Things you aggressively don't care about

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
1Life0Continues said:
The "lack of caring" by little boys pretending to be men on sexism/misogyny in video games.

Oooh. Meta.

No. I don't care if you're tired of it. I won't shut up about it because your apathy is precisely the reason it continues to be a problem. So carry on getting upset about my insistence on bringing it up, because like it or not, it's still a problem that needs to be addressed. Until my wife can open her mouth on a VOIP and not be insulted, sworn at or bear any other uninvited and unwarranted insults based on nothing but the fact she dared to play a video game, then I don't give a fuck if you hate it. I'm going to keep fighting it and until it changes, there is nothing you can do or say to stop me.

Also, most fandoms.
Exactly. "Actively not caring" about things because they affect people who aren't you is why we can't have nice things.

(I say "actively", because if people genuinely didn't care, they wouldn't get upset at problems being addressed)

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
TakerFoxx said:
Again, I really don't care. I don't care if one side has all the evidence. I don't care if people are bothered that I'm not taking a side. I don't care which side is right, which side is being silly, because in the end, it's something that happened so long ago that it doesn't matter to me at all. It could have been aliens for all that it matters to me. I get why other people get riled up, but it's not my fight, ergo I don't care, but people keep trying to make me care, which is why I posted about it in this thread in the first place.
I'm not asking you to take a side - that's what's so annoying to you, after all - just pointing out that by even referring to it as a "debate", that's exactly what you and others in thread had done, albeit unintentionally. It legitimizes the creationists' point of view when they haven't earned that privilege. Just because two opposing points are made does not make them both equally deserving of consideration. Again - I know and appreciate this isn't something you care about, which is fine. I'm just pointing out that it's possible to accidentally find yourself taking a side when you don't mean to.

VVThoughtBox said:
I don't care about the sexism, racism, and homophobia in video games. Nobody seems to be coming up with a plausible solution to this problem, and the people who do talk about it always sound as if they've discovered sociology and philosophy for the first time.

I also don't care about gay marriage since it doesn't really impact me in anyway. So what if a man wants to marry another man, or a woman wants to marry another woman? What they do with their life is there business, not mine.

One last thing that I don't care about is the strong female characters. I have this weird hunch that this concept is a fad that will die out in a couple of years. Once strong female characters become common in media, people are going to get bored of seeing the same strong female character movie and would want something new.
VV - I don't know if I'd quite put it that way, but if you mean by "strong female characters" the same cliched tropes being used over and over again, I'd absolutely agree with you. It's no less sexist to have the girl rescued over and over again if she happens to be "strong-willed" (and in the hands of many screenwriters, that seems to mean: obnoxious). MJ in the "Spiderman" movies being a perfect example. She's independant! She has her own career! She'll annoy everybody by constantly pointing this out! Yet she needs to be rescued over and over again! Uuuugh.

The problem with saying "I don't care about gay marriage" if you're not gay is the same problem as saying "I don't care about slavery" if you're not a slave. Yes, the issue doesn't affect you directly, but that doesn't mean that it's ok to take a neutral stance on the issue when asked (which I presume you have been, or at least have come across the subject being discussed a lot, otherwise the issue wouldn't bother you). A helluva lot of people don't have the same rights as a helluva lot of other people because they have the wrong genitalia. Nobody's asking you to go out and campaign against this, but you can acknowledge that it's a pretty shitty situation without committing yourself to anything more.

delta4062 said:
You summed up pretty much what I was going to type out myself.

To add to it. Guys really need to stop white knighting sexism in games all the fucking time. If it truly bothered you that much then you would of started discussing the issue long before it was the fad.
Yeeeeah... nope.

See it does bother me and I've been trying to make sense of the issue for a long time now; and if guys don't discuss it in a rational manner, then the things that IMO really need to be changed, probably won't be. But my biggest problem with your post here is that, unlike the last two posters, I'm getting the sense that you DO care about the issue, and just want the people on the other side of it to shut up. See that's the wonderful thing about the Internet... you can say pretty much whatever you want. Downside: so can everybody else. And making statements like that - where you've made negative assumptions about the character or motivations of the people who disagree with you - is not going to help you change any hearts and minds.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
thaluikhain said:
1Life0Continues said:
The "lack of caring" by little boys pretending to be men on sexism/misogyny in video games.

