They are trying to cancel Dave Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Critical has a habit of labeling anyone who disagrees with him an extremist. Apparently, the only correct answer is to be a fence-sitting know-nothing who doesn't stand for anything real.
Is this as oppose to people who just outright ignore everything and keep pushing the same narrative again and again and change their positions just to win and only claim to stand for stuff but have no actual consistency just pretend to and gaslight or use any number of nefarious debate tactics to just try and bury said points about hypocrisy on show?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Blair White is the trans community's Candace Owens
Oh cool another person who's opinions differ therefore they are worthless to listen to. Okay cool. You all are just so compassionate and caring for the people who suffer in the same struggles that ya'll do. So much so that you'll fucking drag them through shit online and push them out the suicide door because a trans person that doesnt fit your agenda is worthless. THAT doesn't seem like hypocritical bullshit at all.

You're right, Dave is a piece of shit. Fuck him, and fuck everyone who's ever considered him a friend. Fuck Blair White for being conservative fence sitting piece of shit. Fuck Candice Owens, i dont really know who she is, but that name alone sounds like someone you should tell to fuck off so fuck her probably.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sounds to me like anyone who doesn't agree with your POV is basically an uncredible source. So why even bother having a discussion if you immediately dismiss anyone who's opinion differs from yours. Which BTW Blair specifically brings up in the video about how the trans community butts heads with itself because not everyone in on board the mob-train.

It's extremism and nothing more.

Says the dude that was willing to blindly defend a racist and homophobic coach. Whose emails weren't even from 15 something years ago, but from 2018 and 2019.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Fuck Candice Owens, i dont really know who she is, but that name alone sounds like someone you should tell to fuck off so fuck her probably.
She's a black conservative millennial who has a love boner for Trump. That's it. That's her whole career in a sentence. Her thing is that she "owns the libs" by being someone they can't call racist or sexist, and loves Trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Do you not see the hypocrisy of this?
No, I don't. The point was he was willing to effectively make fun of "himself" (i.e.: black stereotypes) in an effort to take the piss from people who actually contextualize those stereotypes as objective reality. When it was clear the execs weren't "getting the joke" and just wanted a scripted show that made fun of black people and used the "n" word with abandon, he moved on; it wasn't funny anymore neither was it his goal. And as our culture has evolved into what it is today, he's come to understand that the nature of the Comedy Central execs is basically the norm, he went "fuck it," and made his money with Netflix, but he's throwing the hypocrisy directly in our faces. THAT'S the joke now.

Last post I'll make on this subject: love or leave Dave Chappelle, but he's not the first nor will he be the last comedian to make fun of "others." "Others" just includes a lot more people now (not that the LGBTQ+ community are anything new, but they are certainly in the headlines a lot more now, for better or worse.) If you can't take a joke, then don't listen to it. You asked what if Chappelle's black jokes came from a whit guy? It's been done COUNTLESS times; those are the "edgier" comedians who push the boundaries because they understand that at the end of the day, we're all humans and subject to become the butt of a joke. Carlin dropped a few "n" bombs in his time in his stand-ups, but I credit him enough, given his larger body of work, to assume his intent was to trivialize it, take the vitriol away from it by making it something to laugh at. INTENT defines context, and at no point in ANY of his specials has Chappelle said "take this as a 'message,' and leave this room with hate in your heart." If anything, his message has been "as different as we are and can be, we're all the same: comedic gold."

