Things that Skyrim Needs

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Because the game doesn't have enough depth already I thought Escapists what they think Skyrim is lacking.

I'll go first.

Whales. Those northern oceans seem rather barren horkers notwithstanding. So I want some whales. I want to be able to slay the whales and harvest their meat and blubber.

A cold meter. Swimming around icebergs without nary a wetsuit or a poition of frost resistance is hurting my immersion and verisimulitude. Likewise wandering around in a blizzard in inappropriate clothing.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Fishing rods. Just to show those slaughter fish who's boss

A quest to make a prototype gun, only to have it destroyed while fighting some bad guy/boss so that the world still relies on good ol' sword and magic. Just for the lolz.

The ability to versus other players? Kind of like the invasion ability in Demon Soul.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
maybe its just me that is too early in the game, but besides people talking about it, there doesn't seem to be too much a civil war going on.

and in the nitpick department, horses seem incredibly robotic to me, maybe i dont remember right but did't horses wander in oblivion instead of homing in on the precise spot they came from.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
O maestre said:
maybe its just me that is too early in the game, but besides people talking about it, there doesn't seem to be too much a civil war going on.

and in the nitpick department, horses seem incredibly robotic to me, maybe i dont remember right but did't horses wander in oblivion instead of homing in on the precise spot they came from.
Wild horse would be cool. Need them to be scard of humans without something like a calm spell or taming potion.

Or apples. Lots of apples.

Also horses need saddlebags; this would make it actually hurt when horses died.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
O maestre said:
There is a 'war' between the Imperials and stormcloaks but it's not much. Still it's great fun to sic Odaving on a fort full of enemies. Wish there was more though.

Nouw said:
Giant snakes. It'd be fun to go giant snake hunting!
SNAAAAAKE!!!

a cookie for those who get it

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Deeper characterization. That is my one issue with the game and it is an issue that prevents me from being able to enjoy it as much as I should.

blackguard89

Aug 5, 2010
Akimoto said:
O maestre said:
There is a 'war' between the Imperials and stormcloaks but it's not much. Still it's great fun to sic Odaving on a fort full of enemies. Wish there was more though.

Nouw said:
Giant snakes. It'd be fun to go giant snake hunting!
SNAAAAAKE!!!

a cookie for those who get it
I get the Snake refference.....It's from Metal Gear Solid....

What Skyrim needs?
IS THAT NOT OBVIOUS?
It needs moar "arrow to the knee" . 'Nuff said.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Akimoto said:
O maestre said:
i hope your post was sarcastic..... i am not as thick as not to notice who is participating in the war you are practically beaten over the head with that information no matter who you talk to, my point was that it doesn't seem as if the there are any major campaigns

if you meant to point something else out and i missed it then please clarify

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Look at any list of mods, there are a few that really should've been put in Skyrim in the first place. I really liked Oblivion's sorting system for the inventory, and I can't see much reason why it wasn't put in Skyrim. Okay, sure, maybe it was to appease the console users, it seems like a system designed for PC. STILL, no excuse for laziness, Bethesda!
Also, making mineral deposits really obvious would've been nice. The first time I came upon a vein of ore, I pretty much stumbled over it. And of course, no pickaxe, because I didn't really know that you could mine stuff until just then.

As for the really neat stuff, I second the giant snakes. Actually, more giant anything. I would love to see more larger-than-life creatures. Hell, I want to see a master-level potion or spell that lets YOU grow giant.
We're in a fantasy land, so crank that fantasy up to 11, dammit! One of my favorite side quests in Oblivion was where I went inside a painting. OOH! And that one wizard's guild quest where you went into a guy's dream and had to accomplish all those totally non-combat trials. MORE OF THAT!

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
overpuce said:
Akimoto said:
Fishing rods. Just to show those slaughter fish who's boss
There are already (non-usable) fishing rods scattered around Skyrim. An example can be found on the well in Solitude (near the 3 outdoor vendors that sell fish, vegitables and spiced wine).

Isn't it obvious what Skyrim REALLY REALLY needs?

1) A quest that involves the Penitus Oculatus. I would REALLY like to see the wide assortment of rabble that are conspiring against the Emperor.

