The worst video game ending ever

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
DrownedAmmet said:
My real answer for me would be Dark Souls 1.
Once you make your choice the game just ends and it starts you off back at the beginning. I just sat there thinking "I went through all that and I don't even get a cut scene or anything!?
As much as I love Dark Souls, I have to agree here. I appreciate the more mysterious, hands-off approach to world-building and story development that the games offer, but I wish they would be just A LITTLE BIT less mysterious in the endings. Both Dark Souls and Dark Souls II left me feeling anticlimaxed when the credits rolled. Then I have to read wikis for a bit to instill some depth and meaning into the conclusion. Then I find myself wondering "Man, just a few more lines of dialogue here and a short cut scene there and it would've been perfect!"

An Inferior

Jun 7, 2010
I hated the ending to "Prince of Persia"

You "undo" all you worked for in the game!
and it dragged on for so long...
[youtube]FhsN8aaA6ZA[/youtube]

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
An Inferior said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Antichamber. Just... Antichamber. Which sucks because it was such a cool and sometimes even inspiring game too.
What type of ending were you looking for in Antichamber?
Anything that didn't drop me right to the credits and then exit right out of the game?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
I know everyone would think i would go for the mass effect 3 endings...but those atleast had some production value behind them.

So i will have to go with aliens colonial marines... not only was the last boss defeated by running around behind crates to push a button to jettison the boss out of a hangar bay in midair instead of having an awesome battle to the death with the alien queen... but they actually had the audacity to hint at a sequel as if the game actually deserved one.

The whole game was an utter disapointment and the ending was just the cherry ontop of the shit sundae.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Blitsie said:
I'm gonna go out and pick Metal Gear Solid 5's ending, so much so that it pretty much killed off my love for the franchise.

So the whole theme of this game is the downfall of Big Boss, which is huge as his more 'evil' actions practically set up the whole second half of the goddamn franchise. So you keep playing with this inner hope that the events finally transpire which lead to Big Boss becoming ev-oh hey turns out you're not Big Boss, you're a random medic who shielded him from the rocket blast in Ground Zeroes and got plastic surgery and hypnotized to look and act like him.

Literally EVERYTHING, all those 100+ hours of stuff you did in the game, amounts to nothing as instead of witnessing whats supposed to be some of the biggest moments in the entire franchise, you find out your whole existence is to just draw attention away from the real Big Boss so he can do the actual important stuff, and this just randomly happens and the game ends abruptly after, with anything story related being presented through text and audio files afterwards, as in, the cool stuff you thought you were going to experience through gameplay you have to read and listen to.

After all these years, and going through all the MGS games, and knowing this is Kojima's final rodeo with the series; for it all to end on a note like this? I don't even have words

Jesus Konami, I can't even.
You kinda gotta feel sorry for Skull Face, for one, he seems to be the only guy who knows he's in a Metal Gear game, and also that he spent years waiting to give this big speech to Big Boss and ends up giving it to the wrong guy who doesn't even really understand what's going on properly.

I'm pretty sure a /lot/ of those audiotapes were supposed to be cutscenes as well, a lot of them are in the trailers without audio static and feel much more in line with Metal Gear than what was in the game.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
FalloutJack said:
No no no... This sort of thing deserves really bad games with incredible build-up to sink us low into crappy town, and harping on Mass Effect again just won't cut it.

Once again, Exhibit A must be none other than FF8.

Bad game with bad characters with bad writing while using a bad system...but it was given such advertising and hyping that you'd think it was going to knock the socks off of the previous and still well-loved game.

But it didn't. It sucks. And the ending is about as frankly poor, with the only high-note of it being that it's THE END.
Did you just play that game or something? Because it seems like every post of yours that I've read for a week has been bashing FF8.
Shoggoth2588 said:
Remember how Fable 2 puts you in a small room with the main villain, your three allies and you have him at your mercy? He's talking about his motivation and what he would have done if you hadn't stopped him...then Reaver shoots him mid-sentence and makes a dumb quip? Thanks Reaver but if I reload and attack myself he...just...dies in one hit anyway. Then totally-not-Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2 stands in the middle of the room and is all like, "hey, you want a preview of Fable 3? Also have this outfit that's totally going to figure into Fable 3."
This. Fable 2 is the game that turned me from a bright eyed, eager child into the bitter, cynical wretch you see before you.

Hmm, I think it's time to re-read Shamus's dissection of the plot again for catharsis.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Mechwarrior 3 had kind of a crappy ending.
Mechwarrior games seem to always have that problem.

By the final level of Mechwarrior 4 I had a Madcat II with triple Gauss Rifles. Thanks to MW4 physics it could knock any other mech over if all three connected at the same time.

