Things that instantly kill your interest in a game

Killertje

Dec 12, 2010
Anything with sports or racing that doesn't involve blowing up my enemies with rocket launchers as an alternative to winning the normal way.

zombieeater6000

Oct 1, 2010
Lack of local coop in a lot of games from the current gen
Graphics whoring i'd rather game play over graphics any day
Motion controls
Pricing(Aus)$120 for a game on release
Just to name a few

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
TornadoCreator said:
Wintermute_ said:
Turn based combat. Anyone here remember a game by the name of Lost Odyssey? I doubt you do. One of the most amazing trailers for a game I've ever seen, interesting premise. I eagerly bought up the 4 disc title, and as I preped for the supposedly astounding opening battle...

turn based combat. No quicker way to kill excitement and produce repetitive boring gameplay.
Couldn't disagree more. Lost Odyssey is one of my favourite games... but to buy a game which actively advertises that it's made by the original developers of Final Fantasy and harkens back to the old PSOne/SNES games, and not expecting turn based combat. Did you even read the box before buying it?
I'll concede, I probably should have researched it a bit more before making a purchase. But the trailer implied that the fluid combat I saw would be in gameplay. I got turnbased combat.
Doesn't change the fact that turnbased is, IMHO, an annoyingly boring system. And god knows that Lost Odyssey certainly didn't save itself in the story departed, art department, or at all really...

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
When playing a game, I noticed I'm much more favorable to lots of colors. Taste the RAINBOW!
That all grey, brown, black shit usually means I won't buy it.

Which means many games my friends adore, I won't buy because it's usually all dark and gritty and...eww.

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
Burnseasons said:
Okay..your example has to be trolling >>
Neir is NOT Black and white. At the best its Black and Grey.
I wouldn't know because like the title of the topic says, as soon as I saw that projectile-loss-of-meal worthy start, I lost interest and stopped playing about 1 hour in.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Ninjat_126 said:
Bioshock isn't "Rapture: The Game". Infinite has the same dystopian-style setting, the RPG style weapon/ability customisations, giant mechanical horrors and crowds of psychopathic madmen. That sounds a lot like Bioshock to me, and I actually like the new direction the series is taking.
Really? Because the way I see it you were never playing through the stories of Jack or Delta. You were playing through the history of Rapture. You were experiencing a city unlike any other. Now suddenly there is ANOTHER city? Ah suddenly Rapture is no longer unique, What? There are things exactly like plasmids in that city in the sky? Ok so now ADAM is no longer unique. What you have to get into that city and then escape? Wait a tick... this is Bioshock copy and pasted... again. Believe what you want. Buy the game if you want, I won't attempt to stop you. I will not dive in front of the door to Gamestop as you pull up and scream, "NOOOO DON'T DO IT!!!!" I just refuse to feed the man that had once upon a time been my hero who so casually copies and pastes the same story not once. But twice and then attempts to shovel it back out at me as, 'Original'. I might be a little more accepting of it if they hadn't named it Bioshock, and instead had named it something new. By naming it bioshock they sully the name, and ruin the franchise for me.

Have fun buying generic crap! :D And I honestly, and I am serious, I honestly mean that from the bottom of my heart. Because if that is all it takes to bring you happiness, who am I to argue with you? Me on the other hand? Well casually throwing away a great story of Rapture just to move on to another special town? It just isn't enough for me.

MrFluffy-X

Jun 24, 2009
YOUM@D123 said:
i know i'm probably gonna get alot of crap for this but i'm not really into rpg's what makes matters worse is alot of cool idea's have been wasted on them
but...but...you have pikachu as your avatar!

Anyway: if it uses the phrase "family fun"
If the trailer states "NOT IN-GAME FOOTAGE"
If on the Box-art there are reviews giving it 8 out of 10 from gamemaster (they know nothing, they usually give any big up-coming game a 10 so if they give a game an 8 then it must be terrible).

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I had to dive deep into my subconscious to find this gem, but I'd say live action box art. As an escapist, I have a thing for escapism, so I don't like seeing a real person posing on the front of the box. Besides, that's kind of an indirect way of saying either, "This is a real world simulation", "This game is marketed to people who think the imaginary worlds of video games are weird and unappealing" (casuals), or "We're too cheap to bother with hiring artists for our box cover." Definitely judgmental, but on a subconscious level, it often makes me decide to get something else.

Another thing that turns me off right away is if the box art conveys a conventional western fantasy setting and the title has a conventional western fantasy buzzwords in it, like "Dragon", "Wizard" "Demon", "Elf", etc. If not for the reviews, I probably would have skipped over Demon's Souls. I'm just getting tired of conventional western fantasy at this point. Kind of like World War 2, five years ago.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Japanese influence, as in RPGs: nothing gets me more bored then some laughably ridicolous looking characters/weapons/enemies.

Joby Baumann

Apr 19, 2011
2 weapon limit: (every fps out nowadays) oh you weren't prepared for the tanks and only have a shotgun and a rifle? well too bad, now you only get the 2 shots with the rocket we put on the other side of them.

iron sights: you wanna be able to hit that sniper? well lets cut your movement speed to a quarter of what it was, to make it fair.

No splitscreen: hey we have great co-op, but you can't be in the same room as your friends to enjoy it

slow movement accompanied by a sprint function: you want to avoid being shot? well fine you can move quickly, but you cant be shooting while doing so.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Coldster said:
Abedeus said:
Coldster said:
Japanese-style anime usually turns me off a game. That doesn't mean I hate all games like that, it just means that I don't usually buy them (or even like them). I love Kingdom Hearts but thats about it for those kind of games.
Excuse me, but... is there a NON-Japanese anime? I mean other than Korean/Chinese ones?
Actually yes there is, and you know it too. They usually go by the name of cartoons. Have you ever seen Teen Titans? That is a perfect example of American Anime. So is the 80s Transformers and Xiaolin Showdown. Look them up if you haven't seen them, then you'll understand what I mean.
Pretty sure nobody would call any of those shows "anime". Stylized to look like anime, yeah. But it's still a cartoon.

It's basically calling slideshow a "movie with less frames". Not same thing, right?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
deathbydeath said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
When I see these damming letters: 'RTS'

I've given RTS titles a chance but since I'm more of a console player than anything I never really had much of a selection of RTS titles. Starcraft was alright but I knew the cheats and I've never enjoyed any other. Also, PC exclusives. My current PC is powered by one very old and slightly over-weight gerbil so gaming isn't really an option for me on this machine.
actually, something that's pc-only is a MAJOR turn-on for me, because I know that it's probably going to be something unique and niche that simply wouldn't be viable releasing on all three major platforms.
The most I can do for online gaming is flash-based games like you'd fine on Newgrounds and, Adultswim and, etc. Good stuff on the whole but that's where I'm stuck with. I am bitter for being unable to play The Witcher
it's easier than you think, but i do see your point