digital ladies some (quite skimpy and revealing) clothing in the silly cheesecake illustrations you get for sleeping with them. It kind of reminds me of how Giants: Citizen Kabuto was censored, they added a bikini top to the one female character who would otherwise have been wandering around topless, in a separate file that was actually rendered over top of the original naked model, which was still there in the game unchanged; renaming the "bikini" file so the game couldn't load it removed the censorship.

Now me, I think censorship and those who clamor for it can get bent, which is why one of the first things I did after I got The Witcher was track down copies of the European versions of those files and instructions for replacing the "prudish" versions that I had been dealt thanks to my physical location, no matter how silly and ultimately tangential the difference between them really was (importing a copy from the UK would have done the same thing but taken more time and certainly more money). If they'd simply presented players with a checkbox to toggle the censorship on and off I probably wouldn't have even bothered with "enabling the nudity", it really doesn't add anything of substance to the game - I just don't like things like that being decided for me, heh.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
YawningAngel said:
Meh. If people truly disapproved, they wouldn't buy the game. Let the market censor things.
No, that's exactly the kind of attitude that allows them to get away with shit like this. I am an outspoken enemy of censoring. I believe that my rights as a human being are stomped on when they censor something!

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Thank you steam and it's nice easy gifting system. I will not be confined by the stupidity of my countries government! If Geralt wants to bang a broad as a reward, Geralt shall, cause that's what Geralt would do.

Nov 12, 2010
I find it funny how ripping a woman's head off is considered "normal" in video gaming (MK anyone?). But having sex with the said woman is going into the naughty territory.

I think it was George Carlin that mentioned "sex 'n violence" as being the same word in our society "beginning with an s and ending with an e". Why, oh, why will none of us think of the children?