Is Chappelle objective transphobic? I don't know, I can't see into his mind, but what he said regarding Rowling and TERFs IS objectively transphobic. And in the end, if any comedian makes jokes about a marginalized group and that marginalized group really doesn't find it very humorous, then it was very likely a bad joke.
Not every joke has a demographic; his LGBTQ+ jokes weren't necessarily "for" that community. Ask the millions of white people who laughed at The Chappelle Show's taking the piss on racism. Comedy is universal in that everyone can consume it, but only so many will digest it. Unless the solution is black comedians only pander to black audiences, white comedians pander to white audiences, LGBTQ+ comedians pander to LGBTQ+ audiences, etc., and segregation of the humor becomes the only acceptable standard.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No, I don't. The point was he was willing to effectively make fun of "himself" (i.e.: black stereotypes) in an effort to take the piss from people who actually contextualize those stereotypes as objective reality. When it was clear the execs weren't "getting the joke" and just wanted a scripted show that made fun of black people and used the "n" word with abandon, he moved on; it wasn't funny anymore neither was it his goal. And as our culture has evolved into what it is today, he's come to understand that the nature of the Comedy Central execs is basically the norm, he went "fuck it," and made his money with Netflix, but he's throwing the hypocrisy directly in our faces. THAT'S the joke now.

Last post I'll make on this subject: love or leave Dave Chappelle, but he's not the first nor will he be the last comedian to make fun of "others." "Others" just includes a lot more people now (not that the LGBTQ+ community are anything new, but they are certainly in the headlines a lot more now, for better or worse.) If you can't take a joke, then don't listen to it. You asked what if Chappelle's black jokes came from a whit guy? It's been done COUNTLESS times; those are the "edgier" comedians who push the boundaries because they understand that at the end of the day, we're all humans and subject to become the butt of a joke. Carlin dropped a few "n" bombs in his time in his stand-ups, but I credit him enough, given his larger body of work, to assume his intent was to trivialize it, take the vitriol away from it by making it something to laugh at. INTENT defines context, and at no point in ANY of his specials has Chappelle said "take this as a 'message,' and leave this room with hate in your heart." If anything, his message has been "as different as we are and can be, we're all the same: comedic gold."
Yes, some edgy white comedians were able to joke about black people, but it was mostly just racists going "oh, so n*****s can joke about white people but I can't joke about n*****s?"

Chapelle's apparently doing it badly. In a way basically indistinguishable from transphobes. Telling a bunch of people who're constantly fighting legislation drawn up to segregate or eliminate them that they're being hypocritical for not appreciating his oh so hilarious jokes is pathetic.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Oh cool another person who's opinions differ therefore they are worthless to listen to. Okay cool. You all are just so compassionate and caring for the people who suffer in the same struggles that ya'll do. So much so that you'll fucking drag them through shit online and push them out the suicide door because a trans person that doesnt fit your agenda is worthless. THAT doesn't seem like hypocritical bullshit at all.
Hey, you just described Blair White's position on trans people she doesn't agree with, nifty.
You're right, Dave is a piece of shit. Fuck him, and fuck everyone who's ever considered him a friend. Fuck Blair White for being conservative fence sitting piece of shit. Fuck Candice Owens, i dont really know who she is, but that name alone sounds like someone you should tell to fuck off so fuck her probably.
Lmao, with the sources you tend post I refuse to believe that you don't know Candace Owens. Hell, you've seen Dave Chapelle's specials, right?

Look, if somebody constantly posts stupid bullshit I'm going to discount the bullshit they say. Their opinions are worthless to me, because they have been stupid bullshit in the past and I don't see that changing

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ok, so right off the bat I freely admit I'm on shakier ground here, so feel free to correct me, but there are two distinct parts to this bit: the first is Dave (rather clumsily) noting the distinction between gender and sex, in that at the end of the day, everyone is born and that process almost always involves...having the correct bits (sex?) Vs gender (what you identify as? Again, my understanding here is not great, sorry, and isn't helped because I think Chappelle got them backwards).
Chappelle also said "gender is a fact". Which I mean, yeah, genders existing is a fact, but since he didn't exactly specify on that I'm going to assume he's just confused on the term. Which does ironically make it pretty hilarious that he presented as this no nonsense statement.

