Things You Can't Prove, But Believe

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I believe that censorship is wrong and awful, but this is merely my belief of course. However, I still am conflicted over hate-speech being allowed because I hate bigotry, racism, and any form of prejudice. I wouldn't stop a Neo-Nazi from getting his book published, it's his right to put out his views (and also to be ridiculed by me), but if there was a planned Nazi rally in my neighborhood I would try to stop it from happening.

Matthew94 said:
Most of science.

For example, I can't prove on my own that quarks exist but I believe the scientific reports that have proved their existence.
Agreed.

Also I found the example you mentioned to be amusingly coincidental, cause I actually know the guy who won the Panofsky Prize for providing scientific evidence of the quark structure (not that I understand any of it).

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Terminate421 said:
God exists. I know he's there but I cannot prove it. Doesnt mean I am wrong at all.
Same here. I know, 100% positive, no chance of me being wrong, there is a God. But I cannot prove that.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Me?

Zombies. I can't prove they exist, but it's a lot easier to prepare for an outbreak than to explain to those who don't believe

Plus, more rations for me when a majority of people turn into soulless, killing machines! :D

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
I believe there's no life after death.
I don't, however, believe in anything supernatural. The natural world holds enough wonders for me (size of the universe for example, the things that are happening in it that our minds can't even grasp, but also the wonders of evolution and how it's affected many animals in fascinating ways.)

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
God isn't real and we live in an entirely materialistic universe.

There's no evidence to suggest that a God exist, nor evidence to suggest that it doesn't, but I much prefer everything to be stuff floating in space, doing stuff.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
After working for far too many years behind bars and in restaurants, I am convinced that human intelligence decreases in correlation to group size. For example, isolated or in small groups, individuals are able to utilize their full cognitive capacity (which of course differs from individual to individual) but as the group size increases, the IQ of each member of that group seems to drop off significantly.

Allow me to give you some examples:

-One person walking down the street possesses full awareness of their surrounding

-A large group walking down the street in conversation possess almost no awareness of their surroundings or other street users

The more cohesive and directed the group is, the greater the effect of this "Mob Stupefaction" (MS). Other external factors can influence this (alcohol, drugs, social graces) although their absence is often negligible

Again:

-A large group of people in the same room, in pairs or small groups, conversing, versus:

-A crowd at a gig (if you are unfamiliar with the wild flailing, aggressive young men and general obnoxious behaviour, I envy you)

You may question my choice of "gig" and observe that MS does not occur at say, the cinema or the theatre. I would counter by saying that both venues validate my point, the only disruption encountered at the cinema or theatre is from groups (forgetting ringtones) and it is worth remembering that standing at gigs offers an audience a more "expressive" opportunity than a seat.

I would love to know if my fellow Escapists feel my pain, I'll level with you...I just plain don't like the general public (or as I like to call them - cattle) and I worry it's colouring my entire worldview...

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
DoPo said:
OT: No, not really. I believe in things that can be proven, directly or indirectly. That which cannot be proven should not be accepted or rejected as truth. Blind faith is the root of ignorance and stupidity.
Try saying that to anyone with a PhD in physics. Almost all current research in physics involves hypotheses that can't be proven, at least not yet.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Definitely science.
I'm not smart enough to prove any of it, but I'll believe it if people smarter than me can convince me.

Other than that I have absolutely no belief in ghosts and all that. Although I won't rule out the possibility that there is some sort of deity. I don't have particular belief that there is one, but it's a difficult argument to prove either way.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I feel like answering "science" is cheating, especially since, as a physics undergrad, I've proved a healthy percentage of physics.

I'm going to say luck; some people have random probability fall in their favor at almost an insane rate for it to be called "random," and I know plenty of intelligent, nice, hardworking people hwo have been dealt so many bad turns that it's just ridiculous.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Terminate421 said:
God exists. I know he's there but I cannot prove it. Doesnt mean I am wrong at all.
It doesn't at all, and anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. You can't prove a negative, so you can't prove God doesn't exist. Good on you for being firm in your faith.

That being said, burden of proof is on the person claiming a certain relationship/existence/whatever, so I can't blame people for not believing in God.

Deism ftw.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
The importance of exercise.

As if a big part of our existence is to exist as fit and strong individuals. There's something primal about it.

Of course there are some individuals who are perfectly happy without exercise but I'm talking about my general belief that applies to many but not all.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
The government put crack in the ghetto to kill black people.
Oh and they gave aids to gay people and black babies without telling anyone that's why they have the most aids.
Go ahead call me a conspiracy theorist I believe it.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
That I'm absolutely hilarious, and devilishly handsome.
Well my good sir you have just proven one of those.

I find fate to be an interesting concept, those who are born to succeed and those who are to destined fail. If we struggle and succeed were we destined to succeed in the first place but if we stop trying and fail was that our fate after all. Is everything predetermined and our consciousness just an illusion to help us make the choises we were destined to make.

I ramble (I have been known to write pages on this kind shit) but basicly I kinda believe in fate but I still struggle against it to try and succeed. Or am I playing right into its hand?
Either way I hate the thought of it.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I believe in monsters... though it's less a "can't prove" thing and more a looser definition of "monster"

Also the Moon thing... the Moon's gravitational pull effects everything, not just water. It just has an extremely (and relatively) more noticeable effect on the ocean.

Also I'm Christian so there's that too.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
I chose to believe that I have friends.

Wow, that's one of the saddest things I've ever written.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.
Dafuq? Is this some sort of tidal logic?
I know you can't prove it, but please explain at least a basis for such a thought...

I believe there is no separate part of me such as a 'soul'. I can't prove it doesn't exist, but then again, I see no reason to believe something with such a complete lack of proof.
I know you weren't talking to me, but if I remember right apparently a full moon effects crime, so there is some logic behind it.
I believe that the full moon does affect people. I work in public transport in Sydney, and the crazies really do come out around the full moon. Plus, i'm sure there will be at least one cop on these forums that will tell you the same thing.

I believe in Qi energy. I've had some experiences and done things that couldnt be explained without attributing it to Qi.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Rylot said:
I've recently come to the belief that the show 'Community' was made as a joke to troll people. Joking aside it wouldn't surprise me if everyone was a little bit psychic. Not the talking to dead people shlock but thinking about someone right before they call you, stuff like that.
You know, I would agree with that latter point. There have been ridiculously numerous times lately that I have been thinking something and my mother or brother will say it as I open my mouth, or vice versa. it's crazy.

keinechance

Mar 12, 2010
I can't prove that Gods don't exist, but I believe they don't exist, as there is no evidence whatsoever to support there existence.

I can't prove that Fairys don't exist, but I believe they don't exist, as there is no evidence whatsoever to support there existence.

I can't prove that Ghosts don't exist, but I believe they don't exist, as there is no evidence whatsoever to support there existence.

I can't prove that Unicorns don't exist, but I believe they don't exist, as there is no evidence whatsoever to support there existence.

etc.