Jul 4, 2009
The ones that I want (and will probably attempt to make) will be:

-Vampire "Guild" with the ability to turn and make your own covant
-Werewolf "Guild" ^
-Skull Goblets that you can drink from
-Castle with a throne to lounge across looking jaded and old
-Companion graveyard to visit while not moping on your throne
-Giant boss Animals to hunt in a Big Game Hunt style quest
-Maybe some cool quests from an ancient Spriggan for some Nature spirit style adventures

Tonnes of shit possible with the only restrictions being my vague programming knowledge >.>

Apocalyptore

Mar 28, 2011
Gripe that comes up most often for me: Followers need horses of their own. Or at least the ability to jump onto my horse. Hate having to stop every thirty seconds so Lydia the Useless can catch up. And on that subject: Dear Bethesda-- I don't know if all the followers in Skyrim are this annoying, but if we all have to start with Lydia, make her less of a derp.
Otherwise, more weapons and armor would be nice.
And bigger, more intimidating dragons. As powerful as single-handedly killing a dragon makes me feel, it'd feel even better if the mere roar of the dragon made me want to turn around and run as opposed to how I usually react: "OOOH DRAGON! WHERE IS IT!? IMMA HIT IT WITH A STICK! GET 'EM HORSEY!"

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
somonels said:
A Creation Kit - the rest is provided by modders.
Bethesda are releasing it at the End of January along with the ability to use SteamWorks to download and install the mods!

And I would like to see Weapon Enchantments made Permanent! If you ether have an Enchanted Weapon or make one yourself I expect it to be Permanent! not somthing you have to pause in the middle of a battle to recharge.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
Wow, I like a lot of these ideas. I'll add my two cents I suppose:

-Warfare content: I haven't finished the main storyline mainly because I get the impression that there's no real sense of "need" once the major conflicts are resolved. I'd like to build up a few cities or sabotage a wall here and there. I want to be able to poison an entire garrison of guards in order to lead my troops to an easy victory.

-Lycanthropy: I know there's werewolves, you do not need to remind me. I also know that there's supposed to be werebears in Skyrim. And other provinces have a vast array of lycanthropic monsters as well. If I play as a Bosmer and contract a disease just called "Lycanthropy" I want to turn into a werevulture!

-Provincial Growth: This is a dream of mine ever since considering the idea of a multiplayer Tamriel, but have people immigrate into the province and build homes. Player cities! Player slums! Player economy! This is probably just me wishing I was old enough to get into SWG when it was good.

-Expansive Guilds: After I take over the Thieves Guild I want to set up another base, maybe in Markarth. As Archmage I want to try and introduce magic to the Nords and open a school in Solitude. Once I run the Dark Brotherhood I want to train my young assassins and teach them the art of death.

-Legacy: Ok, this is a stretch and it's only because of a certain other game I play, but what if after your character finishes their adventure and settle down and have a kid or adopt one from that crappy little orphanage, why not skip 15 years into the future and let you play as the child? Go throughout the world experiencing the influence their parent has made, maybe hunt down that one Necromancer that got away and got stronger.

These are probably more of a DLC thing, or entirely other game thing, but they are things I want in a game. And there is more than this, but if you read this far you can already see the god-delusions creeping into my visage. :D

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Apocalyptore said:
Gripe that comes up most often for me: Followers need horses of their own. Or at least the ability to jump onto my horse. Hate having to stop every thirty seconds so Lydia the Useless can catch up. And on that subject: Dear Bethesda-- I don't know if all the followers in Skyrim are this annoying, but if we all have to start with Lydia, make her less of a derp.
Otherwise, more weapons and armor would be nice.
And bigger, more intimidating dragons. As powerful as single-handedly killing a dragon makes me feel, it'd feel even better if the mere roar of the dragon made me want to turn around and run as opposed to how I usually react: "OOOH DRAGON! WHERE IS IT!? IMMA HIT IT WITH A STICK! GET 'EM HORSEY!"
I agree! Dragon fights for my character now aren't challenging so much as "YAY! I CAN GET A NEW SHOUT!"

OT: I would like to see dragon weapons. The dragon armor is nice, but I think a dragon bone sword would be pretty sweet.

