Things People Say That Piss You Off

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
It bugs me when people add words to the end of acronyms that are already in the acronym. Like PIN number, or ATM machine, etc.
The Department of Redundancy Department at its finest, no?

djs.specs said:
"Legalising gay marriage will lead to the legalisation of polygamy, incest, paedophilia and bestiality."

I desperately loathe 'slippery slope' arguments in general, but this one has a special place in my blackened heart. While no-one's dared say it to my face yet, my slapping hand is primed for when someone is stupid enough to do so.
ALL OF MY HATE GOES OUT TO THEM! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

...Ahem. Sorry, I just really, really hate the slippery slope argument in context relating to gay marriage. I support these people greatly in what they do, and equating them with pedophiles, polygamists, and bestiality- or incest-practitioners really does get to me. They're human beings like you or I, and they have enough moral standards to not go down any of those previously mentioned paths. They just happen to love the same gender, nothing more.

JWRosser said:
snip, because this is becoming quite a wall
Ooh ooh, all of these too! I hate people for this, as these mistakes seem to be spreading like a virus!

OT: I also hate when people say "could care less". I would find that one video of...I forget his name, but I really couldn't care less.

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
"It's all good."

Have you looked at the recent state of the human fucking species? No, it is not all good. It's mostly shit.

You know what I say to people who say that? Go eat a blue waffle and then tell me "It's all good".
I have only heard that phrase used in regards to specific events, never as a reference to everything in the world. As an example if someone mishears you or messes up on something but doesn't completely ruin a situation you would say, "No worries, its all good." I have never heard it used to refer to everything in the world, in which case I suppose I would agree with you, but I don't see a problem when referring to specific events.

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009
I thought of some more because I'm just that uptight. 'Loose' and 'lose' are not the same word people. I know it's been said quite a bit in this thread already, but 'could've' being written 'could of'. Lastly, there is no room in this world for people who spell 'definitely' 'd-e-f-i-n-a-t-e-l-y'. There is no 'a' in 'definitely', you have just ensured we can never hang out.

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
This topic is cool, but I'm going to go to the ATM machine, lemme just put in my PIN number and we'll go get some KFC chicken. o_O

HATE that kind of stuff. The abbreviation (or whatever, it's like 1 on the morning I'm allowed to make mistakes) are there to stop you saying that last word.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
"X proves that Y", i.e., My kid played a violent video game, he then proceeded to hit me over the head with an axe. That proves that video games cause axe related violence.

People can't seem to tell the difference between correlation and causation.
This this this this this this this this this.

This.

Did I mention this?

Yeah. On a more serious note, I also hate it when people are overly philosophical about everything, especially if I'm trying to talk to them about stuff like science or politics.

Yes, maybe it WAS a fucking space fairy that created us and shit, but I prefer to keep to the scientific method that actually has some fucking use. I don't mind discussing religion and absurd theories, but NOT when I'm trying to discuss real shit, thank you very much.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
teh lurker said:
I hate it when people leave words out of sentences. For example, when someone says "all the sudden" instead of "all of the sudden". Granted, I think using suddenly is more efficient in that case, but no matter.
Except for the fact that it's "all of a sudden" and not "all of the sudden". Surely you can see the irony in commenting on the grammatical mistakes of others while implementing bad grammar yourself.

OT: Nothing really irks me to a massive degree when it comes to how people say things, or what they say, I mostly just find it amusing. However, I suppose I may get a little bit of a "what the hell?" moment when people say blatantly false things and try to pass them off as fact, but I'm probably more likely to get a little irked by the kind of idiots who hang on their every word without bothering to actually get their facts straight (These would be your creationists or anyone who actually agrees with anything Bill O'Reilly says). I suppose a little autonomy, logic and skepticism is too much to ask these days.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Lagao said:
People who use internet terms in real life.
and online?
Memes. I hate them.
This! Exactly!

When I hear a friend of mine say "you jelly?" I just feel like slapping the crap out of him!
ARGH!!

Sep 14, 2009
Mandalore_15 said:
When people say "I could care less". So pretty much just Americans. But seriously, come on!
...but what if they could care less?

there are plenty of times where i really could care less, then what happens to your rage meter?

mkjm

Jul 20, 2011
I can't believe that no one has said "noone" in this thread. It's the same as "alot" but I find "noone" to be worse for some reason.

"noone is gonna notice."