Oooh. Meta.

No. I don't care if you're tired of it. I won't shut up about it because your apathy is precisely the reason it continues to be a problem. So carry on getting upset about my insistence on bringing it up, because like it or not, it's still a problem that needs to be addressed. Until my wife can open her mouth on a VOIP and not be insulted, sworn at or bear any other uninvited and unwarranted insults based on nothing but the fact she dared to play a video game, then I don't give a fuck if you hate it. I'm going to keep fighting it and until it changes, there is nothing you can do or say to stop me.

Also, most fandoms.
Exactly. "Actively not caring" about things because they affect people who aren't you is why we can't have nice things.

(I say "actively", because if people genuinely didn't care, they wouldn't get upset at problems being addressed)
Thank you guys. I'm so glad that others have pointed this out.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Eddie the head said:
What you appear to be talking about isn't even evolution. That's abiogenesis. Not the same thing.
I...er...wha...

Okay. Let's try this again. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

Look. I just got off of a very long shift at work and it is very late. Plus, I've had multiple insomnia attacks over the last few months that have made me rather irritable. And based off of personal experience, if I don't answer this now, I am all but guaranteed to have another one. For some reason, inane internet drama tends to do that.

So: I don't do well with Biology, or science in general. Never got higher than a C in a science class in my life. It's not a subject that ever really clicked with me. There are several other subjects that do interest me that I do very well in, but that just isn't one. I completely get why other people find it fascinating, I'm just not one of them.

As such, when it comes to evolutionary theory and the start of life, the universe, and everything, I don't have enough knowledge of it to make any sort of claim, nor do I care enough about it to be bothered to. All life is constantly changing and evolving in accordance with our environment? Okay, I can definitely buy that, given the diversity in the species. You say we originated from simple, single-celled animals that came from some kind of organic soup (insert very large number here) years ago? Okay, that's a big pill to swallow, but I'm sure you have the data and fossil record to back it-

Oh wait, there's these guys that claim that what really happened is that God created the world in seven days or some such. And there's another group of guys that say you were right all along, but God still exists and is directing things. And...none of you seem to like each other, and thing are getting rather heated. Well, I know jack all about any of this, and this all looks rather unpleasant, so I'm just gonna stay out of it and stick to subjects that do interest me and thus I tend to be knowledgeable about. You guys go have fun.

Ergo, I don't care.

Except on every site I go, the same argument keeps popping up, and people are getting pissed and rather aggressive about it. And it's starting to look very unpleasant. Nope, not for me. I want none of that scene.

Ergo, I ''aggressively'' don't care. I don't know enough about the subject to make any sort of claim, I don't care enough about the subject to do research on it, and honestly would rather just be left out of it completely. There are plenty of people far more qualified than I'll ever be. Let them do the talking.

Also the theory of evolution dose impact your life and the lives of others. Immunologist's use it to predict how the flu virus will change. Even if we disregarded that just because we don't know of an application for a theory at the time doesn't mean it won't be useful later. The theory of relativity was considered largely useless at the time, but now satellites would fall out of the sky if we didn't compensate for relativity.
I'm sure it does. There are plenty of aspects of science that affect my day to day life without me knowing the details, and will continue to work just fine regardless. There are plenty of very qualified people making good use of that knowledge, and I am not standing in there way in any shape or form. I'm simply refusing to join the flamewars.

I'm not saying this to belittle you but appear to have little to no understanding of what the theory of evolution is.
You're right. I don't. Just like there are probably several subjects that greatly interest me that you know very little about but are content to remain ignorant of. So why don't we stick to what we're interested in?

but I don't want you misinforming other people.
About what? I've already stated many times that I'm not making any sort of claim.

You don't care I get that, but I do.
Erm, good for you? Have...fun, I guess.

If you don't care about it so much don't talk about it.
=takes a deep breath=

I. Don't. Talk. About. It.

That's. The. Whole. Point.