Bucky01

Sep 28, 2010
hmmm
-more weapon varieties would be nice, like a crossbow or prototype pistol instead of a just bows.
-have an option to set all your preferred weapons on your characters body, just to look bad-ass with a bow and two swords at the hilt.
-able to fight in the water, seriously, i always run into the you can't fast travel because 1 measly fish wants to fight, but i cant hit it with my stick!
-able to fight while mounted on the horse, and while we're at it a carry pack on them to carry that excess loot after a dungeon
-more traffic along the roads
-more of the town taking missions when helping stormcloaks/imperials they where way better than the take the fort missions.
-more of the the fun random quests (like the one where you wake up from a drinking bender and you retrace your steps about trying to marry a prize winning goat)
-some dragons that are actually a decent fight, like when i faced two at the same time in falkrieth(?), that was good, also remove the dragons that dont attack, just sitting up there taunting you to try kill it, when you can't >.>
-something to avoid those damned rune traps
-more variations in enemies, im sick of draugr and bandits
-some guy above mention Molotovs and more fist fights
-but most importantly fix the DAMNED BUGS! i hate having quest items i cannot get rid of weighing me down after the mission is over, i hate how it says to do something Ive already completed

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
Blablahb said:
ACman said:
Because the game doesn't have enough depth already
I disagree. For a sandbox Skyrim has more than enough depth. A ton of it for a world that size anyway.

Which, without meaning to call you one of them, brings me to one thing Skyrim direly needs: Fewer idiots who don't understand sandbox, or even worse, Demon Souls and other jrpg fanboys, bashing Skyrim for not being things it is not, such as a tiny world with a tiny amount of people and plots and a bit more immersion.

That First Person comment on this website a few days ago hurt my eyes. That guy has no clue as to what's important for a specific genre, and pretty clearly just doesn't like sandbox games. It's like reviewing Fifa 12 while one has a rabbid hatred against football: it's never going to work.
Interesting.

No, really. Your position is genuinely interesting to me. In that, I'm not sure why you seem to feel the author of "Skyrim Is Soulless" dislikes sandbox games, or why you feel that sandbox has a particular meaning that precludes the things that he discusses. It's not the impression that I come away with. He has a point: Skyrim's large, open and supposedly self-perpetuating world (Radiant quests forever providing you with things to do, etc..) does feel a little lacklustre at times.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm certainly no JRPG fan and I barely even know what all this Demon Souls stuff is.

BUT: Skyrim's world, to paraphrase Irving Stone, is like a soup dish, wide but shallow. There's an undeniably large amount of stuff to be done, but that stuff has a tendency to feel less meaningful when the world fails to react to you doing it. What gets brought up in the article is perfectly within the scope of Skyrim; indeed it does it with other side-quests. And honestly, it's not even the best example of the minor tweaks that would make the dish feel deeper, the soup slightly more spiced. Agnis has clearly been built to react in a certain way; i.e she doesn't -care- that she's been "liberated." It's not here I'd like to see Skyrim tweaked but in more general NPC reactions.

It's more annoying to walk from Breezehome to Dragonsreach and bump into guards who say "I remember now, you're that new member of the Companions. So, what do you do, fetch the mead?" when you've chibbed Alduin and risen to the position of Harbinger. Clearly, completion of these relevant quests sets the flag to allow the relevant pieces of NPC sound bite to play this up. Would it have been so much more effort to set another flag turning -off- the earlier stage NPC comments?

Why do jobbing thieves think it's a good plan to accost and threaten a werewolf? Or a man in full dragonplate armour with a crackling ebony sword, mounted on a nightmare? How do guards in towns I've never visited before know about my "honeyed words?" (with my mighty Speechcraft 42), my lockpicking skills or that I "favour the bow" when not only am I not even sporting arrows on my back, but my Archery is less than a third of my one-handed? Equally, if I put on a complete Legion suit of armour and kit, why can't I be viewed as a common Legionnaire rather than every guard I bump into tutting at my releasing captive dragons or asking me if I can enchant their sword. It makes the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines particularly unimmersive; "Hello Dragonborn," says random guardsman #4587654 as I wander into town, dressed in the strangely skin-tight armour of the Dark Brotherhood...which covers my face.

I don't come away from reading the article with the belief that the author hates sandbox games. More that he finds, like many of us playing Skyrim, that the world's attempts to characterize itself and immerse the player in it actually get in the way of exactly that, more often than not. Skyrim is at its most immersive when you're out roaming its wilds: seeking for alchemical ingredients; new caves, camps and barrows, perhaps encountering some passerby who needs your help or whose corpse has a treasure map in its pockets. When you prick up your ears at the sound of a dragon's roar and start either fleeing or (more likely) hunting the creature. And most of the things that make the more RPG-orientated of us grind our teeth at it (just as we did with Oblivion before hand) could easily be fixed, as they're mostly pretty minor things.

