The Wolf Among Us - Season Finale discussion! (Spoilers, of course)

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011

If you are an owner of TWAU, the final episode and season finale is out RIGHT NOW! If you haven't played it, go on! Give it a shot! Then come back and tell us what you think!

Spoilers below - You have been warned!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, loved this episode. And I thought to be a generally great episode all around. It felt a bit short, but perhaps that was just my own perception of it. But the way things unfolded, and the interactions with the Fables, was a lot more interesting than I imagined they would be.

I played it as straight as I could, while letting my emotions get the best of me here or there, I tried to be the upstanding sheriff, I tried to be the protector, I tried to bring justice to those who deserved it. And for the most part, I stuck to it. Here's a rundown of every decision I remember making...

-I didn't listen, nor make any deals with the Crooked Man.
-Threatened to take both Georgie and Crooked Man in.
-Decided to jump on Georgie's car during the getaway (Mostly because I had no idea the Crooked Man was in the other car)
-Ended Georgie's suffering
-Took the Crooked Man in for a trial after the fight with Mary (But only after I slapped the gun out of his hand. ************.)
-During the trial, I tried my best to be keep the crowd focused on his crimes. But also admitting that the Fabletown government hasn't done a great job, and telling everyone that I do care and will try to protect them.
-Threw the Crooked Man down the witching well.

I was surprised by how emotional the scene with Georgie turned out to be. I thought he was a piece of shit idiot, and I greatly enjoyed injuring him with his own knife. While I was disappointed I missed the Crooked Man's car, I thought getting answers and evidence from Georgie would still be a great idea. I wanted to get my hands on him and beat some more answers out of him, but the scene played out in a way I totally didn't expect.

I wasn't surprised to hear the story behind the murders. And that Georgie was a coward about the whole thing. He carried out the Crooked Man's orders to kill those girls, and that makes them both guilty. What I didn't understand, is why Vivian was bothering to protect that piece of shit! And what's the story behind the ribbons!?

However, that question was soon answered. Without explicitly stating anything, it became very clear how Vivian and Georgie felt about each other. Then the question behind the ribbons was also answered, and how to break the spell. And what exactly was at stake if the spell would be broken.

Just like that, I became very unsure about the whole thing and what the right thing to do was. But before I could make a decision, or make my mind up at all, Vivian declared she was tired of being told how to live her life, and tired of the guilt for ruining her friends lives. Then she removed her ribbon, and decapitated herself. Jesus christ!

So there was Georgie, bleeding his guts out next to the decapitated remains of Vivian, and after coming clean about the Crooked Man's actions, begged me to end his life quickly, which I obliged to. I killed Georgie, and then left. What a fucking scene....

-

The fight with Bloody Mary was very cool. The extent of how dangerous Mary is was shown very well. And, of course, THE FULL WOLF FORM was an absolute joy to behold. I knew it was coming, and it still brought so much hype and happiness. It was really satisfying getting to control the REAL Big Bad Wolf! I had the biggest smile on my face when he huffed, and he puffed.

But, I thought Mary's actual death was a bit anti-climactic. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was just like... That's it? Okay then.

-

The trial. It was tempting to try to kill Crooked Man, and the trial was the exact reason why I felt the need to kill him. I knew he would try to worm his way out by blaming Georgie, and for a few moments, it almost seemed like it would work. Although, remaining mostly helpful to the other Fables really paid off. Everyone wanted Crooked Man to pay for his crimes, and he did almost succeed at making them question Bigby and Snow, but after a very tense conversation, everyone was on my side.

And thus, I made the decision. To throw him down the witching well. While I wanted to be a merciful sheriff, he had done so much to harm so many people. And, he ordered the deaths of two innocent fables that deserved better. I agreed with Snow when she said his crimes earned him the punishment of death, so I threw him down the witching well. Justice was finally served for Faith and Lily.

So there we have it, the very end of the season. And personally, I believe to be an excellent conclusion to this mystery arc. Conclusions are reached, bad guys are punished, and every question has been answered.

Or have they?

Snow and Bluebeard's odd cooperativeness aside, I imagine no matter which route you took, the episode ended with a very interesting conversation with Nerissa.... What the fuck was that all about?

