The World Does Not Hate Captain America

andrew2696

Nov 19, 2009
Xzi said:
IMHO First Class has been the best superhero movie by far this year. Captain America was also pretty good, though. Thor was a straight-up meh, and you can forget it if you think I'm ever going to pay to see Green Lantern.

Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
He doesn't have any range. He's the same offbeat comedian in every role he plays. Which is exactly why he was the wrong guy to be in all these action flicks. Chances are that he has no respect for the source material and so just views the roles as a chance for some easy extra cash. Thus the reason he accepts one after the other so eagerly, despite having been highly criticized for the previous ones.

From the interviews I've seen he always talks about the comic book roles with respect and how as a kid he read a lot of comics. Maybe he just seems really sincere to me and either he's good at lying in an interview, or he does take this seriously. Yeah I know it's arbitrary to defend a rich famous person but I think he get's a lot of unnecessary hate.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
While the modern world may or may not be a fan of America, no what the modern world can still agree on hating? Nazis. Shouldn't really be a surprise that anything based on Nazi bashing goes over well enough.

Also, it's just a superhero movie, I don't think that people going to see Marvel movies are all that concerned with such nonsense anyways.

Folix

Mar 25, 2011
Nouw said:
South Korea? I'm sure he knows about the Korean War.

I'm assuming you were meant to say North.
I doubt that Cap will get ANY release in north Korea, changed name or not. what with the crazy dictatorship and censorship and all that jazz

Personaly i think the success of this movie is more to do with the fact it is a very well made movie; with great casting and direction, than it is to do with the charchter of Cap. although thats deffinately a part of it. but for the layman Cap himself won't be the main draw

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Folix said:
I doubt that Cap will get ANY release in north Korea, changed name or not. what with the crazy dictatorship and censorship and all that jazz

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I saw it last week with a few friends and we all loved it. In Portugal there might be a few nay-sayers that dislike Cap, but i think that brand recognition makes up for the few people who wont see it because it has the name "America" in the title. I read Captain America comics since i was a kid and i was looking forward to this. Chris Evans was great as Steve Rogers and i really liked the tone of the movie. Overall i cant say there´s an anti-America movement here, so it´s all good for Marvel. Bring on The Avengers!

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Haven't seen it, might do so later.

God fucking damnit, why are there no Middle-Eastern superheroes?
The Desolator from Red Alert 2 doesn't count. He's evil beyond all fucking measure. Even if his puns are funny.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I'm from the UK and thought that it was an awful movie, though not because it was overly patriotic but because it felt like it was written by Capcom and the action scenes were total nonsense.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Just saw the Captain tonight, a great film I thought-though the Nazis from Wolfenstein had cooler equipment and could aim too.....

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
"...as well as the continuing power of 3D at the box office," said Paramount Pictures International president Andrew Cripps.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah. Never underestimate the power of a migraine.

Cinema is dead.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ugh, 3D. I'm not surprised to be honest with you. Once word spread that he wasn't a douche bag smack talking moron (exactly like his comic book counterpart), the movie should be able to do well based on the merits that it is a great film. Also, they would never understand this, but he doesn't stand for anything the modern day US Government would do, like myself. He is a true patriot, a patriot to the ideals of our society, not to the broken US government.

Also, not to nitpick, but what do people think South Korea and Russia are? Neither is actually Communist anymore. Russia adopted a new Constitution in 1993, declaring they are no longer aligned with that particular view of thought, and South Korea isn't Communist at all, it never was since it existed.

But, I digress and recognize that few people pay as much attention to this stuff as I do.

Back OT: I'm not surprised it did well. It was a good film, the direction was great, it was well written and the execution was absolutely perfect. I am surprised in all honesty that there was an expectation of it doing poorly because the character is named Captain America. I would arrive first day to see a Union Jack movie, or a Colossus movie, or even a Black Panther movie. All of these are international super heroes from England, Russia, and Africa (the fictional African nation of Wakanda) respectively.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The_ModeRazor said:
Haven't seen it, might do so later.

God fucking damnit, why are there no Middle-Eastern superheroes?
The Desolator from Red Alert 2 doesn't count. He's evil beyond all fucking measure. Even if his puns are funny.
There absolutely are my friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Middle_Eastern_superheroes

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
It is a little bit of both actually. Put Ryan in a role that he can work with and study he's good to go. Rush him and create a role that is a mishmash of traits with no real character and even he stumbles.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
Ryan Reynolds is like Nicolas Cage in a way, they only do one role good.
for Nicolas cage that is batshit insane.
for Ryan its a deadpan snarker who annoys his opponents into a blind rage.

Voration

Jan 13, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Greg Tito said:
Only three nations opted to use the shorter title of The First Avenger - Russia, Ukraine and South Korea - but that's kind of expected given the political leanings of those countries. (As my father-in-law would say, "Screw those commie pinkos."
First of all, Russia. Unfortunate. That's not what we want out public image to be, is it? I mean, yeah, it probably wouldn't do so well in Russia under the title "Captain America", but removing that part is just... kinda shifty.

Second of all, why the South Korea remark? Their political leanings are really pro-American as far as they go in that region.
I was stepping up to support South Korea but you beat me to it.

The S.Koreans have to be really careful since their Northern cousins are on their doorstep with nuclear bombs and a 9 and a half million strong army! Give them a break :/

As for Captain America, I haven't seen it yet but I've liked most of the other Marvel films and I've heard good things here in the UK.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Can't help you with unhinged, though. Maybe in Captain America 3, the Super Soldier serum can cause him to comb his hair forward in an emo fringe and tango.
That's not unhinged. That's... I don't even know.

Spawn is unhinged. I prefer anti-heroes.
Yeah, I was just joking because of Spider-Man 3 and the whole "I'm evil now, so I'll imitate Saturday Night Fever and REALLY enjoy pie" thing.

Spawn would make a really good movie, given the current them of "make everything dark and gritty." They just need to keep Sid the Sloth out of it.

...Ah, Hell, it'd probably be directed by Michael Bay starring Shia LaBeef.

Druss the Legend

Jun 6, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"We are very pleased with Captain America's international results so far, which clearly demonstrate the worldwide popularity of the iconic lead character as well as the continuing power of 3D at the box office," said Paramount Pictures International president Andrew Cripps.
The only reason I saw it in 3D, was because that's all the cinema bloody offered!!! :mad:

But anyway i still enjoyed the movie.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Cogwheel said:
You know, someone needs to make a new superhero and call him Captain Lieutenant or something, just to confuse people.
"Master Chief"?
This has to stop! Master Chief Petty Officer, or MCPO is an actual rank in the US navy. They're called Master Chiefs for short. The Halo character is called Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, but he needed a nickname so friends just call him Chief.

I actually enjoyed Green Lantern more than Thor. Green Lantern had awful trailers though, I wouldn't have seen it at all if it wasn't for free tickets. I expected to hate it and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great, but how many movies about guys in spandex are? First Class was pretty sweet though...

My complaint about Captain America isn't about the Captain or America, but Red Skull and Hydra. I felt "Agent" Schmidt was pretty dull as a villain, and Hydra...I'm all for evil Nazi experiments, but the Hydra tech was just ridiculous.

And on Reynolds, how many actors do you really see playing more than one or two characters over and over again? In many movies he's in, Reynolds is the only thing I actually enjoy watching. And he does have a couple of genuinely good films under his belt.