There Will Be Brawl: Episode Nine

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
I'm going to mix references here for maximum horribleness.

First the obvious, Waluigi is pants on head retarded and it is absolutely ridiculous that Wario would use him like that. So if you want us to officially hate Wario and hope for his quick demise your attempt was super effective.

Second, Bowser was nailed very well, exceeded my expectations, I am now fully appoint with your show.

Third, YAY!!! for a Gannon reappearance! Favorite character in the show by a mile. I'd say I can't wait for the final episode, but that would be lying, I waited for this one successfully, odds are good I'll survive to see the next one.

Keep being awesome.

EDIT: Yay for being comment 100, nice number, the only thing more awesome would be if I had been comment 128.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Aktrez said:
*Le Snip*
More questions eh? Alright.

Who makes the costumes for the show? Do you guys make them yourselves or do you pay someone outside to make them? Are there any costumes that are your favorites? Any that you dislike or thought needed improvement?

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Fucking amazing. The best series on the Escapist. I'm saddened that this is all coming to an end, but I'm still damn excited for episode 10.

(Also, it seems to me that Power Suited Samus is the only playable character who hasn't appeared yet. Pretty please?)

EDIT: Oh, and Escapist video editors...STOP WITH THE DAMN CENSORING. It's stupid. You show Zero Punctuation. The word 'fuck' isn't' censored on the forums. There is no point for this.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow that was just awesome, one of the most compelling, and I'll confess that the ending brought me to tears, what a sad ending.

NRX

May 13, 2009
I'll add one more for ya Aktrez:
How different does it feel doing the lines in person and then seeing yourself do the lines later in the finishing edit? Did you have any feeling like, "damn I should've done that better" to "I pulled it off better than I expected it to"?

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Awesome, especially love the little jokes thrown in there like 'Your Princess is in another castle' and I laughed out loud when Link said 'Excuse me Princess!'. But again, awesome episode

WilliamWhite1

Sep 27, 2008
I think Mercer continues to do a phenomenal job with Ganon; very mafia-esque, even when it appears plenty of characters have all disappeared.

Even though Bowser was short-lived, you got the idea that he was powerful in his time, continued to be incredibly influential, and possibly had the strength to turn things around. Would have been nice to see him hit the scenes a little more, of course, but can understand why that didn't happen.

Ending was sad, as was pointed out plenty. I thought the trainer was a good character, nobody wanted to see him go, he went in a gruesome way, which sucks. But it had to be done.

Liking it a lot, even though it leaves me with dozens of questions. Keep up the excellent work.

WilliamWhite1

Sep 27, 2008
Seems I've forgotten one snipit of this forum, sorry for the double post, but it does seem relevent.

Aktrez, if it's not too much trouble to view my query:

I recall a question asked earlier in this thread about the possibilities of future work for yourself and possibly others in the crew. If you were to work together with this crew (or yourself, for that matter) on a different project, would we hear about it through the Escapist, or would there be a different outlet that we would need to reach?

It's all for the purpose of finding the new material, of course. Don't want to miss a good thing, now.

Thanks in advance.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
The Excuse Me Princess, the Princess is in another castle, every last bit of it was great. I can't believe killed Link with the Master Sword, though! That's just insult to injury.

Sephiwind said:
Wow... just wow. This episode was just freaking amazing. I was surprised to see the length and this episode didn't hold any punches. It makes you really wonder who is the the one pulling all the strings. Judging by what is all said it must be someone from a much older generation of video games.

Jeez wouldn't it be a trip if it was Pac-Man? That and Pitfall Harry are the only 2 actual named original video games characters I can come up with.

Really Pac-Man kind of fits the profile of the killer if you work on loose interpretations. For starters...

Fast: That could be interpreted since he needs to out run the ghosts.

Intelligent: He could be considered that since he had to guide around mazes.

Leaving the entrails behind could be the writers interpretation of when Pac-Man would eat the ghosts and only their eyes remained.

Can anyone else think of much older characters, that were original to the games, that fitthe profile?
I like this idea. Plus, Pac-man and Kirby are very similar, and Bowser mentions that the towers glow when he first appears, so maybe they're brothers... or the same person. I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Hell, maybe Pac-man framed Kirby all those years ago!

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
*Gasp* It was the white Pikmin extract all along!

