The Worst Video Game Plots

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Battlefield: Bad Company

I felt desecrated when I realized I was going around hunting for mercenary gold bars.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
I'm surprised Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy hasn't been mentioned yet.

Other contenders for the title of 'worst video game plots'?
- Guild Wars Factions: The bad guy, Shiro Tagachi, is some sort of death god, who killed your party in a matter of seconds, at the end of the first mainland mission. Then, for some vague reason, he WANTS to become mortal, only to be killed right after that again. Why would you want to become mortal if you're a god in the first place, sheesh.

-Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Yeah... no story at all, really. You're Luso, some dumb kid who can't go on vacation straight away, his teacher tells him to clean up the library or something. He sees a book that's only half-written, and he starts writing in it himself. As soon as he does that, he gets teleported into Ivalice, where he gets attacked by a giant bird. He gets saved by a clan, joins it, tries to figure out why he ended up there and how to get out. Eventually he'll figure this out (after a few quests), that the only way he can leave the book, would be to... DO MORE QUESTS, YAY. There just isn't a real plot. There's a few guys trying to do... something with some stone, but if I just look at the quest roster, I can see I'm 4 quests away from the storyline ending, and I can say that NOTHING has happened yet. Just that Cid got shot (but is healthy again in the meantime, duh) by some gang that's up to no good. What their plans are, I still don't know, nor do I care.

Frybird post=9.68478.630896 said:
Also, just about every Beat em' Up...why won't they realize that no one cares about the backgrounds of the Characters?
Someone here hasn't played Guilty Gear yet, dun dun dun (Bridget. 'nough said.)

... trying to remember some more now, as I study...

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Now that I think about it, GH III's plot was bad.
It was pretty much made to have the last battle make sense. But the other guitar battles didn't make sense.
Such as why the hell is Slash in pseudo-Fort Knox?

billy-j

Dec 16, 2007
True Crime: Streets of LA, it starts out as a generic LA cop style story, fair enough, but then you get these immortal clone guys, then you fight a dragon? WTF!

mrnelsby

Aug 6, 2008
Metal Gear Solid series... the worst thing about it is that it THINKS it is a "good" plot, but it is so convoluted, non-sensical, and above all poorly written that it just makes my eyes roll when I play any of the modern games.

Edit: I do have to give props to Too Human (though I've only played the demo). Any game which sports a character saying "it is a good day to die" definitely deserves mention when it comes to bad writing... as for its plot, unfortunately, I'll never know because the demo was so horrible, I'll never, ever play through this, not even if it was free... As if the whole Norse Mythology thing was horribly slammed like a square peg into a round hole, they then added cyber-space matrix style... yeah... great. I can see the f'in suits in the board room selling this crap, "Dude, you know the Matrix? Well, how about we do the Matrix, but with like Thor and shit?... Yeah man, The kids, they dig the Matrix. Call down to the developers and tell them to put that together!"

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
What even WAS the plot in rainbow six vegas 2? All i knew was that there was ambiguous terrorists in las vegas then some guy from the first game turned out to be evil

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
mjhhiv post=9.68478.630039 said:
Whenever one of these pops up, my answer is always the same -

Two Worlds.
I bought the limited edition of that (shudder), though if you play it for more than 3 hours you become addicted.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Reaperman Wompa post=9.68478.631107 said:
mjhhiv post=9.68478.630039 said:
Whenever one of these pops up, my answer is always the same -

Two Worlds.
I bought the limited edition of that (shudder), though if you play it for more than 3 hours you become addicted.
Truth! I play that game as an RPG Parody!

*Boar charges your character*
"Ah, Bandits!"

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
I'm going to go on a limb and go saying Golden Sun 1 and 2.

The games themselves are very enjoyable, it's just the way things end up plotwise.

So your entire family is killed by two strangers who wants to control alchemy, only to be stopped by the mythical guardian who saves you and your friends. Fine, you go after them for revenge and to stop them from reaching their overly smart plan to become all powerful by activating 4 towers that will break the seal of magic.