What? Noon? What is going on at noon?

"no man noone."

Someone get me a stick and a book on basic spelling and grammar.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
JWRosser said:
Good God too many things...

When people mix up "your" and "you're".
When people say "could of" instead of "could have".
When people mix up "brought" and "bought".
When people say "can't be asked" instead of "can't be arsed".
People who think Britain and England are the same thing.
People who overuse the word literally. Mainly, I find, females - or at least, a lot of my female friends do. "I literally died of laughter", "literally, I just thought, I want to kill him" NYARRGHHH

There are loads more but I can feel myself getting angry as I type...
If you know the difference between Holland and the Netherlands (without looking it up), I will be more specific about British/English people.

On Topic: Religion, in any form. It should not exist anymore, especially not in this century. Also PUG-ing in WoW.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
"X is good in theory, but bad in practice." This does a great disservice to good theories everywhere. Either (e.g.) the theory of communism is correct, and people will be better off in this certain social arrangement, or it is incorrect (e.g. in its assumptions about human nature), and people will be better off in some other type of society. "Good in theory" turns theories into mere pretty ornaments can be hung on actions.

"Well, yes and no..." when talking about something that is one way in one situation, and another way in another situation.

Lagao said:
People who use internet terms in real life.
and online?
Memes. I hate them.
Totally agree. The first time I heard someone say "lol" in conversation I was literally stunned. (Surely no-one would... I mean, unironically... isn't anyone else seeing what is wrong with...)

Also, people who use the word "meme" when they are talking about a theme. Memes are things that funtion analogously to genes, but are in the psychological rather than biological realm. Repeating shitty jokes does not make something a meme, it is instead an unimaginative game of theme and variations.

I don't get the acronym redundancy hate though (ATM machine &c.). I don't know what half of that rubbish stands for; as far as I'm concerned acronyms are words unto themselves. And if we're in a noisy bar, I'm going to find it much easier to answer "where's the ATM machine" than I am "where's the ATM".

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Well i'm diabetic, and I HATE it when random people find out and then think they need to educate me about the nature of my illness and/or tell me the mundane adventure about some diabetic relative of theirs, believing this is the only way to relate with a diabetic person. EXAMPLE: some distant relative of mine came to my uncles party and I was having a drink by the bar. Now l admit I drink, not in excessive amounts, but I drink allot. So i'm trying to work my magic with some girl and he comes over with "HEY your Gordons son", I say hi, introduce my self or something then its "so and so told me your diabetic, you shouldn't be drinking if your diabetic". Then its " I have a cousin whose diabetic, I shall tell you about her for some reason" Then its " some fat twat told me this causes diabetes, and it will be cured by this date". By that point i'm hating life and tell him that their are a few theory's on how diabetes is caused with real scientific facts ( I'm a med student) but know, i'm young and cant possible be right.

Worst of all, I later wanted to ditch, to go clubbing and he goes to my mum " Can he go clubbing with his diabetes". No I will fucking go comatose the second I walk through the doors you fat shit, how much do you really know about this illness, do you think loud noise causes blood sugar to drop. Or do you question whether or not i'm trusted to go out and not kill myself. Worst he asks my mum.

This is just an example, but really I hate talking about my illness, in almost any context.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Sojoez said:
It doesn't apply in English I think, but in Dutch there is this saying that goes kinda like this. "Thats for you a question and for me a know."
If someone gives me that answer after a question I will rage. because basically they are saying that they know the answer to your question but wont tell you because they are either too elitist or too bored to tell you.

Such arrogance!!!! *slap*
There is an English equivalent of that - "That's for me to know and you to find out".It's bloody annoying when someone says that.If you know the answer to my question just tell me you prick

"He/she's just a child" and "He/she doesn't know any better" - These piss me off because they're usually trotted out after a child misbehaves and no effort is made to correct/discipline the child.No being a child is not a valid excuse for acting like a little shit and they never will know any better unless you do something about it

Marcus McLean

May 12, 2010
I don't see why people are so annoyed by people saying 'could of'. They're probably actually saying 'could've' most of the time.

For me it's the whole 'could care less' thing, a lot of British chav slang (sket, peng, deep, rudeboi, badman, yagetme, poompoom, clunge, reem, banter, innit, etc.), also I'm not sure when people started using the annoying phrase "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" as their ACTUAL argument without adding anything else, but apparently that is not all that is necessary.