There's no such thing as a British accent!

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
Irridium said:
Plurralbles said:
um... There's a set of acents that come from those islands just like there is a set of accents coming from north america or asia, meaning that it is perfectly acceptable for people who don't hear them everyday to lump them all together.

It's not even a question of growing a thicker skin, it's of realizing that the world doesn't revolve around you so people won't know everything about your region.
Exactly this.

The U.S. is full of people with different accents. Mid-western accenst, New York accents, Rhode Island accents, hell, our own Moviebob occasionally lets loose with his Boston accent. Yet many people around the world lump them all together as an "american accent".

Do you know how annoying it would be to have to learn about the accents for every piece of the British isles? especially when each county/city/town/village seems to have their own unique accent (from what I've gathered people talking about on the internet at least).
Yeah, I was going to post, but then you said everything. You evil person.

I really, really hate hearing people around the world describe a Texan accent as an American accent, in much the same way the OP hates the term 'British accent.' I am an American, but I am not a fucking Texan. So, it happens everywhere. Call me a stupid American if you'd like, but I don't think the British Isles are special in terms of accents. Every country has different accents and dialects, and every foreigner is going to lump them all together. That's no different in any other English speaking country. Canada, for example: I don't hear any sort of accent in the LRR crew, as I speak the same way, though I live further south. People from Quebec sound extremely different. But the term 'Canadian accent' exists.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Sparrow said:
Am I missing something here? The text in that picture specifically says "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island."
That was the point. The need for the passport to add Northern Ireland, rather than lump it with Brittain means it is in the united kingdom but not Brittish.

Also funny to note that whilst in my head I have a neutral accent, when played back I have the biggest culchie Irish accent you'll ever hear.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Valkyira said:
Okay, this has been bothering me for years. There is no such thing as a British accent!

Great Britain is an island made up of three countries, England, Scotland and Wales. Each of these countries has their own accent, not to mention countless more dialects depending on the area of the country.

It seems like when people say a 'British accent' they are referring to the English accent. So why not just say the English accent?

It's like saying someone has a South/North American accent or an Asian accent. It just doesn't make sense.

I know making this thread isn't going to change anything in the grand scale of things, but I just hope that some users here on the Escapist realise that there is no such thing as a British accent.

So for discussion value, who here is like me, bothered by people saying 'British accent'? And who here doesn't give a shit?

Thanks for putting up with my rant.
Well, I'm only replying because of the English accent thing--English=language we are using right now, British helps distinguish it between them. People in South America (Not the continent, literally Southern America like Georgia or Texas) believe that Northern Americans (Maryland, Virginia, New York) have accents too. I don't hear it but Southern Americans do. It's just better instead of having to distinguish between them.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Meh, I couldn't really care. I'm to busy trying to tell people that Zaeed from Mass Effect isn't Australian and Miranda isn't British.

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
well im northern irish and i have the passport on the left, you know the british one and in it, it say: nationality-british
you seem to have something against northern irish people, im not saying that northern ireland is in britain, im saying that northern irish people are british
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
i said technically because of the definitions of wikipedia, in fact people from northern ireland are british since they are all british citizens and have british passports, same with the falklands

I'll also think you'll find, Northern Irish people have Irish passports or those of the United Kingdom. Not British. The first passport is that of the United Kingdom (which Northern Ireland is a part of) The second is a purely Irish passport. Irish people do not use a British passport. As you can see, it says 'United Kingdom Of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.' Why would they say 'and Northern Ireland' if they were a part of Britain? Because Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

I have nothing against Irish people wether they're Northern or from the Republic. The passport on the left is NOT a British passport. It is a passport of the United Kingdom.
ok a few questions
do british passports exist?
is northern ireland in the same country as england, scotland and wales?
and if you own a united kingdomian passport are you british?

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
Sparrow said:
Kayner100 said:
well im northern irish and i have the passport on the left, you know the british one and in it, it say: nationality-british
you seem to have something against northern irish people, im not saying that northern ireland is in britain, im saying that northern irish people are british
Am I missing something here? The text in that picture specifically says "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island."
your confusing britain with british

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Because people are ignorant. And you know what? I don't mind/care. Life goes on.

(In places like America, yes we do have a British accent, same as anyone with a Welsh/Scottish/etc accent, it's just a generalization and don't take offense to it, just pat them on the head and confuse them with our crazy lingo)

Blood_Angels_Fan

Aug 1, 2009
The main reason for saying 'British accent' is that most people outside of Wales, Scotland and England cannot differentiate between local dialects of the separate countries. Since they cannot tell the difference it is notably easier for them to say 'British', being an accent or dialect with characteristics common to most of Great Britain. Also, for the sake of political correctness and politeness, isn't it better to join together two groups (i.e. English and Welsh) instead of accidentally implying someone is from another region entirely?

