"There is nothing wrong being racist"

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SquallTheBlade said:
No, no, I didn't say that, but a good friend of mine did.

So, this friend watched American History X yesterday, a movie which tells about dangers of racism and what it can cause. Today he said something about the movie: "Best parts where those where niggers were killed"
I was shocked... I told him that the movie was supposed to be against racism. After that he said "Well I'm a racist and there is nothing wrong about being racist. I don't like black people"

Of course I started arguing against it, but he just got angry and said that being racist is his choise and I can't start whining about it to him.

But the thing is, he has had a black friend and he has been with one of my black friends. So I asked him "But wasn't she a nice girl?" (referring to my black friend). He responded "Yeah, but she wasn't foreigner", "So you dont like foreigner people?" "Yeah, but most of them are black", "So what about that chinese guy just 2 doors away from us?"(The friend is also my roommate), "Oh yeah, I dont like chinese people either"

I started arguing that you can't judge people just for their skin colour or where they come from, but I could see how he were getting angry so I stopped. He gets angry very easily and I don't want that to happen.

I don't know if I should punch him to the face, laugh at him or just cry because there really are people who think like that. Here you don't really meet any racist people. Yes we might say something racist but it's always said in a sarcastic way so we don't really mean it(Or atleast thats what I do). But my friend is serious...

So, do you have any racist friends and what do you think about them? Personally, I think I can't look at my friend the same way anymore...

I have mixed opinions on the subject given how some of my relatives are.

To be honest I think there is a lot of reactive racism going on right now. In general racism has been dead as a mainstream phenomena in the US for a while. The white majority generally being extremely tolerant and having worked tirelessly to pretty much put that spectre to rest.

The problem is though that outside of the mainstream US culture racism is alive and well. The central philosophies and cultures of most asian countries, especially China and Japan, are incredibly racist, as are those from The Middle East, and South and Central America. A common arguement today made by many minorities when questioned about things like "Latin Power" Bumper Stickers, T-shirts, etc... are that they aren't racist, they are merely pro-whatever race they are... and really political correctness means that as long as they are a minority this isn't questioned. The same can be said of the outlook and attitudes that lead to segregated communities like Chinatown districts and the like.

With all the Black Power, Latin Power, Asian Master Race stuff, aggressive pushes by Middle Easterners especially during a time of crisis, and similar things it's impossible to ignore the racial divides no matter what your personal philosophy might be. Today when you have so many racial lines being drawn by minorities your starting to see the white majority reacting pretty negatively to it.

It's like this, if you ask some guy with a "Latin Power" logo if he's racist he'll say "nah, but my race is better and I support it as such". A point of view which scarily is overlooked and let go, but is no real differant than some Yahoo decades ago doing the same thing in the name of "White Power".

Needless to say when you have this kind of thing going on as a constant societal issue it leads to tensions, not only because of whites not liking it, but because of minority groups not liking each other either. Clashes between Blacks, Latinos, and Asians are both frequent and exceedingly nasty, but tend not to get much press when racially motivated. Chinatown districts can be paticularly nasty when defending their sanctity from outsiders.

The problem of course is that the white majority ties it's own hands in dealing with these problems because of the self-taught perception that if we step in and say decide to step on these groups of people to quash the racism, we ourselves would thus be the bad guys. Our hands being tied by white guilt so to speak while we allow problems to continue to get worse because we're unwilling to basically enforce the same policies on everyone. Right now for example it's a big deal if a black family has a problem moving into a white neighborhood, but if a white family wants to move into Chinatown and has problems that's not treated the same way, and even off the issue of whites simply dealing with blacks and latinos moving into each others unofficial neighborhoods is a big deal. A lot of gang violence and such has gone down due to the wrong kinds of people wanting to move onto the wrong street.

In the end it comes down to the increasingly valid question of "why should I like (insert group other than your own here), when they don't like me? treat me like crap, and broadcast themselves as a superior master race". Sure every one of those things could have been said about old school white supremacists, and it was wrong and a problem then, just like it is now. If anything I think we're seeing the return of racism to the US in a new form that has little or nothing to do with the majority.

Of course then again as people have pointed out, whites will no longer be the majority in the USA in a few decades. I think a lot of people overlook this as well. With the attitudes I've seen from a lot of Latinos and such I very much expect to see a problem with a majorly racist majority again, but that's probably long enough down the road (beyond the simple numbers) where the next generation is going to experience dealing with the brunt of it, especially if we continue to ignore these social problems as too touchy.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I think there is plenty wrong with being racist personally, but if you don't act on it, then it really doesn't cause much harm I don't think. This is why old people being racist doesn't really bother me much anyway. Systemically, it isn't good, but they are old and close to kicking it and don't have much of an effect on the system anyway, as far as I can see.

Shame your friend is that way though. He sounds like a jackass. If I had a friend who said something so horrible, they wouldn't be hanging with me for much longer. It really is hard to believe that in this day and age, someone would revel in the violence portrayed in American History X, as though anything about it was portrayed as being positive, in any way at all. Talk about missing the point.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
People can THINK whatever the fuck they want. If they want to hate blacks with a burning passion, let them, that's their business. They can talk about it all they want, there not hurting anyone. Things start going wrong when they ACT on their thoughts. When "I hate blacks" turns into "Lets lynch someone", they've crossed the line. Until then, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Del Spaig

Jan 26, 2012
While I personally try very hard not to judge people who I have not met, I do feel compelled to congratulate the OP on a rather stellar trolling maneuver. Six days, seven pages, more fire and hot air than an average balloonist convention - with but one post. Outstanding. *slowclap*

That said, I did have a racist friend once - I think he went on to become a student at a military academy. I haven't seen him in years, which suits me fine.

