Things in games that make you physically uncomfortable?

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
In any game, doesn't matter the genre, when there is an emotional scene and it is ruined by horrible voice acting or "over acting".

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Kakulukia said:
The lizard trial in Heavy Rain. Creeps the hell out of me.
Lizard trial? sound, nasty.
Curtisthekiller said:
"physically"? i'd have to say falling from great to moderate heights, i can stare down a chasm just fine but falling makes my stomach tighten.
I get that a lot in minecraft, juping from the top of a tower down a hole to the bedrock, urg.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Water creatures. I'm deathly afraid of deep water, and whenever I swim in games I'm afraid of some giant sea-monster eating me.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Curtisthekiller said:
"physically"? i'd have to say falling from great to moderate heights, i can stare down a chasm just fine but falling makes my stomach tighten.
Same here, stomach tightens and I also get a weird vibrating feeling along my skin.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Apart from being chased by things I cannot kill, like already mentioned, I can only think of the dead babies crawling out of the giant nipples(with tongues) on the boss fight in Dante's Inferno. Can't recall the boss' name.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Any shooter I am forced to kill dogs in. I dunno what it is but it just gets to me. I don't mind it in rpgs if I have to kill wolves or if I have to kill people in shooters but if I have to kill dogs...it just irks me.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
The only thing that makes me physically uncomfortable in games is when my character has to go near the edge of something that has a really long fall at the end of said edge. I have a thing against heights.

I've also been a little put out by some of the choices I've been given to solve various problems. I think the one choice I had the most trouble with was The Pit in Fallout 3. For those of you who've played, you know what I'm refering to. There are a few in ME 2 as well, not as many in ME though.

I also hate killing dogs/puppies. I love dogs and have three myself, maybe that's why. XD

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Giant Spiders, if they're realistic/detailed enough. Like the ones in Dragon Age.

I'm highly arachnophobic, see.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
The part in Bioshock where, if you pick up the recording, you here....a child, being made to kill a puppy under the effects of mind control. I've played that game three times and that bit upsets me every time.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Killing animals.
I just hate killing them. Like the dogs in Call of Duty World at war and Black Ops, or the Blind Dogs in Stalker.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
The Rookie Gamer said:
For me, it's being hunted by a unkillabe enemy.
There's one.

Curtisthekiller said:
There's two.

As for three through six:

Any time I'm forced to preform an act of extreme cruelty, I'm a sadist an' all but there are times in games where the protaganist just does something unnecesserily cruel eg. God of War/Tsuki possession

Any time I'm forced to endure complete stupidity and no one points it out in game eg. The cult in Suikoden Tierkis, Destiny does not work that way!

Any time there is a blatent or implicit act of betrayal by the protaganist, particularly if it was toward someone the spent a lot of time with eg. Saya no Uta

And finally, whenever something is done to the fingernails, I don't know why but that always seems worse than anything else they can do eg. None in games, but Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a good example.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Dango said:
The library in Metro 2033. Staring those librarians in the eye and hoping they didn't try to kill you.
What? Those huge gorrilla things?

I just cracked out the heavy Auto-Shotgun and got on with it. Like a man!

BLS

Apr 20, 2009
Cutting your own finger off in heavy rain, that just plain messed me up

Veldaroth

Jul 21, 2009
Mexico in Red Dead Redemption made me uncomfortable. You are forced to help the government kill all of the men in a town so that they could have the women. I immediately shot the leader of the people I was working with and lost the mission. Somehow I made it through all of the story missions in Mexico, but I was angry through the whole thing. After that, I went on a killing spree and felt a little better... Only a little though.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
When my head is damaged in Fallout New Vegas and the screen blurs up. Outside of the game, my eyes begin to hurt and I get a headache.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Not sure about physical discomfort, but I remember feeling sick in Silent Hill 3. There's a part in the church where the soundtrack starts pulsing and it sounds like the walls are moving (and everything is covered in grime and blood). It makes you feel like the city is an organism that has swallowed you. Which is another thing that creeps me out.

Also, Quake 4 (yes, I know it wasn't a good game). The "stroggification" cutscene. I'm used to gore, but there's something about it that made me feel uneasy. It just keeps going and going.

And for things the developers probably didn't intend: I hate fighting female enemies. Not sure why, but it makes me kind of depressed.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
vrbtny said:
Dango said:
The library in Metro 2033. Staring those librarians in the eye and hoping they didn't try to kill you.
What? Those huge gorrilla things?

I just cracked out the heavy Auto-Shotgun and got on with it. Like a man!
That's what I did on my second playthrough after I found out how absurdly easy they are to kill.