What do I think Skyrim needs?
For its NPCs to shut up more. Or rather, for their random comments to be better contextualized.
Borrow the neat 'disguise' function from FO:NV.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Of all things, the ability to actually alter the freaking world a bit. You know, you kill the soul-eating god dragon in the sky and absolutely nothing's different. No one leaves gifts at your doorstep. No one stops and offers service to you. Shopkeepers never lower their prices or give you free stuff for saving their bloody world.

A part of this would also entail changing the power structure. I really resent the fact that you can't kill certain people, and that if you did by console command, nothing changes. Wouldn't it be awesome to have quests that had you kill Maven Black-Briar, or one of the Jarls, and let you see what would unfold? Backstabbing to claim their position; civil wars; lynch mobs... how about letting the player hold these positions? Wouldn't it be cool to become a Jarl? Wouldn't it be cool to have a strategy mini-game as a Jarl that allowed you to raise and consolidate troops and then unleash them to take a city or a hamlet, with possibly your corporeal assistance? I know I wasn't the only person disappointed with the civil war quests. A city changes hands- and guards change colors. Nothing changes. Give me a break, Skyrim.

Ross Tuddin

Sep 6, 2011
I would really like to have horseback fighting. I have only played TES since Oblivion but i don't see why I can't fire a bow or slice someones head off with a sword while on horseback. (not to mention Jousting) When games like Assassin's Creed and the Legend of Zelda have this type of fighting, it amazes me that Bethesda don't add it in. For a game series that goes out of its way to make you walk/ride literally miles with plenty of random encounters it seems a big oversite.

And why can't the horse decide to stomp on a wolf's head when I'm on the horse and yet 2 seconds after I dismount the horse can have killed it before I even get my swords out.

And I have no idea why Bethesda thought it would be a good idea to not put a holding breath bar for when im under water or how long before I need to reapply my water breathing spell.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
What does Skyrim need. Hrrrm.
-Deeper characters for one. 90% of them I don't care about as they are 'Generic NPC 00129345654F', and the ones that I do care about I don't care a lot about, there just isn't a lot said and done about many NPCs.
-Have characters have appropriate animations when talking. When someone is shouting angrily at another NPC I don't want to see them stand with their hands by their sides and turning their head towards me whilst obviously talking to that guy next to them. In Helgen, it was done better. Not perfect, but having whoever you follow bend over their fallen comrade and say something is a lot better than having them stand with their hands by their sides.
-Better AI. For enemies and allies. Companions derp too much, just running in and getting in my way. Most enemies do this too. There were a couple of boss fight exceptions, but for the most part, they just run up to me, get hit by my sword and die. This also extends to Dragons. They need to be able to fight better. Give them some more special attacks. That one hit kill thing they do if you're on low HP is interesting, but hardly enough. I'd even expand on that and have them do it to you like an ability any time, but with a cooldown, have it throw you up instead of to the side, and you have a quick time event sort of thing (DON'T HATE ME) where, yes you will still get hurt as it grabbed you in its jaws and shook you about a bit, but you can attack him on the way back down. See Dragon Age Origins finishing moves on dragons. Imagine that in Real Time, though maybe not a one hit kill for you. Just the effect of a power attack. Give them other abilities like picking up their enemies and dropping them from up high (Include a new feather fall spell and enchantment, and fix the fall damage). Make the fights more interesting.
-Less bugs. I don't care if its a big game and such, the bugs still need to get fixed. I am unable to complete numerous quests thanks to these bugs, and I'll be damned if that is something that I should have to cope with because its a big game.
-More balance. Currently, things are quite broken with sneak and conjuration being all powerful, and other pure classes being able to accidentally a god. Balance things out more.
-Spell combos ala DA:O. Would help account for the rather measly amount of spells in each school and make magic far more interesting.
-Include Headshots
-No RAM limit for PCs. After heavily modding my game, I was unable to run it due to not having enough memory allocated to Skyrim. Install the 4Gb Skyrim mod, and it works like a charm.
-Higher graphics options for the PC. Yes, yes, Skyrim's aesthetic is amazing and its graphics aren't that bad, but tell that to the 2Gb of Graphics upgrades I DL'd and installed and now it looks amazing. Most of the work needs to be done on the textures, they're not that good. After that, the water could be improved a bit. I'll give it looks great on vanilla, but a mod I have makes it look even better. Fire needs to not be opaque. Smoke effects could do with a bit of work. Lighting is a bit... uninspired. A shader mod I DL'd gives a nice warm feeling to each day, makes each night feel moonlit, and all round adds feeling to the lighting, as opposed to just 'its darker now', 'its lighter now'.
-Allow us to view the carriage journeys. I quite liked looking at the scenery in the intro. Y NO LATER.
-Allow us to buy more than one horse from each town. Have them restock. As it is, I run through horses at a rate of 3 per RL day. That's right. All of Skyrim's horse stocks lasted me 2 days.
-Better inventory and UI in general for the PC. Why is it so hard to number bar map things? WHY!?
-Random battles between Imperials and Stormcloaks that you come across whilst adventuring, and the whole 'Civil War' thing I explained in another thread.
-Bigger battles. Currently the civil war feels... small. There's only ever maybe 30 people in total in each fight. Now, look at DA:O when you
Enter the battle to retake Denerim.
That first area at the gates, before you enter the city proper, has you and all your companions fighting a hoard of Darkspawn. A LOT of them. That made my six year old PC lag, yes, but it was six years old. If something of even that small a scale (As it also didn't feel like a particularly large battle, except for the fact there was more going on in the rest of the city) would be better than current. In all honesty, I'd like 300 v 300 battles. That would feel like a battle.
-Better Radiant Quests. I'm pretty sure that every single quest out of the 50 or so I've picked up in the 'Miscellaneous' tab has had me have to find something. Whether it was an item, a person, anything, I had to find something and bring it back to them/tell them where it was.
-Better puzzles. Current ones are pathetic combination locks that either have the combo on some nearby stones, or on the claw used to open the door.
-More generally fun stuff to do, ala Morrowind.

