Thief 4 Storyboards Leak

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief 4 Storyboards Leak

Right on schedule, four Thief 4 concept storyboards have leaked out of Eidos.

Thief [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JA7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320333553&sr=8-1]. As you should know by now, Eidos Montreal is turning its talents toward the classic Looking Glass stealth franchise and while we don't know anything about what they have planned for the new game, at least we now know... well, still pretty much nothing, actually.

[gallery=535]

But we've got some storyboard concepts to look at! Four of them, in fact, courtesy of a blog allegedly belonging to Marlon Deane. Said blog is no longer with us but the good folks at Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137294&p=2096179].

The storyboards may be legit, in other words, but they still don't tell us much. A thief sneaks around a dark, rain-soaked neo-Victorian manse while the clueless residents go about their business - that's the whole Thief series in a nutshell. Unless Eidos is planning a major departure for the new game, I think we can expect more of the same in Thief 4. I certainly hope so, anyway.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Do you think they'll package the first two Thief games so that they'll be compatible with modern systems?

Man that would be nice...

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Squilookle said:
Do you think they'll package the first two Thief games so that they'll be compatible with modern systems?
Far as I know, the first two games run fine on modern systems already. I started a Thief Gold replay a couple months ago with no problems.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, so... you're saying Thief 4 is being made by the studio that did Human Revolution?

I am suddenly hopeful and interested.

Now if only they'd just change the bloody name. Whoever came up with "Thi4f" needs a slap across the face, as does anyone who was in the room when it was suggested and somehow failed to administer said slap.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Zhukov said:
Wait, so... you're saying Thief 4 is being made by the studio that did Human Revolution?

I am suddenly hopeful and interested.

Now if only they'd just change the bloody name. Whoever came up with "Thi4f" needs a slap across the face, as does anyone who was in the room when it was suggested and somehow failed to administer said slap.
I too am confused and slightly annoyed at the need to put Thi4f, for two reasons, one, every 1337 speaker knows that E is 3 not 4, and two, why not just give it a name? Numbers just seem lazy.

Still if its by the same guys that did Deus Ex:HR then it should be worth it...providing they stay true to the premise.

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
And no zombies in sight... it looks promising. Now, if only I could dispel all my "this-is-going-to-have-a-totally-idiotic-DRM-scheme" fears...

But the close-up of Garrett's face surprised me. He looks kinda angry. I'd expect a cynical stealth meister to be more... relaxed (maybe not the best word, but I hope you'll get my meaning)

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The FAQ says Thi4f is just a placeholder until the real, original title is revealed. Given the widespread negative feedback to the title as it stands (it is awfully silly) I'm sure it'll be changed. Hopefully to something better than Deadly Shadows. That was stupid too.

And yes, Eidos Montreal is the same studio that did the new Deus Ex. They actually have a lot in common: both were (and are) Eidos properties, neither sold overly well but both are now recognized as hugely groundbreaking, influential games, and both suffered from lackluster, semi-cash-in sequels that disappointed existing fans and did nothing to earn new ones. Hopefully the quality of the new Thief will be comparable to that of the new Deus Ex, too.

And it's not really the "Victorian era," although it's definitely set in a steampunk world with powerful neo-Victorian overtones. Magic and science co-exist, compete and collide, not just in day-to-day life but even in the supernatural realm, where the Builder and the Trickster are constantly at loggerheads. It's great, great stuff. Gives me goosebumps.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I'm just worried that it doesn't look like he has a mechanical eye. Also, black nail polish.

Though I'm just happy to see some information about Thief 4. It's been 2 years since the announcement and then complete silence. After playing DXHR and loving it, I'm hoping it bodes well for Thief 4.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The FAQ says Thi4f is just a placeholder until the real, original title is revealed. Given the widespread negative feedback to the title as it stands (it is awfully silly) I'm sure it'll be changed. Hopefully to something better than Deadly Shadows. That was stupid too.

And yes, Eidos Montreal is the same studio that did the new Deus Ex. They actually have a lot in common: both were (and are) Eidos properties, neither sold overly well but both are now recognized as hugely groundbreaking, influential games, and both suffered from lackluster, semi-cash-in sequels that disappointed existing fans and did nothing to earn new ones. Hopefully the quality of the new Thief will be comparable to that of the new Deus Ex, too.

And it's not really the "Victorian era," although it's definitely set in a steampunk world with powerful neo-Victorian overtones. Magic and science co-exist, compete and collide, not just in day-to-day life but even in the supernatural realm, where the Builder and the Trickster are constantly at loggerheads. It's great, great stuff. Gives me goosebumps.
Thief had a cash-in-sequel? I mean personally I have only played the third game but many say that they're all good.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
That's...pretty poor draughtsmanship. Even for storyboard art.

But I'm looking forward to the game! If DXHR was any indication, this team knows what it's doing. Just...don't outsource core gameplay features this time, please?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Korten12 said:
Thief had a cash-in-sequel? I mean personally I have only played the third game but many say that they're all good.
That is the cash-in sequel. :)

To be fair, Thief 3 wasn't bad, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's very much like Deus Ex: Invisible War in that it's a decent game that suffers horribly when compared to the original. It was softened a bit, to accommodate both a less-die-hard audience and the technical limits of the Xbox, and the net result was good but not quite up to the standard of the first two games. It also had a silly title.

"Cash-in" is probably harsh, but it was definitely an attempt to modernize the game that didn't quite work out. I hope the new one does better.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
isn't Thief a FPS (first person stealth)? Does it work well?
I've never played a Thief game should I get Thief Gold, I'm a huge fan of stealth games but not so much of FPP (first person perspective)