Then in the second one, you find those two strangers had another pair of companion strangers who also want to bring alchemy to the world so they can become all powerful, but now they do it with a vendetta since you killed the previous pair. Fine again, you go again repeating the first game just to save the world. Only this time, you find you are actually helping the world being destroyed by not allowing alchemy to be released, which the world needs to not collapse into a never ending void, that apparently being the true goal of the 4 strangers you end up killing before realizing that. Yay you.

So this is all fine and dandy for me but this is when body waste hits the fan:

When you do find that out you were being the bad guy in some manner of speech, the guardian who saved you in the first game tries to prevent you from releasing alchemy since well, you still want to be a good guy and save the world. How does he does this? By unleashing a three headed dragon (Which is by logic, stronger than the two headed dragon you fought as a final boss in the first game. Oh you quirky game designers and your originality) that you discover to be your transformed parents that you thought you were dead, but weren't since they were saved and kept in some kind of magic cryogenic stasis just in case the guardian needed to turn them into dragons and send them as final bosses against someone. But now they're dead for sure because you killed them when they were dragons!

Still with me? Ok, so despite your parent killing frenzy, you release alchemy and save the world and as a surprise reward, everyone you thought was dead, included your ruined village is brought back to life and existence by the same guardian who tried to stop you. So you basically came a full circle ever since the beginning of the game, only you are stronger now and saved the world.
So what was the point of the guardian messing with you? Well, he wanted you to go through a world wide journey, killing millions of beings, 4 of them being just people who wanted to save their village (Which funny enough, end up not being revived. Thank you guardian for your lack of universal mercy), 3 being your and your friend's parents, all of this so you learned to be more responsible once the world was restored and magic was brought back onto the world.

So...good parenting isn't enough now? And how does giving a lesson to 8 kids help with teaching responsibility to the world so it won't spoil itself once magic becomes accessible to everyone? Is he going to repeat the same cruel task for all the thousands of people in that world? Jesus Christ!

Oh and there's actually a bad guy who wanted to be all powerful with alchemy, but he ends up not having any influence in the game whatsoever since at the end, without even fighting him, he seems to get so soaked up in power that he turns too heavy for the mountain he is standing on, thus becoming trapped under thousands of tons of rubble. Wow, that was menacing.

Llasnad

Aug 6, 2008
Divinegon post=9.68478.631377 said:
I'm going to go on a limb and go saying Golden Sun 1 and 2.

The games themselves are very enjoyable, it's just the way things end up plotwise.

So your entire family is killed by two strangers who wants to control alchemy, only to be stopped by the mythical guardian who saves you and your friends. Fine, you go after them for revenge and to stop them from reaching their overly smart plan to become all powerful by activating 4 towers that will break the seal of magic.

Then in the second one, you find those two strangers had another pair of companion strangers who also want to bring alchemy to the world so they can become all powerful, but now they do it with a vendetta since you killed the previous pair. Fine again, you go again repeating the first game just to save the world. Only this time, you find you are actually helping the world being destroyed by not allowing alchemy to be released, which the world needs to not collapse into a never ending void, that apparently being the true goal of the 4 strangers you end up killing before realizing that. Yay you.

So this is all fine and dandy for me but this is when body waste hits the fan:

When you do find that out you were being the bad guy in some manner of speech, the guardian who saved you in the first game tries to prevent you from releasing alchemy since well, you still want to be a good guy and save the world. How does he does this? By unleashing a three headed dragon (Which is by logic, stronger than the two headed dragon you fought as a final boss in the first game. Oh you quirky game designers and your originality) that you discover to be your transformed parents that you thought you were dead, but weren't since they were saved and kept in some kind of magic cryogenic stasis just in case the guardian needed to turn them into dragons and send them as final bosses against someone. But now they're dead for sure because you killed them when they were dragons!