Yes, its quite a list. I could probably think of more if I wanted to. Not all of them are high priority, some are. And yes, I understand that Skyrim is a big game, I don't care. Just because its good, doesn't mean we shouldn't make it better.

Blablahb said:
ACman said:
Because the game doesn't have enough depth already
I disagree. For a sandbox Skyrim has more than enough depth. A ton of it for a world that size anyway.

Which, without meaning to call you one of them, brings me to one thing Skyrim direly needs: Fewer idiots who don't understand sandbox, or even worse, Demon Souls and other jrpg fanboys, bashing Skyrim for not being things it is not, such as a tiny world with a tiny amount of people and plots and a bit more immersion.
Skyrim is a Sandbox RPG. Hell, Sandbox action RPG. It is from the 'The Elder Scrolls' series, whose previous games have had far more RPG elements, and often a little more depth because of that. It is perfectly reasonable to want more RPGness from Skyrim, and more depth. Simply because it is part sandbox does not mean that its other parts should be forgotten. What many people want is not a tiny world with tiny amounts of content but more depth and immersion, but a TES sized world with greater depth and immersion. Yes, a lot harder to do and a lot more work on behalf of the developers, but it is something we can dream about, and later install mods to the effect of. Something like that, Bioware level characters, with a Bethesda world, chuck in some quality assurance done by Valve, fix a few nitpicks people have with combat and such, and you'd have an amazing game. From there, it would be a matter of choice as to go for the more action oriented, such as Skyrim, the more RPG oriented, such as Morrowind, or a mix in between like what Bioware is going for with ME3. Somewhere along the line we have to get a good mix of Action and RPG, where neither sacrifices the other. Hell, Skyrim could do it. Include some more RPG-esque features, but don't make them compulsory.
A Skyrim with believable characters, more interesting puzzles, a few tweaks to some of its systems and quests and such to make it more polished, and that would be an amazing game. More depth is not necessarily something to be shunned because it is a part sandbox game. No, more depth should be embraced, as it doesn't just mean the removal of sandbox features, but more the tweaking of current features to make the game more immersive, and, in some cases, fun.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
*Coughs* Less overly critical people and more just having fun in the game.

That's all.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Ruwrak said:
*Coughs* Less overly critical people and more just having fun in the game.

That's all.
This isn't so much about criticism as it is about wanting little additions. You know, because we're spoilt brats who want the game of the year to be better.

Behazard

Oct 12, 2011
Monoochrom said:
5. Actual climbing. I know not all Characters are, but my Dovahkiin is a Nord and no matter what you are, you are in Skyrim, a place full of hills and mountains, I want a climbing mechanic.
I second this!

And an ore vein locater.. I keep forgetting where they were <_<

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Akimoto said:
Kinda like fight clubs?
Oi, we don't talk about those!

I want:
- beast tame and ride ability ( sabre cats, bears, horkers, mammoths, dragons,... bunnies )
- make your own guild ability ( hire and maintain your own private army, take over fortresses, mines, towns, farms,... and send my subordinates on those stupid ***** missions )

I'd have them all ride into battle on giant spiders and scare everyone to death.