I was just answering the thread prompt. That's it. I don't talk about this at all with anyone, because it's not a subject that interests me. If someone were to ask me how I thought life began, I'd just shrug and freely admit that I don't know. That's it.

TheMadDoctorsCat said:
I'm not asking you to take a side - that's what's so annoying to you, after all - just pointing out that by even referring to it as a "debate", that's exactly what you and others in thread had done, albeit unintentionally. It legitimizes the creationists' point of view when they haven't earned that privilege. Just because two opposing points are made does not make them both equally deserving of consideration. Again - I know and appreciate this isn't something you care about, which is fine. I'm just pointing out that it's possible to accidentally find yourself taking a side when you don't mean to.
And this would be a perfect example of why I ''aggressively'' don't care, because now we have people getting upset about semantics and simple word use.

Look guys, I don't know why you keep trying to argue with me. All I was doing was answer the thread prompt. I don't participate in these sorts of discussions for a reason. I freely admit my ignorance on the subject and am quite content to stay the fuck out of it entirely. Except just by answering the OP's question, I've had no fewer than four attempts to argue and/or correct me about something that I've repeatedly stated that I want no part of. I'm not a creationist, I'm an I-don't-know-or-care-so-leave-me-alone-ist. Please, for the sake of me not having another insomnia attack over something this inane, leave me be, and tell my wife I said, "Hello."

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Can I just say yes, it is most certainly possible to aggressively not care about something. It is not caring about something but being continually under pressure to have an opinion about it because everyone else refuses to shut the fuck up about it. Which I can appreciate. But I love GoT, so you're on your own there friend.

If I had to pick something, it'd be Godzilla, and a few other upcoming adaptations, but honestly, at the moment I don't not care about anything enough to be frustrated by the proliferation of it in discussion.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
TakerFoxx said:
And this would be a perfect example of why I ''aggressively'' don't care, because now we have people getting upset about semantics and simple word use.
Yeah... sorry 'bout that.

I'm not upset though! There's no drama! No drama! DON'T PANIC!

(Lord, I feel old now. Does anybody even get that reference any more?)

Anyway, I'm gonna leave you be. Go ignore us ignoramuses on the internet and have some sex or something. I feel as though you've earned it. :D

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
EternallyBored said:
As imperior said above me, if you're willing to devote enough energy to type a ranty paragraph about how much you don't care about something, then you obviously do care about it to some extent.
This. I know a few people who try pretty hard to make sure everybody around them knows they "don't care" about certain things, and it's often a fairly transparent attempt to come across super-cool and aloof. Invariably, it doesn't work. Creating a thread to broadcast you don't care is another step in that direction, methinks.

EDIT: Of course, making sure everybody knows you don't care about cultural stuff (like GOT or MLP) is all fine and dandy. Broadcasting how much you don't care about moral questions, though, comes across worse; as if complacency is something to be admired.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
This thread is just so self-contradictory, it's hilarious.

Then again, I'm not surprised. This is the same forum site that seems hell-bent on thinking that "Am I the only one?" is a literal phrase instead of a metaphoric phrase.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
jademunky said:
My little Pony. Seriously I have never seen it and I never will, you are grown men watching this and you are creeping us all out.
Wait, by your own admission, you remain ignorant of My Little Pony, having never watched it.
How can you be "creeped out" by something you're ignorant of? Explain please?

This is literally a case of being scared of the unknown.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Celebrity culture. I really dont care about it at all but its constantly thrown in our faces. I hate reality TV and the fame hungry mutants it spawns too

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I aggressively don't care about white cis hetero men.

I get it, you exist.
Stop pushing it down my throat.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
IceForce said:
Wait, by your own admission, you remain ignorant of My Little Pony, having never watched it.

On the other hand, if someone's been on the internet for a while, they will have seen the various products of the fandom, seen the fandom's discussions, or had it explained to them.

It's hard not to get an idea of what it's all about.

For what it's worth, I did watch an episode for testing purposes.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Life.

Explanation: Apparently there is genuinely a problem with the "reward" chemicals in my brain. Currently seeing a professional.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
IceForce said:
jademunky said:
My little Pony. Seriously I have never seen it and I never will, you are grown men watching this and you are creeping us all out.

