The Wolf Among Us - Season Finale discussion! (Spoilers, of course)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I basically did everything straight and narrow, as I had been doing all game. Then come the trial they had bugger-all to pin on me, which was satisfying.

Threw him down the well. Came to regret it.

Liked the epilogue scene. Made me feel like I'd been played like a bloody fiddle. By the little bloody mermaid of all people!

Not entirely sure what that last string of quotes was trying to hint at. The "not as bad as people say you are" line suggests that the Faith from the beginning was Narissa in glamour, but that poses all kind of questions. Not least among them being "Why?".

Honestly don't like the whole glamour mechanic thing. It makes for too easily convoluted plots.

Hope Mary isn't dead. I want to see more of her. Given that the very last line is, "See you around, Wolf," in her voice, I feel confident in saying I'll get my wish.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
I think it's mostly that they should've had a plot in mind from the get-go. Instead, they just muddled around too much. In the first episode, they killed Snow, but then figured that this would probably piss off fans of the comics, so they made that not be so.* The same thing happens in the episode 2 to 3 break, where they figure out that Crane probably should not be the murderer, but just a fucking creep, so they throw over the entire plot once more, making crooked man the big bad. Luckily, they stick with it, but they shift the hatred of the player from him to Mary, which they set up as a foil for bigby and do nothing with for the rest of the episodes.
About the Snow part, I'm pretty sure the plan from the start was to have Snow be alive the whole time. She's alive in the comics, and the Wolf Among Us is a prequel that is considered canon, so killing off on of the main comic characters would be impossible. It's not about the fans being upset, it's about not conflicting with the story in the comic books.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Zhukov said:
but that poses all kind of questions. Not least among them being "Why?".
One of the theories going around is that by the time Bigby spoke to "Faith", real Faith was either already dead or about to be killed. So Narissa goes along, gives Bigby a name and a somewhat personal connection, rather than just some random hooker being murdered, meaning that he's going to have more of an investment in the case.

Random curiosity, do Gren and Beast still have a go at you if you didn't go bad cop? I tried to mostly be a kind caring Bigby but sometimes you just need to slap a ************. The mix of treating those two with some kind of respect and tearing out the occasional throat caused them to shift a lot during the trial, particularly Gren, he couldn't seem to decide if he supported me or was still angry that he attacked me and it didn't end up too well.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Zhukov said:
Random curiosity, do Gren and Beast still have a go at you if you didn't go bad cop? I tried to mostly be a kind caring Bigby but sometimes you just need to slap a ************. The mix of treating those two with some kind of respect and tearing out the occasional throat caused them to shift a lot during the trial, particularly Gren, he couldn't seem to decide if he supported me or was still angry that he attacked me and it didn't end up too well.
I treated Gren pretty well throughout the game but I was mixed with Beast. I lied to him about Beauty, but I didn't beat him up as bad as I could have. Gren seemed to have my back throughout the whole trial, he and Holly where the only ones who weren't even slightly swayed by the Crooked Man's defense. Beast sided with the Crooked Man for a bit, but ended up on my side.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
inu-kun said:
For anybody who didn't read the comics, let's say throwing someone alive down the well is far worse than anything they can inflict on them...
Here's a question then, and something that bugged me a tad. Woodsman can survive having his skull caved in with an axe, Tweedledum shrugs off the heavy beat down you give him (assuming you spare him), yet why does Georgie finds a simple knife to the guts fatal? All three characters are essentially 'human', so I'd assume they have similar lethality thresholds.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
The Goat Tsar said:
hazabaza1 said:
Zhukov said:
I treated Gren pretty well throughout the game but I was mixed with Beast. I lied to him about Beauty, but I didn't beat him up as bad as I could have. Gren seemed to have my back throughout the whole trial, he and Holly where the only ones who weren't even slightly swayed by the Crooked Man's defense. Beast sided with the Crooked Man for a bit, but ended up on my side.
Hmmm, I felt like I treated Gren as well as you could, mostly didn't have a go at him and didn't rip his arm off but even though TCM was dead he was a bit schizo. I think we did the same thing for Beast but he was full on anti-Bigby.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Megalodon said:
Here's a question then, and something that bugged me a tad. Woodsman can survive having his skull caved in with an axe, Tweedledum shrugs off the heavy beat down you give him (assuming you spare him), yet why does Georgie finds a simple knife to the guts fatal? All three characters are essentially 'human', so I'd assume they have similar lethality thresholds.
I've only read the first thirty or so issues so maybe this is incorrect but they explain in the comics that the more popular they are as a story, the more difficult it is to kill them. They won't die because the mundies won't let them. Hence why Bigby can survive getting shot more times than I can count and Georgie simply needs to get stabbed. The Big Bad Wolf vs... who *is* Georgie supposed to be, anyway? I'm probably going to kick myself when someone tells me but I honestly don't know.
Anyway.
I found the final episode to be pretty good.
Problem is I made the poor decision to play it when I was really tired so I think I missed the kick on the big epiphany as well as many other things, heck, I still don't get it, I'll go back for it though.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Extra-Ordinary said:
who *is* Georgie supposed to be, anyway?
Georgie Porgie. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgie_Porgie] It's where they got Puddin' and Pie from too. His depiction makes a certain amount of sense, considering the rhyme basically portrays him as a pervy cowardly kid.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
All around good stuff. Crooked Man was good with his scheming mastermind deal, Nerissa doing that Nerissa thing, and Bloody Mary's true form is the most unsettling video game design I've seen in recent memory. Off to reread the first 100 issues of Fables over and over until they bring in Cinderella and Boy Blue for season 2

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Megalodon said:
inu-kun said:
For anybody who didn't read the comics, let's say throwing someone alive down the well is far worse than anything they can inflict on them...
More fame and popularity means they're harder to kill. Snow White could probably be shot in the head without dying.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
The Goat Tsar said:
hazabaza1 said:
Zhukov said:
Hmmm, I felt like I treated Gren as well as you could, mostly didn't have a go at him and didn't rip his arm off but even though TCM was dead he was a bit schizo. I think we did the same thing for Beast but he was full on anti-Bigby.
One thing positive that happened between me and Gren happened at the troll funeral and I feel like it was really easy to miss. I mentioned how I hated Crane. Gren liked that and the little "Gren will remember that" message popped up. I didn't think much of it at the time but maybe that had something to do with it.

