There's no such thing as a British accent!

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I'm well aware of the diversity of accents and dialects that would fall under the word "British", but I still say "British accent" when referring to an English accent. I dunno why, but British is a cooler word than English, so that may be it.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Valkyira said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Isn't that like saying there is no such thing as an American accent? After all there is Texan, New York, Deep South etc. As a general catch-all term for accents stemming from the British Isles it is a reasonable phrase.
I agree with you to some extent. Although the Texan, New York and Deep South accents are dialects of the USA. Great Britain is actually three separate countries.
And each of those American accents are more distinct-sounding to an outsider than those of Wales, England, and Scotland.

The habit of calling it a "British" accent is probably the result of decades of touchy pricks saying "I'm not English" when someone tries to be specific but is incorrect. Thus, people learned to use a more general term, so that a different set of touchy pricks can get upset about people being correct, but not specific enough.

Also, let's not forget that the legal responsibilities and priveleges of what you call the "countries" of Great Britain are an awful lot like the legal responsibilities and privileges of what we call "states" in the U.S. You can call them countries all you want, but they are not sovereign nations. They're all part of the U.K., and all of them are smaller in area and comparable in population to the state of Texas.

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
Thyunda said:
Kayner100 said:
How can Britain be a separate island to the rest of the UK when the UK is solely in Great Britain?
well according to wikipedia and valkyira great britain is the main isle of britain
so the only countries in britain are scotland, wales and england
which i find very pointless as british means all of the UK and britain is a single isle
and if you want to be really picky
britain = wales and england
great britain = scotland, wales and england
UK = scotland, wales, northern ireland, england, falklands, channel islands and isle of man
all very pointless but are very important to valkyira

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Valkyira said:
ProfessorLayton said:
Because it doesn't matter. You know what they're talking about, right?
That's not the point. The point is that they're incorrect. I'm pissed off about it, but some people are downright offended at other people's ignorance.
Because some people care about silly things I suppose :/

I'm British and I always just say I have a British accent. Sometimes I specify by saying English but I don't care enough to correct people. If I really cared I'd have to start saying: 'I have an east-midlands English-UK accent'

nooobody cares.

(I should clarify, I am now living in Australia so I get asked a lot too)

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Kayner100 said:
Thyunda said:
Kayner100 said:
How can Britain be a separate island to the rest of the UK when the UK is solely in Great Britain?
well according to wikipedia and valkyira great britain is the main isle of britain
which i find very pointless as british means all of the UK and britain is a single isle
UK = scotland, wales, northern ireland, england, falklands, channel islands and isle of man
At this point, I tend to get confused. And I'm British.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
I don't really mind about the british and english accent thing.

i think that the main reason is british is easier to say than english

Sthom_1968

May 31, 2010
"Great Britain" is a geographical designation, it relates to the largest of the British Isles, which consists of thousands of islands and charted rocks.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is a political designation for the nation state which consists of the three countries situated on the island of Great Britain along with the territory of Northern Ireland and several dependencies, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Other large islands and archipelagos off the coast of Great Britain are considered part of one or other of the constituent countries. The Isle of Wight is part of England, Anglesey is part of Wales; the Western Isles, Orkneys and Shetlands are part of Scotland.

"British accent" does irritate me a little, but I can see the use for foreigners. I can sometimes tell the difference between a Northern US accent and a Canadian accent, but it does depend where they're from. Likewise Australian and New Zealand accents are hard to differentiate.

Personally I find it odd that foreigners can't differentiate between some of our regional accents and dialects, although that may be due to a lack of exposure. Walk into the Bigg Market in Newcastle or the Bullring in Birmingham and expect a "British" (i.e. RP accent) and you'll get a shock, to say nothing of the South Wales valleys, the East End of London or rural Somerset! That said the English can't usually distinguish between a South or North Welsh accent, which (to a native like me) are as different as, say South Carolina and New Jersey; or Home Counties and Scouse.

Oh, and the vowel shift that apparently makes people in the US speak a more original form of English than the British is, again, dependent on regional variations. The short "a" form in words like "bath" is used in the North of England, the elongated vowel "baahth" in RP, the West Country and Wales. Do any parts of the US that have the archetypal "southern drawl" elongate the vowel?

My tuppence worth. Argue away!

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
Well, actually, people do say 'North American accent'. And most of the people I know say 'British accent' because saying 'English accent' makes it sound as though all people who speak English have that accent, when that is not the case, clearly.

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
Thyunda said:
Kayner100 said:
Thyunda said:
Kayner100 said:
At this point, I tend to get confused. And I'm British.
i think its best just to forget about it, im going to keep saying britain and mean the UK

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
Its just one of those things that most people don't pay attention to.

Hell, I was on a cruise a few years back and there were heaps of British families and American (I'm Aussie) and most of the Yanks all confused me as a Brit and the British were being called Australians.

Its just that no one knows what anyone else sounds like, they are just weird (compared to them).