Oh and, nice use of the Pokemon theme at Red's funeral. That was a nice touch. :)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Sephiwind said:
Doug said:
Sephiwind said:
Wow... just wow. This episode was just freaking amazing. I was surprised to see the length and this episode didn't hold any punches. It makes you really wonder who is the the one pulling all the strings. Judging by what is all said it must be someone from a much older generation of video games.

Jeez wouldn't it be a trip if it was Pac-Man? That and Pitfall Harry are the only 2 actual named original video games characters I can come up with.

Really Pac-Man kind of fits the profile of the killer if you work on loose interpretations. For starters...

Fast: That could be interpreted since he needs to out run the ghosts.

Intelligent: He could be considered that since he had to guide around mazes.

Leaving the entrails behind could be the writers interpretation of when Pac-Man would eat the ghosts and only their eyes remained.

Can anyone else think of much older characters, that were original to the games, that fit the profile?
I think...if we go by what Browser said... that the oldest things are reclaiming the kingdom... that it'll be the oldest one of them all - the Pong Paddle! Not sure how they'd show that in episode, but still...
I thought about that and tried matching it up with the things we all ready knew about the killer. It didn't seems to fit all the criteria for the killer even though you can't get much older then pong. I really think though that the big boss will be someone actually recognized as an actual character. The pong paddles weren't really characters.
True, true. Of course, the oldest character is Pac-man like you say. However... Mario was from the early days too... under the name 'Jumpman' - whether thats old enough to read something into that or not, I'll leave to your imagination... but...well, Mario would be interesting as the killer ;)

EDIT:
Looking it up, Donkey Kong ('Jumpman'/Mario's first outing) was in 1981, only 1 year after Pacman...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_%28video_game%29

And Luigi didn't appear until 2 years after Mario...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi

Also, what I meant was, maybe Mario snapped and his personally split - lets call them Mario and Jumpman, heh. Jumpman is a crazy mo-fo.

Aktrez

Mar 13, 2009
Thank you again for the great questions. Let's see if I can disect these.

wouldyoukindly99: Who makes the costumes for the show? Do you guys make them yourselves or do you pay someone outside to make them? Are there any costumes that are your favorites? Any that you dislike or thought needed improvement?

JoEllen and Diana make most of the costumes. Jenny, Diana, Carly and JoEllen (with help from Vanessa) do the amazing make-up work. I'm always amazed by the prosthetics that are used. Bowser, Sonic, Ganon, the StarFox characters and P.T.'s death scene (which you don't get the full scope of on screen but OMG it looked SICK!!!) have been my favorites so far. Mercer, feel free to jump in there if I've missed anyone specific here!

NRX: How different does it feel doing the lines in person and then seeing yourself do the lines later in the finishing edit? Did you have any feeling like, "damn I should've done that better" to "I pulled it off better than I expected it to"?

It's funny watching a full episode. Sometimes we film things out of context so, going back and looking at it the way it's SUPPOSE to be really ties it all together. Like with any actor, I am my own worst critic. Usually, I can think of one or two other ways for things to come across in the aftermath but, I've never really hated something I've done. Everything is very raw and in the moment. Yes, sometimes I'm like "Oh, that didn't feel organic in real life but it sounded fine in the end". Those are always GREAT discoveries.

WilliamWhite1: I recall a question asked earlier in this thread about the possibilities of future work for yourself and possibly others in the crew. If you were to work together with this crew (or yourself, for that matter) on a different project, would we hear about it through the Escapist, or would there be a different outlet that we would need to reach?

I can't speak for everyone but, any other projects that I am involved in will most likely be posted on my personal website. That's http://www.aktrez.tv if anyone is interested. Again, it's my personal blog so, there is more than just my acting work on there. A lot of opinion pieces and gaming talk too.

You guys all rock! I'm really glad you like the episode.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
Wonderful episode, as usual. I actually just started watching this earlier tonight on a whim and here I am a few hour later having just nearly finished the series. I am eagerly awaiting the finale to the series.

And such a depressing ending, well played guys, well played.

Nyrad01

Nov 25, 2009
Just started watching this yesterday and I love it xD Pity its only got one more episode left... Anyone else think they'll go for the Silence of the Lambs style of ending with Kirby not being dead? :D