EDIT: Oh, wait. I didn't read that you killed the Crooked Man. Was that before or after the trial you're talking about? I brought the Crooked Man to trial and threw him down the Witching Well afterwards.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
The Goat Tsar said:
Alleged_Alec said:
I think it's mostly that they should've had a plot in mind from the get-go. Instead, they just muddled around too much. In the first episode, they killed Snow, but then figured that this would probably piss off fans of the comics, so they made that not be so.* The same thing happens in the episode 2 to 3 break, where they figure out that Crane probably should not be the murderer, but just a fucking creep, so they throw over the entire plot once more, making crooked man the big bad. Luckily, they stick with it, but they shift the hatred of the player from him to Mary, which they set up as a foil for bigby and do nothing with for the rest of the episodes.
About the Snow part, I'm pretty sure the plan from the start was to have Snow be alive the whole time. She's alive in the comics, and the Wolf Among Us is a prequel that is considered canon, so killing off on of the main comic characters would be impossible. It's not about the fans being upset, it's about not conflicting with the story in the comic books.
The Walking Dead has shown they have little issue with not following the original material to the tee. There was no reason to expect they would do so here as well.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Denamic said:
More fame and popularity means they're harder to kill. Snow White could probably be shot in the head without dying.
Extra-Ordinary said:
I've only read the first thirty or so issues so maybe this is incorrect but they explain in the comics that the more popular they are as a story, the more difficult it is to kill them. They won't die because the mundies won't let them. Hence why Bigby can survive getting shot more times than I can count and Georgie simply needs to get stabbed. The Big Bad Wolf vs... who *is* Georgie supposed to be, anyway? I'm probably going to kick myself when someone tells me but I honestly don't know.
Fair enough, it would've been nice for the game to mention that at some point. Especially after the game opens with the Woodsman fight, I was thinking 'OK you can't kill fables conventionally, is this murder plot going to revolve around fables being forgotten, and hence dying?'.

Also, if survivability is down to fame, I'd expect Bibgy to resist silver far better, as he's more famous than Woody (multiple stories), so he should be highly resistant to things that should kill werewolves, just as Woody essentially shrugged off an axe to the brain.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Zhukov said:
Gren is still grumpy, but not at Bigby. He just consistently calls for Crooked to either go down the well or be torn apart right there.

Beast mostly keeps out of it, besides a few see-saw comments.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Denamic said:
Megalodon said:
inu-kun said:
Comic spoilers:
Snow does get hit in the head with a sniper rifle and survives. She has a few months of rehabilitation, but she's fine.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Megalodon said:
Denamic said:
Extra-Ordinary said:
Fair enough, it would've been nice for the game to mention that at some point. Especially after the game opens with the Woodsman fight, I was thinking 'OK you can't kill fables conventionally, is this murder plot going to revolve around fables being forgotten, and hence dying?'.

Also, if survivability is down to fame, I'd expect Bibgy to resist silver far better, as he's more famous than Woody (multiple stories), so he should be highly resistant to things that should kill werewolves, just as Woody essentially shrugged off an axe to the brain.
Bigby is a wolf. Like, just a big-ass wolf. His human form is not a glamour; he was turned into a werewolf which makes him able to assume a human form. So he's kinda a reverse werewolf? Werehuman? Anyway, werewolves are weak to silver in the stories, which in turn makes Bigby weak to silver. That he's both a werewolf and the big bad wolf probably also explains his enormous strength, though that's just guessing on my part.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I thought the way they handled Bloody Mary's death was pretty average. Not to mention, while I love the idea of Bigby being a giant fuckin' wolf, as well as his ability to blow bitches into walls, that whole action scene seemed a little too long. And the final cliffhanger was incredibly annoying. It wasn't as clear as it could have been to the point where I had to look up online what the hell was going on. Then there was the fact that it ended up on a cliffhanger. I was really hoping this was going to have a fixed ending and that Wolf Among Us was going to be a single event. I much prefer the idea of a single game done well than turning it into a series which ultimately sacrifices a lot of your choices simply to make the sequel a game instead of ten games with ten different stories (Kind of like The Witcher 2, but more. And better.

Aside from those, ripping off the Crooked Man's head felt goddamn great, and the ending was great. I wish we knew what happened to Crane.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Denamic said:
Bigby is a wolf. Like, just a big-ass wolf. His human form is not a glamour; he was turned into a werewolf which makes him able to assume a human form. So he's kinda a reverse werewolf? Werehuman? Anyway, werewolves are weak to silver in the stories, which in turn makes Bigby weak to silver. That he's both a werewolf and the big bad wolf probably also explains his enormous strength, though that's just guessing on my part.

Yes, but my point is, even in fairy tales human characters are susceptible to deadly things, like axes in the brain. Yet Woody didn't even need to bandage his head for more than a day. So I still find it somewhat strange that a silver bullet put Bigby down pretty much like you'd expect in any werewolf story, while an comparably deadly assault didn't even leave a mark on Woody.