Things you aggressively don't care about

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
The oxymoron is strong in this trend, first you made a post about it and even put "aggresive" on the title, both of which contradicts with indifference, "don't care about". Perhaps a better title would be "Things I hate".

Is english in america really this bad?

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Guys, i'm pretty sure the oxymoron in the title is deliberate. Christ, you don't have to take everything so literally.

Anyway, I am this way about:

-The Walking Dead. I saw the first three seasons and the show just wasn't going anywhere, so I dropped out. Almost every character is either inconsistent or nonexistent.

-MLP. I've seen...I want to say five or six episodes now, and two of them had Jon Delancie, so....Yeah. It's alright. I guess. Whatever.
ExtraDebit said:
The oxymoron is strong in this trend, first you made a post about it and even put "aggresive" on the title, both of which contradicts with indifference, "don't care about". Perhaps a better title would be "Things I hate".

Check his profile, buddy. Not an American. Keep on stereotyping people, though. I'm sure you'll get a lucky guess eventually.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Atheist vs [insert whatever religion here] debates that never stop.

Both just stop. We get it, you are very very passionate about what you believe or don't believe but for crying out loud enough with the endless debates that actually goes NOWHERE. You won't change each others minds. Just agree to disagree and live your lives for f*** sakes.

"Religion is stupid"

"Atheist are evil"

We get it!!!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
ExtraDebit said:
Apparently English is also poor elsewhere :p

I just don't care about other people's lives if they are not involved in my social circle. I couldn't care less about which famous person is dating which other famous person.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
ExtraDebit said:

Seeing how the OP is from the UK, maybe you'd better ask them instead. At least we know how to spell "aggressive" and that "English" and "America" should be capitalized. :p

A better title would perhaps be, "Hotly debated topics that you really don't give two shits about, but to your annoyance keep popping up all around you to the point where you actively go out of your way to avoid." But that's just too long.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
ExtraDebit said:

I don't care what you think of our English XD

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Can I point out that there's no creationism vs evolution "debate", the same way that there was no flat earth vs round earth "debate" after the round earth "theory" became widely accepted. A vocal minority of very silly people denying, without producing any rational scientific justification whastoever, what the scientific communities of every first world and most third-world countries on earth accept - those scientific communities having produced logical arguments backed up by observable phenomena to support their position - does not constitute a "debate".

If I gather a large group of people to picket restaurants serving onions, on the basis that cutting into them releases so much gas into the air that pretty soon the world's entire population would not be able to stop crying, and then everybody in those restaurants told us to shut the hell up, that also would not constitute a "debate". It'd be a bit more sensible than the "evolution vs creationism" thing, but still not a debate.

I do agree, however, that the topic is tiring.

Anyway, on a lighter topic, my choice would be the Marvel movies. The only ones I've really enjoyed are the "Thor" movies. I don't begrudge people from enjoying them, I just wish that some of the publicity used to market them could be used for films that I think are much better (and there've been several this year already). There's just way way way way way too much marketing and I just... don't... care.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
And I get what the OP is saying. There are things that you're expected to give an opinion about, yet you don't care one way or the other. Trying to explain that gets seriously tiring. That's what I think is meant by "aggressive indifference".

Actually, I have a much better / more topical answer than just a movie series I don't particularly care for. We've got the European Parliament elections coming up next week, which is basically an excuse for every hate group to stick pamphlets in my door. You can only receive so many badly-printed flyers about how white people are horribly discriminated against before your brain starts to melt. (Note that most of this "discrimination" seems to consist of the pamphlets' authors having to live on the same street as those awful non-white people, and being called "racist" when they object to this state of affairs.) Some of the main political parties aren't much better; without going too much into detail, there's stuff in their statements that is badly explained or outright contradicts other stuff that we're told.

I'm tempted to vote for the least-racist alternative out there, but honestly... I hate this whole thing. I see a lot of moderates deciding not to even vote, which leaves the issue in the hands of people with strong opinions (regardless of how well-informed those opinions are). I guess I can only hope that at least SOME of them aren't white supremacists. Although that seems like something of a forlorn hope at the moment.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I just stop giving energy towards something if I don't care about it, there's no aggressive response that would compliment the sentiment or in this case lack thereof. Aggression cannot take root or even begin without energy being devoted toward it which would imply some form of caring... no no this does not do.
On the clever scale, you get a 0.2 and thats generous.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
I aggressively don't care for the people jumping on the beautifully crafted phrase that you used in your title. It sums up so perfectly the combination of apathy, annoyance and ill-will you feel about certain things that don't seem worth caring about.

But seriously, I really, aggressively don't care about what might be considered right or wrong grammatically or logically, or whether something is an oxymoron or not. People need to lie back and appreciate the beauty of ramming mismatched words together!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Pretty much anything that doesn't directly affect me. I might have some vague opinion on it or not (gay marriage, for example), but honestly, if it doesn't affect me, I just plain don't care. At all.