Example; I am from New Hampshire. I notice blaring differences in accent between someone from Southern New Hampshire and from Boston. Boston, being part of Massachusetts, and New Hampshire are both part of New England. I would much prefer someone saying I had a New England accent, which is correct if vague, as opposed to incorrectly labeling me as someone from Massachusetts.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Kayner100 said:
Sparrow said:
Kayner100 said:
Ahhh, right. I knew I was missing some part of the discussion. Don't hear many N. Irish people call themselves British nowadays though.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Valkyira said:
ProfessorLayton said:
Because it doesn't matter. You know what they're talking about, right?
That's not the point. The point is that they're incorrect. I'm pissed off about it, but some people are downright offended at other people's ignorance.
Political correctness only makes things worse, if i say british you know what i meen, you say american depending on who you are talking about i can easily figure it out. If i dont know who you are talking about i can still make an educated guess, and im not going to be offended.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Kayner100 said:
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
i said technically because of the definitions of wikipedia, in fact people from northern ireland are british since they are all british citizens and have british passports, same with the falklands

I'll also think you'll find, Northern Irish people have Irish passports or those of the United Kingdom. Not British. The first passport is that of the United Kingdom (which Northern Ireland is a part of) The second is a purely Irish passport. Irish people do not use a British passport. As you can see, it says 'United Kingdom Of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.' Why would they say 'and Northern Ireland' if they were a part of Britain? Because Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

I have nothing against Irish people wether they're Northern or from the Republic. The passport on the left is NOT a British passport. It is a passport of the United Kingdom.
ok a few questions
...I think the first question answers itself.
Great Britain is not a country. It's a federation, so to speak. It's not on the same landmass, if that's what you mean - Ireland as a whole is completely separate from Britain, though I'm fairly sure it's all considered the same. I've always seen Ireland as part of Great Britain, just not part of the United Kingdom. Like Scandinavia.
And you have to be British to own a passport from the United Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland has its own customs and its own passport.

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
Sparrow said:
Kayner100 said:
Sparrow said:
Kayner100 said:
Ahhh, right. I knew I was missing some part of the discussion. Don't hear many N. Irish people call themselves British nowadays though.
its a......sensitive topic in northern ireland, you know with the IRA and all that crap but it was british soldiers fighting the terrorist and everyone has a british passport and is related to a scottish person in one way or another,
but you'd actually be suprised how many people consider themselves british

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
English accent is the one that ticks me off. I don't talk anything like a scouser or a gordie. Please get my accent right.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
This just in: nobody outside of the non-English portions of Great Britain gives a fuck.

I'm sure you could find shit more trivial to get annoyed over, but you'd have to put some effort into the project.

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
I'm American, and let me say that I purposely group Scotland English and Wales because they all sound incredibly similar to me and I do not have an ear for telling them apart. Essentially those of Great Britian all have a British accent.

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
Thyunda said:
Kayner100 said:
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:

ok a few questions
...I think the first question answers itself.
Great Britain is not a country. It's a federation, so to speak. It's not on the same landmass, if that's what you mean - Ireland as a whole is completely separate from Britain, though I'm fairly sure it's all considered the same. I've always seen Ireland as part of Great Britain, just not part of the United Kingdom. Like Scandinavia.
And you have to be British to own a passport from the United Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland has its own customs and its own passport.
federation, i like that,
the federation of the united kingdoms
what puzzles me is that valkyira thinks that because britain is a seperate island to the rest of the united kingdom makes them different when there is absolutely no difference at all,
the questions were aimed at valkyira but thanks for answering, good to see someone with sense

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Valkyira said:
It seems like when people say a 'British accent' they are referring to the English accent. So why not just say the English accent?

It's like saying someone has a South/North American accent or an Asian accent. It just doesn't make sense.

I know making this thread isn't going to change anything in the grand scale of things, but I just hope that some users here on the Escapist realise that there is no such thing as a British accent.
to go to even more detail, how come we speak in an "english accent" when we "ARE" english. Technically all of you are speaking in accents and we are speaking plain english as it always been. for god sakes it the language originated in our country. (not really but u get where i'm going with this)

bloob

Feb 10, 2008
mokes310 said:
Valkyira said:
So for discussion value, who here is like me, bothered by people saying 'British accent'? And who here doesn't give a shit?
What bothers me is people who don't know the difference between a dialect and an accent. The differences are VERY distinct and are often confused since the term "dialect" has a negative connotation.
you could even go as far as to say that american is a dialect of english, a very similar dialect but there are some differences

pumasuit said:
Because England has another name in Great Britain. The British were from England, always have been. They then invaded Scotland and Ireland. I don't think it is unreasonable to say a British person and an English person are one and the same.
Britain is a collective term for England, Wales and Scotland. So either call everyone British or distinguish between the the countries, a Scotish or Welsh person is just as British as an English person.