Things you regret saying on forums

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I regret seeing and then deciding "Hey, let's put my opinion in an ism thread which will descend into a massive shitstorm in an -ism thread! :D"

Oh, and I regret saying that I enjoyed playing RE: ORC, that too.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not any case I can think of. I avoid flame baiting and don't like to argue on the internet so there isn't much to regret. I also usually read through what I've written once or twice before posting, so if it is a sensitive issue or something I don't care enough about to back up I close the thread.
Which is why at least a third of everything I write doesn't get posted.

Edit: No, wait, I do remember one occasion!
Long story short; 14-year old girl knew some older guy who gave her booze, the guy constantly begged for sex, she didn't want to but kept using him for free alcohol, he offers her money as well, which she refuses, eventually gives in and has consensual sex, regrets it afterwards and asks if she should report him for rape.

I said she was fucking stupid and should've taken the money if she was gonna have sex with him anyway. Caused a huuuge shitstorm. Don't regret what I said, but having an entire forum constantly quoting me got pretty tiresome. Their rage lasted for days.
I now suspect she was trolling, but this was before that was a thing.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
RanD00M said:
Not a damn fucking things. Most things I have said in the past I will stick with in the present for I can do no wrong.
Same as this. I regret no post I ever made and still stand behind them all. To be honest if i had to do it all over again i would do it the same way.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I never regretted the message, but I occasionally regret the delivery.

I once implied that PC gamers put WAY too much investment into their choice of machines as a measure of human worth, even by the standard of console fanboys, especially on this site. I still stand by that statement, but the way I said it was dickish.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Atbird said:
I. Um. How? He underlined the mistake you made. How did you not see that?
I think he made the mistake as a word beginning with 'D' it is preceded by 'a' because 'D' is a consonant sound.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh, many. Why would I bring them up here, though? I'd rather that people DIDN'T remember them. (I think my post count is high enough to dissuade people from digging for them. :p)

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I REGRET NOTHING!
Honestly, I can be a bit of an idiot sometimes, but I'm human, it's not like I have no self control, I say some things which are less than thought out sometimes, but I don't tend to intentionally insult people, I don't threaten people, and I'm mature enough to own up to my words, if any of you were to ask me to my face if I was the one who said something in my post, I would say yes, why? Because, if someone is immature enough to hold something I've said on a forum personally enough to take offense to it, that's THEIR problem.

Cheers, and here's to tomorrow, no regrets, live and learn, but do not regret your mistakes, as in regret, you may find denial, and in denial, learning is impossible.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
RanD00M said:
Atbird said:
I think he made the mistake as a word beginning with 'D' it is preceded by 'a' because 'D' is a consonant sound.
I think he was referring to the fact that you used "a" with a plural.

My work here is done. Pedant away!

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Oh, many. Why would I bring them up here, though? I'd rather that people DIDN'T remember them. (I think my post count is high enough to dissuade people from digging for them. :p)
"The Xbox 360 will always have better graphics than any PC!" Said by ignorant fanboy at lunch. I did a spit-take.
You actually have very sensible first posts compared to the regret and shame I now feel of my own

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Urgh76 said:
lacktheknack said:
"The Xbox 360 will always have better graphics than any PC!" Said by ignorant fanboy at lunch. I did a spit-take.
You actually have very sensible first posts compared to the regret and shame I now feel of my own
Gah! I guess I asked for that.

But it's OK, the most regret-worthy posts are between posts- uhhhhh, 1000 and 17000.

Yeah.

That range.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I often end up playing devil's advocate on these forums and I often regret some of the responses I get because of it. A lot of people here refuse to see the flip-side of every coin.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Just earlier today actually, on a completely different forum. Last night I decided to throw my two cents into a religion thread, and...wow. I learned what it means to "seethe with rage." It's basically the entire forum vs. one girl, but believe me, you should see the shit she's advocating. It's unbelievable (And no, this has nothing to do with the usual stuff on equal rights and whatnot. The word 'unbelievable' is completely accurate). I want to go in more detail, but after earlier I don't really want to reiterate it on the off-chance someone from there sees this. I know that sounds silly, but I have a good reason.

You see, this forum also has a status system, which is essentially a built-in Twitter feed. Earlier I decided to say something about how glad I was that the thread had calmed down a little and seemed to be inactive. I don't know what kind of responses I was expecting, maybe a few people in agreement or something, maybe nothing at all. What I did not expect, at all, was for the exact same girl to see it within five seconds of me posting it. Do you have any idea how many status updates there are at a given moment, what the odds are of someone not on your friends list would notice it that fucking quickly? Thankfully nothing much happened, she just said something about how the thread is calm because she didn't have the time to post, and I said I was sorry if I came off as being too angry before. And yeah, I'm not really sorry at all (again, her bullshit is unbelievable) but it felt like the most diplomatic thing I could say lest I start a shitstorm.

And you know, I really probably shouldn't have mentioned anything to begin with. Which is why I regret it. Which is why I'm apprehensive about saying anything more on the subject on another major gaming forum where I'm willing to bet many members from the other one frequent.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Atbird said:
RanD00M said:
Atbird said:
I think he was referring to the fact that you used "a" with a plural.

My work here is done. Pedant away!
Yeah when you mentioned the plural I noticed it, however he underlined the wrong thing then. 'Things' was the error there, not the 'a'.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
When I was 10 years old and addicted to the Nintendo BBS (mainly the Metroid section) I uh... Got super jealous of this one guy for being really popular and just... Out of the blue started a flame war with him which resulted in everyone on the BBS hating me x.X

Also, if by some bizarre happenstance someone from those old BBS boards frequents here, sees this and remembers me... I'M SORRY!!! I was a major dick when I was a child >.<

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
bleys2487 said:
I'm a rape survivor. I always seem to regret ever bringing it up ://
Out of curiosity, was it you Daystar was arguing semantics with the other day?

EDIT: Just realized that was this same thread.

God, how oblivious am I?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Nothing in particular, but sometimes I can come across as more aggressive than I intend. I am quite a blunt and honest person in real life, and that doesn't always translate well onto the internet where you can't see body language or hear tone of voice.

VanQQisH said:
I often end up playing devil's advocate on these forums and I often regret some of the responses I get because of it. A lot of people here refuse to see the flip-side of every coin.
Or they assume that just because you don't 100% agree with absolutely everything one side says, you must be 100% for the other side with no possible middle ground.

I always used to get it in religious discussions. I'd argue against atheists making poor arguments, and people would incorrectly assume that I was a Christian.