The final mission has you squaring off against a group of Dire Wolfs, actually armed with more guns than the game would normally allow. But big, slow targets. That final level quite quickly devolves into a game of why can't you stand up?

But really it's the end game of Mass Effect 3. Leaving aside the story, after Mass Effect 1's exploration of Ilos followed by the assault on the Presidium Tower and Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission it was a spectacularly lazy piece of game design.

Run round in circles whilst a timer ticks down, then press forward until the game ends. No boss, no drama, almost no gameplay.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Saelune said:
And it is a shitty ending cause you don't do anything. The game might as well ended when you close the huge gate. The final battle is just running around a ruined Imperial City. In Morrowind you alone destroy the Heart, even if you don't actually directly kill Dagoth Ur. And though you are aided in the final fight against Alduin, and its basically every dragon fight ever, atleast you actually fight him.

Oblivion you just deliver Martin to the center so he can steal the glory in a cutscene.
I'll agree with you that vanilla Oblivion's ending lacked the Big Damn Hero ending that prior games/expansions like Morrowind or Bloodmoon had. I felt they more than made up for it [footnote]and in the process, circumvented the reasoning for this type of ending; possibly this was a response to Oblivion lacking the "big fight" ending.[/footnote] with The Shivering Isles though, as you end up a Daedric Lord after nut-punching another Daedric Lord, Jyggalag, mano-a-mano. That said, I think you off a bit about who the real hero was. Martin was just a hand grenade. You found him, you molded him and you delivered him to defeat the legit, undiluted, oh-fuck-we're-all-dead form of Mehrunes Dagon. In Bloodmoon, you only fight an avatar of Hircine, and its a bad-ass. It's not hard to believe that it would be nigh impossible to try to toe-to-toe Mehrunes Dagon, hence the creation of the walking, talking, Holy Hand Grenade you use to blow him up.

But I can see how it could be disappointing or viewed as anti-climatic.

I also liked how your actions were viewed in later games. One of the things I like seeing is how the history of TES changes via the books in the game. Its fun to see how history gets most things right, but some things wrong, and embellishes some parts. Like real life history, its not as accurate as we would imagine it to be, and reflects the perception of the writer.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
There's only one right answer to this: Ghost 'n Goblins. First time you finish the game, you'll be transported back to the start and you have to do it again. And when you'll do it again, you'll be rewarded with very badly written and spelled text.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:
canadamus_prime said:
Saelune said:
canadamus_prime said:
Saelune said:
canadamus_prime said:
Saelune said:
I don't know what the worst ending is, but an ending that really annoys me is the ending of Oblivion. You spend the whole game doing all the work, then Martin...dies, which causes Akatosh to Deus Ex Mehrunes Dagon and Martin gets all the credit.

In Morrowind and Skyrim you get the credit. Though Morrowind did it better because afterwards everyone goes "OMG You're the Nereverine! OMG OMG!"
I actually didn't mind the ending to Oblivion. After all you are still heralded as a champion for the role you did play even if you didn't take down the big bad yourself and you get rewarded with the Dragon Armour and what not. Also there was the cool ending cutscene. Now Skyrim on the other hand, that was a disappointment. The battle with Alduin was a let down and there was no ending cutscene, just Parthonax going "Good job you beat Alduin."
I just really hate Martin. Skyrim made it worse since people refer to him as "The Greatest Septim"...yeah no. ALL HE DID WAS DIE! That was his greatest achievement.

Maybe TESVI will make me bitter about Skyrim's ending. I wont say it was great, but atleast there is no glory hog.

Atleast at the end of Morrowind, there is that sense of things will be better now...the blight is averted, huzzah. (Ironically things only got worse for Morrowind though, but it took till Skyrim for that to be clear)
That's not entirely true. He turned into a dragon, banished Dagon, then turned into a statue.
He dies, releasing the divine blood of Akatosh which banishes Dagon then turns into a statue.
*shrug* Either way he doesn't *just* die.
At best, he basically pulled the fire alarm so someone who can actually do something would come and do something. I wouldn't credit whoever pulled the fire alarm for actually putting the fire out though.

And it is a shitty ending cause you don't do anything. The game might as well ended when you close the huge gate. The final battle is just running around a ruined Imperial City. In Morrowind you alone destroy the Heart, even if you don't actually directly kill Dagoth Ur. And though you are aided in the final fight against Alduin, and its basically every dragon fight ever, atleast you actually fight him.