That one conversation changed the entire way I looked at EVERYTHING that took place. I have no doubts that the Crooked Man deserved his punishment. But... something's not right. I went after her in the end, after all the shit I did and all the events she set in motion, she's got some explaining to do.

Sadly, the season ended with that cliffhanger. Now I normally really dislike cliffhangers, and I certainly didn't love this one, I took it as a good thing because it means there must be more Wolf Among Us to come! Hell yes! Also, I'm going to replay it tomorrow as my 'Renegade' Bigby, this should be interesting...

So, enough of my gushing. Has anyone else played it through? What were your thoughts? And what would you like to see next!?

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I really liked it - well except the part where it forces you to be a dick to Mr. Toad and TJ... I made pretty much the exact same decisions as you OP, except in regards to what to do with the Crooked Man. Mary's battle was cool, but yeah wasn't the most climatic. I imagine it was probably done that way to create ambiguity over whether she really died leaving the option open for her to come back at some point. Crooked Man was far more anti-climatic in my opinion though - he became much less threatening by agreeing to come along, having his weapon taken away then losing the argument so miserably... I chose to bring him along peacefully in the hopes it would draw things out longer and by time it came to making the decision over what to do with him, it didn't feel like there was any risk in letting him live. It would have been a more interesting choice if he actually seemed capable of doing any harm by that point...

Don't really get what the cliffhanger was though?

Wasn't the final conversation with Nerissa just suggesting that the Faith you met in Episode 1 and the Nerissa you met subsequently were the same person, using the glamour to look like the other (there's a bit of debate as to whether it was Nerissa all along glamoured as Faith or Faith all along glamoured as Narissa). Either way, I don't think it's particularly dubious or central to the overall mystery - just a little detail to keep thinking about - which one did you know?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I really liked it as well, although the ending cliffhanger where it made you choose to go or not after Nerissa confused me a bit so I might need a bit of clarification on that.

Other than that I feel like my choices throughout all of the episode was right spot on and the decision of going after Georgie first was the best thing to do. I sentenced Crooked Man to prison and I got the community on my side at his trial.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Basically a repost of what I said in the other thread following:

I was kind of annoyed with the entire episode, to be honest.

I chose to take him back, since I plan to do another playthrough of the last episode doing what I should've done and not bother with the trial. I was highly annoyed that I wasn't able to talk about the other bullshit he had done. The money lending schemes, which were only mentioned, the slavery involved in making the charms, which is completely skipped over, sending armed goons after people. It felt like the writers were trying to make too much of a point that it was a case of grey and grey morality, while it is in this case clearly a case of grey and black.

Furthermore, what was the deal with Toad still being sent away? I gave him Crane's money, so he can pay for his charms. This was another blatant fuck you, I think.

Although I understand what they wanted to do with the ending sequence, make it a rather noire-like thing in which a pretty girl tricks someone into helping her, it still doesn't make sense whatsoever. There was no way to see it coming, and it just felt like a bad "bet you didn't see that coming" moment.
Furthermore: it is interpretable in multiple ways. I've had friends thinking they meant it was Nerissa in ep 1 pretending to be Faith and others thinking it was Faith in ep 5 pretending to be Nerissa.

As for the fight scene: I found it very disappointing. They did try to set up Mary as some foil of Bigby and what he could've been, someone taking what he wants through strength and intimidation, but they do it so badly. And the fight itself was kind of... I don't know. Why could Mary suddenly make clones of herself? I'd have liked it if there had been some in-battle banter or something, or some kind of puzzle to solve with smashing a mirror, anything to break up the monotony of clicking on the Maries.

