Things that are illegal, that you don't have problem with

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
AdmiralMemo said:
So, in summary, pirating music (and games, etc.) is wrong, but the problem doesn't lie completely at the end of the consumer.
Yes, it does. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Its a concept so simple its silly. And if you don't like it... why steal it in the first place?

As for my reply to you... sorry for the first part. The rest was aimed at everyone though.

probunk

Nov 12, 2009
There's a simple test to see what I object to:

Does the action, plan or idea directly harm other people, physically, financially, mentally, or otherwise? If yes, then it is objectionable. If no, then it is not.

A short list:
- Personal weapons possession.
- Personal recreational drug use.
- Most financial activities (remove regulations, basically).
- Prostitution.
- Hate speech.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
oh: It should be legal to pirate games published by Activision as long as you send a check for the game's cost to the game studio.

On a related note, I think I've thought of a way to protest Activision's evilness...

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
I think all drugs should be legalized, because if everyones walking around high up to their eyes, its less competition.

Prostitution should be legal, because, seriously, who gives a fuck?

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Merciless slaughter of the innocent! I mean REALLY, who doesn't do that!? It makes no sense for it to be illegal, its not like it is hurting anyone...or not anyone important anyway.

chunkeymonke

Sep 25, 2009
I love how people are saying piracy should be legal put your self in this position. You make a product put it in a store and hope it sells to your fanbase a decent number of people buy it buy just as many people sneak in at night and steal it. about 1% of them get caught and at the same time people are picketing your store saying how stealing your product should be legal.
Also prostitution could never be legal because do you really think the government would waste millions of dollars and countless hours just because you haven't had sex in a bit and don't want to make an effort to actually meet a person who doesn't have sex for money?
I would like to clarify before i post this paragraph that i have never done any type of drug okay? Pot in my opinion should be illegal because if there are decent number of pot heads now who can only get weed occasionally because of the law imagine what will happen if its fucking legal. More people will do it as it is no longer illegal and people who already do it would fucking OD on it.
Last thing people who say some things should be legal "under certain circumstances" forget that that is a relative term. What is a certain circumstance to you?

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Define "don't have a problem with".

I "don't have a problem with" marijuana in the general sense but if my little sister started doing it I'd have a huge problem with it.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
chunkeymonke said:
Also prostitution could never be legal because do you really think the government would waste millions of dollars and countless hours just because you haven't had sex in a bit and don't want to make an effort to actually meet a person who doesn't have sex for money?
The government make a huge profit out of safe, licensed, regulated and controlled prostitution in countries that have it. It also almost destroys the problem of illegal street prostitution. Saying that they would waste "millions of dollars" is extremely misinformed.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
AdmiralMemo said:
So, in summary, pirating music (and games, etc.) is wrong, but the problem doesn't lie completely at the end of the consumer.
Yes, it does. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's a concept so simple, it's silly. And if you don't like it... why steal it in the first place?

As for my reply to you... sorry for the first part. The rest was aimed at everyone though.
True enough, but the time-honored "free sample" should be used more. People aren't going to know whether they like something or not unless they try it first. Cars have test drives. Games have demos. Books will have their first chapter printed in other books. People are resistant to change, and to change a habit, like going from not buying Band A's music (because you've never heard it) to buying it, will need something to get over that hurdle, and free, obligationless samples are something that does that. So, 20-second clips of all the songs, or 1 complete free song from each album (because styles change over time, so just because you like Band A's old stuff doesn't mean you'll like the new stuff) might be sufficient enough to appease the people.

The only other reason to not buy something you like is lack of funding. If Product X is over-priced, not many people will buy it, even if it's good, useful, entertaining, or whatever. Or if Person Y is poor and can't afford it, they won't buy it, even if they like it. This one is a bit more complex, and harder to fix. Over-pricing is pretty simple, but the main issue is that everyone wants more and more money, so prices will always continue to rise. The easy way to do that is to increase price without increasing the cost to make it. This is the way most companies work. (The smarter way is to keep the price the same, but decrease the cost to make it. That's typically trickier, but is better for the whole economy in the long run.)