Yeah it is. I admittedly have had my opinion prematurely poisoned by all the Rule 34 that I have stumbled across for it. I know that most bronies are not like that at all and of the fanfiction that seems to clog the internet, 95% is "torchlight sparkle apologizes to moon unit for insulting her taste in shoes back in episode 47" etc.

It is just so easy to get the wrong impression from their sincerity.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
thaluikhain said:
1Life0Continues said:

Oooh. Meta.

Also, most fandoms.

Amen.

I find the notion of people loudly proclaiming to not care at all about social issues that happen to not directly affect them personally rather sad. When did utter selfishness become an admirable character trait?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
VVThoughtBox said:
I also don't care about gay marriage since it doesn't really impact me in anyway. So what if a man wants to marry another man, or a woman wants to marry another woman? What they do with their life is there business, not mine.
If you believe what they do with their lifes is their business, not yours, nor anyone elses, then you believe that we should not prevent gays and lesbians from getting married, hence you are supporting gay marriage. You claim not to care, but you do care, if only a little.

One last thing that I don't care about is the strong female characters. I have this weird hunch that this concept is a fad that will die out in a couple of years. Once strong female characters become common in media, people are going to get bored of seeing the same strong female character movie and would want something new.
So you're assuming (among other things) that women will be content again with not being properly represented?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lieju said:
I aggressively don't care about white cis hetero men.

I get it, you exist.
Stop pushing it down my throat.
IKR, I have nothing against the straight white cis man, but I wish he'd stop it with his "agenda." Always trying to politicise the things I enjoy. Can't we just keep such politics out of games? And movies, books, music, comics, and so on?

This is totally not a thinly veiled attempt to complain that they're in the media, it's the politics I hate! Politics I insist they create by existing and being a part of the media! Which is different![sub]because ponies....[/sub]

Speaking of segways....

IceForce said:

Honestly, it's easy to be creeped out just by the bronies. I mean, if the intent here was "Grown men shouldn't watch a cartoon for girls!" then yeah, that's ridiculous. But the community can be very obsessive and creepy.

And I'm not the type to complain about adults watching kids' shows, as I'd be a hypocrite for doing it. MLP isn't my thing, but the ubiquity of it is such that knowing about it without watching is really easy.

shootthebandit said:
Celebrity culture. I really dont care about it at all but its constantly thrown in our faces. I hate reality TV and the fame hungry mutants it spawns too
You know, the easiest way to deal with this is to just turn off the TV. I think the great irony in my life right now is that my only exposure to celebrity BS is when my friends are bitching about how much they hate it on Facebook.

CloudAtlas said:
I find the notion of people loudly proclaiming to not care at all about social issues that happen to not directly affect them personally rather sad. When did utter selfishness become an admirable character trait?
The 80s? I mean, I don't have an exact timeframe, but it was around there? Technically earlier if you consider Ayn Rand's works. Granted, even they didn't have their current rabid following until a decade and change ago.

If you believe what they do with their lifes is their business, not yours, nor anyone elses, then you believe that we should not prevent gays and lesbians from getting married, hence you are supporting gay marriage. You claim not to care, but you do care, if only a little.
Not caring what others do seems to be a completely apathetic stance. Doesn't necessarily make it a positive thing, but it does seem to be neutral.

So you're assuming (among other things) that women will be content again with not being properly represented?
Well, think about their argument. I mean, how sick of the gruff and rugged military man are straight dudes? They've given up on Call of Duty and Halo. Naughty Dog went out of business a couple years back because Nathan Drake's last game sold so poorly and...Oh, right, that never happened.

Unless the argument is that women are radically different than men, there's no reason to believe anyone's going to tire of this "fad" of strong women, even if you assume that means only a very limited number of character types.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I wouldn't say aggressively don't care. More like aggressively ignore or stay away from.

Game of Thrones (but that's because I haven't read the books and I want to read the books before I try and watch it but then again I'm more a book reader than tv show/movie watcher)

People who try and arbitrarily decide that I'm not a "real" gamer due to the fact that I don't play x game or y game or the gender they perceive me as.

People who so solidly stand behind their religion that they are making themselves willfully ignorant. I get it. I don't like it.