So yeah. I pretty much made the same decisions as most of you: got onto Georgie's car (since it wasn't really clear the other one was the Crooked Man's), mercy-killed him (don't know why Bigby didn't go for the throat), brought the crooked man in, turned him into a fucking raven. I still think that I'll like the next try I'll do better, because fuck the Crooked Man. I hope it'll turn the discussion back to the underlying motive of 'is Bigby still the big bad wolf', in stead of the horrible arguments the CM was trying to make and you couldn't do anything against.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Bellvedere said:
Wasn't the final conversation with Nerissa just suggesting that the Faith you met in Episode 1 and the Nerissa you met subsequently were the same person, using the glamour to look like the other (there's a bit of debate as to whether it was Nerissa all along glamoured as Faith or Faith all along glamoured as Narissa). Either way, I don't think it's particularly dubious or central to the overall mystery - just a little detail to keep thinking about - which one did you know?
Nah, i think it was Narissa glamoured as Faith.
First Faith would have needed to be glamoured basically the whole game for it to work.
Secondly Gorgy said that he murdered Faith, not Narissa.
Thirdly the Head of "Faith" would have needed to be the head of Narissa glamoured as Faith and the glamour would have run out after a while and people would have noticed. Glamours aren't infinite that's why so many Fables can't afford them.
And last but not least it just wouldn't have made any sense. If it was Faith all along there was no reason why she couldn't have put Narissa's head on his steps and glamoured as Narissa when they first med.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Amaror said:
Bellvedere said:
Nah, i think it was Narissa glamoured as Faith.
First Faith would have needed to be glamoured basically the whole game for it to work.
Secondly Gorgy said that he murdered Faith, not Narissa.
Thirdly the Head of "Faith" would have needed to be the head of Narissa glamoured as Faith and the glamour would have run out after a while and people would have noticed. Glamours aren't infinite that's why so many Fables can't afford them.
And last but not least it just wouldn't have made any sense. If it was Faith all along there was no reason why she couldn't have put Narissa's head on his steps and glamoured as Narissa when they first med.
Oh yeah I agree. To argue the other way round gets a bit more convoluted. The only really compelling evidence the Faith argument has anyway is the fact that the magic mirror was unable to show Faith back in episode one saying the same "These lips are sealed" despite the fact the ribbon had been removed from Faith and that it proved it was able to show dead people. But both sides have some decent arguments and flaws - which I think is the intention.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that all that conversation at the end was, was showing you only met one of them rather than undermining the whole case or creating another mystery that really needed following up on (does it really matter which one survived?).

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Myself, I stayed largely silent during the meeting with the Crooked Man; he seemed to have the upper hand with comfortable conversation, so I thought I'd deny him that with threatening silence. Once he offered to hand Georgie over, I went for that as much as possible - trying to take him in would lead to a massive fight, whereas taking Georgie could give me all the information I needed to go after the Crooked Man on my terms. It didn't go exactly as planned, as despite my attempts at diplomacy, the Crooked Man decided that no, he'd just let his goons go after me, but on the upside I thrashed them without taking much damage.

Didn't kill Vivian or Georgie; killing Tweedle (which I still think was the right call, given his propensity for murder) taught me that if given an excuse, people will look at me as a bloodthirsty monster, and I wanted to use this as an opportunity to clean up the town and stop that impression. So after smashing Mary to pieces (which she may well have survived), I let the Crooked Man push hard for the trial that I actually wanted, played it diplomatically, and refrained from pushing him down the well. Now I have a card to play for when people start pulling the 'You're and uncontrollable monster' thing. I do wonder whether if you were just a violent jerk the whole time, the crowd can side with the Crooked Man, and how things would play from there.

As for the whole Nerissa thing, I didn't quite get it all at the end; it was too long between episodes for me to have a cohesive sense of all the hints they dropped, and they threw the quotes out so fast and with no context - but I did figure it out after giving it a little thought.

As for whether it was Faith or Nerissa, there's no way to know for sure, and there's difficulties with each one - for it to have been Faith, it would mean that Nerissa had glamoured herself as Faith right to the point of her death; I suppose she may have suicidally volunteered or something, but it's tricky to see how that would work. However, that does let certain other things make sense - the fact that Faith's Donkeyskin Coat went missing after Toad turned it in, for instance; Nerissa wouldn't really have an attachment to that.

As for why Toad and TJ get shipped off to the farm regardless, I suspect that's because the next season, if there is one, will deal with stuff going on at the farm, and it needed them to go there for that.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Bellvedere said:
Maybe I chose the wrong dialogue options, or maybe I wasn't as kind to the other Fables as I could have been, but in the trial, the Crooked Man did succeed at making the others question Bigby and Snow. There were a few moments where the crowd didn't seem to support us, but those moments were brief out of the whole trial.

Don't really get what the cliffhanger was though?
You know, perhaps it was unfair of me to call that a cliffhanger. I guess it's more of a "To be continued" or "On the next season..."