Anyone wonder why you could get a gumball in the 50s for a penny or a nickel, but today, it takes 50 or 75 cents now to buy one? Prices have slowly risen, and the only reason we haven't complained much is that income has also risen to meet rising costs. Minimum wage has risen to about $7 per hour, give or take. Why? Because stuff costs so much to buy. Why does it cost so much? Companies raised prices to get more profit. A person making $7 per hour today isn't REALLY making anything over someone making $2 per hour in the 50s, even though they're making more than 3 times as much money.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
AdmiralMemo said:
Anyone wonder why you could get a gumball in the 50s for a penny or a nickel, but today, it takes 50 or 75 cents now to buy one? Prices have slowly risen, and the only reason we haven't complained much is that income has also risen to meet rising costs. Minimum wage has risen to about $7 per hour, give or take. Why? Because stuff costs so much to buy. Why does it cost so much? Companies raised prices to get more profit. A person making $7 per hour today isn't REALLY making anything over someone making $2 per hour in the 50s, even though they're making more than 3 times as much money.
That's monetary inflation you are describing, not greed (Though I'm sure that has something to do with it as well).

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY

When are people going to realize the "war on drugs" is a huge waste of money and effort? We should be spending all that money and time fighting poverty and poor education instead.
Also, OD on marijuana, hahahah, practically speaking it's impossible to do enough weed to OD. All you're going to do is get really high, if you'd die from smoke inhalation before you'd die from the drug. Maybe if you extracted the THC and injected it but I still highly doubt you'd do enough to OD.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
Marijuana, gay marriage, gay adoption and polygomy are the only things that are illegal that I don't have a problem with.
I'm gay, so I wish to have the same marriage rights as anyone else (regardless if it's a civil union or not). This goes for gay adoption, it's only illegal in most US states because the old conservative establishment considers it threatening to their respective church's traditional role as the nation's socio-political masters

Though I'm sure polygomy would be a lot harder to justify in a secular setting, but I'm sure it's possible and workable for some people. Though open relationships/marriages with a select/safe few other people would be an alternative.

I don't smoke Marijuana or consume any stubstance that stimulates or mellows your mental process (aside from natural caffine and amino-acids). But I find pot far safer for you in moderation than harder "legal" stuff like K2 (which I do think should be outlawed because it's not even regulated by any health organizations or no studies have been conducted on how safe it is).

I say stick to natural stuff.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Dags90 said:
Hashime said:
Pumping your own gas?
Pumping your own gas. I wouldn't want to do it, but I don't have a problem with it.
But it is illegal in your area? I've never heard of that. In fact I can't think of a single full service gas station in my area.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Hashime said:
But it is illegal in your area? I've never heard of that. In fact I can't think of a single full service gas station in my area.
Yup. I've seen some silly foreigners (Pennsylvanian, I think) try and pump their own gas, they got yelled at and it was quite amusing.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
AdmiralMemo said:
That's monetary inflation you are describing, not greed (Though I'm sure that has something to do with it as well).
Question: Would we even HAVE much monetary inflation if people sold stuff at or just above cost? I highly doubt it.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Dags90 said:
Hashime said:
Yup. I've seen some silly foreigners (Pennsylvanian, I think) try and pump their own gas, they got yelled at and it was quite amusing.
What possible reason could the government have for making pumping gas illegal?
We just pump our gas, go the desk and pay, or just swipe a credit card and pump away.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Sacman said:
Danzaivar said:
Owning a television without a license. Fuck you, BBC.

Oh and prostitution. And drugs. Fighting too, when both sides consent (Duelling even!).
wait you need a license to own a tv? you can literally find them laying on the street over here...
Oh you find them lying on the street here. But if you take it home, and your house doesn't have a license...you're a damn dirty criminal.

MrCherry

Oct 2, 2010
Danzaivar said:
Sacman said:
Danzaivar said:
Owning a television without a license. Fuck you, BBC.

Oh and prostitution. And drugs. Fighting too, when both sides consent (Duelling even!).
wait you need a license to own a tv? you can literally find them laying on the street over here...

Oh you find them lying on the street here. But if you take it home, and your house doesn't have a license...you're a damn dirty criminal.

In England, You can own A TV without a licence aslong as you DO NOT watch A BBC channel (Thats what the Licence pays for)
They are also enforcing this for people with A Computer (Well you can watch IPlayer)
Mobile Phones with TV capability (WTF?)
And other such devices

This is just another way for the BBC to try and get as much money as possible and for the goverment to tax is and get a large share for themselves...

On a lighter note, Cannabis and Prostitution should be regulated and Legalised, if the goverment started to legalise Cannabis, not only would they make alot of cash, but also there wouldn't be any of the crap added in by dealers (It happens, trust me)