Thief Preview: Will it Steal Our Hearts?

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Thief Preview: Will it Steal Our Hearts?

Garrett is back and he's headed to next-gen consoles.

Read Full Article

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Sigh... It all sounds really good, especially the AI, but how many times have we been promised good AI and been utterly disappointed.

Based on Human Revolution, I am cautiously optimistic that this game might turn out Ok, a real Thief game. Though I fear that a pure stealth game simply won't have the demographic it needs to be a proper AAA title and we might get too much action crammed in there.

I really hope Eidos has set some realistic development goals this time around and won't be forced to cut the game short like HR.

And the raindrops... sigh. It's a neat little piece of tech, sure, but for the love of god, focus on stuff that ACTUALLY MATTERS! Rain drop simulation is NOT what I'm looking for in a game.

Least important, probably, aesthetically the game looks a bit cluttered. Human Revolution managed to have both a fairly unique and clean aesthetic, with a lot of characterization done via environment (which is awesome). I fear that such an apparently cluttered and visually busy aesthetic might not manage to do something similar, nor will it achieve any distinction.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Was the word Taffer ever used though. That is the most important part and you never even mentioned it!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
synobal said:
Was the word Taffer ever used though. That is the most important part and you never even mentioned it!
Rock paper shotgun indicated that the taffers may have done away with Thief's verbal tics altogether.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Hopefully they're referring to "hearts" as a metaphor....

Then again how much would one cost on the Black Market? Cultist have to get them in bulk some somewhere...

Oh well, I will need to see how the gameplay is and how the enemy AI responds to certain situations

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
VladG said:
And the raindrops... sigh. It's a neat little piece of tech, sure, but for the love of god, focus on stuff that ACTUALLY MATTERS! Rain drop simulation is NOT what I'm looking for in a game.
I had the same thought actually. Then it occurred to me "How cool would that be to be sneaking around a rooftop during a rainstorm and, leaning over to have a look, inadvertently ceased the stream of rain on a guard underneath and he became suspicious?" Though it is highly likely that will not be happening in this reboot, or any game for quite a while, it was a cool thought. I've never played the Thief series (I plan on it), but I loved Dishonored. I hope this game can wow me -- launch titles have done it before and the next generation seems promising.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
So, basically, impressive tech demo, but little else?

I don't think I need to remind everyone of Colonial Marines already. Until they get a playable demo out at one of these shows, or release the full game, it's all pretty much theory. Also if they're over a year away from release, I doubt any of these systems are final yet.

I really want this game to be good, though, so here's hoping they can pull it all off. Be nice to get a legitimate stealth game again. There have been some games recently that had good stealth (Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc) but they weren't really stealth games, they just had good stealth in them. I'm talking about a game where stealth is the main focus. Here's hoping Thief can do it.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well this has somewhat has curbed my increasing skeptism to this reboot, but I am not getting excited until I've seen some extended gameplay.

I do find the lack of taffers so far disturbing, you can take away Russell, The Hammerites, The Pagans and even give Garrett eye liner but don't you dare mess with the made up swear words. That is just going too far.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Honestly, when I found out that Eidos:Montreal was the studio making it, I felt better about the game-- would it be better if Irrational made it? I think so, if only for the Looking Glass alums they have available to them. But E:M did a good job with Deus Ex:HR-- it was stellar in its own right, and at least faithful to the overall ethos of DE. I feel comfortable thinking I will enjoy this new iteration, even if it's not 100% faithful to the series...

00Jack00

Jun 14, 2012
Two notes to Mr. Wehner:

Peak = pinnacle
Peek = view surreptitiously

There has never been a crossbow in Thief. It's a regular short bow.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
CrossLOPER said:
I'm getting a Dishonored vibe too, and not just from the generic action trailer (Dishonored isn't even the first to do the window dive thing). I think devs realised that a lot of people playing thief:TDP like to blackjack or hack anyone they come across, in spite of it being a game built around sneaking. They might as well accommodate that very unthieflike gameplay as well. If the resulting gameplay is anything like Dishonored's multi-approach style, I'll be happy.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Rule of inclusion. I've learned my lesson from Colonial Marines. No game is as good as its preview until proven otherwise.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
MegaManOfNumbers said:
Rule of inclusion. I've learned my lesson from Colonial Marines. No game is as good as its preview until proven otherwise.
star craft ghost...

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
dubious_wolf said:
MegaManOfNumbers said:
star craft ghost...
Revised rule of inclusion: No game that exists is as good as its preview until proven otherwise.

You beautiful sunnovabitch.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
omicron1 said:
synobal said:
Rock paper shotgun indicated that the taffers may have done away with Thief's verbal tics altogether.
Okay, this isn't a thief game, then. The stuff you overheard the guards saying and how detailed and interesting a sense of culture it built was what made Thief go beyond just good and into the realm of excellent.

Also, everything they say about the engine sounds awesome, except the fucking H2H combat. Garret avoided fights. He considered anyone getting into a fight to be sloppy.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
00Jack00 said:
Two notes to Mr. Wehner:

Peak = pinnacle
Peek = view surreptitiously

There has never been a crossbow in Thief. It's a regular short bow.
Actually, it looks like a short bow in teh trailer. I think he was just confused.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Well, this game coming after Dishonored will be certainly interesting since everyone will say it ripped off that game which may or not be the case since it's been in development "forever".

I just hope it's as good as Dishonored with such a long time coming.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I like quite a lot of game series and enjoy playing them again and again. But very, VERY few games made such a lasting impression on me than the three Thief games. Having a fourth entry is basically a reason for me to get a PS4.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It's interesting watching all the younger gamers who have no idea there was an original thief series start making dishonored comparisons.