Things You Can't Prove, But Believe

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
Just to keep this more interesting, I want to point out that I'm not talking about any religious beliefs here. I'm talking about the little random beliefs that everybody has based purely on coincidental or anecdotal evidence. Superstitions, conspiracy theories, etc...

As for me, I have always believed that the single most important factor for living the longest and healthiest life possible is state of mind, above even diet and exercise. Also, I believe that there are many undiscovered reasons why fruits and vegetables are good for us that go beyond vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.

So, fellow escapists, what are some things you believe "just because it seems that way"?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I believe that most intangible beings like ghosts and spirits and God are as real as people believe them to be. Its sort of like that theory that God survives on prayers but applied to all things that cannot be normally seen or felt.

Silly, I know, but it runs with my belief of "Truth/Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder"

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Tyrant55 said:
Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.
Dafuq? Is this some sort of tidal logic?
I know you can't prove it, but please explain at least a basis for such a thought...

I believe there is no separate part of me such as a 'soul'. I can't prove it doesn't exist, but then again, I see no reason to believe something with such a complete lack of proof.

asdfgtrew

May 19, 2012
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:
Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.
I know you can't prove it, but please explain at least a basis for such a thought...

I believe there is no separate part of me such as a 'soul'. I can't prove it doesn't exist, but then again, I see no reason to believe something with such a complete lack of proof.
I know you weren't talking to me, but if I remember right apparently a full moon effects crime, so there is some logic behind it.

Dec 14, 2009
I believe in luck.

I know that everything happens through a chain of events, but a lot of things to seem to end up in my favour more often than not, while others seem to never get their own way.

I'm lucky :D

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:

I know you weren't talking to me, but if I remember right apparently a full moon effects crime, so there is some logic behind it.
Could that be because (and stop me if I'm being crazy) you can see better by a full moon?
Crime is affected by myriads of factors...
Welcome to the Escapist by the way

And @Matthew94 I am particularly interested to see the OPs theory here...

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Tyrant55 said:
Wut? Yeah we're mostly made of water but that doesn't mean I can put fires out with my body either.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Matthew94 said:
By that logic everything that has mass effects people's behavior.
Oh my god! This explains so much!

OT: No, not really. I believe in things that can be proven, directly or indirectly. That which cannot be proven should not be accepted or rejected as truth. Blind faith is the root of ignorance and stupidity.

Dec 14, 2009
Hazy992 said:
Tyrant55 said:
Wut? Yeah we're mostly made of water but that doesn't mean I can put fires out with my body either.
Of course you can.

Hurts like a ***** though :D

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
Tyrant55 said:
I just don't think you've tried enough times - perhaps we should experiment with throwing people on fires more often?
Also blood could probably put out fires?

asdfgtrew

May 19, 2012
TheBobmus said:
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:

Could that be because (and stop me if I'm being crazy) you can see better by a full moon?

And @Matthew94 I am particularly interested to see the OPs theory here...
Honestly your probably right, but searching google for lunar effect does come up with a few theories on it although most scientists agree it's bull.
EDIT: thanks for the welcome =)

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
Tyrant55 said:
I just don't think you've tried enough times - perhaps we should experiment with throwing people on fires more often?
Perhaps we should. For science!

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Hazy992 said:
Tyrant55 said:
Of course you can.

Hurts like a ***** though :D
I think I'll just take your word for that :p

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:

Honestly your probably right, but searching google for lunar effect does come up with a few theories on it although most scientists agree it's bull.
The lunar effect on crime/hospital business can probably be attributed to bad statistics (making a big deal of a few anomalies that support your position + skewed observations from people who've heard of the idea) and the fact that more people will be likely to go outside on pleasant nights.

Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
Perhaps we should. For science!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xahii-jhQR0/SFk7P02zoDI/AAAAAAAAAIg/VPID_-kGrD8/s400/smbc20080608.gif

asdfgtrew

May 19, 2012
TheBobmus said:
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
asdfgtrew said:
TheBobmus said:
Tyrant55 said:

The lunar effect on crime/hospital business can probably be attributed to bad statistics (making a big deal of a few anomalies that support your position + skewed observations from people who've heard of the idea) and the fact that more people will be likely to go outside on pleasant nights.
Also werewolves. On topic I kind of believe in karma.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Logic isn't self proving, so there's everything.

If you want to go all solipsist nihilist on me you can say that everything I know/believe are things that I don't have proof for.

If you don't want the discussion to degrade to that point and take a more practical approach, I would have to say I'm not aware of any specific beliefs I have that aren't founded on sound reasoning.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I've recently come to the belief that the show 'Community' was made as a joke to troll people. Joking aside it wouldn't surprise me if everyone was a little bit psychic. Not the talking to dead people shlock but thinking about someone right before they call you, stuff like that.