On the same note of religion, extremists. I grew up with Roman Catholic and Christian ones in my extended family who both sides "condemned me to hell" at a very early age because heaven forbid my parents decided that they were going to take us to non-denominational Christian churches. And then hearing how "wrong" the other side is. And being force fed their beliefs. Or the people who decide that because I drive with my car window open that it's ok to come up to my car at a red light and start preaching at me.

People who try and force things onto me. Religion, politics, media, etc. Especially after I have politely declined whatever they are offering to show/tell me. Religion I can learn more about online and have it not be one side or the other and y'know find people who aren't assholes about it to talk to if I wish to talk to someone about it. Sports, particularly American football-basketball-baseball, annoy the shit out of me though I do have a particular love for European Football and the NHL. But as we're getting into basketball season right now all I'm hearing is basketball this and basketball that. And baseball season is going on too so I'm hearing a lot of that from my family. Give it a few months and it will be American football and the super bowl. And my family not understanding that I really couldn't care less about watching the game with them or discussing it. And not understanding that I not only dislike the sport but don't even understand it in the first place. Neither the game nor the appeal. Media, usually I have tried whatever you're trying to force onto me. MLP? Don't like the newer stuff I like the cheesy stuff from the 80s ish that I grew up with. Anime? Not a big anime person so naturally, I don't watch a lot of it. John Green books? I've read a few, don't care for his writing style or his glorification of things that shouldn't be glorified (no matter how much he insists he doesn't do it, he does). Stephen fucking King books? I fucking despise his writing. You COULD NOT PAY ME ENOUGH MONEY TO SIT AND READ AN ENTIRE BOOK FROM HIM. I'm fine with him on audio book. But actual me reading the page either on a screen or a piece of paper bound to other pieces of paper? NOPE.

People who don't understand that No means No. And I'm not 100% strictly talking in the dating/sex scene. "Oh hey you should play____" "No" "But ______ is........" "No" "But ..........." Making me sound like a broken record because either you can't be bothered to pay attention to the words out of my mouth (or that I type) or you think by talking about it more you'll persuade me into doing it gets you on my bad side *REALLY* quick. I've slapped people for it. And don't get me started on the people who either try or succeed to get me into public into a place I don't want to be and then try the putting me on the spot because no way am I going to reject whatever asinine thing they are proposing and possibly make a scene. Obviously these people don't know me very well or just don't care to pay attention to what happens when people do stuff like that. I won't give you the answer you're looking for and I will leave even if I have to walk myself back home or try and call someone to get me on my walk. And then there's the physical contact in general thing. People I like and am ok with I have no problem hugging them or cuddling up to them. But people I'm not ok with/don't like who try and touch me get "Please don't touch me" from me. They keep touching me (even just poking my arm), usually because they think I'm joking even though I'm dead serious and it shows in posture/body language/tone of voice, and I will go onto eventually threatening bodily harm on them and then work on carrying through with the threat of bodily harm. I don't care who you are. I don't care if I know you or not. If you are purposefully touching me after I've asked you nicely to stop, I will NOT be nice or anything to you after that. It's one thing to get accidentally pushed into me in a crowd (at which you should apologise to the person since y'know accident and human decency) it's another to repeatedly touch me. Especially when you know I have a knife or two on me (which is like always).

People who arbitrarily decide I can't do something because of some other reason that has nothing to do with said activity. Even if I can. "Oh, you have tits and a vagina? You can't possibly work on cars or know anything about them" "Oh, you have tits and a vagina? You can't possibly play video games" "Oh you're overweight for your height? You can't possibly be healthy/exercise" "Oh you didn't go to college/university? You can't possibly know anything about anything". Or the ones that are reverse and decide because of this arbitrary factor I must like this. Don't try to fit me into a little box to make yourself more comfortable. Because I won't fit and I will fight to not be put into it. Because complex human being."Oh it's ok sweetie, you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe us adults will explain it to you later" usually accompanied by head pats when I let my hair go back to being it's natural blonde colour. This is why I started dying my hair in the first place. So people would stop infantilizing me and assuming I was stupid. I'm smarter than most people give me credit for.

