Things you just don't "get".

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I don't get how people can honestly think we are the only intelligent species in the Universe. I mean, seriously!?

Also, I don't get the captcha on this site, it terrifies me. I mean my cpatcha phrase is 'garden of eden'...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Doclector said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You don't understand strip clubs, and that's good. They're good for all sorts of low-level illegal shenanigans, including drugs but not to the degree that regular clubs can involve.

The truth around my area is that every strip club is also, to a degree, a brothel of sorts. This was evidenced by a friend of mine who brought his married neighbor along for my friend's divorce celebration. The neighbor was an older man, and all the girls were flocking to him and sitting on his lap for extended periods of time. Afterwards we asked him what he was doing and he said that the first thing he asked them was "How much?" to which the girl would reply, "How much for what?" And so forth.

A girl I worked with (in an office) had an unusually calloused right palm and it took me a while to realize it was from her being right-handed and using that primarily to grip the stripper pole. She also griped about how other girls at her "other job" would just have sex with men in the private rooms. It's been an eye opening, disgusting learning experience for me.

Now, not that I don't like girls, which I do, but I'll admit that the few times I've been to strip clubs were great because I was able to smoke indoors again, which was a novel experience.

Damy

Feb 22, 2013
I also don't get why so many guys are into lesbians? i can understand that more than one woman would obviously be attractive to men but two woman that aren't attracted to you? that makes zero sense!

Bepo_Bear said:
I have a foot fetish, there neither of those things
Well I'm not going to try and convince you out of it, and Yes feet can be clean and not embarrassing, but I just don't get it.

oniryu101

Apr 7, 2011
I don't get people who get a lot of money or power and decide that it makes them untouchable. I did some work with a high class hotel and you would see guests all the time who felt that they were entitled to scream at and harass the waitresses and then yelled about lawsuits when we had to remove them from the building. Its not just rich people who feel entitled either, living in lower class neighborhoods I would sometimes run into small groups of 3-4 "gangstas" who would yell at me and try to mess with me, but would back down while still trying to taunt me if called them on it. Got to love concealed carry licenses.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Since there is some debate going on here, I will preface this by saying that although I am personally unable to derive any enjoyment/fulfillment from something, it does not mean that I look down upon it or refuse to accept that other people can like it, and completely understand that it is obviously of great value of the people who enjoy it. It is simply my own ignorance and thought processes that keep me from enjoying it, not the other way around

OT: I don't understand "mature" games. I mean games that have very serious/gritty/adult stories. None of it ever seems to be able to captivate me. It all just feels incredibly disengaging and boring to me. Like, for say, Mass Effect. For reasons I won't go into great detail about, I came into possession of a copy of Mass Effect 2 for Christmas from a parent's friend. Since they were nice enough to get it for me, I felt obligated to make a legitimate attempt at playing it. Unfortunately, I was absolutely bored to tears by it. It was no exaggeration to say that a few minutes into each session of game play, I found myself dying to turn the game off, because I found that it was dreadfully boring, and the characters seemed so bland, I couldn't bring myself to care about them at all.

Call me strange, but I have a preference toward melodramatic characters and fantasy versus harsh realism, which is why pretty much all I play in terms of games are JRPGs, some Nintendo titles, Sonic, and the occasional miscellaneous game like Journey or Scribblenauts.

Tyler Trahan

Sep 27, 2011
sammysoso said:
Cigarettes, Drugs, Alcohol.

I need to be in complete control of my mental and physical states. Nor do I get why they're "cool" in the first place.

The positives (if there are any) just simply do not outweigh the negatives.
This is how I feel about myself when it comes to drugs, alcohol and the like. While I can totally understand people partaking somewhat in drugs and alcohol I have absolutely zero understanding as to why people smoke cigarettes or do drugs and alcohol to excess. I mean why take a good thing (drinking to a buzz, smoking weed to relax or something) and take it to an extreme where you're puking in a gutter or essentially in a marijuana-coma? I dont understand at all. I also don't understand why people take certain drugs like heroin or angeldust; you know, the crap you never hear anything good about. To me it's just like "Where did you even get the IDEA to try this? Haven't you seen goddamn Trainspotting?!"