2) Molotov Cocktails: You can find linen in dungeons and there is booze EVERYWHERE in Skyrim.

3) More armor and weapon varieties.

4) More brawling.

5) More cities.

6) Horse Armor (that does protect the horse).

7) Mounted combat and weapons.

8) Giants riding giant horses.

9) Better puzzles.
I wasn't thinking any of these in particular, but certainly deeper combat mechanics. At the moment all my combat boils down to "spam firebolt". Not even fireball, or as I call it "Lydia killer". I'd definately like to see spell combos. DAO did it well - Freeze someone solid then punch them and you get little bad guy cubes. In this context, Ice spell + Ice weapon + Fus Ro Da should do the trick.

Better puzzles hell yes. Heck, puzzles plural. Something other than "Here's a combination lock, walk around til you see the combination on the wall over there." At least maybe put the combination in another dungeon or something, as they stand its rather pathetic.

I'd throw in "hardcore mode" as well, make sleep and food more than just a gimmick.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
O maestre said:
i hope your post was sarcastic..... i am not as thick as not to notice who is participating in the war you are practically beaten over the head with that information no matter who you talk to, my point was that it doesn't seem as if the there are any major campaigns

if you meant to point something else out and i missed it then please clarify
I'm sorry for my post, there was no sarcasm intended and I should have phrased it in a better way. I honestly think the war was a bit too short and not as grand as I expected it to be.

To quote you, the phrase to better use would be major campaigns. Thanks for pointing that out. Cheers!

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
overpuce said:
2) Molotov Cocktails: You can find linen in dungeons and there is booze EVERYWHERE in Skyrim.

3) More armor and weapon varieties.

6) Horse Armor (that does protect the horse).

7) Mounted combat and weapons.

8) Giants riding giant horses.
A toast to you sir. I especially love the molotov idea.

overpuce said:
4) More brawling.
Kinda like fight clubs?

madhousezack

May 9, 2011
I think they should work more types of crime into the thieves guild. Right now they have extortion, blackmail, theft, destruction of property, breaking and entering, assault, murder, pick pocketing, bribery, arson, and lollygagging. I think they need to add illegal surveillance, drug trafficking, forgery, vandalism, identity theft, illegal cage fights, gambling, and shenanigans.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Spears,Pikes,Halberts - All manner of polearms, really.

Humanoids with proper health - People should die from a dragon's fiery breath if they're not blocking it with a steel shield. Also arrows to faces should mean something. Like, say, death.

Traffic - The occassional carriage or courier(on horseback) riding along the roads would be nice. Or maybe a platoon of soldiers marching to wherever. A few random battles between stormcloaks, imperials, forsworn or bandits would be cool also.

Draugr rebalance - Instead of giving us endless streams of deathlords as we level up, instead send the occassional group of 20 or so regular ones. Just to give us some alteration.

Bigger, better cities - It would also be nice if whiterun could get some guys working on the walls to make it seem like they actually give a shit about their personal savety. They don't have to do anything, just like the guys chopping wood. Make it look like they're fixing the walls.

Wolves and other pests - Why do they have to sit on the road all the time? These creatures are supposed to stalk prey in forests not attack them outright on the middle of the day. And you'd think them capable of smelling the dragonblood in your veins and consider you too big a target? Maybe?

Different carriage scripting - Meaning that skipping the journey should be optional. Maybe I want to sit in the carriage and enjoy the ride to the next city?

More conversation animations - Make people move their arms or change pose a little bit. I don't get the impression that the jarl's are particularly conserned about the dragons I warn them about if they keep sitting in their thrones with the same expression.

And there's much, much more that could be improved dramatically.

Still a great game, though.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'll be honest, I'd rather like to be able to fight in the water again. Not being able to makes Slaughterfish kind of annoying. :/ However I'm just waiting till I can get my computer up and running nicely. Then I ought to be able to play it there, and mod a few new things that people come up with into the game. I think that more variety in the enemies would be good as well. It's getting to the point that just Draugr or Bandits is a little irritating. :/ Just some more variety would be all. Nothing much. Just more than different varieties of the same creatures.