The Witcher 3's Sex Scenes Came From 16 Hours of Mo-Cap Data - Update

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
There are other ways of establishing their relationship, or make people interested in the characters. Maybe you can have them do stuff together for a while before him looking for her. It's more important for the player to like the character and want to help a certain character, not that the character they are playing as finds the person important. Heck, for the Persona games, when it came to the party social links, people more likely did it because they were invested in the character already (along with the perks).

I feel that sex being used so haphazardly is not a good thing. Yes, it can show a close relationship, but with how it's been used in media, especially video games, it seems more like pleasure and gratification than anything emotional. Showing is more than telling, but if you just show sex, that's not really doing much. While not the greatest, Shadow of Mordor did an overall good job of showing the relationship of the guy and his family.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I don't particularly want to, but my mind can't seem to avoid going there...

Given what motion capture equipment is currently like, how difficult must it have been to film sex scenes with the participants wearing motion capture suits?
They don't exactly make close physical contact easy to accomplish... >_>

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I already pass on games with sex scenes in them, optional or not. It is just completely uninteresting. If that is what they consider the best way to establish a reason to care about a character, rather than making the character interesting in the first place, then fan service away.

Its kinda sad that I can get better characters in a hentai anime than I can in AAA RPGs these days, and more interesting sex as well.
joshuaayt said:
"Sex is the quickest way in which to establish the relationship and provide a justification for the player to pursue this woman," he continues. "We couldn't just tell you to go find someone you don't know or care about. It wouldn't work."

Oh, OK, so you've got a team of bad writers who can't think of any decent ways to set up a relationship. Good to know.
That is so lazy. You should not be looking for the "quickest way" to set anything up in a narrative, you should be looking for the best way. That might involve sex, sure, but it's not just "Oh yeah a sex scene that'll do it"
Super Cyborg said:
There are other ways of establishing their relationship, or make people interested in the characters. Maybe you can have them do stuff together for a while before him looking for her. It's more important for the player to like the character and want to help a certain character, not that the character they are playing as finds the person important. Heck, for the Persona games, when it came to the party social links, people more likely did it because they were invested in the character already (along with the perks).

I feel that sex being used so haphazardly is not a good thing. Yes, it can show a close relationship, but with how it's been used in media, especially video games, it seems more like pleasure and gratification than anything emotional. Showing is more than telling, but if you just show sex, that's not really doing much. While not the greatest, Shadow of Mordor did an overall good job of showing the relationship of the guy and his family.
Good to know random plebs on the internet, that probably never played a witcher game know more about how to write stories in the witcher universe than the game devs.
All joking aside:
Yeah, while this may sound a little lazy at first, you have to consider various things:
1. While this is the first part of the series, it's the first release of the game series for the playstation and only the second one for xbox, so character need to be introduced to new players, while old players shouldn't be forced to boring exposition.
2. Yennefer is a character that is very well know for people that read the books but that only actually appeared in flashbacks up until now in the games, with very little information about the character.
3. This isn't a character that they can have you spent a couple of hours with at the beginning of the game, because geralt hasn't found her yet at the beginning of the game. Since geralt has been remembering more and more parts of his former live i think that this early scene will most likely be a flashback of geralt were he remembers something that gives him a hint of where to look for Yennefer and it will also serve as an quick introduction to the character of Yennefer. The player needs a reason to want to find this women and it need's to be done quick because the actual gameplay starts with his search for her and they can't show hours of cutscenes explaining Yennefers character, because that would be boring in a game.
4. The "Sex scene" might not be as fanservicy as you imagine. They recently led a couple of Journalists play a preview copy of the game and some mentioned this scene from the beginning. From what they described the sex was more implied than actually shown, it basically starts after the sex with Geralt and Yennefer talking to each other. They did basically the same thing in The Witcher 2 were the game starts with Triss and Geralt climbing out of the bed to quickly show that she is his girlfriend and continued with both of them talking about the current situation to fill the player in into what's actually happening right now.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Baffle said:
Amaror said:
4. The "Sex scene" might not be as fanservicy as you imagine. They recently led a couple of Journalists play a preview copy of the game and some mentioned this scene from the beginning. From what they described the sex was more implied than actually shown, it basically starts after the sex with Geralt and Yennefer talking to each other.
They mo-capped implied sex?
Hehe, apparently.
From the article:
"Geralt, had just been intimate with the elusive Yennefer"
"Had just been", not "is right now".
Additionally that's what the journalists told us. I think the dev was just mentioning any scene with sex in the game that came to mind and not necessarily one were they used motion-capturing.
To be more precise. The Journalist said that this scene basically depicts geralt in a bath, with Yennefer currently dressing and both of them talking to each other, implying that they just had sex.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Nice to see everyone wearing their opinion about sex on their sleeve in here. Sex is great, people should do it more often, releases a lot of tension - something there's a lot of.

Geralt is a promiscuous fellow. It's his character. He's gonna have sex - a lot. If you don't want to see the sex scene, skip/don't engage.

And they're right,
Sex is the quickest way in which to establish the relationship and provide a justification for the player to pursue this woman
Geralt wants to bang uglies with this dame. Believe it or not but sex is a pretty significant motivator for men.

The Witcher doesn't pull punches, it gives it to you in the gritty, bleak and beautiful way the contemporary world operates. It's also from a Polish developer and I find their attitude towards sex to be far more mature than America's. Ironic, from a Catholic nation.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Abomination said:
Nice to see everyone wearing their opinion about sex on their sleeve in here. Sex is great, people should do it more often, releases a lot of tension - something there's a lot of.

Geralt is a promiscuous fellow. It's his character. He's gonna have sex - a lot. If you don't want to see the sex scene, skip/don't engage.