Oh and people who want to call me a ***** because I won't let them do something to me that I don't want to do. 99% of the time it's them wanting to engage/trap me in a conversation I have no interest in (or am not informed enough to talk about and they want to debate the topic). Because y'know, not wanting to let someone else use up all my energy for being around people because they want to invade my personal space and talk about something makes me a *****.

And finally, people who talk to me on the internet who are willfully ignorant/stupid. y'know the type. They bring up a topic they know nothing about and when you correct their misconceptions and send them links backing up your statements they tell you it's too much work to look at the links so you must be wrong. OR they don't know anything about a topic and are proud of said lack of knowledge and tell you it's because they can't find information on it. Which is complete and utter bullshit in this information age. Especially if you are telling me that in a conversation on the internet. At that point you are an idiot and I don't want to waste my time talking to you so I will block all conversation with you.

Oh and L.A. Kings fans (that's hockey for those of you who don't know) because most of them are assholes. I'm staying away from facebook right now because of their fans and the fact they just beat my team and all it is is mudslinging against my team. It's fine to not like a team. Trash talking to an extent is fine. Making up false information about players and their personal lives is NOT ok. Ever. Plus during the singing of the fucking national anthem (mind you I couldn't care less about the country I live in but even I realise it's disrespectful to do this to ANY country) they were sitting there chanting "Go Kings Go". You don't have to like the country you're in for something. But showing a little bit of respect by not doing shit like that during said country's national anthem goes a long way. And Americans wonder why some people in other countries don't like us in general.....Because we do dick moves like that. And because we're 'Murican we don't have to learn about their culture/traditions. We can just go and screw things up.

Slyaap

Feb 19, 2013
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Can I point out that there's no creationism vs evolution "debate", the same way that there was no flat earth vs round earth "debate" after the round earth "theory" became widely accepted. A vocal minority of very silly people denying, without producing any rational scientific justification whastoever, what the scientific communities of every first world and most third-world countries on earth accept - those scientific communities having produced logical arguments backed up by observable phenomena to support their position - does not constitute a "debate".

If I gather a large group of people to picket restaurants serving onions, on the basis that cutting into them releases so much gas into the air that pretty soon the world's entire population would not be able to stop crying, and then everybody in those restaurants told us to shut the hell up, that also would not constitute a "debate". It'd be a bit more sensible than the "evolution vs creationism" thing, but still not a debate.

I do agree, however, that the topic is tiring.

Anyway, on a lighter topic, my choice would be the Marvel movies. The only ones I've really enjoyed are the "Thor" movies. I don't begrudge people from enjoying them, I just wish that some of the publicity used to market them could be used for films that I think are much better (and there've been several this year already). There's just way way way way way too much marketing and I just... don't... care.
However well presented this post was I have to object. You make a perfect example of exactly the type of arguement other people have mentioned. I don't see how creationists could be right. I think they have no scientific reasoning. I think they have no logic.I. I. I. I. I. I. I............there could be a boatload of evidence on one side or the other, but to say that people haven't EARNED a right to voice their beliefs...that scares me. It really does. Hope we can be civil.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
CloudAtlas said:
Well, think about their argument. I mean, how sick of the gruff and rugged military man are straight dudes? They've given up on Call of Duty and Halo. Naughty Dog went out of business a couple years back because Nathan Drake's last game sold so poorly and...Oh, right, that never happened.

Unless the argument is that women are radically different than men, there's no reason to believe anyone's going to tire of this "fad" of strong women, even if you assume that means only a very limited number of character types.
Well, if I do think about such arguments, I often come to the conclusion that the people making such arguments haven't really thought about their arguments themselves. Or that perhaps the wish was father to the thought, but that is something I rather not think too much about.

To make an argument like the one I quoted, you have to assume that women don't play games/watch movies/read books or that if they do they don't really care about having heroes of their own gender they can identify with, that the men who're advocating for the same are just caring about it because it's novel (or because they're white knighting, of course), that - like you said - strong male and female characters are fundamentally different from each other because the male variant has been ubiquituous for millenia - pretty long for a "fad" - all pretty dubious assumptions if you ask me.