The arc was drawn to a close after all. But that conversation with Nerissa sure did bring up a ton of questions. It was a bit irksome that the episode ended right after that final "choice", but it wasn't too bad. Overall, I was satisfied with the episode.

Alleged_Alec said:

I chose to take him back, since I plan to do another playthrough of the last episode doing what I should've done and not bother with the trial. I was highly annoyed that I wasn't able to talk about the other bullshit he had done. The money lending schemes, which were only mentioned, the slavery involved in making the charms, which is completely skipped over, sending armed goons after people. It felt like the writers were trying to make too much of a point that it was a case of grey and grey morality, while it is in this case clearly a case of grey and black.
While I thought the trial scene was tense, I did also feel some frustration that I wasn't able to snap the other fables back into reality by bringing up the clearly evil and rotten shit CM had done. Such as when he was claiming to have "helped" Beauty and Beast, and they seemed to have forgotten about the serious and constant threats from CM's goons. How could they have seriously been doubting me after begging me to help them from CM's intimidation and loan sharking?

Furthermore, what was the deal with Toad still being sent away? I gave him Crane's money, so he can pay for his charms. This was another blatant fuck you, I think.
This was really frustration, and I think shows that TTG has more improvements to make in their style of games. In that no matter what decision you make, it doesn't change certain outcomes at all. I didn't want anyone to be sent to the farm. But I ended up looking like a piece of shit cause Colin was staying, and Toad wasn't. Even though I had done a lot to ruin Toad's life in the city. Yeah, that pissed me off too.

Although I understand what they wanted to do with the ending sequence, make it a rather noire-like thing in which a pretty girl tricks someone into helping her, it still doesn't make sense whatsoever. There was no way to see it coming, and it just felt like a bad "bet you didn't see that coming" moment.
Hmm, in episode 4 where you were talking with Nerissa in your office, I actually do remember thinking "Hmmm, Faith said the same exact thing. Funny coincidence..."

Then, at the very end, Nerissa repeats another thing Faith said. That's when I thought "Huh. Faith said the same exact thing... Wait, wtf? WTF????" So I began questioning everything at the same exact moment Bigby did. I thought it was a pretty cool moment.

As for the fight scene: I found it very disappointing. They did try to set up Mary as some foil of Bigby and what he could've been, someone taking what he wants through strength and intimidation, but they do it so badly. And the fight itself was kind of... I don't know. Why could Mary suddenly make clones of herself? I'd have liked it if there had been some in-battle banter or something, or some kind of puzzle to solve with smashing a mirror, anything to break up the monotony of clicking on the Maries.
The fight could've been improved by a lot. Some Banter would've been great, or adding some puzzle elements to add actual thought into the ordeal rather than a purely cinematic presentation. I'm not exactly sure if we've really seen the last of Mary though.

Overall, I can't really disagree with your complaints at all. While I personally thought the episode to be greatly satisfying, I also thought there were so many ways it could've been even better.

For starters, it seemed like everyone had a tiny part in this episode. There was very little of Snow involved. No Bufkin whatsoever from what I remember. And every other fable was only there to scream on top of the other during the trial.

There were also some hints of plotlines that were supposed to be in the game but never made it in. I don't know if anyone else here saved Lawrence, but the guy had almost 0 presence in the rest of the episodes. There was even a scene shown at the end of Episode 1 that previews the next episode, that has Lawrence arguing at Bigby demanding to know the location of Faith's body. Something that never occurred in the game. What happened to that?

Part of me wonders if TTG working on this game alongside The Walking Dead season 2 compromised the quality of it. You have this entirely new IP, alongside a successful and celebrated IP. I worry they spread themselves too thin and didn't take the time they really needed to make TWAU as great as it could have been. But, I still loved what I saw, and I can only hope there will be a next season, and that it will be even better than the first.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
Maybe I chose the wrong dialogue options, or maybe I wasn't as kind to the other Fables as I could have been, but in the trial, the Crooked Man did succeed at making the others question Bigby and Snow. There were a few moments where the crowd didn't seem to support us, but those moments were brief out of the whole trial.
Yeah that happened to me too, but his arguments were just so silly that I couldn't actually believe that anyone would stay on his side. When they did listen to his arguments it seemed more of a "hey that's right you guys are jerks too" rather than "hey that's a good point we don't think that the Crooked Man should hang". The trial was the weakest part of the episode though, I wouldn't have minded it so much except that it was supposed to be the big bad guy that willingly came along because he was confident in his ability to get himself out of there - and his plan totally sucked.