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
umboo890 said:
My neighbor is an ant-racist skinhead, apparently those exist, but it still confuses me.
Then again, I like Kamen rider, a thing many people would put on their list.
People who still like fat wreck chords.
Woo, I'll field this one! You see, the whole skinhead culture wasn't originally racist at all. In fact the originators were Jamaicans traveling to the UK to work the docks, and the shaved heads were for the sake of avoiding lice. What followed was was a cross pollination of culture, mostly of the musical variety. The Jamaicans introducing Brits to ska, a precursor to reggae. This along with pub rock sorta became the sound of the burgeoning skinhead culture. Then punk happened, which further shaped it all.

What ended up forming is called Oi. I kinda hate it as a genre, today it's mostly tough guy punk of a very limited variety with songs about drinking and fighting. But none of its necessarily racist. In fact if you run into racist skinheads they're more likely to be into some form of shitty metal.

But I digress! As I understand it the racist side of the skinheads came from neo nazi groups being impressed by the havoc caused by skinhead soccer hooligans and doing their damnedest to recruit some of them. When the media picked up on the whole thing it largely ignored and/or was unaware of the fact that not all, not even most skins aren't racist douches.

Look up the group SHARP. That stands for Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice. Most traditional skins (or "trads") don't consider the nazi skinheads actual skins at all. They've got colorful terms for them, such as boneheads. They actually actively resent nazi skinheads for ruining their public perception, and since 90% of skins love any excuse to fight, it's generally considered a bad idea being a obviously nazi skinhead and showing up at an Oi punk show.

...and only now do I read your second sentence and realize that you probably know all that shit I just said, you were just wondering why they were still a thing. I agree. Anti racist or not, the whole things silly and macho and they dress like toddlers from the thirties blown up to regular people size. I say this as a best friend and bandmate to a skin. I tell him this all the time.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I don't get ranty comedians like George Carlin or Bill Hicks. I've listened to them before, and maybe there's a joke here or there but mostly it's just complaining about shit. That's what I get from it anyway. And while ill find myself chiming in with a "yeah he's totally right!" From time to time I don't find myself laughing all that much.

I don't get metal. I've never heard such ostensibly talented musicians struggle to make music so grating to my fucking ear holes. Oddly enough I'm listening to and enjoying a d beat crust punk record right now so take this all with a grain of salt.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Do people count as a thing for the purpose of this thread? Coz people. Fucking weird things, those peoples. All sorts of unpredictable, irrational and downright confusing behavour from those guys.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Clubbing. I do not understand the appeal of clubbing. I do not enjoy it at all. Way too loud and crowded and expensive and full of dickheads.
Someone who agrees with me on this! I don't get the appeal of clubs at all, you spend a shit load of money, think you have fun and then can't remember it in the morning. What I don't get even more than clubbing is people who ask you why you don't go clubbing.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Most of mine have been hit already, I'll throw in straight up normal Bars though.

I don't drink to begin with, but even when I did or if I still did, I can't grasp why I'd pay oft-exorbitant amounts extra to go sit on uncomfortable furniture, eat generally terrible food, watch someone elses choice of tv (or music, whatever), and trying to converse in a noise-polluted room. All with the added issue of having to figure out transportation back to home.

Also;
The common venue of dating being "dinner and a movie". Neither activity really lends itself to social interaction (assuming you like to enjoy your food while its still fresh-pepared, and aren't a jerk chatting up in the theater". Which seems counter-productive to the entire idea of getting to know a person better.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Most of mine have been hit already, I'll throw in straight up normal Bars though.

I don't drink to begin with, but even when I did or if I still did, I can't grasp why I'd pay oft-exorbitant amounts extra to go sit on uncomfortable furniture, eat generally terrible food, watch someone elses choice of tv (or music, whatever), and trying to converse in a noise-polluted room. All with the added issue of having to figure out transportation back to home.

Also;
The common venue of dating being "dinner and a movie". Neither activity really lends itself to social interaction (assuming you like to enjoy your food while its still fresh-pepared, and aren't a jerk chatting up in the theater". Which seems counter-productive to the entire idea of getting to know a person better.
I think I might be able to explain the bar one. It's a different location, people often go there to clear their heads or think about things that troubles them. Yes, like in the movies, but for me personally, there's just SOMETHING nice about sitting at a bar nursing an expensive beer while just quietly watching things. People go to clubs for a loud, crowded atmosphere right? A bar is basically the opposite, a place to have a quiet drink in a place away from the norm.