ExtraDebit said:

Obviously this post is intended as satire. I mean, no one would look at something, think negatively of it, and then assume that the person talking about it is from some particular place/culture/religion/ethnicity/otherwise, and use it as a chance to insult that group, right? I mean, that's something the French would do.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Redflash said:
I aggressively don't care for the people jumping on the beautifully crafted phrase that you used in your title. It sums up so perfectly the combination of apathy, annoyance and ill-will you feel about certain things that don't seem worth caring about.

But seriously, I really, aggressively don't care about what might be considered right or wrong grammatically or logically, or whether something is an oxymoron or not. People need to lie back and appreciate the beauty of ramming mismatched words together!
I think the confusion is coming from people seeing it as an oxymoron to claim to not care about something yet still feel a combination of "annoyance and Ill-will", which means you do care about it, you just want to tell everyone around you about how much you don't care, which comes off as a little patronizing and hypocritical to some people.

It bears out in the thread itself, because everyone seems to be interpreting the OP in their own way, some people are just posting about stuff they don't like, others are posting about topics they try to avoid but still provoke irrational reactions out of them, and yet still others are just posting about overdone topics they are tired of seeing. None of that is exactly wrong, but to some extent, if they are willing to expend the energy to talk about it on these forums (and I've seen a few of these posters making numerous posts in the very threads and topics they are claiming not to care about), then they actually do care, even if they may not want to.

Which, to be fair, I've got the same problem, I really want to ignore and not care about the numerous political threads in the R&P forums, because arguing on the internet about politics has never been productive and entertaining for me, but I can't help but get dragged in and contribute my lousy 2 cents from time to time.

As imperior said above me, if you're willing to devote enough energy to type a ranty paragraph about how much you don't care about something, then you obviously do care about it to some extent. Basically this whole thread can be summed up with Vegosiux's picture:

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I aggressively don't care for extensive apathy ;D

Honestly? I truly couldn't care less about celebrities and whatever mundane thing they happen to be doing that for some reason is headline news. That's not to say I dislike all celebrities - I'm sure lots of them are ok people. It's the ridiculous obsession/worship of them that drives me up the wall.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Aggressively don't care about...Aggression requires passion, doesn't it? You can't really be aggressive about something if you don't care about it since apathy is a lack of passion as far as I understand...anyway, I do have things that are popular now that I don't care about.

The two BIG things are Game of Thrones and, Attack on Titan. I tried watching an episode of AoT but couldn't get into it. I assume the manga is better and I also assume it gets better than what I saw in the first few minutes of the first episode. As for Game of Thrones, I just don't even care to try it. Nothing against inter-personal relationships but I strongly prefer my fantasy to be populated with tons of creatures and more action instead of relationships and whatnot. I'm probably really off about what GoT is all about though...I may look into it eventually.

I'm a 26 year old male too so, I stopped caring about popular, trendy music about a decade ago. Popular, trendy, American music that is...

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Can I point out that there's no creationism vs evolution "debate",
=sigh=

Again, I really don't care. I don't care if one side has all the evidence. I don't care if people are bothered that I'm not taking a side. I don't care which side is right, which side is being silly, because in the end, it's something that happened so long ago that it doesn't matter to me at all. It could have been aliens for all that it matters to me. I get why other people get riled up, but it's not my fight, ergo I don't care, but people keep trying to make me care, which is why I posted about it in this thread in the first place.

VVThoughtBox

Mar 3, 2014
I don't care about the sexism, racism, and homophobia in video games. Nobody seems to be coming up with a plausible solution to this problem, and the people who do talk about it always sound as if they've discovered sociology and philosophy for the first time.

I also don't care about gay marriage since it doesn't really impact me in anyway. So what if a man wants to marry another man, or a woman wants to marry another woman? What they do with their life is there business, not mine.

One last thing that I don't care about is the strong female characters. I have this weird hunch that this concept is a fad that will die out in a couple of years. Once strong female characters become common in media, people are going to get bored of seeing the same strong female character movie and would want something new.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
how can you aggressively not care about something? is that not caring about something to the point where all the "hype
over it makes you irritated?

I mean if you "aggressively" not care about something does that mean you take a negative stance towards it?...I wonder how many might say something like Gay Marriage

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Let's see:

1) Sexism, specifically in video gaming. It's not that there isn't any sexism or misogyny in the game industry, but I just don't care that much about it.

2) Anything that has to do with Politics. I'm not saying that there aren't any issues in the U.S, I just don't care or am interested in it.

3) The whole sub vs. dub debate. If you want to watch something in english, Japanese, or what have you, go right a head, just as long you don't act like a dick

4) The whole "grim vs light hearted" debate (I.E Batman always being a "thug" or Man of Steel being too dark). If you like Silly, dumb camp like Spider-Man or Dark, gritty Nolan Batman, great. I love them both.

I could go on and on