There were also some hints of plotlines that were supposed to be in the game but never made it in. I don't know if anyone else here saved Lawrence, but the guy had almost 0 presence in the rest of the episodes. There was even a scene shown at the end of Episode 1 that previews the next episode, that has Lawrence arguing at Bigby demanding to know the location of Faith's body. Something that never occurred in the game. What happened to that?

Part of me wonders if TTG working on this game alongside The Walking Dead season 2 compromised the quality of it. You have this entirely new IP, alongside a successful and celebrated IP. I worry they spread themselves too thin and didn't take the time they really needed to make TWAU as great as it could have been. But, I still loved what I saw, and I can only hope there will be a next season, and that it will be even better than the first.
Episode 2 had a big delay, and that episode along with episode 3 was heavily re-written. For instance the cop from the start of episode 2 was supposed to have a bigger role. Telltale haven't said what exactly happened ("unforeseeable difficulties") but I doubt it was from working on two projects - perhaps disagreement with the IP holder given that it's a prequel and uses the major characters from the comic (unlike TWD which used new and unrelated characters).

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
Yeah I was surprised as well.
I was thinking "oh hey we're gunna visit the farm? wait wtf why is Toad being sent? I just gave him that shitload of money!" Damnit, you'd think Snow has better things to do than harass Toad but I guess that takes priority over the now tonnes of unemployed.

OT: Really enjoyed the big bad wolf form and it was pretty funny to see him huff and puff, honestly I was expecting a howl loud enough to shatter glass but this gave me a chuckle. In the end I threw the crooked man down the well, other people might see that as cruel but I saw it as a mercy, ripping his head off would have been a bit much and letting him rot in prison seemed worse as he'd be a burden on Fabletown's limited resources and do nothing all day. At least this way he won't be causing anymore trouble, I keep my promise to Beauty and the Beast and he will always be remembered in the library.

Now I'm just gunna take a break before going back for another run through to get all the achievements.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yeah I really liked it, I thought that the last episode felt a bit rushed but overall this was a really good final IMO. The final wolf fight with Mary could have used a bit more of an "epic" climax rather than just "huff and puff" (even though it makes sense).
I had a bit of an issue with the trial after killing The Crooked Man. I understand that they can't account for everything that you do but I figure the witch lady would at least appreciate me not burning her tree down, and The Butcher I guess just forgot that The Crooked Man was managing a slave trade in his shop. Sure I guess. I did like that you could just go "fuck it, I'm leaving" though.

But yeah I think the ending was probably something to do with Nerissa glamoured as Faith either before or just after actual Faith was killed.

Either way, still looking forward to whatever Telltale bring out next as usual. Just some slight disappointment that the Fables universe doesn't seem to be too accessible excluding the comics.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Either way, still looking forward to whatever Telltale bring out next as usual. Just some slight disappointment that the Fables universe doesn't seem to be too accessible excluding the comics.
There's a Fables universe outside of the comics? I thought the comics were the only other Fables material out there. Oh, and is there a way to get into the comics without spending hundreds on all the books? Not pirating, of course, but perhaps digital versions you can get for a bit cheaper.

OT: Very nice ending, but it really did seem like a lot of your choices meant nothing (nothing allows the CM to win even if you've been a murdering asshole and fail in your arguments), but that's to be expected with Telltale games nowadays. Telltale should wait a while to do a S2 because well, they've got so many ongoing projects that in all honesty I'm seeing it seep into their work a little bit. Adding more to TWD, GoT and Borderlands is just silly.

[EDIT]And I've got to say the ending to Bloody Mary's fight was anti-climactic as fuck. I expected some ripping and tearing and some lines from Mary of Bigby but we just got her shattering like all of her clones. At least we got Bigby's final form, him blowing everyone away and I'm glad they actually made Mary look threatening compared to her "I'm super tough I promise" normal look.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
The whole 'trial' was very disappointing. Well, I say trial, but I did kill the Crooked Man. Everyone seemingly forgot everything CM did in favor of painting him as an innocent bystander in Bigby's rage shitstorm. That fucking witch with her fucking tree that I didn't even burn and I didn't understand why she has such an important opinion when she was basically a criminal. Beauty, who saw first hand what he did and still defended him. Beast and Glen saying I beat the shit out of them when they're the ones who jumped me first. Holly continues to be my favorite character.