OT:
Another thing I don't get is Polygamy/'Polyamory'; Is it some sort of ego stroking. I don't see the appeal in multiple romantic partners, or even multiple partners. I mean, I can understand open relationships or group sex as a kind of fetish. But why want multiple people? Or how can you even be romantically attracted to several people? I'm kinda old fashioned, but still, it simply boggles my mind.

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
VoidWanderer said:
I don't get how people can honestly think we are the only intelligent species in the Universe. I mean, seriously!?

Also, I don't get the captcha on this site, it terrifies me. I mean my cpatcha phrase is 'garden of eden'...
While I don't agree with it, a popular theory is the
http://btc.montana.edu/ceres/astrobiology/files/RareEarth.htm

This states that all of the factors that helped make life are so unimaginably improbable, that the mere fact that life even exists on Earth is excruciatingly rare.

I don't agree with it, but it makes some good points.

Tyler Trahan said:
sammysoso said:
Cigarettes, Drugs, Alcohol.

I need to be in complete control of my mental and physical states. Nor do I get why they're "cool" in the first place.

The positives (if there are any) just simply do not outweigh the negatives.
This is how I feel about myself when it comes to drugs, alcohol and the like. While I can totally understand people partaking somewhat in drugs and alcohol I have absolutely zero understanding as to why people smoke cigarettes or do drugs and alcohol to excess. I mean why take a good thing (drinking to a buzz, smoking weed to relax or something) and take it to an extreme where you're puking in a gutter or essentially in a marijuana-coma? I dont understand at all. I also don't understand why people take certain drugs like heroin or angeldust; you know, the crap you never hear anything good about. To me it's just like "Where did you even get the IDEA to try this? Haven't you seen goddamn Trainspotting?!"
It's the idea that just a little bit more will make the effect even stronger. Soon enough we forget how much we've drank, and boom, you're vomiting and waking up to a splitting headache.

Seth Carter said:

It's both the social interactions, and also a place of easy individuals to pick up for a night of sex. But even if you go without sex in mind, it's just the fact that you'll have some company that draws people to bars.

Drinking alone can be very depressing for some people, even if it's cheaper.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Fashion and brand clothes
I mean, buying quality clothes is always smart choice
Why buy clothes that are obviously inferior with inflated price tag, that is somehow justified by "status" is beyond me
And don't even mention "high" fashion :/
Edit: I must admit, they sometimes look good, but only SOMETIMES

hazabaza1 said:
Agreed on the stripclubs.
Also furries.

It's like... either fuck animals or fuck humans. Don't mix dat shit together, yo.
But.. but humans already ARE animals

and no, not only because of this song ;)

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I don't get people being wilfully ignorant. About anything, really. Like those fundies that claim Goddidit just because an old book says so, even in the face of mountains of opposing evidence. Or the Chris Brown fangirls that keep on trying to demonise Rhianna, the woman he put in hospitial, a fact that he bassically brags about to this day. Or all those rich assholes clinging to their tax loopholes and offshore banks to save money when their pocket change could probably get rid of the economic crisis overnight.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I just don't 'get' smoking.
I'm with you on that. Smoking has always repulsed me, I'm not sure exactly what the pro's are to balance the kind of con list that includes cancer of many kinds, awful breath, awful smelling abodes & cars, and a deep financial drain if you're quite a serious smoker. It just doesn't sit with me, at all. It's also an instant deal breaker as far as relationships are concerned. Fortunately, I'm with a lovely girl who shares my views, so it's all good. :)

I managed to convince my mum to quit many years ago, I dread to think what her health would be like if she'd have continued.

Sku1c

Jan 19, 2013
Social etiquette in general.

Society's norm, the most commonly accepted consensus doesn't make it the sole or right once.

Politics, Berlusconi, that is all.

Money, who invented this crap again?

In short you could just say I don't understand the world entire.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Mr_Universal said:
Musical instruments. I Just don´t get how people learn to use them.
I believe its years and years of practice.

I have always had trouble with any art form that requires minute hand motions (Writing, drawing, etc). At the same time I have always had trouble with viewing things in a certain way that allows for the capacity of creation. Straight Lines for example are rudimentary, but understanding the technique in drawing a curve or circular object is something that takes me forever to 'get'.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
First thing that came to mind is casual and/or recreational sex.

Well, it's more like I can get that people do it, I just don't know how they can.

I've thought of it over and over and over... And still I've yet to get a clear answer. I find one more end up in its place.