And they're right,
Sex is the quickest way in which to establish the relationship and provide a justification for the player to pursue this woman
Geralt wants to bang uglies with this dame. Believe it or not but sex is a pretty significant motivator for men.

The Witcher doesn't pull punches, it gives it to you in the gritty, bleak and beautiful way the contemporary world operates. It's also from a Polish developer and I find their attitude towards sex to be far more mature than America's. Ironic, from a Catholic nation.
Plenty of female friends I have apparently really enjoy sex too.

Just...you know...throwing that out there as an addition to the above.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I can't help but picture the two actors, in the mocap body suits, with all the little balls on them, dry humping each other for hours on end. Probably emitting little comments of "ow, ow, those damn balls!" as they get bumped into each others genitals over and over. "Cut! The crotch balls fell off! Need to reattach them! Dude, stop thrusting so hard, and don't stir it around like your making coffee, your tearing the fabric man!" "This is the longest I've ever had sex with someone without having any actual FUN! This job sucks! Can we like take 5 to go rub one out to relieve stress or something and then get back to it?! My clitoris feels like a sunburned grape with all this friction!"

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
Plenty of female friends I have apparently really enjoy sex too.

Just...you know...throwing that out there as an addition to the above.
Oh absolutely, but we are talking about establishing Geralt's character and Geralt's relationships. Men typically have a stronger sex drive and being promiscuous is not just considered more Alpha but is biologically successful too.

Irony again, Geralt is sterile.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Now that's going the extra mile. It might have been a mile too far. But if you're going to have sex scenes, might as well make them look good.

Abomination said:
Irony again, Geralt is sterile.
Which probably explains why women don't have much of a problem having sex with him. All the fun with a very experienced(Witchers don't age quickly so he's significantly older than he looks), admittedly scarred to hell and back but still cut from stone man with none of the horrible screaming potential of a baby. Sounds like a win win if I've ever heard it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013

*Smacks head against desk repeatedly*

I don't really see why this is important, or how they can tout this as a selling point unironically. It just reeks of petulance. "Look at us. We're big boys now." Yes you are CD project. You're. A. Big. Boy.

I actually like this company, but this attitude really irks me. The best way to build an emotional connection is through sex? Only a very poor writer believes this. Up was a children's film, and it sounds more mature then this. I'm not mad, just a little disapointed. Sex has its place in media, but this isn't it.

Delance

Mar 12, 2011
The love scene in the original ME is the only one from Bioware that I found out not be bad. It's was quite OK, actually.

It didn't show much, it thankfully didn't have any "thrusting", or fully clothed people when they really shouldn't be. (see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RightThroughHisPants).

Everything else from them afterwards is just embarrassing.

Bioware, either do it right, or just leave it to suggestion like in the good old KOTOR days. Fade to black can be your friend.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
Lono Shrugged said:
I too, do not enjoy a woman's company unless I have recently fucked her.

This is a known true fact (on MRA websites)
I'd be careful with mocking the developer's awkward phrasing if I were you, I'm pretty sure that's how the Tomb Raider reboot turned from "You will be motivated to kill this sleazy villain!" to "THIS GAME IS NOTHING BUT RAPE ALL MEN CAN ONLY CARE FOR A WOMAN TO PROTECT HER FROM RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!!!!" and the absolute detonation of "THAT'S -IST!!!!!!" on the internet afterwards.
God, I hope so...

Spushkin

Nov 2, 2011
Sleekit said:
to be perfectly frank the only sex scene in the Witcher 2 that was part of the main storyline (and was still optional) is probably the best representation of a sexual encounter ive ever seen in a game.
This. That was a beautiful scene, definitely didn't feel hamfisted or anything.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Lono Shrugged said:
Dragonlayer said:
Lono Shrugged said:
I too, do not enjoy a woman's company unless I have recently fucked her.

This is a known true fact (on MRA websites)
I'd be careful with mocking the developer's awkward phrasing if I were you, I'm pretty sure that's how the Tomb Raider reboot turned from "You will be motivated to kill this sleazy villain!" to "THIS GAME IS NOTHING BUT RAPE ALL MEN CAN ONLY CARE FOR A WOMAN TO PROTECT HER FROM RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!!!!" and the absolute detonation of "THAT'S -IST!!!!!!" on the internet afterwards.
God, I hope so...
Are you some kind of internet masochist!?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
"People might think we're putting sex into the opening scene for no good reason," explains Monhier. "No, no, no. We are establishing that your character was intimate with this woman recently in order to plant in your mind that, at very least, he must enjoy her company."

"Sex is the quickest way in which to establish the relationship and provide a justification for the player to pursue this woman," he continues. "We couldn't just tell you to go find someone you don't know or care about. It wouldn't work."
Oh god, there must be something lost in translation, because this is the dumbest most juvenile excuse making for being juvenile. Ehrmagerd, so gritty, so dark, so real, much sex. I'll be glad when they make a game about searching for a man, and it starts with that. Or even better, let's have them look for their children. Opening on them having sex with them. Just to establish it. Looking for stolen eldritch artifacts or nuclear material? Start of with sex.

Your writers are hacks CD Projekt. They're so bad at it that they can't even write convincing dialogue to lie to me about their juvenile crap. Oh god that's funny.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
As much as it sounds appealing to have actual, realistic sex scenes, from what I've heard I know Geralt is probably going to still have his pants on for all of them and you're never going to see his wiener because straight men are overly squeamish about their own body parts.

I'll take Bioware's new more story focused, mature, appearing to be sex-less romances any day over seeing Geralt bang a line of naked, beautiful, only existing to be banged women with his pants on.