Everything seemed so convoluted to make Bigby look like the bad guy, when he's the only one who ever did shit for Fabletown. I genuinely got mad, said fuck this and walked away.

The ending confused me, I didn't even make the connection between Nerissa and Faith before looking at this thread. Is there for sure going to be a second season?

And can anyone tell me, if you bring the Crooked Man alive, is Snow still awkward and uncomfortable around you afterwards?

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
hazabaza1 said:
There's a Fables universe outside of the comics? I thought the comics were the only other Fables material out there. Oh, and is there a way to get into the comics without spending hundreds on all the books? Not pirating, of course, but perhaps digital versions you can get for a bit cheaper.
I thiiink there's a few novels, but my point is that though the series got my interest, spending god knows how much on a series of comics that might not be as good isn't too appealing.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I thiiink there's a few novels, but my point is that though the series got my interest, spending god knows how much on a series of comics that might not be as good isn't too appealing.
Ah, I see what you mean. Paying £16 for every ten issues is a much worse investment than, for example, paying £25 for about 40 or so issues of TWD. That and the books aren't even close to reaching the 140th issue they're on now.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
hazabaza1 said:
Ah, I see what you mean. Paying £16 for every ten issues is a much worse investment than, for example, paying £25 for about 40 or so issues of TWD. That and the books aren't even close to reaching the 140th issue they're on now.
Yeah, that price investment is a pretty big turnoff.
In some years if they release a compendium or something like they did for TWD I might pick it up and check it out but until then, probably gonna miss out on it.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
Alleged_Alec said:

While I thought the trial scene was tense, I did also feel some frustration that I wasn't able to snap the other fables back into reality by bringing up the clearly evil and rotten shit CM had done. Such as when he was claiming to have "helped" Beauty and Beast, and they seemed to have forgotten about the serious and constant threats from CM's goons. How could they have seriously been doubting me after begging me to help them from CM's intimidation and loan sharking?
I didn't feel the trial scene was tense at all, but mostly because it just felt like a sham because I didn't get to say what I should be able to say.

The fight could've been improved by a lot. Some Banter would've been great, or adding some puzzle elements to add actual thought into the ordeal rather than a purely cinematic presentation. I'm not exactly sure if we've really seen the last of Mary though.
I think it would have been improved by either banter or keeping Bigby in werewolf-mode for much longer, trying to fight the urge to go all-out. Bigby is basically a god; he can smell people days after they've been to a place, is the son of the Wind and Winter. I would've liked it if they either done this or banter with Mary, to show how he's fighting the urge to just solve everything by killing everyone involved.

I don't know if anyone else here saved Lawrence, but the guy had almost 0 presence in the rest of the episodes. There was even a scene shown at the end of Episode 1 that previews the next episode, that has Lawrence arguing at Bigby demanding to know the location of Faith's body.
This, also. If the theory is true that it's Faith disguised as Lawrence, she's being a ***** for not letting Lawrence in on it at all, especially after the first (failed) suicide attempt.

I think it's mostly that they should've had a plot in mind from the get-go. Instead, they just muddled around too much. In the first episode, they killed Snow, but then figured that this would probably piss off fans of the comics, so they made that not be so.* The same thing happens in the episode 2 to 3 break, where they figure out that Crane probably should not be the murderer, but just a fucking creep, so they throw over the entire plot once more, making crooked man the big bad. Luckily, they stick with it, but they shift the hatred of the player from him to Mary, which they set up as a foil for bigby and do nothing with for the rest of the episodes.

But the story is so far from done. There are still bad people out there: at least one of the Tweedles, Jersey Devil and the non-named compatriot of the Crooked Man. It feels kind of abrubt to end it here without even mentioning those. Furthermore, I know that Crane went to Paris, but it would've been nice to actually tell the player this. And where the Woodsman has gone, even I don't know.