Oblivion you just deliver Martin to the center so he can steal the glory in a cutscene.
True, but I'll still take Oblivion over Skyrim because at least in Oblivion I got an ending cutscene so it didn't feel like just another quest.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I forget what the game is called but the ending just cuts to some European music video. It was some neat third person shooter where your like a cyborg robot with powers infiltrating some establishment for purposes -- a lot of fun, amazing game in that respect -- then you kill the final boss and some crappy song that has nothing to do with the game starts to play. In full. And it's not even a music video with a story. It's just guys playing their instruments with the camera moving around.

::edit::
Good, I found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAL9fwNX8B0

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Alpha Protocol - after a game with a nice plot system and lots of options (even if they weren't utilised to their potential), you wind up shooting up the not-CIA for fairly predictable reasons. Half of the characters you meet have nothing to do with anything, and the plot kind of just gets let go...

I would say Dragon Age 2, but the entire plot was a little on the tenuous side.

Oh, and kind of cheating, but in Until Dawn, where I'm not sure if this happens in every decision set, but
it turns out that the guy hosting the party was rigging the whole thing. Which would be a clever twist, if I hadn't had a couple of people die whilst that bullshit was going on.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Catnip1024 said:
Oh, and kind of cheating, but in Until Dawn, where I'm not sure if this happens in every decision set, but
it turns out that the guy hosting the party was rigging the whole thing. Which would be a clever twist, if I hadn't had a couple of people die whilst that bullshit was going on.
Well, some people can die during the first half of the game, though you can save them all, but those aren't actually killed by the host, they're killed by the Wendigos. Not entirely sure how I felt about the game suddenly going "lol munsters", but it was better than the revenge plot, especially once you notice that the killer doesn't actually kill anyone, he just kidnaps them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
Buddy, I've been at this for years! So far, it's just been the best example of a really bad game. You've only been catching recent snippets of it. My rants are legendary about this.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:
Not Mass Effect 3, that's for sure. On the scale of bad endings, that's not even in the same ballpark, but everyone gets all emotional about it so *shrug*.

Anyway, lets see... Deus Ex: Human Revolution had a pretty shit ending after a pretty shit final level. Going from the Tyrant Base and all it's challenges to a level where all your weapons and stealth skills are completely unnecessary, a poorly designed final boss (that makes no sense lore-wise anyway) and then getting shuffled into a room to press 1 of 4 buttons to watch completely unrelated cinematics (that literally include stock footage!) while Adam narrates was... jesus, who thought that was a good idea? In any way?
I'll disagree with you onass Effect 3. It was just another choice you made. It shouldn't have been a choice. It should have been the result of your actions throughout the trilogy. That's what pissed me off about it. That was also the only one I never replayed because the ending killed all ready value for me. I will still replay the other ones though.

But I will absolutely second Deus Ex: HR. It's still a game I replay every couple of years despite that ending because of how well crafted the gameplay is. But that ending. It wasn't even the ending. It was most of the last level was completely out of touch from the remainder of the game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Aquaria, because they're never making another one, and the story could have just ended before the true ending without making me sad inside.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Smithnikov said:
trunkage said:
So, we have heroes where this is a problem too. I mean, we have video evidence of astronauts landing on the moon and people don't believe them. Other don't care. Just because you do something doesn't mean you should get praised. Just be an employer or employee for five mintures
So, despite you being known as the one who saved the souls of an entire people AND also being someone who has the ruler of the city's personal favor, it makes sense for a soldier to harass and mock you over a pastry? Are YOU going to talk shit to someone who can pull a sword and kill you right in the street and it will be ORDERED to be overlooked by the Jarl?

Thank the heavens for that mod. The guards only talk shit to you if you're an unknown, which is the way it should be.
Who said you did all those things. No one living went with you. There were no TV cameras there.
Its like Artorias in Oolacile. Everyone thought that he did all the work and saved the world. But it wasn't true. Elizabeth lied to make her truth come out. Its like saying Steve Jobs built Apple or Bill Gates MS. Yes they started and we have clear proof they did some work. But they've had thousands helping them.

Just because you say you did something does make that true. Photo or it didn't happen

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
erttheking said:
I wasn't fond of the ending to The World Ends With You. I mean the characters got their happy ending and I felt that they earned it, but everything else was just BS. A lot of unanswered questions, a confusing and nonsensical twist for every one I thought was interesting, I grew to truly despise a character I feel like I was supposed to like (Though to be fair my patience with Joshua was waning for a long time), and the game expected me to basically replay it again to get documents that filled in the holes.

Fuck. That.

That and...I don't know, I just feel like things ended way too abruptly and too many characters suddenly got dropped off the face of the Earth.
did you ever complete all of the aftergame bonus objectives which explain what happened?

also you hating Joshua is entirely intentional, he is the true largest turd of the entire game