Things that you refer to by an out of date name

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
So over time things tend to change names. A perfect example is when things get re-branded or change ownership. There are plenty of other reasons for such changes, but they happen. The reason doesn't matter, it happens, and often we tend to not go along with the name change. What are such examples of that for you?

For me it's a radio station. Here in Montreal our big pop radio station is Virgin Radio, and while I most often listen to its rock sister CHOM 97.7, I sometimes end up listening to them for whatever reason, but I, having listened to them mostly before the Virgin takeover, I still call it Mix 96.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Poundsign > Hashtag. #

I also still consider the DS and 3DS to be Gameboys.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I call spandex spandex still. I was really confused when I was coaching some high schoolers and they kept saying, "Under armor." And they looked at me like, "What the heck is spandex? You mean what super heroes wear?"

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
I call spandex spandex still. I was really confused when I was coaching some high schoolers and they kept saying, "Under armor." And they looked at me like, "What the heck is spandex? You mean what super heroes wear?"
Under Armor is a friggen brand...

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Jigga-watts and Jigga-bytes. its just funny and surprisingly not many people get the reference. Often even if I say 1.21 jiggabytes or jiggawatts right after.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Saelune said:
I also still consider the DS and 3DS to be Gameboys.
Oh yeah, they DID refer to it as the Gameboy DS for a short time. I completely forgot about that.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Hell, I didn't even know Underarmor was spandex. I thought the whole point of it, and why it was popular, was because it used something new.

Weird.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
The only one I can think of is a subway station. For school, I had to get off at 23rd Ely Avenue. It was around when I finished school they changed the name to Court Square 23rd Street, so it's still Ely to me.

Doesn't hurt that the wall mosaics for the station all still say 23rd Ely.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I occasionally refer to recording a t.v. program as 'taping' it, even though I haven't used a VCR in close to a decade.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I'm sure there's a number of them in there, but I can't remember them all right now. I can tell you it has alot to do with not caring much for political correctness. You're a waiter and a waitress, a steward and a stewardess, and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Servers are equipment for hosting great deals of information in a completely different profession, not titles for people. PC culture tends to go a bit crazy.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
I, and several other native chicago residents, refuse to call the landmark skyskraper the Sears Tower. SHIT I mean the Willis Tower. Deeply ingrained habit. Similar thing with Comiskey Park, now US Cellular Field, but it changed names so long ago not as many adhere to that. I do solely because I prefer the name.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Don't we all call Sony Entertainment Network as Playstation Network?

I've never heard anyone call it SEN

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
mysecondlife said:

Right. And there are a number of companies we call Shit instead of their birthname. You know, like EA, Ubisoft, Activision...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
mysecondlife said:

I've never stopped calling it PSN. The name change was a bad idea and Sony should feel bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I sometime still refer WWE to WWF.

Yes I know the World Wildlife Federation won the right to the initials but dammit I watched WWF as a kid with the likes of Hulk Hogen and The Undertaker!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I often call certain bits of games levels even though the game in question doesn't really have levels like in the olden days.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
For the Motorsports fans out there. The Red Bull Ring. I will call it the "A1 Ring" of old. Neat track.

Some still call a Nissan a Datsun for some reason. I dunno.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
There is a building in Antwerp which is officially named the KBC-toren (KBC Tower). It's called that way in tourist guides official documentation and whatnot, and KBC (which is a bank) would really like it if everyone referred to it as the KBC-toren.

But, one one from Antwerp does that. Everyone still calls it by its old name: Boerentoren (Peasants Tower). As far as pretty much all Antwerpians are concerned, that is its real name and KBC can go suck it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I still call kids 'procedural RNA experiments', which apparently isn't what we refer to them as anymore. Now they got to have names and everything.
I still refer to food as 'unsuspecting prey' but now everyone expects me to be civilised and buy characterless factory meat instead of ripping apart their family pets for supper.
I still refer to my short-lived partners as 'seasonal-mates' but apparently they have feelings now and I'm supposed to take them into account, oh and they have names too...of all things! Why does change have to keep happening? When will this PC culture juggernaut ever end?? When we have to be afraid of hurting our imaginary friend's feelings in case the imaginary hammer of justice comes down on us squashing us into shame and submission??

*Sigh* Completely lost my train of thought again. Pidgeons!! ... Apparently they're 'pigeons' now. Or always were. Ok, it doesn't make a difference when spoken, but that's beside the point. Nobody informed me when they clinically extracted the 'd.'

I still refer to Pluto as a planet.