So today, I did the other playthrough, where I denied the Crooked Man his trial. This should've been a good option, I think, instead of making Bigby look like the bad guy. At least let me defend myself, instead of making me the fucking "I'm not the sheriff Fabletown wants, but I'm the one it deserves". There were good reasons to kill that guy, and the game acts like there were none apart from "because I fucking felt like it". At least make it feel like he's regressing, or like Bigby is trying to set himself up as a benevolent but judgemental God.

As for those wondering: I really like the comics. I've only read the first 40 odd issues so far, but I think they're pretty great. They involve a lot more Fables and also discuss stuff on a bigger scale, and there is a bit less of a focus on Bigby.

*This was one other moment I hated. Why the fuck couldn't I say anything about this whatsoever? In the beginning of episode two I was like: wth Snow, why are you alive? And she just went on like I and Bigby were supposed to know she wasn't dead all along.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I pretty much killed everyone. Although at the beginning, I did give the Crooked Man a chance when he seemed to be cordial about the whole thing. But once he called Bloody Mary out, then the gloves were off.

However, I was surprised that they made me care about Georgie even if only a little bit. I ended his misery instead of letting him bleed out beside the body of his presumed lover.

I'm unsure if Mary actually died? Bigby's maw was bloody after the fight, but that could just be from biting a bunch of monsters that had glass shards sticking out of their bodies.

I let Crooked Man talk for a bit at the refinery, but the second time he raised the gun to me, that signed his own death warrant.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that everyone treats Bigby like a monster because he killed anyone at the trial. Every kill was in self defense! And even if you say that, even Bigby doesn't sound very convinced that was the case, and nobody believes him despite the fact that he's still riddled with bullet holes and gashes.

Plus, Snow doesn't seem to be doing much better than Crane if the scene at the business office was anything to judge by. And she sent Toad and TJ to the farm despite the fact that he could afford the glamours now? If there was anyone that Bigby should have punched in the mouth by the end of the game, Snow is way up there.

Sidenote: Are Bigby's eyes a psuedo-paragon/renegade meter? I noticed the more I had him hurt/kill people, the darker red his eyes got when they were originally yellow earlier in the game. Does that happen to everyone, or do they change when he's been Paragon-er?

hazabaza1 said:
Yeah I really liked it, I thought that the last episode felt a bit rushed but overall this was a really good final IMO. The final wolf fight with Mary could have used a bit more of an "epic" climax rather than just "huff and puff" (even though it makes sense).
I had a bit of an issue with the trial after killing The Crooked Man. I understand that they can't account for everything that you do but I figure the witch lady would at least appreciate me not burning her tree down, and The Butcher I guess just forgot that The Crooked Man was managing a slave trade in his shop. Sure I guess. I did like that you could just go "fuck it, I'm leaving" though.

But yeah I think the ending was probably something to do with Nerissa glamoured as Faith either before or just after actual Faith was killed.

Actually, you can call the Witch out if you didn't burn her tree. Although all it does is cause her to shift blame from Bigby to Snow. And Snow gets annoyed at you for throwing her under the bus.

Also, the game actually takes place quite a bit before the comics even start. This is a prequel, so I think it does a good job of introducing the setting.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I rather enjoyed it. I made mostly the same choices, but I let the Crooked Man live because I got that he wasn't the one on trial, the fabletown government was. That's the reality of it, yeah, he did criminal things, but some many there honestly didn't give a shit as they saw him as the better alternative to fabletown. Killing him would just entrench those views in people that just want to sweep the dirty laundry aside while abusing power and ignoring those left behind. He had to be beaten and the others shown that he was only buddy buddy when he got something back, and when that stopped, he would turn. Kind of what everyone sees Bigby as. I had to be better.

Uh let's see, I let Georgie live. I'm not big on mercy killing for murderers, and at the time, I though he might have a chance. The rule about a fable's fame being related to how hard it is to kill them aren't very precise, and Georgie only has the one poem, but I said what the hell, if the woodsman can take an axe to the head, Geogie might make it. Same rule means I'm not writing Mary off yet. Toad felt cheap, but it fits in that the early comics have a server level of discontent up at the farm, so some unfair treatment wouldn't be out of place.

Then we get to the 11th hour reveal. An obvious attempt to give us something to talk about the way The Walking Dead did with it's post credits scene, but I can't fault it as totally illogical or thematically out of place for a noirish mystery (regardless of the exact details).

Overall, this wasn't the Walking Dead, but was good in it's own right.