Chewy1015

Aug 5, 2009
I guess it's easier for a British person, like myself, to get annoyed when foreign people group our accents under one heading. But they aren't exposed to the plethora of accents there are in Britain, which vary from each county, city, town or village, so it's harder to tell the difference. The same way they might get annoyed when we group all the various accents of North America, which I imagine vary from state to state, as American. Unless it's a Southern North (is that an oxymoron?) American accent.

Apr 28, 2008
Red Right Hand said:
Irridium said:
Plurralbles said:
um... There's a set of acents that come from those islands just like there is a set of accents coming from north america or asia, meaning that it is perfectly acceptable for people who don't hear them everyday to lump them all together.

It's not even a question of growing a thicker skin, it's of realizing that the world doesn't revolve around you so people won't know everything about your region.
Exactly this.

The U.S. is full of people with different accents. Mid-western accenst, New York accents, Rhode Island accents, hell, our own Moviebob occasionally lets loose with his Boston accent. Yet many people around the world lump them all together as an "american accent".

Do you know how annoying it would be to have to learn about the accents for every piece of the British isles? especially when each county/city/town/village seems to have their own unique accent (from what I've gathered people talking about on the internet at least).
That's because America is one country. Britain is not. It's like saying a frenchman has a European accent. You just don't say that, us Brits aren't asking that everyone can distinguish between an ayrshire accent and an orkney accent, though they are fairly different. We, well I, just wish people would make the distinction between and English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accent because they are fairly different.
I understand that, but your accents all sound pretty similar. At least to other people. I can make out an Irish accent just fine, but I can barely tell the difference between an English accent and a Scottish accent. I don't even recall if I've ever heard a Welsh accent. I may have.

Point is, your accents all sound similar. I'm sure there are quite a few Brits, Scots, Welsh, and Irish pissed off after reading that, since the countries aren't exactly fond of each other, but thats how the majority of people see it.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
That would imply there is no such thing as a British person.
A British accent would come from Britain, whilst it may not be specific, its still accurate.

You never hear people saying, "wow... He has a really strong Queensland accent" and yet apparently there is a difference between QLD, VIC and other Australian state accents.

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
maninahat said:
Well, if we are splitting hairs, why not point out that there is no such thing as "the English Language". Seeing as how English is spoken by Americans, Australians, the British etc. It seems in accurate to label it all as "English".

Either that, or we can agree that there is such thing as a British accent: an accent that originates from Britain. It could be Cockney, Brummy or Scouse, but it is still a British accent.
It was invented by the English. Spanish is spoken in Mexico, too. Doesn't mean there's no such thing as the Spanish language.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I doubt the rest of the world is able to tell the difference between a Welsh and an English accent, but really, who cares? I wouldn't be surprised if some rural Europeans thought all Americans talked like southerners.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Technically theres no such thing as an English Accent either: People who speak with an English Accent are speaking 100% Native English, so it should be referred to as "Common Old English" or something.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Well, I always refer to English as a language and British as a culture. No one's a fan of saying "English accent" when it's the language they speak and they aren't English. I believe in pronouncing the last letter of the alphabet correctly and spelling the word "honour" with a "u" as is proper language, but I would probably stop at saying I speak the language of England when the people of all the British Ilse's can be understood by those speak English yet are from another continent.

captainordo

Mar 28, 2009
Valkyira said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Isn't that like saying there is no such thing as an American accent? After all there is Texan, New York, Deep South etc. As a general catch-all term for accents stemming from the British Isles it is a reasonable phrase.
I agree with you to some extent. Although the Texan, New York and Deep South accents are dialects of the USA. Great Britain is actually three separate countries.
I don't think Great Britain is three separate countries. It's one country known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK).

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Stone Wera said:
maninahat said:
Well, if we are splitting hairs, why not point out that there is no such thing as "the English Language". Seeing as how English is spoken by Americans, Australians, the British etc. It seems in accurate to label it all as "English".

Either that, or we can agree that there is such thing as a British accent: an accent that originates from Britain. It could be Cockney, Brummy or Scouse, but it is still a British accent.
It was invented by the English. Spanish is spoken in Mexico, too. Doesn't mean there's no such thing as the Spanish language.
Well strictly speaking, English was invented by the Saxons. So I suppose that makes the English a bunch german speakers. As you say; "Spanish is spoken in Mexico, too. Doesn't mean there's no such thing as the Spanish language". Perhaps, but the Mexicans would prefer to think they are speaking "Mexican". Likewise, how long will it be before "North American" becomes recognised as a seperate language from "English"? Most English people are unfamiliar with the word 'podunk'. Is it still an "English" word, or can it be said to be an American word? How many such words are needed for American to be considered distinct?

Look, I'm just being arbitrarily pedantic here because I disagree with the OP's premise. We use generalised terms when it comes to things like language and accents for convenience sake. Of course Australians and Americans speak English. I was just pointing out that if the OP considers the term "British accent" to be too much of a generalisation over the smorgasbord of accents in the UK, then "English" is also too much of a vague adjective for the World's most widely spoken language.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
english is a language, not a accent. hence why you have british accents and scottish accents and i suppose whalish accents (is it just what whales do.. the whole mooooooaoaaaaaaaooooooooo noise thingy?)