As for "Team TERF", that one feels like a trap for TERF's than an actual endorsement. Remember, outside of the trans criticism the other large body of negative to his recent specials has been from feminists for his me too bits. And the trap works as thus: either you flip the script, and Dave is right (making the person out as both an unscrupulous hack who will take anything out of context so long as it agrees with them, and also their disregard for other women) or Dave is still an asshole who hates women (and leave with the implicit -"and he is an asshole because he's a TERF" hanging unsaid).
I'm not too knowledgeable on all the goings on in TERF world (I value my soul too much for one), but I do know that TERFs are willing to sacrifice some of that feminism so long as they can further their goal in making the lives of trans people harder. They've apparently been known to work with radical, anti-feminist Christian organisations due to them sharing the same views on the trans community. So honestly I don't think TERFs have any problems with Chappelle's history.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

Way to go on proving me right. Again.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Is this as oppose to people who just outright ignore everything and keep pushing the same narrative again and again and change their positions just to win and only claim to stand for stuff but have no actual consistency just pretend to and gaslight or use any number of nefarious debate tactics to just try and bury said points about hypocrisy on show?
Nope it's exactly the same thing done by the same person

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not every joke has a demographic; his LGBTQ+ jokes weren't necessarily "for" that community. Ask the millions of white people who laughed at The Chappelle Show's taking the piss on racism. Comedy is universal in that everyone can consume it, but only so many will digest it. Unless the solution is black comedians only pander to black audiences, white comedians pander to white audiences, LGBTQ+ comedians pander to LGBTQ+ audiences, etc., and segregation of the humor becomes the only acceptable standard.
Look, I could argue more about this, but that will probably result in us getting more and more peeved at one another, and I don't want that - you've always been a decent person on these forums. We're just not going to see eye-to-eye on this.

I'm also just kinda done defending comedy, as well as most other entertainment media.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Look, I could argue more about this, but that will probably result in us getting more and more peeved at one another, and I don't want that - you've always been a decent person on these forums. We're just not going to see eye-to-eye on this.

I'm also just kinda done defending comedy, as well as most other entertainment media.
Agreed. We think differently in this case, and I appreciate your respect; thank you, and know that it is reciprocated. Despite my differing viewpoint, I'm not coming from a place of malice, lack of compassion or willfully ignorant entitlement. I've followed a lot of comedy for a lot of years. I've seen a lot of comedians come and go; I've seen as many try and fail; if Chappelle has failed in anyone's eyes this time, I will not fault anyone for feeling that way, but I AM willing to talk about it in a civil manner if it gets us anywhere; if it doesn't, if it results in ill will, it's not worth discussing.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Including the intended target? Who? Daphne? She's gone. And her family has issued statements in the wake of this outrage in support of Dave. So how can your statement even be close to being true? You are projecting offense on people who aren't offended.
The intended target would be trans people, considering all the heaps of derogatory comments he made that were nothing to do with Daphne.

So if he's done it for 3 specials why is it only now people are blowing up about it?
People criticised him before about it too. You just weren't personally aware of it 'cos there wasn't an Escapist thread.

Reactions: Dansen

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Chappelle also said "gender is a fact". Which I mean, yeah, genders existing is a fact, but since he didn't exactly specify on that I'm going to assume he's just confused on the term. Which does ironically make it pretty hilarious that he presented as this no nonsense statement.
Yeah, that was a rather funny flub. I like to think it was accidental (I feel like I would have done the same thing) but who knows.
I'm not too knowledgeable on all the goings on in TERF world (I value my soul too much for one),
You and me both.
but I do know that TERFs are willing to sacrifice some of that feminism so long as they can further their goal in making the lives of trans people harder. They've apparently been known to work with radical, anti-feminist Christian organisations due to them sharing the same views on the trans community. So honestly I don't think TERFs have any problems with Chappelle's history.
Yeah, and this is my big problem with all of this. I am a huge fan of watching people step on (metaphorical-)rakes, especially when they put it there themselves. But the fun really evaporates quick when that person then takes the rake and blat the person next to them with it.

Last edited:

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Since people are posting videos about this, I'd recommend this one from a black trans NB person, since you know there aren't any black trans people in this board and all of you are pretty cringe anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.