Del Spaig

Jan 26, 2012
If you meant me, then I can only agree. If you meant the OP's racist friend, then you have my sympathy.

speakstrg17

Jun 4, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
speakstrg17 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
speakstrg17 said:
Also to all the people saying he is indefinably wrong, you need to stop shoving your morals down other peoples throats. As someone else said already, what is wrong differs from person to person. Think about this, if I asked "Do you think cheating on a (test, etc) is ok?)" I guarantee I would get mixed responses.
What utter crap. You're whining that they need to stop shoving morals down other people's throats based on what? Your morality? You only bring up moral relativism because you want an excuse to not be judged. You probably don't even know the difference between talking about descriptive morality versus complaining about normative.
Two things to tell you

1. I love the fact that you attempt to make things as complicated as possible as if it would help your "argument", but what you don't realize is that I made no argument I was stating that you need to examine your own morals before you attack others. As you are the one wishing harm upon, as far as we know an innocent man.

2. I could care less if I was judged by you or anyone else on the internet, you trying to say I would care makes me think that you could be the one worried about getting judged

I hope don't have to respond further, as I was just saying people were being violent and very quick to judge suggesting bad bad things (including you). I wish people would think about things before they spew it out as if it were some universal fact tough to all ages.
You do realize lying like that isn't convincing when we can see that you didn't just tell people to examine their own morals, you said to not 'shove it down other people's throats'. And furthermore, if you want to talk about how what's wrong differs from person to person, maybe for people here wishing harm isn't wrong to them. That idiotic misused moral relativism is a two edged sword. But you only use it in the way most convenient to you.

Yes, because I think your post is suspicious with its misused moral relativism I must clearly be worrying about judgment. Makes perfect sense. For you at least apparently.

No, you said more crap than that and now you're backtracking and denying it.

I'm lying? Really? Can you not understand that saying 'shoving it down other peoples throats', is kinda like saying 'it's raining cats and dogs'. Also me saying 'not as correct as you think' is suggesting someone to take a look at something.

I looked at some of your older posts and saw you try to start seemingly endless arguments. So this will be my last post, I hope your able to get some sort of enjoyment out of this, because I sure couldn't.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
SquallTheBlade said:
No, no, I didn't say that, but a good friend of mine did.

So, this friend watched American History X yesterday, a movie which tells about dangers of racism and what it can cause. Today he said something about the movie: "Best parts where those where niggers were killed"
I was shocked... I told him that the movie was supposed to be against racism. After that he said "Well I'm a racist and there is nothing wrong about being racist. I don't like black people"

Of course I started arguing against it, but he just got angry and said that being racist is his choise and I can't start whining about it to him.

But the thing is, he has had a black friend and he has been with one of my black friends. So I asked him "But wasn't she a nice girl?" (referring to my black friend). He responded "Yeah, but she wasn't foreigner", "So you dont like foreigner people?" "Yeah, but most of them are black", "So what about that chinese guy just 2 doors away from us?"(The friend is also my roommate), "Oh yeah, I dont like chinese people either"

I started arguing that you can't judge people just for their skin colour or where they come from, but I could see how he were getting angry so I stopped. He gets angry very easily and I don't want that to happen.

I don't know if I should punch him to the face, laugh at him or just cry because there really are people who think like that. Here you don't really meet any racist people. Yes we might say something racist but it's always said in a sarcastic way so we don't really mean it(Or atleast thats what I do). But my friend is serious...

So, do you have any racist friends and what do you think about them? Personally, I think I can't look at my friend the same way anymore...
I would rethink having somebody as that as a friend.Friendship with somebody like that is covert approval of their beliefs.People who know he's super-racist may tar you with the same brush.Also,he has to have a pretty small mind to think like this.He sounds like a moron to me.Do you really want a relationship with somebody so hateful?
All of us are born with some degree of tribalism and prejudice- but decent people know it's wrong and try to overcome it.Your friend sounds like a douche who is proud of his douchery.That can't be good.
It's not like he's an older relative who is basically good but a product of another era.You can agree to disagree with a mildly bigoted relative for the sake of familial unity.But this guy?If he isn't family,drop him faster than a lunch tray in a cafeteria.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Morally, kind of...
Legally, nope.

Hell every one is prejudice in a sense, and if we start judging them too harshly we become them. just ignore the hate speech and move on, real diversity is accepting people of all beliefs and and ethnicity, even if its based of bigotry. They have the right to believe what ever and you have the right not to like it.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
SquallTheBlade said:
Well this person sounds like a massive dick. If he were my friend ... well, then he wouldn't be my friend for much longer.

I've never had a racist friend, and I never want one.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My father was a racist in the sense that he openly belittled anyone that wasn't of our nationality. Then, he got old...and it was too 'tiring' to be racist.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
See. This is why I love science fiction, and really, really wish that there was at least one other intelligent life form out there that we knew of. Bonus unification of humanity points if that species also means us harm.

I mean, think about Mass Effect. Jacob was a relatively stereotypical black guy. Nothing extreme like any of the characters in a tyler perry or wayne's brother's production, but he would say things like "I'm good sheperd. We live, we'll get LOUD and spill drinks on the citadel" while chest bumping you, his surveillance footage was him working out, and he even had mild daddy issues. But you stand him next to Garrus, Mordin, or Tali, and you're definitely not thinking that you're looking at a turian, a salarian, a quarian, and a black guy.

It's like Meowth said: We do have a lot in common. The same earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different, well... who knows?

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Everyones a little bit racist [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9CSnlb-ymA]. Every single fucking person around. I give him credit for at least being honest about it.
But no, as long as you are not treating them differently or being rude or anything then who cares if someone is racist?
Everyone has their issues. As long as everyone keeps it inside where it belongs then I could not possibly care less.