Things You Can't Prove, But Believe

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
TheBobmus said:
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.
Dafuq? Is this some sort of tidal logic?
I know you can't prove it, but please explain at least a basis for such a thought...

I believe there is no separate part of me such as a 'soul'. I can't prove it doesn't exist, but then again, I see no reason to believe something with such a complete lack of proof.
I know you weren't talking to me, but if I remember right apparently a full moon effects crime, so there is some logic behind it.
Could that be because (and stop me if I'm being crazy) you can see better by a full moon?
Crime is affected by myriads of factors...
Welcome to the Escapist by the way

And @Matthew94 I am particularly interested to see the OPs theory here...
Haha, if you were expecting some well thought out theory on that one you're outta luck. Just based mostly on ignorance for that one I guess, mostly just trying to come up with a better example to get the thread rolling :) I do think that if for no other reason, the placebo effect kicks in for the "full moon" thing and people act strangely. Didn't take people long to jump on me for that one eh?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Jonluw said:
Logic isn't self proving, so there's everything.
But if logic wasn't self proving, it wouldn't exist. Since it exists, it's self proving. You may thank me about the revelation later.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
DoPo said:
Jonluw said:
Logic isn't self proving, so there's everything.
But if logic wasn't self proving, it wouldn't exist. Since it exists, it's self proving. You may thank me about the revelation later.
I don't see how that makes any sense.
Logic exists as the fundamental mechanism by which we examine the world. However, to examine something, your mechanism of examination mustn't hinge on the subject you're examining. So you can't use logic to examine logic.
Your argument that logic is self proving because it exists uses logic, so in the case that logic isn't real your argument loses any sense of meaning.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Tyrant55 said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.
I know you can't prove it, but please explain at least a basis for such a thought...
Haha, if you were expecting some well thought out theory on that one you're outta luck. Just based mostly on ignorance for that one I guess, mostly just trying to come up with a better example to get the thread rolling :) I do think that if for no other reason, the placebo effect kicks in for the "full moon" thing and people act strangely. Didn't take people long to jump on me for that one eh?
Based on ignorance of what?
I don't even think there's a placebo effect at work here for the stuff observed, simply a skewed perspective of people wanting to believe in such a thing - you have to have heard and mildly believed something like this for a placebo effect to occur!!
Do you, by any chance, believe in other water-based phenomena such as Homeopathy?

And it doesn't really get the ball rolling as much as derail a whole thread to put something like that in the OP. I advise taking it out if you want discussion of anything other than that to meaningfully occur... And yeah, I was about to post, spotted it, and did a complete double take.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Most of science.
For example, I can't prove on my own that quarks exist but I believe the scientific reports that have proved their existence.
Pretty much this.

The closest thing I have to 'faith' is my 'faith' in the scientific method.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm not a solipsist, so I believe in a lot of things I can't prove :p

Esotera

May 5, 2011
The majority of politicians (greater than 50%) are in some way corrupt. The slimy bastards cover their tracks well, so it's quite hard to prove as an hypothesis.

Also, Sugar Puffs are the key to a nutritious breakfast, and red bull gives you wings.

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
Based on ignorance of what?
I don't even think there's a placebo effect at work here for the stuff observed, simply a skewed perspective of people wanting to believe in such a thing - you have to have heard and mildly believed something like this for a placebo effect to occur!!
Do you, by any chance, believe in other water-based phenomena such as Homeopathy?

And it doesn't really get the ball rolling as much as derail a whole thread to put something like that in the OP. I advise taking it out if you want discussion of anything other than that to meaningfully occur... And yeah, I was about to post, spotted it, and did a complete double take.
No, I don't believe in homeopathy because logically diluting something does not make it more powerful. That, and because if homeopathy got it right our tap water would be the most potent/dangerous drug on the planet. The moon thing was a belief based on anecdotal and coincidental evidence that people believe just because it's a common myth. People hear this myth and subconsciously realize that it's going to be a full moon on that day, and as such they either act strangely themselves or use a bit of confirmation bias to notice other people acting strangely.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Tyrant55 said:
TheBobmus said:
No, I don't believe in homeopathy because logically diluting something does not make it more powerful. That, and because if homeopathy got it right our tap water would be the most potent/dangerous drug on the planet. The moon thing was a belief based on anecdotal and coincidental evidence that people believe just because it's a common myth. People hear this myth and subconsciously realize that it's going to be a full moon on that day, and as such they either act strangely themselves or use a bit of confirmation bias to notice other people acting strangely.
You understand the confirmation bias theory behind this and still think the moon affects our behaviour more than we can understand? Or have you only just come to this conclusion? I'm sorry but your line from the OP and this statement of it's mythological nature just don't seem to add up...

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
TheBobmus said:
You understand the confirmation bias theory behind this and still think the moon affects our behaviour more than we can understand? Or have you only just come to this conclusion? I'm sorry but your line from the OP and this statement of it's mythological nature just don't seem to add up...
Well it was more of "I kind of believe this may have some merit" moreso than "I believe this with all my heart!". I guess you could say my real reasoning behind that was that there's still so much we don't know about how and why the universe works, so that maybe there was actually some truth to it. It would just be true for a reason that we can't explain yet or don't understand. Sorry if I'm not being perfectly clear, but I'm running on very few hours of sleep here (Interestingly, aside from the strange behavior thing apparently some people think that the stage of the moon has an impact on their sleeping habits).

Cosmosis

Mar 12, 2012
Probably luck or more specifically unluck. Probability seems to be magically biased against me.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
That there is, indeed, ghosts and that whatever is squelching around inside our brains, the software to our hardware if you will, disappear somewhere once we bite it. Like... The noosphere or somesuch. Perhaps these sparks (I don't like the word "soul", it got too many religious interpretations and seem to suggest the precense of a god, which I doubt, myself) are reused with regular intervals?

Furthermore, you leave some sort of parapshyciologicallywhatever imprint on your surroundings. Say you're old and live in a certain house for many years, which you spend being bitter and regretful of something or other. I'd say there is a chance these feelings and expressions are going to stain off against the enviroment you're in, which could explain the phenomenom of ghosts and whatnot.

But what do I know? I'm not a credited scientist, I'm just a person on me lonesome. :p

Mudkipith

May 11, 2011
I believe we all have innate psychic power that none of us know how to use because we forgot. Also that the world develops as I think about it.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I belive I have a real trait that I named the Game Breaker Trait

For some odd reason I always break games beyond fucking reason. its even affecting real things. Stuff breaks for no explination.

My friends even belive it they have seen it first hand

Every now and then something awesome comes from it.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Veldie said:
I belive I have a real trait that I named the Game Breaker Trait

For some odd reason I always break games beyond fucking reason. its even affecting real things. Stuff breaks for no explination.

My friends even belive it they have seen it first hand

Every now and then something awesome comes from it.
Your avatar fits really well then.

OT: I am the best at everything. I could prove this but that would mean doing something. Who wants to do that?