Still with me? Ok, so despite your parent killing frenzy, you release alchemy and save the world and as a surprise reward, everyone you thought was dead, included your ruined village is brought back to life and existence by the same guardian who tried to stop you. So you basically came a full circle ever since the beginning of the game, only you are stronger now and saved the world.
So what was the point of the guardian messing with you? Well, he wanted you to go through a world wide journey, killing millions of beings, 4 of them being just people who wanted to save their village (Which funny enough, end up not being revived. Thank you guardian for your lack of universal mercy), 3 being your and your friend's parents, all of this so you learned to be more responsible once the world was restored and magic was brought back onto the world.

So...good parenting isn't enough now? And how does giving a lesson to 8 kids help with teaching responsibility to the world so it won't spoil itself once magic becomes accessible to everyone? Is he going to repeat the same cruel task for all the thousands of people in that world? Jesus Christ!

Oh and there's actually a bad guy who wanted to be all powerful with alchemy, but he ends up not having any influence in the game whatsoever since at the end, without even fighting him, he seems to get so soaked up in power that he turns too heavy for the mountain he is standing on, thus becoming trapped under thousands of tons of rubble. Wow, that was menacing.
Not trying to be mean or anything, but that is the worst plot synopsis for Golden Sun I have ever seen. But then again, everyone reads and hears something different, so I guess I shouldnt be surprised that you took something completely different away form those games then I did.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
Llasnad post=9.68478.631402 said:
Not trying to be mean or anything, but that is the worst plot synopsis for Golden Sun I have ever seen. But then again, everyone reads and hears something different, so I guess I shouldnt be surprised that you took something completely different away form those games then I did.
Oh? I suppose I did. I didn't mention any of the in between, but like I said, that is not the point. Plus, again, like I said, I loved the game and only criticize about it, some years after playing it in same manner someone criticizes an old movie they enjoyed.

Of course, a check on Wikipedia verifies that my synopsis is correct in the basic facts: Golden Sun [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sun] and Golden Sun: The Lost Age [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sun:_The_Lost_Age]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Along with all the games I have played mentioned above (which is actually quite a few :( ) gotta add Alone in the Dark (the latest one)

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Adding supernatural elements in games that don't deal with them centrally. Repeated in a WWII game whose title I can't remember, and Final Fight Streetwise.

type_zero

Mar 30, 2008
Breedbate post=9.68478.630133 said:
I disagree. I think 9 is the best, by far. :D

Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X-2, every Silent Hill after the first, Resident Evil 4 (though that's very biased, since I believe that Resident Evil should, all around, take a turn towards a more pedestrian type thing, with the player playing a victim who actually must survive, hence earning their title as Survival Horror), all the Elder Scroll Series (though I mostly made up the plots myself, I think a LOT of writing needs to be put into that world to make it more in depth), Alone in the Dark, and that pretty much sums it up.
Hey Silent Hill 2 had by far the best plot for any game, don't blame it if it was just to complicated for you to understand.

Silent Hill 1 had probably the worst plot in the series, after SH orgins that is.

I'll agree to the rest.

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
what no one has said Super Smash Bros. Brawl? I mean come on, what in the world was going on during the subspace emissary? I mean it made no sense, but i suppose it was only there to allow all the characters to team up.

The Other Steve

Jun 24, 2008
I enjoyed Golden Sun's plot. I thought it was a very well-polished game. There was a severe lack of drama though; amusingly, I think this stems from that all of the characters were believable and had human motivations. They resembled people I might meet in class or something, not tough-guys or angsty supermen, and I really liked that.

I was not only beat to mentioning Bad Dudes, I was beat to it TWICE.

Agreed that Sonic's plots are the worst. Also, Devil May Cry was severely awkward at times. Any game that focuses too much on the love story, also; I appreciate a good romance, but not when I'm CONTROLLING the male character.